Who we’ve known and trusted, Edith.
应该保留起码的礼节吧
Here you sit… You can’t break his story.
既然你坐在这 又无力反驳
All you can do is thumb your nose at it.
就只能私下里蔑视他
Is that what you’re doing, John?
你是不是就这样 约翰
Are you laughing at us inside?
在心里嘲笑大伙儿
I wish you didn’t feel that way.
我不希望你有这种感觉
What you’re saying… It offends common sense.
你所说的与常识相抵触
So does relativity, quantum mechanics…
相对论和量子力学也是如此
That’s the way nature works.
这都是自然界的事实
But your story doesn’t fit into nature as we know it.
但你所说的和我们所知的自然并不相符
But we know so little, Dan.
但我们的所知如此浅薄 丹
We know so little.
如此的浅薄
How many of you know five geniuses…
你们有多少人能说出五个
in your field that you disagree with…
在自己的领域里见解不同
one you would like to strangle?
甚至想掐死的人
Strangle them all.
全掐死
It’s bad enough we have to listen to Harry’s idiotic jokes.
我最不能忍♥的就是 哈里的那些白♥痴♥笑话
Thank you very much, Edith.
十分感谢 伊迪丝
Maybe when I’m 110, I’ll be as smart as you are.
也许我110岁的时候能和你一样聪明
If you lived as long as John did,
就算你活到约翰那个岁数
You still wouldn’t grow up.
也还是长不大
Come on, guys. Take it easy.
别这样了 冷静点
How often do we get to meet someone…
这辈子能有几次机会
who says he’s a stone age man?
能碰到自称来自石器时代的人
Well, once is enough.
一次就够了
Edith.
伊迪丝
All right. A guy with your mind…
行了 以你这样的心智
You’d have studied a great deal.
一定学了很多东西
I have ten degrees, including all of yours…
我有十个学位 包括你们任何人的…
except yours, will.
除了你的 威尔
That makes me feel a trifle lilliputian.
这让我觉得自己真渺小
That’s over the span of 170 years.
一共花了170年
I got my biology degree at oxford in 1840,
我1840年在牛津拿到了生物学学位
So I’m a little behind the times.
当然我已经落后于时代了
The same in other areas I can’t keep up…
其他几门学科也是
with the new stuff that comes along.
我无法跟上新的知识
No one can.
没人能做到
Not even in their specialty.
专家也不例外
So much for the myth
别再讲这些关于不朽的
Of the super-wise, all-knowing immortal.
智慧超群 无所不知的谬论了
I see your point, John.
我明白你的意思了 约翰
No matter how long a man lives,
不管一个人活了多久
He can’t be in advance of his times.
他都无法超越他所处的时代
He can’t know more than the best of the race knows,
他不可能比这个族群 最优秀的人知道得更多
If that…I mean, when the world learned it was round,
如果是这样的话 当世人都知道地球为圆的时候
You learned it.
你也才明白
It took some time.
我也不是马上知道的
News traveled slowly…
那个年代消息传播得很慢
before communications were fancy.
通讯手段落后
There were social obstacles,
而且还有社会上的桎梏
Preconceptions, screams from the church.
比如偏见 比如来自教会的阻力
Ten doctorates.
十个博士学位
That’s impressive, John. Did you teach them?
很厉害啊 你每个都教过
Some.
一部分吧
You might have all done the same.
你们也都能做到
Living 14,000 years didn’t make me a genius.
虽然我活了14000年 但这并不代表我是个天才
I just had time.
我有的只是时间
Time.
时间
We can’t see it, we can’t hear it,
看不着 听不到
We can’t weigh it, we can’t measure it in a laboratory.
无法称重 也无法在实验室里度量
It’s a subjective sense of becoming
时间只是我们对自己前后变化的主观感受
What we are instead of what we were a nanosecond ago,
前一纳秒我们是怎样的
Becoming what we will be in another nanosecond.
后一纳秒我们又会怎样
The hopis see time as a landscape,
霍皮人将时间视为一种景观
Existing before and behind us,
它存在于我们之前和之后
And we move… We move through it,
我们移♥动♥ 在时间中移♥动♥
Slice by slice.
一片一片的穿越它
Clocks measure time.
钟表能度量时间
No, they measure themselves.
不 它们度量的是自己
The objective referent of clock is another clock.
一个钟的客观参照物只是另一个钟
How very interesting. What has it got to do with John?
很有趣 但这跟约翰什么关系
Oh, he…He might be a man…
我在想 也许他生活在
who lives outside of time as we know it.
我们所知的时间之外
Yes, uh, well.
对 那么
People do go around armed these days.
这年头很多人都会把枪带在身上
If I shot you, John… You’re immortal?
如果我向你开枪 约翰 你会是不死之身吗
Would you survive this?
你能活下来吗
I never said I was immortal, just old.
我从没说过我不会死 只是很老而已
I might die.
我会死
And then you could wonder…
但你也会在余生中
the rest of your incarcerated life what you shot.
痛苦的思索当初为什么要这么做
Well, uh, may I?
可以吗
Preferable to a gun.
要真是枪就好了
Will, that was a bit much.
威尔 你有点过了
Books.

Doctorates.
博士学位证
Yes, you have grown and changed.
是啊 你长大了 改变了
But there is always innate nature.
但人总是本性难移
Wouldn’t you be more comfortable squatting in the backyard?
如果每天坐在院子里 你会不会更舒服
Sometimes I do, will. Look up at the stars.
我有时会这样的 威尔 仰望星空
Wonder.
惊叹
And what did primitive man make of them?
那原始人怎么看这些
A great mystery.
一个很大的谜团
There were gods up there then.
天上有很多神
Shamans who knew about them told us.
这是了解他们的巫师告诉我们的
They still do.
他们现在仍然这么认为
Have you ever wished it would end?
你是否曾想过这一切会终结
No.
没有
Fourteen thousand years.
一万四千年
Injuries, illness, disasters.
伤痛 疾病 灾难
You’ve survived them all.
你全都幸存下来了
You’re a very lucky man.
你真的很幸运
Come in.
请进
John Oldman?
约翰·奥德曼
Yes.
是的
Charity now. We’re here to pick up the furniture.
我们是慈善组织的 来拿家具
It’s all yours.
都是你们的了
Here, take this chair. I’m gonna go drink in the corner.
来 搬椅子 我去角落里喝酒
You’re, uh… you’re donating it?
你打算捐掉这些
Everything?
所有的?
I’ll get more.
我还会有更多
Do you always travel this light?
你总是这么轻装上路
It’s the only way to move.
只有这样才能移居
Oh, you…
你…
You’ve talked a good deal…
你给我们讲了这么多
about your extraordinary amount of living.
关于你自己的故事
What do you think of dying, John?
你是怎么看待死亡的 约翰
Do you fear death?
你惧怕死亡吗
Who wouldn’t?
谁不怕
How did primitive man regard death?
原始人如何看待死亡
Well, we had the practical concept.
我们的认识很实际
You know, we stopped,
有人走着走着停下来
Fell down, didn’t get up,
跌倒 再也没起来
Started to smell bad, come apart.
然后开始散发恶臭 腐烂
Injuries we could understand…
我们可以理解外伤
If someone’s insides were all over the ground.
比如某人的内脏跑了出来
Infections… they were, uh, mysterious.
但是感染… 是我们无法理解的谜团
Aging…
至于衰老…
the biggest mystery of all.
更是谜中之谜
You realized you were different.
你意识到自己与众不同了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!