You see, the Emperor is mad for all things Western…
天♥皇♥急着效法西方国家…
and the Samurai believe it’s changing too fast.
但日本武士觉得改变来的太快
The ancient and the modern are at war for the soul of Japan.
传统与现代在为日本的未来交战
So your new employer, Mr. Omura, is bringing in…
因此你的新雇主大村先生…
every Western expert he can get.
请来各种西方专家
Lawyers from France, engineers from Germany, architects from Holland…
法国律师、德国工程师 荷兰建筑师…
and now, of course, warriors from America.
当然还有美国♥军♥人
I came over with the British trade mission, oh, years ago.
多年前我跟随英国贸易团访日
I was soon relieved of my position.
但是很快就被解雇
I had an unfortunate tendency to tell the truth
我以前只会实话实说
in a country where no one ever says what they mean.
日本人却喜欢言不由衷
So now, I very accurately translate other people’s lies.
于是我学会翻译各种谎言
For 2000 years, no emperor was even seen by a commoner.
两千年来天♥皇♥从未召见平民
You have to realize what an honor this is. It’s all highly ritualized, of course.
这可是百年修来的天大♥荣♥幸 当然有很多繁文褥节
You may look at him, but do not speak unless spoken to.
你可以看他 但不能随便说话
If he stands, you must bow. If he bows, you must bow lower.
他站起来 你要鞠躬 当他鞠躬 你腰要弯得更低
Do I look presentable? I haven’t worn this in a decade.
我看起来怎样? 我有十年没穿这身打扮
Rather snug around the midriff.
腰身有点窄
And bow.
鞠躬
The divine Emperor Meiji bids you welcome.
明治天♥皇♥欢迎各位
He is grateful for the assistance your country offers.
他很感谢贵国提供的协助
We hope to accomplish the same national harmony you enjoy in your homeland.
我们希望像贵国一样平定动♥乱♥
The Emperor is most interested in your American lndians
天♥皇♥对印地安人很感兴趣
if you have fought against them in battle.
你们是否曾和他们交战?
We have, Your Highness. The red man is a brutal adversary.
是的 陛下 红番是顽强的对手
The Emperor wishes to ask Captain Algren
天♥皇♥想请教欧格仁上尉
if it is true they wear eagle feathers
他们上战场前是不是真的
and paint their faces before going into battle…
头上插老鹰羽毛、脸上涂彩…
and that they have no fear.
他们也无畏无惧?
They are very brave.
他们很勇敢
Bow.
鞠躬
Thank you very much.
非常谢谢你
And step back.
退后
Step back, step back and turn.
退后 退后 然后转身
Right, you little bastards!
你们这群没用的菜鸟
You will stand up straight or I will personally shit-kick
给我抬头挺胸
every Far Eastern buttock that appears before my eyes!
否则就把你们的屁♥股♥踢斓
Well done, sergeant.
干得好 中士
When you understand the language, everything falls into place.
只要耍狠 他们就会乖乖听话
The first rank will kneel, rifles at the ready.
前排半跪 准备开枪
The second rank….
第二….
July 22nd, 1876.
1876年7月22日
For six months’ work, I am to receive three years of captain’s pay…
我只要花六个月训练这些士兵…
teaching Orientals to soldier.
就能得到三年的上尉薪俸
They are an army of conscripts.
他们是征召入伍的新兵
Most of them are peasants who have never even seen a gun.
多半都是没见过枪炮的贫农
Fire!
开枪!
They are led by General Hasegawa, a man of small stature…
他们的指挥官是长谷川将军…
who nonetheless commands enormous respect.
他的个头虽小 却不怒自威
What can the general tell me about this man, this Samurai, Katsumoto?
将军对胜元武士了解多少?
He seems to have great knowledge of Katsumoto and his rebellion.
他似乎很了解胜元和他的叛军
I will count on his help when facing the Samurai.
我在面对武士时要靠他帮忙
Who supplies their weapons?
他们的军♥火♥从哪里来?
Katsumoto no longer dishonors himself by using firearms, you see.
胜元已经不屑使用军♥火♥
He uses no firearms?
他不用枪炮?
To those who honor the old ways, Katsumoto is a hero.
对传统武士来说 他是个英雄
How well does he know him?
他对胜元了解多少?
The general and Katsumoto fought together for the Emperor.
将军和胜元曾一起为天♥皇♥打仗
He fought with the Samurai?
他跟武士并肩作战?
He is Samurai.
他就是一名武士
You must understand. Katsumoto pledged his sword to defend the Emperor.
