And secrets should be kept.
不过你父亲当年却对我吐露了秘密
Although I think your father felt differently back then.
快往前走
Come on! Keep moving!
照这速度我们得在这儿待一周了
Or we’ll be here all week at this rate!
请你收下这…微薄的音乐礼物
Please accept this… small musical token.
对不起 我听不到你在说什么
I’m sorry, but I can’t hear you.
我希望你…
I want you to…
收下这份微薄之礼
accept this small token.
我听不到你在说什么
I can’t hear you.
祝你好运
Good luck.
谢谢 也祝你好运
Thank you. Good luck to you, too.
你哪天来看看我们吧
Why don’t you come and visit us some day?
我们住在莫特街27号♥
We live on Mott Street. Number 27.
我父亲开了家鱼店
My father has a fish shop.
也许吧
Maybe….
帕多安 好了 下一个
Padoan, okay. Next.
下一个
Next.
他再也没跟我提起那个姑娘 我也没问起
He never mentioned her to me again, and I never asked.
至少在随后的12次往返航程中没有
At least not for the next twelve crossings.
除此之外 他就如之前一样快活
Besides, he was happy just like always.
他受欢迎的程度也到达了顶峰
His popularity was at its peak.
然后春天的一个晚上
Then, one evening in spring,
在热那亚到纽约的途中
halfway between Genoa and New York,
就在大海上
right in the middle of the ocean…
三天后 我们到纽约时
In three days when we get to New York,
我要下船
I’m getting off this ship.
怎么不说话
Cat got your tongue?
不 我很高兴
No, I’m glad.
但怎么这么突然
But all of a sudden?
伙计
My man…
这太棒了
That’s aces.
我要去陆地上看点东西
I’ve got to see something down there.
什么
What?
大海
The ocean.
你开玩笑吧
You’re pulling my leg?
从你出生那天起 你就只见过大海
You’ve seen nothing but the ocean since the day you were born.
只是在船上
But from here.
我要去陆地上看 这完全是两码事
I want to see it from there. It’s not the same thing at all.
等我们靠岸 在船边俯身好好看看不就得了
Wait till we dock, lean over the side, take a good look.
就是一♥码♥事
It’s the same thing.
不是的
No, it’s not.
在陆上 你能听到大海的声音
From land, you can hear its voice.
在船上可听不到
You don’t hear that from a ship.
什么叫大海的声音
What do you mean, its voice?
大海的声音
Its voice.
就像是…
It’s like…
喊叫声
a big scream…
告诉你生活是无限的
telling you that life is immense.
等你听到了
Once you’ve finally heard it,
就会知道要如何才能继续生活下去
then you really know what you have to do to go on living.
我可以在这儿待一辈子
I could stay here forever,
但大海什么都不会告诉我
but the ocean would never tell me a thing.
但如果我下船 在陆上住两年
But if I get off, live on land for a couple of years,
我就会变成凡人 跟别人一样
then I’ll be normal. Just like the others.
或许有一天 我会去海边
Then maybe one day, I’ll make it to the coast,
瞭望大海 听到它的喊叫
look up, see the ocean, and hear it scream.
我不知道这些屁话都是谁告诉你的
I don’t know who’s been telling you all this bullshit
还是你自己编的
or if you’re just making it up.
但你知道我怎么想的吗
But you want to know what I think?
我觉得
I think…
你想下船 其实是为了那个姑娘
the real reason you want off this ship is the girl.
总是这样
It’s always the girl.
但即使不是为了这个 我也不介意
But even if it’s not the reason, that suits me just fine.
因为我一直希望你能下船
Because I’ve always wanted you to leave this ship
给陆上的人演奏
and play for the people on land.
娶个好女人 生几个孩子
And marry a nice woman and have children,
得到生活中其他没有无限那么夸张
and all those things in life which are not immense
但却是值得拥有的东西
but are worth the effort.
你会来看我吧 麦克斯
You’ll come visit me, won’t you, Max?
来陆上看我
On land?
当然了
Of course.
