If they don’t know, I’m the only one in the whole wide sweet world who does.
Swell. When you’ve told me, that’ll make two of us.
告诉了我就只有我们俩知道
Mathematically correct, sir, but I don’t know for certain that I’m going to tell you.
算术上是正确的,先生,但我不确定是否要告诉你
Don’t be foolish. You know what it is. I know where it is. That’s why I’m here.
别傻了,你知道它是什么 我知道它在哪里,所以我才在这里
它在哪里?
Well, sir, where is it?
You see, I must tell you what I know, but you won’t tell me what you know.
我必须告诉你我所 知道的,但你却不肯告诉我
太不公平了
It’s hardly equitable, sir.
No, no. I don’t think we can do business along those lines.
不行,不行,我们这样子是无法交易的
再考虑考虑,而且要快!
Well, think again, and think fast!
我告诉过你的打手,你想搞定这事就得先告诉我
I told that gunsel of yours you’d have to talk to me before you’re through!
I’m telling you now, you’ll talk to me today, or you are through!
我现在告诉你,你要不今天 告诉我,要不你自己搞定!
不要浪费我的时间! 没有你我也可以干
What are you wasting my time for? I can get along without you!
And another thing,
还有
keep that gunsel out of my way while you’re making up your mind.
你在下决心的时候,别让那打手靠近我
I’ll kill him if you don’t! I’ll kill him!
我会杀了他!我会杀了他!
Well, sir, I must say you have a most violent temper.
你的性格真是暴♥力♥
Think it over. You’ve got till 5:00.
好好考虑,给你到五点钟
Then you’re either in or out, for keeps!
到时候你不是加入就是退出,永远!
– Who killed Thursby? – I don’t know.
– 谁杀了德斯派? – 我不知道
可能你没有,但你可以猜得很准
Perhaps you don’t, but you could make an excellent guess.
我的猜想可能很准,可能毫无价值
My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy,
但史派德养出的小孩可不会笨到
but Mrs. Spade didn’t raise any children dippy enough to make guesses
in front of a district attorney, an assistant district attorney and a stenographer.
在检察官,助理检察官和速记员面前乱猜
你为什么不猜呢? 如果你没有什么想隐瞒的
Why shouldn’t you, if you’ve nothing to conceal?
Everybody has something to conceal.
每个人都有所隐瞒
我是宣过誓的执法官,一天24小时都是
I’m a sworn officer of the law, 24 hours a day,
你没有权利向我隐瞒犯罪证据
and neither formality nor informality justifies you withholding
evidence of crime from me except, of course, on constitutional grounds.
当然除了基于宪法权利之外
你与警方都指控我
Now, both you and the police have as much as accused me
of being mixed up in the other night’s murders.
涉及这桩谋杀案
我和你们俩以前都有过节,在我看来
Well, I’ve had trouble with both of you before, and as far as I can see,
my best chance of clearing myself of the trouble you’re trying to make for me
要想洗清你们泼给我的脏水
我只能自己将凶手绳之以法
is by bringing in the murderers all tied up.
And the only chance I’ve got of catching them
如果想抓住凶手
绳之以法
and tying them up and bringing them in
我就必须尽量躲开你与警♥察♥
is by staying as far away as possible from you and the police,
because you’d only gum up the works.
你们只会坏事
You getting this all right, son, or am I going too fast for you?
你都记下了,还是我说得太快了吗?
– No, sir. I’m getting it all right. – Good work.
– 我都记下来了 – 不简单
如果你想告诉委员会我妨碍司法公正
Now, if you want to go to the board and tell them I’m obstructing justice
and ask them to revoke my license, hop to it.
要求他们撤销我的执照,就快去
你们以前试过,结果只换来嘲笑
You tried it before, and it didn’t get you anything but a good laugh all around.
– Now, look here. – And I don’t want any more informal talks.
– 你给我听着… – 我不想再进行非正式谈话
我对你或警♥察♥都无话好说 我已经厌倦了
I’ve nothing to say to you or the police, and I’m tired of being called things
被每个想入非非的公务员 呼来唤去,如果想见我
by every crackpot on the city payroll. So, if you want to see me
拘留我或者传唤我,我会找律师一起来
pinch me or subpoena me or something, and I’ll come down with my lawyer.
I’ll see you at the inquest, maybe.
也许我会在审讯时见到你
Come on. He wants to see you.
来吧,他要见你
我还以为5:25之前你不会来,希望你没有久等
I didn’t expect you till 5:25. I hope I haven’t kept you waiting.
Keep on riding me,
如果继续嘲弄我
they’re gonna be picking iron out of your liver.
别人就得从你的肝脏找枪子
越低级的混混,越爱装腔作势
The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter, huh?
我们走
Now, let’s go.
走啊,这会让你在老板面前受宠的
Come on. This’ll put you in solid with your boss.
Come in, sir. Thank you for coming. Come in.
请进,先生,谢谢你过来
Here. You shouldn’t let him go around with these on him.
给,你不应该让他带着这些走来走去
He might get himself hurt.
他也许会弄伤自己
Well, well, what’s this?
啊,这是什么?
被一个跛脚的报童抢走了,后来又被我抢回来
A crippled newsie took them away from him. I made him give them back.
哎呀,你是个值得交往的人物,性格迷人,把帽子给我
By gad, sir, you’re a chap worth knowing. An amazing character. Give me your hat.
坐下
Sit down.
– 我必须向你道歉,先生 – 别介意
– I owe you an apology, sir. – Now, never mind that.
