You always think you know what you’re doing,
你太精于为自己打算
but you’re too slick for your own good.
你有天会发现的
Someday you’re going to find it out.
史派特和阿契尔事务所
Spade and Archer.
旺德莉小姐
Yes, Miss Wonderly.
喂…
Hello?
是,我是山姆·史派特
Yeah, this is Sam Spade.
哪里?
Where?
加利福尼亚巷柯罗纳特公♥寓♥,1001室
Coronet Apartments, California Avenue, apartment 1001.
叫什么名?李白朗小姐
What’s the name? Miss LeBlanc.
我马上过来
Okay, I’ll be right over.
把麦尔斯的桌子搬出办公室
Have Miles’ desk moved out of the office
换掉门上和窗上的 “史派特和阿契尔”字样
and have “Spade and Archer” taken off all the doors and windows
改成“山姆·史派特”
and have “Samuel Spade” put on.
进来吧,史派特先生
Come in, Mr. Spade.
一团乱,都还没整理好,请坐
Everything’s upside down. I haven’t finished unpacking. Sit down.
史派特先生,我…
Mr. Spade, I…
我必须要跟你忏悔
I have a terrible, terrible confession to make.
我昨天跟你讲的那一切…
That story I told you yesterday
是捏造的
was just a story.
我们也没太相信…小姐…
Oh, that. Well, we didn’t exactly believe your story, Miss…
你名叫旺德莉还是李白朗?
What is your name, Wonderly or LeBlanc?
说真的,是奥夏克尼希,布瑞怡特·奥夏克尼希
It’s really O’Shaughnessy. Brigid O’Shaughnessy.
我们没相信你讲的那些,布瑞怡特·奥夏克尼希
We didn’t exactly believe your story, Miss O’Shaughnessy.
– 我们只是相信你的两百块 – 你是指…
– We believed your $200. – You mean that…
如果你讲的是实话,就不会付这么多钱
I mean you paid us more than if you’d been telling us the truth
付得太多了
and enough more to make it all right.
史派德,昨晚的事怪我吗?
Tell me, Mr. Spade, am I to blame for last night?
你警告过我们德斯派是危险人物
You warned us that Thursby was dangerous.
关于你妹的事,你撒了谎
Of course, you lied to us about your sister and all that,
但那不算,我们没上当
but that didn’t count. We didn’t believe you.
不,我不会说是你的错
No, I wouldn’t say that you were at fault.
谢谢
Thank you.
阿契尔先生昨天还活生生的
Mr. Archer was so alive yesterday,
– 如此真实和亲切… – 够了
– so solid and hearty, and… – Stop it.
他很清楚出来混,迟早要还的
He knew what he was doing. Those are the chances we take.
他成家了没?
Was he married?
他保了1万块的险,膝下无子,一个不喜欢他的太太
Yeah, with $10,000 insurance, no children and a wife that didn’t like him.
– 请别… – 本来就是这样
– Please don’t. – That’s the way it was.
现在没时间去担心那个了
Anyway, there’s no time for worrying about that now.
外面有一大群警♥察♥和副地方检察官…
Out there’s a flock of policemen and assistant district attorneys
出动,鼻子在地上嗅
running around with their noses to the ground.
他们知道我吗?
Mr. Spade, do they know about me?
还不知道,见到你以前 我一直在敷衍他们
Not yet. I’ve been stalling them until I could see you.
他们非得知道不可吗?
Do they have to know about me? I mean,
你就不能隐瞒我吗? 这样我就不会被盘问
can’t you shield me so that I won’t have to answer their questions?
如果我知道真♥相♥的话 也许还做得到
Maybe, but I gotta know what it’s all about.
我不能告诉你
I can’t tell you.
现在不能告诉你
I can’t tell you now.
等到可以时,我会跟你讲的
I will later, when I can.
请你信任我,史派特先生
You’ve got to trust me, Mr. Spade.
我很孤单和害怕
I’m so alone and afraid.
如果你不帮我的话,就没人能帮我了
I’ve got nobody to help me if you won’t help me.
请你慷慨一点吧,史派特先生
Be generous, Mr. Spade.
你很勇敢,还很坚强
You’re brave. You’re strong.
你可以给我些勇气和力量,我肯定
You can spare me some of that courage and strength, surely.
帮我,我真的很需要你的帮忙
Help me, Mr. Spade. I need help so badly.
我没权力求你,但我还是求了
I have no right to ask you. I know I haven’t, but I do ask you.
帮我
Help me.
你不需要什么帮忙,你很厉害了
You won’t need much of anybody’s help. You’re good.
都是你的眼神,还有你那悸动的声音
It’s chiefly your eyes, I think, and that throb you get in your voice
你说“请你慷慨一点吧,史派特先生”时
when you say things like, “Be generous, Mr. Spade.”
我活该
I deserve that.
我讲话方式挺虚假的 但我讲的事是真的
But the lie was in the way I said it, not at all in what I said.
如果你不信任我的话,都是我的错
It’s my own fault if you can’t believe me now.
你现在变得很危险哦
Now you are dangerous.
我恐怕帮不上你的忙
But I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to be of much help to you
除非我知道真♥相♥
unless I’ve got some idea what it’s all about.
