Do you always drop in just for the overture? – Good-bye.
请稍等一下
Oh, just a minute.
可以把雨伞也还我吗?
Oh, my umbrella, if you don’t mind.
接着
Catch.
真是谢谢你了
Thank you very much.
实在很抱歉
I’m terribly sorry.
你是我见过最无礼的人
You’re the rudest person I’ve ever seen.
你到底有什么毛病?
What’s the matter with you?
我想我是天生的
Oh, just rude, I guess.
应该要找个人跟你母亲谈谈
Somebody should talk to your mother.
他们试过了 圣约翰小姐 – 我不姓圣约翰
They tried, Miss St. John. – My name’s not St. John.
那肯定是圣约瑟夫 – 圣詹姆斯
St. Joseph, then. – St. James.
你的芳名是海尔妲 海伦 或者是海莉特
First name Hilda or Helen or Harriet, maybe.
海伦 – 好吧 海伦
Helen. – All right, Helen.
我还知道你来自俄亥俄州的托利多市
I also know that you come from Toledo, Ohio.
你是怎么知道的?
You do? How?
我足足有三幕的时间可以研读你的大衣
I’ve had three long acts to work you out from that coat of yours.
像是上面绣的名字缩写和品牌
The initials, label.
 俄亥俄州 托利多市 艾佛皮草公♥司♥
Alfred Spitzer Fine Furs, Toledo, Ohio.
或许我也该研究一下你的大衣
Maybe I should’ve explored your coat.
但是你没有 对不对?- 我来不及这么做
But you didn’t though. – Didn’t have time.
很好 我叫唐柏南
Good. My name is Don Birnam.
幸会
How do you do?
你还喜欢纽约吗? – 我爱死了
Well, how do you like New York? – Love it.
你打算长住?- 或许住个六十年吧
You intend to stay long? – Oh, 60 years, perhaps.
我在这里定居了 还找到了工作 – 你在哪高就?
I live here now. I have a job. – Doing what?
时代杂♥志♥ – 或许你能帮我一个忙
Time magazine. – Then perhaps you can do something for me.
请说 – 能否帮助我成为”时代年度风云人物”?
Yes? – Could you help me become “Man of the Year”?
非常乐意 你是做什么的?
Delighted. What do you do?
是啊 我是做什么的
Yes, what do I do?
我是个作家 我才刚开始撰写一部小说
I’m a writer. I’ve just started a novel.
事实上 我开始撰写了许多小说
As a matter of fact, I’ve started several,
但总是无法完成任何一部
but I never seem to finish one.
既然如此 为何不试试短篇小说
Well, in that case, why don’t you write short stories?
我有写过很多故事的第一段
I have some of those… first paragraph.
还写过一句剧本的前半幕
Then there’s one half of the opening scene of a play…
故事发生在比萨斜塔
which takes place in the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
内容试图解释斜塔为何倾斜
It attempts to explain why it leans
还有为何其他的建筑也应该跟进
and why all sensible buildings should lean.
托利多市的乡亲一定会很喜欢这个剧本
They’ll love that in Toledo.
对了…
Oh, by the way…
你下个星期也会来看罗安格林吗?
are you coming to hear Lohengrin next week?
我还不知道
I don’t know.
如果你会来的话
Because if you are,
我就要自己紧紧看好这件大衣
I’m not letting this coat out of my hands.
你不用这么担心吧 – 我是说真的
Don’t worry. – Oh, but I do.
为了安全起见 我们应该一起来看
To be really safe, we should go together.
可以啊
We could.
你的号♥码有登录在电♥话♥簿里吗?
Are you in the phone book?
有 可是我很少在家
Yes, but I’m not home very much.
那我打去办公室给你
I’ll call you at your office.
我在编辑研究部门
Editorial research.
如果是亨利鲁斯接的电♥话♥ 请立刻挂断
If Henry Luce answers, hang up.
我会的
All right.
我能帮你叫一辆计程车吗?
Would you like a taxi?
不用了 谢谢 我都搭地铁
No, thanks. I’m taking the subway.
你真聪明
Very sensible.
事实上 我要去华盛顿广场
As a matter of fact, I’m going to an extremely crazy party…
参加一个非常疯狂的派对
on Washington… Square.
如果你愿意 我可以带你同行
If you like, I’ll take you along.
多谢你的邀请
Thank you very much,
但我得赶去上城区会见一位朋友
but I have to see a friend uptown.
再见 柏南先生
Oh. Good-bye, Mr. Birnam.
再见
Good-bye.
那是谁丢的?- 它是从我口袋中滑出来的
Who threw that? – It fell out of my pocket.
你总是随身携带着烈酒吗?- 不是的
Do you always carry those things? – Well, no.
我要去探望的那位朋友得了小感冒
You see, that friend of mine uptown, he has a slight cold.