你要了解一点 胜元对武士刀发誓保护天♥皇♥
They say that a Samurai’s sword is his soul.
武士刀是武士之魂
Samurai are paradoxical. I’ve tried to write about them, but they keep to themselves.
日本武士很神秘 我想了解他们 却不得其法
The bastards are still wearing armor.
这些人到现在还穿盔甲
When the lrish were comporting themselves in loincloths…
当爱尔兰人还在穿开档裤…
these chaps were the most sophisticated warriors on Earth.
他们已经是世上最优秀的战士
I need information on their battle tactics.
我要知道他们的战术.
I have several more books just waiting to be translated.
我有好几本书等着要翻译
He’ll be speaking the lingo in no time. You should hear him blather on in Blackfoot.
上尉很有语言天份 你该听他用印地安语念个没完
Really?
真的吗?
A fellow linguist? Oh, capital!
你也是语言专家 太好了
Come on, sir. A word or two in the savage tongue.
来麻 说几句来听听
Just “hello” or “goodbye” or– No, no, no!
你好、再见或是…
“Cut his tongue out and boil him in oil.”
切断他的舌头把他丢下油锅
Early day tomorrow, captain.
明天还要早起
lt’s about bedtime, isn’t it? I always had a fascination with scalping.
你该睡了 我对剥头皮很感兴趣
I never quite understood its technique.
我很想知道是什么感觉
Imagine someone who hates you with the utmost intensity…
想像有一个人痛恨你到极点…
grabbing a handful of your hair while you’re lying prostrate and helpless…
趁你躺在地上时 抓住你的头发…
and scraping a dull blade of a rusty knife around your scalp
拿一把生锈的钝刀在你发缘
with a saw-like motion.
慢慢磨你的头皮
And let your imagination grasp, if you can, the effect of a strong, quick jerk
然后他会一把抓住你的头发
on the turf of your hair to release any clinging particles
用力往上扯
would have on your nervous system.
把头皮连皮带肉扯下来
And you’ll have some idea of how it feels to be scalped
你就会知道头皮被剥掉的感觉
Mr. Graham.
葛兰先生
How soon can you translate those books?
你几时能翻译那些书?
Right away.
马上去
I’m just delighted you’re taking such an interest in Samurai.
我很高兴你对日本武士感兴趣
I don’t give a damn about the Samurai. I want to know my enemy.
我对他们一点兴趣都没有 我只想了解敌人
I shall not sleep until it is done.
我会不眠不休着手翻译
Sake.
日本清酒
I bid you good night.
晚安
Can I get you anything?
你要什么吗?
This is a punitive expedition, captain.
这是报复行动
Col. Bagley, these people had nothing to do with the raids!
上校 这跟他们无关
Good night, sir. Quietly now, boys.
晚安 长官 别出声
Fire!
开枪!
We should be grateful they’re all firing in the same direction.
他们往同一方向开枪就很好了
Couldn’t have put it better myself, sir.
你说的真好
Rifle butt, against the shoulder.
枪托抵住肩膀
Eye, down the sight.
眼睛盯着目标
Now, slowly….
慢慢来
Well done.
很好
Nathan!
纳森
Katsumoto’s attacked a railroad at the border of his province.
胜元在他的家乡破坏铁路
We cannot govern a country in which we cannot travel freely.
他这么乱来 我们无法治理国家
He must be stopped now.
一定要阻止他
My railroad is a priority for this country.
我要优先保护我的铁路
They’re not ready.
他们还没准备好
The rebels don’t have any rifles. They’re savages with bows and arrows.
叛军没有枪炮 他们是拿弓箭的野人
Whose sole occupation for the last thousand years has been war.
他们一千年来都在作战
You have superior firepower and a larger force.
你有更优越的军♥火♥和兵力
I am ordering the regiment to move against Katsumoto.
我命令你率兵攻击胜元叛军
You will track him down and engage him.
找到他 把他击败
Load.
装弹♥药♥
Mr. Graham! Tell this man to fire at me!
葛兰先生 叫他向我开枪
I beg your pardon? Tell this man…
你说什么? 跟他说…
if he does not shoot me, I will kill him!
他不向我开枪 我就毙了他
Captain, if I might have a word. Tell him!
上尉 请听我说 跟他说
Tell him!
快点
Load!
装弹♥药♥
Load!
装弹♥药♥
Faster!
快点
Faster!
快点
Shoot me, damn it.
向我开枪
Fire!
开枪
Fire!
开枪
They’re not ready.
他们还没准备好
The regiment leaves at 6 a.m.!
清晨六点整出发

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!