The Emperor cannot be examined.
皇帝是不能被考的
Well, that may have to change.
那改变一下
But first, Your Majesty might like to ask me some questions.
皇上或许想先问我一些问题
Where are your ancestors buried?
你的祖坟在哪儿?
In Scotland, Your Majesty.
在苏格兰 皇上
But then, where’s your skirt?
那么 你的裙子哪去了?
In your country, men wear short skirts, do they not?
在你们国家 男人穿短裙子 不是吗?
No, Your Majesty, Scotsmen do not wear skirts.
不是 皇上 苏格兰人不♥穿♥裙子
They wear kilts.
他们穿方格呢短裙
Kilts.
方格呢短裙?
Kilts.
方格呢短裙
A matter of words,
措词上的问题
perhaps, but words are important.
也许吧 但是措词非常重要
Why are words important?
为什么措词如此重要?
If you cannot say what you mean, Your Majesty,
如果您不能说出您的本意 皇上
you will never mean what you say.
那您一点都不会心口如一了
And a gentleman should always mean what he says.
一个君子应该总是心口如一
Ah, yes! A gentleman. Are you a gentleman?
对 君子 你是君子吗?
I would like to be a gentleman, Your Majesty.
我很想成为一个君子 皇上
I try to be.
我尽力
I’m not a gentleman.
朕不是君子
I’m not allowed to say what I mean.
朕不被允许说心里话
They are always telling me what to say.
他们总是教朕该说些什么
Your Majesty is still very young.
皇上还很年轻
I thought he might like to see some English and American magazines.
我想他会想看看一些英美杂♥志♥
I have just received them.
我刚收到一些
I know that you know that I know that you know that,
子非鱼 安知鱼知乐 子非我 安知我不知鱼之乐
that is a dialog between Confucius and Chuang Tzu.
这是惠子和庄子之间的对话
Concerning respect, Your Majesty.
是关于尊重 皇上
Who is this “George Washington”?
谁是乔治·华盛顿?
A famous American, Your Majesty.
一个有名的美国人 皇上
A revolutionary General, the first American President.
一位革命的将军 第一任美国总统
Like Mr. Lenin in Russia?
像俄♥国♥的列♥宁♥先生?
Not quite.
不太一样
Does he have a car?
他有汽车吗?
He lived a long time ago, Your Majesty.
他生活在很久以前 皇上
I want a car.
朕想要辆汽车
I think your mouse is trying to escape, Your Majesty.
我认为你的老鼠想逃走 皇上
Please do not tell anyone about my mouse.
请不要告诉别人
The lesson is finished.
该下课了
Our official taster’s a brave man.
我们的尝膳官是个勇敢的人
Many of my ancestors have been poisoned, you know.
你知道朕许多先祖是被毒死的
Does Your Majesty have lunch like this every day?
皇上每天都像这样用膳吗?
Oh, yes! Every day! Like theater!
是啊 每天 就像演戏一样
I do not know why. It has always been like that.
朕也不知为什么 一直就是这样
This is my royal food.
这是朕的御膳
Your Majesty! One hundred year eggs.
皇上 皮蛋
Snake bow.
蛇叩首
Angel’s hair.
细面
Garlic sprout, steamed turtle, goat nipples…
蒜苗 清蒸甲鱼 羊奶♥子♥…
There’s a danger of poisoning pots.
这可有下毒的危险啊
My food comes directly from the high consorts.
朕的膳食是从太妃那边直接送过来
Their tasters had already tried them.
她们的尝膳官已经尝过了
It always arrives a bit cold.
到这里总有点凉
How do they kill Emperors in the West?
在西洋他们是怎样杀皇帝的?
The Austrian Emperor was shot, was he not?
奥地利皇帝是被枪毙的 对吗?
No, but his nephew was assassinated before the Great War.
不 是他的侄子 在大战前被暗♥杀♥
But the Russian Emperor had been shot.
那俄♥国♥皇帝是被枪毙的
He was called the Tsar.
他叫沙皇
Yes.
是的
He took lots of our land in Manchuria.
他侵占了我们满洲大♥片♥土地
I’m a Manchurian.
