不,不,在你打开投影仪之前你必须把枪丝关掉,否则你可能会把4千伏的电压穿过阴极把它炸成碎片。
No, nol you must have the gun filament off before you switch on the projector, otherwise you’re liable to put 4.000 volts through the cathode and blow it to bits.
相当。
Quite.
我想这就是标本阶段了。
That’s the specimen stage, I suppose.
中间对齐部分。这是标本阶段。
The intermediate alignment section. This is the specimen stage.
当然可以。
Of course.
似乎没问题。如果局长满意,我们就走。
It seems to be all right. If the chief’s satisfied, we’ll go.
我想在我们掌握窍门之前,你不能让人单独待一会儿吧?
I don’t suppose you could spare someone for a while, just till we get the hang of it?
什么,我吗?-不一定是你自己。
– What, me? – Well, not necessarily you yourself.
也许是你的助手。
One of your assistants, perhaps.
哦,我明白了。
Oh, I see.
好吧,我……我想也许我能行。
Well, I… 1 think perhaps I might manage it.
事实上,它可能很方便。
In fact, it might be quite convenient.
你确定你不太…忙吗?
You sure you’re not too, er… busy?
当然,有一些东西,但如果我在这里,你能给我一张长椅的一角…哦,当然,当然。呃…你去办一下,好吗,威尔逊?
There are a few things, of course, but if while I’m here, you could let me have a corner of a bench… Oh, certainly, certainly. Er… see to that, will you, Wilson?
我不能说,我确定。
I couldn’t say, I’m sure.
好吧,爱。告诉她周五可以付清。
All right, love. Tell her she can pay it Friday.
他今天早上什么也没说。
He didn’t say nothing this morning.
希德,这是怎么回事?哈利说你辞职了。
Sid, what’s all this? Harry says you’ve quit.
哦,是的,是的。
Oh, yes, yes.
——为什么?-你看,我…-你没被解雇?-哦不不不
– Why? – Well, you see, I… – You didn’t get the sack? – Oh, no, no, no.
-然后发生了什么?我得到了另一份工作的机会。
– Then what happened? – I’ve got the chance of another job.
——在哪里?-从某种意义上说,在伯恩利也是。
– Where? – At birnleys too, in a way.
-那你还没放弃?-是也不是。
– You haven’t quit, then? – Yes and no.
我得到了在实验室工作的机会。
I got the chance of working in the laboratory.
-是更好的工作?-哦,是的,非常喜欢。
– It’s a better job? – Oh, yes, much.
-还有更多的钱?-我不会得到报酬的。
– And more money? – I shan’t actually get paid for it.
什么?走着瞧!痂劳动力。哈!
What? We’ll see about that! Scab labour. Huh!
最好让工程委员会知道这件事。
The works committee had better hear about this.
-但我不想拿钱。-不想?
– But I don’t want to get paid. – Not want to?
我不管你想不想拿到钱!你必须得到报酬!
I don’t care whether you want to get paid or not! You’ve got to get paid!
哦,你不能这么做。它会毁掉一切。
Oh, you mustn’t do that. It’ll ruin everything.
只住几个星期。我向你保证。
It’s only for a few weeks. I promise you.
你打算怎么挣钱?
What are you going to do for money?
我正想跟你说呢,华生太太。
I was going to speak to you about that, mrs Watson.
我知道这要求有点过分,但如果我能欠你几个星期的房♥租…只有租。我不需要任何食物。
I know it’s a lot to ask, but if I could owe you the rent for a couple of weeks… Only the rent. I shan’t need any food.
-你不需要食物?-哦,我去找个地方。
– You’ll not need food? – Oh, I’ll get that somewhere.
你当然可以留下,斯特拉顿先生。
Of course you can stay, mr Stratton.
非常感谢。
Thanks very much indeed.
希德,你有麻烦了吗?
Sid, are you in trouble?
不。一切都很好。
No. Everything’s fine.