我本来想带这瓶酒去给他暖暖身子
I thought I’d take this along and make him a hot toddy.
你给他做点热柠檬 配上阿斯匹灵就行了
See that he gets hot lemonade and some aspirin.
我会的
I shall.
再见 – 再见
Good-bye. – Bye.
圣詹姆斯小姐
Oh, Miss St. James!
是的
Yes?
你刚邀请我参加的是何种派对?
What kind of party was that you asked me to?
那是个鸡尾酒派对
A cocktail party.
你还是欢迎我一起去吗?
Invitation still stand?
当然啰 来吧
Of course. Come on.
我知道 然后他们去到派对
Okay, so they go to that party,
他却喝得烂醉如泥 不省人事 对吧
and he gets stinko and falls flat on his face.
才怪
He does not.
这个时候 他已经深深的爱上了这个女孩
By this time, he’s crazy about the girl.
他改喝番茄汁 整整一个星期都滴酒不沾
He drinks tomato juice. Doesn’t touch liquor that whole week.
然后两个星期 六个星期 – 爱情的力量 是吧
For two weeks, for six weeks. – In love, huh?
这就是为什么这个故事如此难写
That’s what’s gonna be so hard to write.
爱情是这个世界上最难描写的东西
Love is the hardest thing in the world to write about.
它是如此简单 你必须从细节去捕捉它
It’s so simple. You gotta catch it through details…
像是早晨的阳光
like the early morning sunlight…
如何打在她屋前银灰色的水管上
hitting the gray tin of the rainspout in front of her house.
还有电♥话♥铃♥声♥ 如何让你想起贝多芬的田园交响曲
The ringing of a telephone that sounds like Beethoven’s “Pastoral.”
你随身携带着
A letter scribbled on her office stationary
她办公室里的涂乌废纸
that you carry around in your pocket…
只因为那闻起来像俄亥俄州的紫丁香
because it smells like all the lilacs in Ohio.
奈特 再给我倒
Pour it, Nat.
他以为他痊愈了
He thinks he’s cured.
如果他能找到一个工作
If he could only get a job now,
他们便能结婚 从此一帆风顺
they could be married and that’s that.
但事情没那么容易 奈特
But it’s not, Nat. Not quite.
因为有一天 那可恨的一天- 继续说
Because one day, one terrible day… – Yeah, go on.
是这样的 女孩不断写信回托利多市给她的父母
You see, this girl has been writing to her people in Toledo.
他们也想见见这位年轻人 于是他们来到纽约
They wanna meet the young man, so they come to New York.
住进了曼哈顿大饭店
They stay at the Hotel Manhattan.
就在他们抵达的第一天 她决定将他介绍给父母认识
Their very first day, she’s to introduce him to her parents.
他们约好一点钟 在饭店大厅见
1.00, lobby of the hotel.
这对纽约的标准来说是不够的
Oh, that wasn’t enough, not for New York.
他帮我洗头 按♥摩♥头皮 还有剪指甲
He gave me a shampoo, scalp massage and a manicure.
我还以为他们会把我的鞋子剥掉
I thought they were going to tear off my shoes
顺便帮我涂指甲油
and paint my toenails.
我的早晨倒是很愉快
I had a lovely morning.
我四处逛了一下
Just did a little window shopping.
我想保留体力来应付这个午餐
Didn’t want to get tired.
就为了见这个年轻人?
On account of meeting that young man?
老婆 你也太慎重了
Now, Mother.
那你干嘛去剪头发?
Who did you get that haircut for?
海伦怎么还不来啊 – 她很快就会到了
I wonder what’s keeping Helen. – She’ll be here.
这个柏南小子 以前是康奈尔的学生 是吧
This Birnam fellow… went to Cornell, didn’t he?
我记得是的
I believe so.
可他半途休学了 不知道为什么
But he never graduated. I wonder why.
他今年几岁? – 三十三
How old is he? – Thirty-three.
他没有工作 据我所知 他从来没工作过
He has no job. As far as I can find out, he never had one.
我真希望海伦能讲清楚一点
I wish Helen wasn’t so vague.
或许他家里很有钱
Maybe he has a little money.
所以不必工作 老公
Some people do, you know, Father.
可是男人总该找点事做 – 他是个作家
He ought to have a job anyway. – He’s a writer.
他写过些什么?我从来没听过他的名字
What did he write? I never heard his name.
老公 放轻松 你总是往坏的方向想
Now, Father, relax. You always expect the worst.
我希望他了解 海伦是我们唯一的女儿
I hope he realizes that Helen’s our only daughter.
我们该多知道一些他的事
We ought to know a few things about him.
我们早晚会知道的
It’ll all come out…
像成长背景 对未来的期望 和他的宗教背景
his background, his prospects, his church affiliation.
是曼哈顿大饭店吗?
Hotel Manhattan?
麻烦你广播一下 海伦圣詹姆斯小姐