If we must spend another year on the quest,
如果必须再花一年时间追寻
也不过是百上加斤罢了
well, sir, it will be an additional expenditure in time
of only five and fifteen-seventeenths percent.
只占个5.57%
我要跟你去
I’m going with you.
威曼?
Wilmer.
好大一群贼啊
A swell lot of thieves.
We’ve little enough to boast about, sir, but the world hasn’t come to an end
你没什么好得意的,先生,还没到山穷水尽
只不过是小小挫败
just because we’ve run into a little setback.
– I must ask you for that envelope. – I held up my end. You got your dingus.
– 我必须索回那笔钱 – 我达成了我的协议,你拿到了那玩意
It’s your hard luck, not mine, it wasn’t what you wanted.
你自己运气不好,不是我的,这不是你想要的
先生,我们都失败了
Now, come, sir, we’ve all failed,
你不能要我们负担全部损失
and there’s no reason for expecting any of us to bear the whole brunt.
In short, sir, I must ask you for my $10,000.
简而言之,请把1万元还给我
这算是偿付我的时间与精神
This’ll take care of my time and expenses.
Now, sir, we’ll say goodbye to you,
现在让我们道别
除非你想跟我们去伊斯坦布尔
unless you care to undertake the Istanbul expedition with us.
You don’t?
你不去?
Well, frankly, sir, I’d like to have you along.
我倒希望你能同行
你是个足智多谋的角色
You’re a man of nice judgment and many resources.
Now that there’s no alternative,
既然没得选择了
我想你能够应付警♥察♥的,不需要替罪羊
I daresay you’ll manage the police without a fall guy.
I’ll make out all right.
我会没事的
Well, sir, the shortest farewells are best. Adieu.
道别不需冗长,拜拜
And to you, Miss O’Shaughnessy, I leave the rara avis on the table there
你也是,奥夏克尼希小姐,那件珍品就留给你
作为纪念好了
as a little memento.
喂,柏郝斯警探在吗?
Hello. Is Sergeant Polhaus there?
请找他听电♥话♥,我是山姆·史派特
Yeah. Put him on. This is Sam Spade.
听好,我有情报要告诉你
Hello. Tom? Now, listen. I’ve got something for you. Here it is.
Jacoby and Thursby were killed by a kid named Wilmer Cook.
一个叫威曼的小子杀了耶哥与德斯派
他年约20,1米68,穿灰色大衣
Yeah. He’s about 20 years old, 5’6″, wearing a gray overcoat.
He’s working for a man named Kasper Gutman.
他替一个叫顾德曼的工作
他重达136公斤,很好认
Now, you can’t miss Gutman. He must weigh 300 pounds.
That fellow Cairo’s in with him, too.
开罗也跟他们在一起
They just left here for the Alexandria Hotel.
他们刚离开亚力山卓旅馆
你得快行动,他们想要溜出城外
But you’ll have to move fast. They’re blowing town.
要小心那个威曼
Now, watch yourself when you go up against the kid.
Yes, that’s right. Very.
就这样
祝你好运
Now, good luck, Tom.
They’ll talk, when they’re nailed, about us. We’re sitting on dynamite.
他们一旦被抓,就会供出我们,我们坐在火♥药♥桶上
我们只有几分钟应付警♥察♥,告诉我一切,要快
We’ve only got minutes to get set for the police. Now, give me all of it, fast.
When you first came to my office, why did you want Thursby shadowed?
你第一次来我办公室时 为何想要跟踪德斯派?
I told you, Sam. I thought he was betraying me, and I wanted to find out.
我告诉你了,我以为他 要背叛我,我想查明
That’s a lie! You had Thursby hooked,
别说谎!你已经钩住德斯派了
你知道的,你想在船长带 着赃物来前,干掉德斯派
and you knew it, and you wanted to get rid of him before Jacoby came with the loot,
这样你就不需要跟他瓜分,你的计划是什么?
so you wouldn’t have to split it with him. Isn’t that so? What was your scheme?
I thought if he knew someone was following him,
我以为如果他知道有人跟着他
他会被吓走
he’d be frightened into going away.
麦尔斯没有笨到会第一晚就被发现
Miles wasn’t clumsy enough to be spotted the first night.
You told Thursby he was being followed.
你告诉了德斯派他被人跟踪
我告诉了他
I told him.
I told him.
我告诉了他
Yes, but please believe me, Sam.
是的,但请相信我,山姆
如果我知道佛洛德会杀麦尔斯 我就不会告诉他
I wouldn’t have told him if I thought Floyd would kill him.
If you thought he wouldn’t kill Miles, you were right, angel.
不错,他不会杀麦尔斯,亲爱的
麦尔斯没有什么大脑,但他作为侦探
Miles hadn’t many brains, but he’d had too many years experience
经验丰富,不会那样被他跟踪的人逮到
as a detective to be caught like that by a man he was shadowing
up a blind alley with his gun on his hip and his overcoat buttoned.
跑到死胡同里,枪都没拔♥出♥来♥,外套还扣着
But he’d have gone up there with you, angel.
他肯定是和你去那里的,亲爱的
他色迷心窍
He was just dumb enough for that.
He’d have looked you up and down, and licked his lips and gone,
他跟着你,流着口水
咧着嘴笑
grinning from ear to ear.
And you could have stood as close to him as you liked in the dark
你在黑暗中可以靠近他
and put a hole through him with a gun you got from Thursby that evening.
