We’re not talking about reincarnation.
我们不是在说轮回吧
You’re not saying that you remember…
你所说的这些
whatever the hell it would be, 200 separate lifetimes,
所有的这些回忆 不会是在200个生命里
dying and being born again and yada yada?
生死往复得来的吧
One lifetime.
只一次生命
Some lifetime.
活的还真长
Maybe there is something to this reincarnation thing.
但也许还是有一点转世的意思
You’re supposed to come back
你注定不断的回到人世
Again and again, learn and learn,
不断的学习
And somehow, John, you just managed
约翰 你可能会以某种方式
To bypass all the other bodies.
超越其它任何生命
Well, what’s the point?
到底是怎样的
What about oceans?
那海洋呢
Didn’t see them till much later.
很久以后才看到
So how would you know an ocean from a lake?
那你怎么区分海洋和湖泊
Big waves… Something else.
很高的浪头… 还有其它一些特征
I can only surmise in retrospect.
我只能从回忆中推测
Were you curious about where it all came from?
你不对世界的本源感到好奇么
We would look up at the sky and wonder.
我们会仰望星空 发出疑问
“There’s gotta be some big guys up there.
“天上一定有神仙
What else made all this down here?”
要不怎么会有地上的这一切”
At first I thought…
一开始我以为
there was something wrong with me…
自己有毛病
Maybe I was a bad guy for not dying.
也许因为不死 我成了一个坏人
Then I began to wonder if I was cursed…
之后我又怀疑自己是被诅咒了
or perhaps blessed.
也或许得到了祝福
Then I thought maybe I had a mission.
然后我想也许我肩负使命
Do you still think you do?
你现在还这么想吗
God works in mysterious ways.
天机难测噢
I think I just happened.
我想大概正好落到我头上了吧
Hello?
你好
Yes, ellie?
什么事 艾莉
What’s wrong?
怎么了
Sandy?
珊迪
Coming.
来了
Yeah?
怎么
Do we have ellie’s midterm here?
这里有艾莉的期中考卷吗
Yeah, sorry.
有 抱歉
I picked it up with the periodicals.
跟期刊放在一起了
Got it.
拿到了
No, you’re worried about your parents?
没有 你担心父母
Don’t… Don’t worry.
不 不用担心
You passed, c+.
你过了 C+
Take care of yourself.
照顾好自己
Good kid.
好孩子
What does pre-Med need with history?
医学预科生为什么要学历史
Got it.
知道了
Thank you.
谢谢
Sorry, guys.
抱歉 各位
John, please continue.
约翰 请继续说
Come on, I thought we were done with that.
拜托 我以为都说完了
No! Let’s go on with it. It’s interesting.
不 继续 很有意思
Besides, I think he’s making a certain amount of sense.
而且我觉得他说得挺有道理
Like hegel… Logic from absurd premises.
就像黑格尔一样 从荒诞的前提推出逻辑
That Van Gogh?
梵高的那幅画
He gave it to me.
是他给我的
I was, uh, jacque bourne at the time,
我那时候叫雅克·波恩
A pig farmer.
养猪农民
A pig farmer?
猪农
I like to work with my hands.
我喜欢用双手劳动
He would come out to the place, paint.
他经常去我那里作画
We talked about capturing nature in Art.
我们讨论如何将自然捕捉到艺术品中
Turner, cezanne, pissarro.
特纳 塞尚 毕沙罗
Oh, the nolde landscapes.
还有诺尔德的风景画
Not in Van Gogh’s time.
他不是梵高那个时期的人
He would have loved them, though.
否则梵高肯定会很喜欢他的作品
Yes.
是的
Well, I don’t understand
不过我不明白
Why you can’t remember where you’re from.
你为什么不记得来自哪里
Geography hasn’t changed.
地理又没有变化
I learned that in…
这是我从…
Professor hensen’s tepid lectures.
韩森教授乏味的课堂上学到的
But you’re right.
但你说得没错
Where did you live when you were five years old?
你五岁的时候住在哪里
Little rock.
小石城
Your mother, she took you to the market?
你妈妈带你去菜市场
What direction was it?
在哪个方向
From your house. I don’t know.
我是说市场相对于你家 不知道
How far? Um, three blocks.
多远 三个街区吧
Were there any references that stuck in your mind?
你记不记得路上什么参照物
Well, there was a gas station and a big field.
有个加油站 还有大♥片♥田地
I was told I could never go there alone.
妈妈不让我自己去
And if you went back there today,
那如果你今天回到那里
Would it be the same?
还会是一样的吗
No. I’m sure it’s all different and built up.
不会 我敢肯定完全不同了 高楼耸立
Thus the saying… “You can’t go home again”
所以有句老话 “沧海桑田”
Because it isn’t there anymore.
因为已经不一样了
Picture it on my scale…
我的情况则是
I migrated through an endless flat space…
我在一望无垠的平原上四处移居
full of endless new things…
新事物层出不穷
Forests, mountains, tundra, canyons.
森林 群山 冻土 峡谷
My memory sees what I saw then.
我在记忆中看到那些东西
My eye sees freeways, urban sprawl,
眼里看到的却是高速公路和城区
Big macs under the eiffel tower.
埃菲尔铁塔下的麦当劳
Early on, the world got bigger and bigger,
早些时候 世界越变越大
And then…
之后…
think what I’ve had to unlearn.
我想我必须重写那些记忆
And now you’re moving on.
现在你又必须离开了
As you’ve said, there’s talk of my not aging,
像你所说 一旦有人 开始议论我的不老之颜
And when that happens, I move on.
我就必须离开
Well, it might make sense to set up your next identity,
这么说来 你就必须换一个身份
Your next ten years, and then just drop into it.
计划好下一个十年 然后开始适应
I’ve done that a few times,
我已经这么做过几次了
even passed as my own son.
甚至装成我儿子
“Oh, you’re an engineer, too?
“你也是工程师啊
You’re ben’s son. He was a good man.”
原来你是本的儿子 他是个好人”
Saves trouble with credentials and references.
这样能避免很多麻烦
On the other hand, I’ve been busted a few times.
当然 我也搞砸过几次
Spent a year in jail, Belgium, 1862…
1862年在比利时蹲了一年监狱
I won’t forget that…
我不会忘记那段经历的
For faking a government application.
我伪造了政♥府♥申请表
When’d you come to america?
你什么时候来的美国
1♥8♥9♥0, right after Van Gogh’s death,
1♥8♥9♥0年 就在梵高逝世之后
With some french immigrants…
跟一些法国移♥民♥来的…
moving on.
继续我的生活
An answer for every question.
你回答了所有的问题
Except one, John.
但还有一个 约翰
Why’re you doing this?
你为什么告诉我们
A whim. Maybe not such a good idea.
突发奇想 也许不是个好主意
I…
我…
wanted to say goodbye to you as me,
我想以真实的身份向你们告别
Not what you thought I was.
而不是你们所认识的那个我
Well, since this isn’t funny,
既然这不是笑话
We think you might have a problem.
那我们觉得你就有麻烦了
A very serious problem.
很大的麻烦
I’ve got boxes to move.
我要去搬箱子了
I’ll give you a hand.
我来帮你
Wouldn’t you have some relic, an artifact…
没有什么遗迹或者手工制品
to remind you of your early life?
能让你想起早年的生活吗
Like this, maybe?
比如这个

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!