朕是满族人
Even after the republic, it’s still my country.
就算在民♥国♥ 它仍是朕的家乡
The-uh… secret, Your Majesty, is emerging again.
那个… 秘密 皇上 又出来了
Is something the matter, Your Majesty?
有什么事吗 皇上?
Something is happening.
有事发生
Silence. Tell them to be quiet.
肃静 叫他们安静点
Silence.
肃静
Silence.
肃静
What is happening, Mr. Johnston?
发生了什么事 庄士敦先生?
Uh, nothing is happening. Quiet!
没什么 安静
On my way here, Your Majesty,
我在来的路上 皇上
we were held up by students from the university.
被大学生们给拦住了
They were protesting against the republican government,
他们在抗♥议♥民♥国♥政♥府♥
because it has agreed to give away Chinese territory to Japan.
因为政♥府♥同意将中国的领土割让给日本
Is it true, Mr. Johnston,
这是不是真的 庄士敦先生?
that many people out there have had their heads chopped off?
外面是不是有很多人被砍头了?
It is true, Your Majesty.
是真的 皇上
Many heads have been chopped off.
很多人头落了地
It does stop them thinking.
那确实让他们停止了思考
It is time for the Emperor’s rest.
皇上该歇息了
The students are right to be angry.
学生们有权愤怒
I’m angry!
朕也愤怒
But I’m not allowed to leave the Forbidden City.
可是不许朕离开紫禁城
I want to go out, Mr. Johnston!
朕想出去 庄士敦先生
My lord!
皇上
I want to see the city of sounds!
朕想去听听这城市的声音
The Emperor awards you with the order of the Ruby Hat Button,
皇上赐您二品顶戴
and with the right to be carried in your own chair, with four bearers.
赏坐四人肩與
The last Emperor died on the same night
先皇驾崩的那夜
as the Empress Guwalgiya, the night I was brought to the Forbidden City,
当晚朕就被带进宫里
when I was three.
那年朕三岁
The eunuchs think he was murdered, but who killed him.
太监们认为先皇是被谋害的 但是谁杀了他?
And why? And who will kill me?
为什么?而谁又会来弑朕?
The chair, your excellency.
阁下 您请上轿
The traditional gift to eunuchs.
照例当赏的
Many thanks. Be grateful.
谢大人 千恩万谢
If it is official practice,
如果这是官方的惯例
Official, official.
是的 是的
In which case, I would like an official receipt.
这样的话我想要一张官方收据
Stop!
停
One, two,
一 二
Three, four, five…
三 四 五…
Emperor extends his apologies.
皇上表示他的歉意
Please tell the Emperor that there is no offense.
请告诉皇上我没有被冒犯
Emperor who has been offended.
是皇上被冒犯了
Ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen…
十 十一 十二 十三…
Even the bicycle was viewed with suspicion in the Forbidden City.
在紫禁城里 即使是自行车都令人起疑
My present to the Emperor lead to a lot of trouble.
我送给皇帝的礼物带来了不少的麻烦
Change about!
对换
I hope the Emperor has not forgotten
我希望皇上没有忘记
that this is the day for his math class.
今天该上数学课
For Your Majesty!
给您的 皇上
My doctor says, “Bicycles are bad for you.”
朕的太医说 自行车对我没好处
Bad for you, nonsense!
对你没好处?胡说
How does it work?
怎么骑?
Oh, it’s simple.
啊 很简单
Head up and eyes forward! As in math!
抬起头眼朝前看 就像学数学
My mother is dead, is she not?
我额娘薨了 是吗?
Yes, Your Majesty.
是的 皇上
I’m profoundly sorry!
臣不胜悲痛
I’m not.
朕则不然
She killed herself.
她是自尽的
She swallowed the ball of opium.
她吞下了烟泡
I’m going to see her, and my brother.
朕要去看她 还有我弟弟
Open the door. Open the door.
开门 开门
Open the door.
把门打开
Fallen devil and fallen machine.
可恶的东西 惹祸的机器
Trouble! Nothing but trouble!
惹祸 只会惹祸
Look where you lead him!
看你怎么回事