我已经……我在邮局拿了些钱。
I’ve… got some money in the post office.
不是很多,但如果你需要的话可以给你。
Not very much, but you could have it if you need it.
我可以在实验室里拿到大部分我需要的东西,但如果有一些零星的东西,我会告诉你的。
I can get most of what I need at the lab, but if there are a few oddments, I’ll let you know.
谢谢。
Thanks.
任何时间。
Any time.
我甚至很高兴,迈克尔,你没有从父亲那里得到钱。
I’m even glad, Michael, you get no money from father.
好吧。我可以更自♥由♥地说,我们想什么时候结婚就什么时候结婚。
All right. I’m freer to say we’ll get married as soon as you like.
你……你人很好,但我不会让你这么做的。
You’re… you’re very sweet, but I’m not going to let you.
什么意思,迈克尔?
What do you mean, Michael?
我可不想在发脾气的时候让你嫁给我。
I wouldn’t dream of letting you marry me in a fit of temper.
除非你能冷血地完成。
Not till you can do it in perfectly cold blood.
好了,我得走了。
Well, I must be off.
我得换个方向看看。
I have to look around in some other direction.
——爸爸……-我以为你已经走了,达芙妮。
– Daddy… – I thought you’d gone, Daphne.
父亲,我知道你对迈克尔的看法。
Father, I know what you think about Michael.
你以为他只想要我的钱。
You think all he wants is my money.
嗯我的。
Hm mine.
碰巧你错了。
Well, it just so happens you’re wrong.
他会找到别的方法去做他想做的事。
He’s going to find some other way to do all the things he wants.
——精彩!-他还想要我
– Splendid! – And he still wants me.
如果你想要他,达芙妮,那我很高兴。
Well, if you want him, Daphne, then I’m very glad.
现在你会改变对他的看法了吗?
So, now will you change your mind about him?
好吧,如果这意味着我会投资他尽管我看到了他的工厂,不会。
Well, if that means will I invest in him in spite of what I’ve seen of his mills, no.
就因为这里有个疯子,你就怪他。
Just because there was a lunatic in the place, you blame him.
-这可能发生在任何人身上。-比如在伯恩利工厂?
– It might have happened to anyone. – In the birnley mills, for instance?
我受够了伯恩利磨坊以及与之相关的一切。
I’m sick of the birnley mills and everything connected with them.
我越早离开家,我就越高兴。
And the sooner I leave home, the happier I shall be.
对不起。
Sorry.
嘿!等等!
Hey! Wait!
哦,嗯,嗯。
Hm, hm, hm.
好吧,好吧。
Well, all right.
啊,斯特拉顿。关于这件事我不太明白你的观点。
Ah, mr Stratton. I don’t quite see your point about this.
爸爸,等一下。我…
Daddy, just a minute. I…
birnley小姐!
Miss birnley!
-请不要告诉你父亲。-所以你现在为他工作了
– Please don’t tell your father. – So, you’re working for him now.
多好。他知道吗?
How nice. Does he know?
我等不及要告诉他。
I can’t wait to tell him.
——birnley小姐!不,birnley小姐!——下车!
– Miss birnley! No, miss birnley! – Get off!
再给我两天时间。一个,甚至。这比什么都重要。
Just give me two more days. One, even. It’s more important than anything.
它将震惊世界!
It’s going to astound the world!
看。你知道氨基酸残基聚合的问题吗?
Look. You know about the problem of polymerising amino-acid residues?
你说什么?
What did you say?
你知道什么是长链分子吗?
Look, do you know what a long-chain molecule is?
一个什么?
A what?
你知道什么是分子吗?
Do you know what a molecule is?
不。
No.
-像原子一样的东西?——这就是它!
– Something like an atom? – That’s it!
原子粘在一起。在这种情况下,就像一条长链。
Atoms stuck together. In this case, like a long chain.
现在,棉花和丝绸以及所有的天然纤维都是由这些链组成的。
Now, cotton and silk and every natural fibre is made up of these chains.