我需要你那佛洛德·德斯派的一些线索
For instance, I’ve gotta have some sort of a line on your Floyd Thursby.
我们是在东方认识的
I met him in the Orient.
上个礼拜我们从香港飞到这里 他本来答应要帮我的
We came here from Hong Kong last week. He promised to help me.
但他却利用我的无依无靠背叛了我
He took advantage of my dependence on him to betray me.
背叛你?那你为什么还找人跟踪他?
Betray you? How? Why did you want him shadowed?
这样我才能了解他到了 哪一步,在见谁
I wanted to find out how far he’d gone, whom he was meeting, things like that.
– 阿尔契是他杀的吗? – 肯定
– Did he kill Archer? – Certainly.
他有一把鲁格尔手♥枪♥ 阿契尔不是被鲁格尔枪杀的
He had a Luger in his shoulder holster. Archer wasn’t shot with a Luger.
Mr. Spade, you don’t think I had anything to do with the death of Mr. Archer?
你不会是以为是我♥干♥的吧?!
– 是你吗? – 当然不是!
– Did you? – No.
很好
That’s good.
佛洛德常会多带一把 左轮手♥枪♥在外套口袋
Floyd always carried an extra revolver in his overcoat pocket.
干嘛老带枪?
Why all the guns?
He lived by them.
他是靠枪吃饭
他第一次去香港时,就是当一个
The story in Hong Kong is that he first came to the Orient
不得不离开美国的赌客的保镖的
as bodyguard to a gambler who’d had to leave the States.
赌客从此失踪,佛洛知道了…
The gambler had since disappeared, and Floyd knew about the disappearance.
我不晓得
I don’t know.
我只知道他总会全副武装,他睡觉时
I do know he always went heavily armed, and that he never went to sleep
床周围地板上总是铺着弄皱的报纸
without covering the floor around his bed with crumpled newspapers
这样就没人能静悄悄的走进他的房♥间
so that nobody could come silently into his room.
你挑了一个不错的玩伴哦
You picked a nice sort of a playmate.
他本来是能帮上我的忙的,如果他够忠诚
Only that sort could have helped me, if he’d been loyal.
– 你的情况有多糟? – 要多糟有多糟
– How bad a spot are you actually in? – Bad as could be.
生命有危险?
Physical danger?
我可不是什么英雄,死最糟了
I’m not heroic. I don’t think there’s anything worse than death.
– Then it’s that? – It’s that, as surely as we’re sitting here.
– 就这样了? – 就这样了,真的和我们就坐在这里一样
除非你帮我
Unless you help me.
德斯派是谁杀的? 是你的还是他的敌人?
Who killed Thursby, your enemies or his?
不晓得…
I don’t know.
我想是他的敌人
His, I suppose.
我很害怕,不晓得
I’m afraid. I don’t know.
根本无望,我不晓得你想怎样
This is hopeless. I don’t know what you want done.
甚至不晓得你知不知道要怎样
I don’t even know if you know what you want done.
你不会去报♥警♥吧?
You won’t go to the police?
报♥警♥?我只要站直了,他们就会蜂拥而至
Go to them? All I got to do is stand still, and they’ll be swarming all over me.
好啦,我会告诉他们我知道的,你必须冒险
All right, I’ll tell them all I know, and you’ll have to take your chances.
你很有耐性,你想帮我
You’ve been patient with me. You’ve tried to help me.
没用的吧,我想
It’s useless and hopeless, I suppose.
谢谢你,我会冒自己的险的
I do thank you for what you’ve done. I’ll have to take my chances.
– 你有多少钱? – 我剩下5百块
– How much money have you got? – I’ve got about $500 left.
Give it to me.
给我
– There’s only $400 here. – I had to keep some to live on.
– 这里只有4百块 – 我还得生活
– 筹得到钱吗? – 不行
– Well, can’t you get some more? – No.
没东西可换钱吗?
Haven’t you got anything you can raise some money on?
– I’ve got some furs and a little jewelry. – You’ll have to hock them.
– 我有貂皮大衣和珠宝 – 当掉
给你
There you are.
我马上回来,带最好的消息给你
I’ll be back as soon as I can with the best news I can manage.
我会按四声门铃… 长…短…长…短…
I’ll ring four times, long, short, long, short.
And no, you needn’t bother to come to the door. I’ll let myself in.
你不用去开门,我自己会进来
Anything stirring?
有好消息吗?
Did you send the flowers?
花是你送来的吗?
You’re invaluable, darling. Say, get my lawyer on the phone, will you?
你真是无价之宝,亲爱的 帮我接律师,好吗?
Hello, Sid?
喂,锡德?
I think I’m going to have to tell a coroner to go to blazes, Sid.
我要让一个验尸官去死了
Hey, can I hide behind the sanctity of my client’s identity,
我可不可以像牧师或律师那样
secrets and what-nots all the same, priest or lawyer?
保留客户的神圣秘密?
我知道,但邓迪变得有点粗暴
Yeah, I know, but Dundy’s getting a little rambunctious,
and maybe it is a bit thick this time.
这次有点过分
站在安全这一边要付出多少代价?
Yeah. What’ll it cost to be on the safe side?
Well, maybe it’s worth it. Okay, go ahead.
好吧,也许值得,就这么办
栀子花
Gardenia.
快,亲爱的,带他进来