然后开枪杀了他,用德斯派给你的枪
别,山姆,别那样说!
Don’t, Sam. Don’t say that!
Stop it! The police’ll be here any minute! Now talk!
闭嘴!警♥察♥随时就到!说啊!
你为什么指控我…
Why do you accuse me…
This isn’t the time for that schoolgirl act!
现在没时间扮纯情女学生了!
We’re both of us sitting under the gallows!
我们两个都岌岌可危
你为什么要杀麦尔斯?
Now, why did you shoot Miles?
我本来不想
I didn’t mean to at first, really, I didn’t.
But when I found out that Floyd couldn’t be frightened…
但当我后来发现德斯派,没那么容易害怕
看着你我实在说不出来,山姆
I can’t look at you and tell you this, Sam!
You thought Thursby would tackle Miles and one or the other would go down.
你以为德斯派会擒住麦尔斯,他们有一人会被♥干♥掉
如果德斯派死了,你就摆脱他了
If Thursby was killed, you were rid of him.
如果是麦尔斯,你就会设局让德斯派被逮住
If it was Miles, you’d see that Thursby was caught and set up for it.
– Isn’t that right? – Something like that.
– 对吗? – 差不多吧
结果德斯派没有攻击他
When you found that Thursby wasn’t going to tackle him,
所以你就借了他的枪自己下手,对不对?
you borrowed his gun and did it yourself, right?
And when you heard Thursby was shot, you knew Gutman was in town.
当你听说德斯派被杀后,你知道顾德曼来了
你需要另一个保护者
And you knew you needed another protector,
顶替德斯派的人,所以就回来找我
somebody to fill Thursby’s boots, so you came back to me.
Yes! Sweetheart, it wasn’t only that.
是的!甜心,不仅是如此
我迟早都会来找你的
I’d have come back to you, sooner or later.
当我第一次见到你,我就知道…
From the very first instant I saw you, I knew.
如果你运气好,20年后就会出狱
Well, if you get a good break, you’ll be out of Tehachapi in 20 years,
and you can come back to me then.
那时候就可以来找我
我希望他们不会吊死你 亲爱的,那么美的脖子
I hope they don’t hang you, precious, by that sweet neck.
– You’re not… – Yes, angel, I’m gonna send you over.
– 你不会… – 是的,亲爱的,我要把你交出去
The chances are you’ll get off with life.
也许会被判无期徒刑
That means, if you’re a good girl, you’ll be out in 20 years.
如果行为良好,20年就可以出来
我会等待你的
I’ll be waiting for you.
If they hang you, I’ll always remember you.
如果他们吊死你,我就永远怀念你
Don’t, Sam.
不要这么说
Don’t say that, even in fun.
别这样说,哪怕是玩笑
I was frightened for a minute. I really thought…
我有一刻被吓住了,我以为…
You do such wild and unpredictable things.
你真的会做这种最野、最难以预料的事
别傻了
Now, don’t be silly.
你要去俯首认罪
You’re taking the fall.
你一直在玩弄我
You’ve been playing with me,
假装你关心这样设计我
just pretending you cared to trap me like this.
你一点也不关心
You didn’t care at all!
你不爱我!
You don’t love me!
I won’t play the sap for you.
我才不上你的当!
You know it’s not like that. You can’t say that.
不是这样的,你不能这么说
自从我认识你
You never played square with me for half an hour at a stretch
你一刻都没有对我诚实过
since I’ve known you.
你内心很清楚我爱你,尽管我做了这些事
You know down deep in your heart that in spite of anything I’ve done, I love you.
我不管谁爱谁!我不会上你的当!
I don’t care who loves who! I won’t play the sap for you!
I won’t walk in Thursby’s and I don’t know how many others’ footsteps!
我不会步上德斯派的后尘,我不知道还有多少前车之鉴!
You killed Miles, and you’re going over for it.
你杀了麦尔斯,所以你要为此负责
你怎么可以这样对我,山姆?
How can you do this to me, Sam?
当然,麦尔斯不会比我还要…
Surely Mr. Archer wasn’t as much to you as…
听着
Listen.
这样是没有用的
This won’t do any good.
You’ll never understand me, but I’ll try once and then give it up.
你永远不会了解我,但我要试一次,然后就不会再试了
When a man’s partner is killed, he’s supposed to do something about it.
当一个人的拍档遇害,就必须要设法做点事情
不管你对那个人有什么评价
It doesn’t make any difference what you thought of him.
He was your partner, and you’re supposed to do something about it,
他是你的搭档,你该为此做些事情
and it happens we’re in the detective business.
这是私♥家♥侦♥探♥这行的规矩
Well, when one of your organization gets killed, it’s…
如果伙伴被人杀害
就不应该轻易放过凶手
It’s bad business to let the killer get away with it,
这对所有私♥家♥侦♥探♥都不好
bad all around, bad for every detective everywhere.
You don’t expect me to think that these things you’re saying
你不会指望我相信这就是
are sufficient reason for sending me…
送我给警方的充足理由吧?
Wait till I’m through. Then you can talk.
让我说完,然后你再说
I’ve no earthly reason to think I can trust you,
我没有理由信任你
and if I do this and get away with it, you’ll have something on me
如果我们这次能逃过 我就有把柄在你手中
that you can use whenever you want to.
你就可以随时利用我
既然我也有你的把柄
Since I’ve got something on you,
I couldn’t be sure that you wouldn’t put a hole in me someday.
有一天也许你也会赏我一颗子弹