最近,我们学会了用更长的链来制♥造♥人造纤维,比如……人造丝和尼龙。
And recently we’ve learned to make artificial fibres with even longer chains such as, um… rayon and nylon.
你听说过尼龙吗?
You’ve heard of nylon?
氨基酸残基和碳水化合物分子。
Of amino-acid residues and carbohydrate molecules.
都含有离子基团。这真的非常简单。
Both containing ionic groups. It’s really perfectly simple.
我相信我已经找到了正确的催化剂来促进肽链末端的活性基团和碳水化合物之间的相互作用,
I believe I’ve got the right catalyst to promote interaction between the reactive groups at the end of the peptide chains and the carbohydrate combination,
而离子基团的电荷会使链交联,并赋予有价值的弹性性质。
while the charges of the ionic groups will cross-link the chains and confer valuable elastic properties.
在高温高压下…“然后给出一种熔融的液体,这样就有很大的可能性……“聚合”,赋予一个足够长的自然分子
At high temperature and pressure… “And give a molten liquid so that there is a great probability of… “Polymerisation, “to give a natural molecule of a length great enough
“授予可纺性”。
“to confer spinnability.”
只是想在床上读点东西。
Just wanted something to read in bed.
晚上,爸爸。
Night, daddy.
好吧,毕竟,我究竟能做些什么呢?
Well, after all, how the devil can I do anything about it?
这是什么?
What’s this?
嘿!
Hey!
给,我需要这个!
Here, I need that!
非常抱歉。这很重要。
Terribly sorry. It’s very important.
——啊。-等一下。我使用。
– Ah. – Just a minute. I’m using that.
-这是怎么回事?-我要见伯恩利先生。
– What’s all this? – I’ve got to see mr birnley.
-斯特拉顿先生,怎么了?-霍斯金斯先生,成功了!
– Mr Stratton, what’s the matter? – Mr hoskins, it’s worked!
-我成功了!——做什么?
– I’ve done it! – Done what?
纤维形成分子中的放射性基团没有催化内部重排,一点也没有。
The radioactive groups in the fibre-forming molecules haven’t catalysed the internal rearrangement, not in the least.
我认为聚合会在空间上受阻。
I thought the polymerisation would be sterically hindered.
-但不是我的笔记在哪里?斯特拉顿…呃…待会儿见。我要见伯恩利先生。
– But it wasn’t. Where are my notes? – Mr Stratton… Er… I’ll see you later. I’ve got to see mr birnley.
-你不能这么做。-我成功了!我做到了!
– You can’t do that. – I’ve done it! I’ve done it!
阻止他!阻止他!
Stop him! Stop him!
别让他走!别让他走!
Don’t let him go! Don’t let him go!
护士gamage。
Nurse gamage.
我要见伯恩利先生!
I’ve got to see mr birnley!
你被解雇了,明白吗?被解雇了!
You’re fired you understand? Fired!
你不能解雇我!我不在这里工作!
You can’t fire me! I don’t work here!
——什么?——这是正确的。他没有。
– What? – That’s right. He doesn’t.
现在,那么。
Now, then.
啊,姐姐!到这里来。
Ah, sister! Come here.
-怎么了?-他疯了,这就是问题所在。
– What’s the trouble? – He’s mad, that’s the trouble.
他需要强力镇定剂。
A strong sedative, that’s what he needs.
太棒了。
Fantastic.
完全是荒诞不经的。
Utterly fantastic.
-显然是个疯子。-是的,先生,确实很奇怪。
– A lunatic, obviously. – Yes, sir. Very odd, indeed.
我要见伯恩利先生。
Look, I want to see mr birnley.
我不知道他们其他的人在说什么。
I can’t get any sense out of the rest of them.
-这非常重要。——你的名字吗?
– It’s terribly important. – Your name?
我叫斯特拉顿。西德尼·斯垂顿。
My name, it’s Stratton. Sidney Stratton.