让我们谈谈黑鸟
Let’s talk about the black bird.
好吧,我们来谈
All right, sir, let’s.
我们来谈
Let’s.
This is going to be the most astounding thing you’ve ever heard of, sir.
这将是你所听过最令人吃惊的一件事
即使我知道你是这样见多识广的人
And I say this knowing that a man of your caliber and your profession
must have known some astounding things in his time.
你一定知道许多令人惊讶的事
What do you know, sir, about the Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem,
你有没有听说过
later known as the Knights of Rhodes and other things?
耶路撒冷圣约翰骑士团?
– Crusaders or something, weren’t they? – Very good. Sit down.
– 他们是十字军什么的,是不是? – 很好,坐下
In 1539, these crusading Knights
1539年,这些十字军骑士
persuaded Emperor Charles V to give them the island of Malta.
说服查理五世赐给他们马耳他岛
He made but one condition,
他只提出一个条件
他们每年进贡一只老鹰
that they pay him each year the tribute of a falcon
in acknowledgement that Malta was still under Spain.
借此承认马耳他岛仍然属西班牙治下
Do you follow me?
你明白我说的吗?
Have you any conception of the extreme,
你能想像当时
骑士团有多富裕吗?
the immeasurable wealth of the Order of that time?
我想他们混得相当不错
I imagine they were pretty well fixed.
他们富可敌国,先生
“Pretty well” is putting it mildly. They were rolling in wealth, sir.
For years they’d taken from the East nobody knows what spoils of gems,
他们数年来掠夺东方,没有人知道多有少珠宝
贵重金属,丝绸与象牙
precious metals, silks, ivory, sir.
We all know the holy wars to them were largely a matter of loot.
圣♥战♥对他们来说就是烧杀抢掠
武士们都很感激查理五世
The Knights were profoundly grateful to the Emperor Charles
对他们的慷慨
for his generosity toward them.
They hit upon the happy thought of sending him,
他们偶尔想到
for his first year’s tribute, not an insignificant live bird
第一年的进贡,不是一只微不足道的活鸟
but a glorious golden falcon
而是一只黄金老鹰
crusted from head to foot
从头到脚镶满了
with the finest jewels in their coffers.
最好的珠宝
Well, sir,
先生
– 你觉得怎样? – 我不知道
– what do you think of that? – I don’t know.
这都是事实,历史事实
These are facts, historical facts,
not schoolbook history, not Mr. Wells’ history, but history, nevertheless.
不是教科书的历史,但是历史没错
他们把这只一英尺高的珠宝 老鹰进贡给西班牙国王查理
They sent this foot-high jeweled bird to Charles, who was then in Spain.
They sent it in a galley commanded by a member of the Order.
骑士团一名成员驾船运送这只金鹰
It never reached Spain.
但从未抵达西班牙
A famous admiral of buccaneers
一个著名的海盗骑劫了
took the Knights’ galley and the bird.
骑士的船和金鹰
1713年金鹰出现在意大利西西里
In 1713, it turned up in Sicily.
In 1840, it appeared in Paris.
1840年又出现在巴黎
被人涂上一层黑瓷釉
It had, by that time, acquired a coat of black enamel,
看起来像个很古怪的黑色雕像
so that it looked nothing more than a fairly interesting black statuette.
在这种伪装下,它在巴黎到处流落
In that disguise, sir, it was, as you may say, kicked around Paris
for over three score years by private owners too stupid
超过了60年,拥有者都非常愚蠢
to see what it was under the skin.
看不出表面下的宝藏
Then,
直到
1923年
in 1923,
一位希腊商人,名叫卡罗斯康 斯坦丁在一家小店里发现它
a Greek dealer named Charilaos Konstantinides found it in an obscure shop.
不论是多么厚的瓷釉掩盖,都逃不过他的精明眼光
No thickness of enamel could conceal value from his eyes.
– 你开始有点相信我了吗? – 我没有说我不相信
– You begin to believe me a little? – I haven’t said I didn’t.
Well, sir, to hold it safe while pursuing his researches into its history,
为了在研究它的历史时,又能保证安全
他给它重新上了一层釉
Charilaos re-enameled the bird.
Despite this precaution, however, I got wind of his find.
尽管有这层保护措施,我还是知道了他的发现
如果早几天知道就好了
If I’d only known a few days sooner.
I was in London when I heard.
我听说此事时在伦敦
我立刻收拾行李,踏上港口联运列车
I packed a bag, got on the boat train immediately.
On the train I opened the paper, The Times,
在火车上,我打开泰♥晤♥士♥报♥
看到卡罗斯的家遭劫
and read that Charilaos’s establishment
had been burglarized and him murdered.
他被谋杀了
Sure enough, on arriving there, I discovered the bird was gone.
果不其然,等我到达那里后,发现鸟儿已经不见了
那是17年前的事了
That was 17 years ago.
我花了17年才找到那只 鸟的踪迹,但我找到了
Well, sir, it took me 17 years to locate that bird, but I did.
I wanted it.
我要得到它
I’m a man not easily discouraged when I want something.
我不会轻言放弃
一直追查到一位俄♥国♥将军身上
I traced it to the home of a Russian general,
他叫卡马多夫,住在 伊斯坦布尔,他一无所知
one Kemidov, in an Istanbul suburb. He didn’t know a thing about it.
对他而言,那只是个油漆雕像
It was nothing but a black-enameled figure to him,
但他天生爱唱反调,所以不愿意卖♥♥给我
but his natural contrariness kept him from selling it to me
when I made him an offer. So I sent him some agents to get it.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!