这样你就能给我介绍你孩子的母亲
That way, you’ll introduce me to the mother of your children,
邀请我周日来进晚餐
and invite me for Sunday dinner.
我会带甜点和一瓶酒来
I’ll bring the dessert and a bottle of wine
你对我说”你太客气了”
and you’ll tell me I shouldn’t have.
你带我参观你的家
And while you’re showing me around your house
你家盖得像艘船
shaped like a ship,
你妻子则在烤火鸡
your wife will be cooking a turkey.
我们一起围坐在餐桌旁
And then we’ll sit at the table.
我会赞美她的厨艺
I’ll tell her she’s an excellent cook,
她则说你总谈起我
and she’ll say how you talk about me all the time.
我要把我的驼绒大衣给你
You know, I’m going to give you my camel coat.
你穿去陆上会很帅气
You’ll cut a fine figure when you get down there.
我曾见过多少人在码头道别
How many people I have seen saying goodbye on the docks
其实心里毫不在乎
without giving a damn.
但我跟1900道别的时候 心里真不是滋味
But when I said goodbye to Nineteen Hundred, it was a real blow.
我们笑着 不停说”回头见”
We laughed, we kept saying “See you soon”,
但心里却知道我们再也不会见面了
But inside, we both knew we’d never see each other again.
-再见 -再见 1900 保重啊
– Bye, bye. – Goodbye, Nineteen Hundred, take care.
-再见 -好好玩
– Goodbye! – Have a good time.
冬天记得穿羊毛背心
Remember to wear your woollen vest in winter.
保重啊 1900 保重
Take care Nineteen Hundred, take care.
有时间给我们写信
Write us a letter sometimes.
-保重 -代我们向百老汇问好
– Take care yourself! – Give my regards to Broadway.
他怎么了 踩着屎了吗
What’d he do, step in shit?
可能是忘了什么
Maybe he just forgot something.
可能是忘了他为什么要下船了
Maybe he’s forgotten why he’s getting off.
之后很久他一直怪怪的
He was strange for a long time after that.
不跟人说话
He wouldn’t talk to anyone.
接连几天就自己待着
He preferred keeping to himself for days and days.
他似乎在思考很隐私的事
He seemed taken by very personal matters.
-然后 有一天 -瞧啊
– Then, one day, – Look.
我正坐在酒吧里
while I was sitting at the bar…
多谢你的大衣 麦克斯 很合身
Thanks for the coat, Max. Fit like a glove.
真是可惜啊
It was a real shame.
我好多了
I’m much better now.
不再想那些了
I’m done with all that.
就像以前一样
Just like old times.
1993年8月21日 我离开了弗吉尼亚号♥
I left the Virginian on August 21st, 1933,
证件 欠付工资 一样不差
with my leave papers and back pay. Everything in order.
我知道我迟早会离开大海
I knew that sooner or later I’d have been through with the ocean.
所以我离开了
So that’s what I did.
我再也没听说1900和弗吉尼亚号♥
I heard no more about Nineteen Hundred or the Virginian.
但我从未忘记过
Not that I ever forgot them.
恰恰相反
On the contrary.
战时我常自问
During the war, I’d always ask myself…
如果1900在这儿 他会怎么做
Who knows what Nineteen Hundred would do if he were here?
他会说什么
Who knows what he’d say?
他会说 去他妈的战争
Fuck war, he’d say.
但从我嘴里说出来 感觉就不一样了
But said by me, it wasn’t the same thing.
都那么多年了
A lot of time’s gone by, you know.
你怎么知道他没走呢
Who could say he really didn’t leave?
或许有一天 他真的去了莫特街
Maybe one fine day, he actually went to Mott Street,
去了那家鱼店 去找那个女人
the fish shop, and asked for the woman.
或许吧
Maybe.
康恩号♥ 你怎么了 晕船了吗
Hey, Conn, what’s the matter? You lose your sea legs?
你在哪找到那唱片的
Where the hell did you find that record?
你这些年都在干什么
What have you been up to all these years?
演奏
Making music.
战时也是吗
Even during the war?
即使没人跳舞了