我在工厂工作。也就是说,我确实在厂里工作过。只有我……-你有预约吗?-不,但你看,我知道…如果你事先约个时间就好了。
I work at the mill. That is, I did work at the mill. Only I… – You have an appointment? – No, but you see, I know that… It would have been better had you made an appointment.
伯恩利先生现在很忙。一个会议。
Mr birnley’s busy now. A meeting.
-但是我不能预约。——对不起。
– But I couldn’t make an appointment. – Sorry.
写信或打电♥话♥。
Write a letter or telephone.
这是毫无疑问的。
There’s no question of it.
但是,birnley先生…这四堵墙之间的一切都很好,但股东们会怎么说呢?
But, mr birnley… It’s all very well between these four walls, but what are the shareholders going to say?
£8300杂物吗?
£8,300 for sundries?
什么杂物?
What sundries?
戴维森随时都会到。
Davidson will be here at any moment.
现在,他应该能回答这个问题。
Now, he should be able to answer that.
伯恩利先生在等你。
Oh, mr birnley’s expecting you.
不,请听。让我解释一下!
No, please, listen. Let me explain!
拜托!拜托!
Please! Please!
-这是怎么回事?-哦,没什么。
– What’s all this? – Oh, it’s nothing.
请把这个交给伯恩利先生。我保证他会想见我的。
Please give this to mr birnley. I promise you he’ll want to see me.
我希望我的作品经理知道一切,戴维森,我不认为8000英镑是一个细节。
I expect my works manager to know everything, Davidson, I should hardly call £8,000 a detail.
从就业数据来看,伯恩利先生,霍斯金斯一定知道。
Judging by the job numbers, mr birnley, hoskins must know.
-谁是霍斯金斯?-你的研究主管,先生。
– Well, who’s hoskins? – Your head of research, sir.
你能找到他的私人电♥话♥号♥码吗,还是希望太渺茫了?
Well, can you find his private number, or is it too much to hope?
哦,做尝试。
Oh, do try.
这怎么可能呢?我把它们拿过来了。但是…让我跟他说。
How can it be impossible? I’ve got them here. But… Let me speak to him.
-哦,是你。- – – – – -你好。你做了吗?
– Oh, it’s you. – Hello. Have you done it?
-是的,但我…-请进。
– Yes, I have, but I… – Come right in.
看。我在问你一个简单的问题。
Look. Listen, I’m asking you a simple question.
怎么了,努森?
What is it, knudsen?
不,我不在乎他叫什么。我想知道他……
No, I don’t care what his name is. I want to know what he…
很好,然后。你必须找到他,把他送到这里来。
Very well, then. You must find him and send him up here.
不,不,当然不是。叫他走开。
No, no, certainly not. Tell him to go away.
你说不能是什么意思?
What do you mean, you can’t?
你一定知道他的地址。
Well, you must know his address.
见鬼,他只是个雇员。
Why, hang it all, he’s an employee.
现在,看这里。他叫我走开。
Now, look here. He said to go away.
她去找他去了。真的,她。
She’s gone to fetch him. Really, she has.
达芙妮,你疯了吗?
Daphne, have you gone mad?
达芙妮,我正在开一个非常艰难的会议,我不知道你在说什么!
Daphne, I’m in the middle of a very difficult meeting, and I don’t know what you’re talking about!
如果你不听我说,怎么可能呢?
How can you if you won’t listen?
好吧,不管是什么,肯定可以等半个小时。
Well, whatever it is, surely it can wait for half an hour.
你的朋友不可能那么重要…不,不,不!请不要!
This friend of yours can’t be so important… No, don’t, don’t! Please, don’t!
-啊,你终于来了!——不,达芙妮。
– Ah, there you are at last! – No, Daphne.
-听我说!-我不会听你的。
– Now, listen to me! – I will not listen to you.
-滚出我的房♥子!——我不会!
– Get out of my house! – I won’t!
克努森!
Knudsen!
你是个不负责任的小白♥痴♥。
You’re an irresponsible young idiot.
——爸爸!——克努森!
– Father! – Knudsen!
而你是个自大忘恩负义的老混♥蛋♥。
And you’re a pompous and ungrateful old ass.
——哦!克努森!——悉尼!不,父亲……克努森!克努森!
– Oh! Knudsen! – Sidney! No, father… Knudsen! Knudsen!
-不,爸爸,听我说。——克努森!克努森!
– No, father, listen to me. – Knudsen! Knudsen!
如果你认为我会把我的发明给你,你一定是疯了!
If you think I’d give my invention to you, you must be crazy!
除非你是世界上最后一个男人!即使我喜欢你!
Not if you were the last man on earth! Even if I liked youl!
即使你跪下来求我给你!
Even if you went down on bended knees and begged me for it!
我一分钟也不想在你家里呆了!
I won’t stay in your house another minute!
你让自己出丑了,神父。
You’ve made an idiot of yourself, father.
我很高兴地告诉你,你会后悔的。
And I’m delighted to say you’re going to regret it.
你需要好好打一顿。
You need a good spanking.
你都不知道他做了什么。
You don’t even know what he’s done.
除了花了我8000英镑,他还做了什么?
Well, apart from costing me £8,000, what has he done?
他做了一种新的布。
He’s made a new kind of cloth.
它永远不会变脏,而且可以永远保存。
It never gets dirty, and it lasts forever.
嗯,那太荒唐了。
Well, that’s ridiculous.
哦,是吗?
Oh, it is, is it?
你知道什么是长链分子吗?
Do you know what a long-chain molecule is?
你知道如果有一个无限长的,具有最佳链间吸引力的链会发生什么吗?
