drink the water, and breathe the air?
喝水 呼吸空气?
Prior to modern times,
现代社会之前
those were pristine.
那些东西都是很纯净的
We’ve extended our lifespan in a world that’s, uh…
我们已经把活动范围扩大到了…
not fit to live in.
不适宜我们居住的地方
You know, it could happen.
你知道 是有这种可能的
The pancreas turns over cells every 24 hours,
胰脏细胞24小时代谢一次
The stomach lining in three days,
胃壁细胞要三天
The entire body in seven years,
整个人体需要七天
But the process falters.
但这个进程并不稳定
Waste accumulates, eventually proves fatal to function.
废物积累终将导致器官衰败
Now if a quirk in his immune system…
如果那个人的免疫系统很特殊
led to perfect detox,
从而能够完美的解毒
perfect renewal, then yeah.
完美的再生 那么是的
He could duck decay.
他能够躲过衰老
Mm, that’s a secret we’d all love to have.
我们大家都想这样啊
Would you really want to do that?
你们真想那样吗
Live 14,000 years?
活14000年
Well, if I could stay healthy and I didn’t age,
这个…如果能保持健康而且不衰老
I mean, why not?
为什么不呢
Yeah. What a chance to learn.
是啊 多好的一个学习机会
Is anyone hungry?
大家饿了吗
You know, the more I think about it, yeah, it’s possible.
我越想越觉得可能
Anything is possible, right?
一切皆有可能 不是吗
After all, one century’s magic, another century’s science.
毕竟古代视为魔法的东西 现在都成了真
They thought Columbus was a nut job, right?
他们不是觉得哥伦布是疯子吗
Pasteur, Copernicus?
还有巴斯德(发明狂犬疫苗) 哥白尼(创立日心说)
Aristarchus long before that.
阿里斯塔克斯比他早(最早提出日心说)
I had a chance to sail with columbus,
我曾有机会和哥伦布一起远航
Only I’m not the adventurous type.
只不过我不喜欢冒险
I was pretty sure the earth was round,
我倒是挺肯定地球是圆的
But at that point, I still thought
但在那个时候 我仍然以为
He might fall off an edge someplace…
他有可能在某个边缘掉下去…
look around, John.
看看 约翰
We just did.
我们刚刚都掉下去了
I suppose there’s a joke in there somewhere,
我觉得他说了一个笑话
But I don’t get it.
但我没听出哪里好笑
There’s nothing to get.
没有什么好笑的
What are we talking about?
我们到底在说什么
We were just talking about a caveman…
我们刚在说一个
who survives until the present time.
一直活到了现在的穴居人
As you said, what a chance to learn,
就像你说的那样 一旦我学会了学习
Once I learned to learn.
这是多好的一个学习机会啊
Did you start the whiskey before we got here?
你是不是在我们来之前喝了威士忌
Pretend it’s science fiction.
就当这是科幻小说吧
Figure it out.
想想看
Okay, a Very old Cro-magnon…
好 一个很老的克鲁玛努人
living until the present.
一直活到了现在
What?
怎么
John just confided that he’s 14,000 years old.
约翰刚刚承认他14000岁了
Oh, John, you don’t look a day over 900.
约翰 你最多也就900岁
Okay, okay.
好吧
All right, spock, I’ll play your little game.
我陪你玩 斯波克(星际迷航中的混血外星人)
What do you want? What’s the punch line?
继续讲笑话 还要抖包袱
Every ten years or so, when people start to notice I don’t age,
每过十年左右 当人们开始意识到我不会变老
I move on.
我就会离开那个地方
That’s very good, that’s very quick, John.
很好 反应很快 约翰
I wanna read that story when you’re done.
你写完了一定给我看看
You want more?
还要听吗
By all means. This is great.
当然 相当有意思
All right, now…
好吧…
So you think that you are a…
你说你是一个
a, uh, Cro-magnon.
克鲁玛努人
Well, I didn’t learn it in school.