Do you know what happens if one makes one of infinite length, with optimum interchain attractions?
你知道这意味着什么吗?
Do you know what it means?
也就是说,要想破坏纤维,你必须分♥裂♥分子。
It means that to break the fibre, you’d have to split the molecule.
这意味着,实际上,它将永远存在。
It means, for all practical purposes, it would last forever.
它的表面带有静电。
And it has a surface charge of static electricity.
它排斥污垢。
It repels dirt.
当然,这可能是无稽之谈。
That may be nonsense, of course.
也许他真的没做过。也许他在胡说八道。
Maybe he hasn’t really done it. Maybe he’s talking through his hat.
另一方面,也许他有。
On the other hand, maybe he has.
也许你是在用你的。
Maybe you’re talking through yours.
重点是,你不知道,你也太固执了,不知道。
The point is, you don’t know, and you’re too pig-headed to find out.
£8300 ?
£8,300?
他们一定会问问题。
They’re bound to ask questions.
斯特拉顿,你马上和我一起去见史密斯先生。
Stratton, you’re coming straightaway with me to see Mr.
啊,鲍勃。
Ah, hoskins.
我决定授权斯特拉顿先生在这里继续他的研究。
I’ve decided to authorise mr Stratton to continue his research here.
我相信你会给他他所需要的一切。
I’m sure I can rely on you to give him everything he needs.
-是的,先生-你来了,西德尼
– Yes, sir. – Well, there you are, Sidney.
好吧,你拿到了你的合同。
Well, you’ve got your contract.
你会得到你的设备。还有别的吗?
And you’ll get your equipment. Now, is there anything else?
-只有一件事。-什么事,孩子?
– There is just one thing. – Yes, my boy?
我一直在考虑连锁反应的可能性,我觉得我们应该清理一下实验室。
I’ve been thinking about the possibility of chain reactions, and I think probably we ought to clear the lab.
-清理实验室?-只是以防万一
– Clear the lab? – Only as a precaution.
-你是说保密?- – – – – -。这太。
– Secrecy, you mean? – That. That too.
你是个精明的孩子。你看,霍斯金斯。
You’re a shrewd boy. See about that, hoskins.
你会看到,这事一点消息也没有传出去,即使在工厂里。
And you’ll see that not a word gets out about this, even in the mills.
嗯,也许我们会给我们的竞争对手一个小小的惊喜。
Well, perhaps we shall have a little surprise to spring on our competitors.
是的。
Yes.
好了,我们找到了。
Well, there we are.
我们现在试试好吗?或者你认为我们应该等到午饭后?
Shall we try it now? Or do you think we ought to wait until after lunch?
无论你说什么。
Whatever you say.
现在让我们来试一试。
Let’s have a go now.
哦,对不起。斯先生?
Oh, sorry. Mr hoskins?
——隔壁。——谢谢。
– Next door. – Thanks.
噢,斯先生。
Oh, mr hoskins.
早上好。我一开始不知道去哪找你。
Good morning. I didn’t know where to find you at first.
你能把这些钱用来记账吗?
Would you just ok these for accounts, please?
嗯。
Hm.
这似乎是一个惊人的数量。我…我想这是必要的。
It does seem an extraordinary amount. I… I suppose it’s necessary.
我亲爱的国王……
My dear king…
它不应该那样做。
It shouldn’t have done that.
账目上给了我们一个粗略的估计,先生,18,749英镑。
Accounts have sent us a rough estimate, sir. £18,749.
嗯嗯。可能会更糟。
Mm-hm. Might be worse.
再加两千块来弥补对大楼的破坏。
Plus 2,000 to cover the damage to the building.
什么?
What?
哦,我明白了。
Oh, I see.
——什么?——是的,先生。
– Anything else? – Yes, sir.
放射性钍吗?他想要那个干什么?
Radioactive thorium? Well, what does he want that for?
更多?Er。关上了门。
More? Er. Shut the door.
还有一份随时都有。
There’s another one due at any moment.
这一切到底是为了什么?
What is it all for, exactly?
如果你问我,我会说那是很多愚蠢的事情。
It’s a lot of tomfoolery if you ask me.
你好,我是霍斯金斯。
Hello, yes, hoskins here.
这里是《曼彻斯特每日快报》。
“Manchester daily express” here.
我们听说实验室发生了一些事故。
We heard there were some accidents in the laboratory.
爆♥炸♥。我只是想知道这里面有没有故事。
Explosion. I just wondered if there was a story in it.
一定是什么愚蠢的谣言。
Must be some stupid rumour.
当然,我们正在做一些结构上的改动。
Of course, we are making some structural alterations.
但是…但这也就是全部了。
But… but that’s all.
是的,对的。再见。
Yes, right. Goodbye.

There’s the
哦。烟花又放了。跟布莱克浦一样好,弗兰克。
uh-oh. There go the fireworks again. Good as blackpool here, frank.
是啊,继续下去会有人受伤的。
Yeah, someone will get hurt if it goes on.
如果有人知道,那一定是希德。是他在冒险。
If anyone does, it’ll be sid. He’s the one who’s taking all the chances.
如果你是个小工,你就会给他一笔保险金。
And if you was any kind of a shop steward, you’d be getting him danger money.
他太需要了。
Fat lot he needs it.
他很快就从工装裤里跳了出来,找到了一份轻松的工作,还有一大笔钱。
Jumped out of his overalls into a cushy job pretty fast, and a cushy pay packet too.
不管他得到什么,他都挣得不错。
Well, whatever he gets, he earns all right.
他是在帮伯恩利捞钱,否则他们不会把他推进去。
It’s birnley’s pockets he’s lining, or they wouldn’t have pushed him into it.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!