我也不确定
That’s my best guess,
这应该是最接近事实的猜想
Based on archaeological data, maps, anthropological research.
从考古数据 地图和人类学研究中
Since mesopotamia,
我把从两河流域时期开始的
I’ve got the last… 4,000 years straight.
最后4000年的事情都串起来了
You’re ahead of most people, so please, go on.
你比大多数人都厉害啊 继续
Well, you know the background stuff,
背景知识你们都知道了
So I’ll make it brief.
我就长话短说
In what I call my first lifetime,
在我自称的第一个生命阶段
I aged to about 35…
我活到了35岁
what you see.
就是现在这样
I ended up leading my group.
我成了部落的领袖
They saw me as magical.
因为他们认为我是有魔力的
I didn’t even have to fight for it.
我甚至都没和别人抢
Then fear came, and they chased me away.
之后他们产生了恐惧 把我赶跑了
They thought that I was
他们认为
Stealing their lives away to stay young.
我靠偷窃他们的生命来保持年轻
The prehistoric origin of the vampire myth.
史前版本的吸血鬼神话
That is good!
很好
First thousand years,
我对最初的一千年
I didn’t know up from sideways.
拥有确切的了解
How do you know the first thousand years?
那你是怎么知道这头一千年的
An informed guess, based on what
学术上的猜测
I’ve learned in my memories.
基于我脑海里残留的记忆
Most people can scarcely remember their childhood,
大多数人都不会记得自己的童年
but you have memories of that time?
但你还保留着那些记忆
Like yours, selective.
像你们一样 有选择的保留
You know, the high points, the low points, traumas.
生命的高♥潮♥ 低谷 还有创伤
They stick in the mind forever.
都会永远留在心底
Put down at 3 or 35,
不管是3岁的事还是35岁的事
you still feel a twinge.
想起来都还会隐隐作痛
Go on.
继续
I kept getting chased because I wouldn’t die,
因为我的不死之身 我一直遭到围追
So I got the hang of joining new groups I found.
所以我学会了加入新的群体
I also got the idea of periodically moving on.
还学会了定期离开
We were semi-Nomadic, of course,
当然了 也是因为我们是半游牧民族
Following the weather and the game we hunted.
要随着气候和猎物迁移
The first 2,000 years were cold.
头两千年很冷
We learned it was warmer at lower elevations.
我们认识到在低海拔区会暖和些
Late glacial period, I assume.
那是后冰川期吧 我猜
What was the terrain like?
当时的地貌如何
Mountainous.
山峦叠嶂
Vast plains to the west.
西部则是大♥片♥平原
West…Something you learned in school.
西部… 这是你从学校里学的
Towards the setting sun.
向着日落的方向
I suspect I saw the british isles
我怀疑我从现在的法国海岸
From what is now the french coast.
看到了不列颠群岛
Huge mountains…
连绵的大山…
on the other side of an enormous deep valley
耸立在深不见底的峡谷的另一侧
That was shadowed by the setting sun.
夕阳在峡谷里投下深深的阴影
This is before they were separated…
之后冰川融化了
from the continent by rising seas, as glaciers melted.
它们就被升起的海平面从大♥陆♥分割开了
That happened?
真是那样
Yes, the end of the pleistocene.
对 在更新世末期
So far, what he says fits.
到现在他说的都很吻合
Oh, yeah, into any textbook.
是啊 跟任何一本教科书都吻合
And that’s where I found it.
我是在书上看到的
How can I have knowledgeable recall…
如果我没有知识
if I didn’t have knowledge?
又怎能回忆起这些
It’s all retrospective.
都是靠着书本我才回忆起来的
All I can do is integrate my recollections…
我所做的只能是将回忆和
with modern findings.
现代的发现进行对比
Caveman, you gonna hit me over the head with a club…
穴居人 你是不是要一棒子把我打晕
and drag me into the bedroom?
然后拖进卧室
You’d be more fun conscious.
你要是清醒着就更有意思了
Oh, John.
约翰
Let me get this straight.
让我搞清楚一下

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!