Would she go to the day centre? She could be looked at there.
还能住一段时间
And she could stay for a few days.
她不会去的
She won’t go to the day centre.
你确定?
Are you sure?
你问过她了吗?
Have you asked her?
她不会去日托中心的,我知道
She will not go to the day centre. I know.
我当然愿意去
Of course I’ll go.
他们不会把我留在那吧?
They won’t make me stay in?
不会的,他们会给你洗个澡换上干净的衣服
No, they’re going to give you a bath and put you in some clean clothes
做些检查
and do some tests.
他们会把我留在那吗?
Will they leave me to it?
哪儿?
浴室 – Where? – In the bath.
我知道怎么洗澡,我还得过洗澡奖
I know how to bath myself. I’ve won awards for that.
我记得
Yes, I remember.
巴尼特先生
什么事? – Mr Bennett. – Yes?
不会搞得像我被带走了,对吗?
It won’t look as if I’m being taken away, will it?
被带去哪?
Taken away where?
精神有问题的人被带去的地方
Where they take people because they’re not right.
现在还这样吗?
Do they do that still?
有时会,不过需要很多签字手续
Well, sometimes, but you need a lot of signatures.
但他们有时会把你骗到那
But they pretend things to get you there sometimes.
越是亲戚越危险,这是他们耍的花招
That’s the danger with next of kin. It’s one of their tricks.
假装那是日托中心
They might be pretending it’s a day centre.
我…
不会的 – Well, I… – No.
我曾经历过那样的事
I’ve been had like that once before.
阿兰
Alan.
谢帕德女士
Miss Shepherd.
我行动有些不方便,所以可能…
Now, I’m a bit behindhand with things, so there may be a bit of a…
把手搭在我肩上
Put your arm around my neck.
来吧
There we go.
我对这种事没什么兴趣
I’ve not gone in for this kind of thing much.
我自己并不讨厌,但还是注意到
I note how, with none of my own distaste,
救护车司机毫不犹豫地与谢帕德女士身体接触
the ambulance driver does not hesitate to touch Miss Shepherd,
甚至在将她放入轮椅时环抱住她
and even puts his arm around her as he lowers her into the chair.
我还注意到,他细心地为她整理布满油污的衣服
I note, too, his careful rearrangement of her greasy clothing,
体贴地把裙摆拉过膝盖
pulling the skirt down over her knees in the interest of modesty.
我会回来的
I’m coming back, you know.
这不是一下就决定的事
This isn’t a toe in the water job.
有什么东西是你想让我们带走清洗的吗?
Is there anything you’d like us to take and have us wash?
我的东西都很干净
Well, why? Most of my things are clean.
你朋友没生病吧?
Not ill, your friend?
没有
不搬走吗? – No. – Not going?
只是去日托中心而已
Only to the day centre, apparently.
孩子们总是问起她
The children always ask after her.
他们小的时候很怕她
They used to be so frightened of her when they were young.
一个现在华盛顿的世界银行工作
One’s in Washington now. The World Bank.
有多少年了?10年?
How long has it been? Ten years?
差不多15年了
一辈子那么长了 – More like 15. – A lifetime.
巴尼特先生
Mr Bennett. Mr Bennett.
那个社工想知道我的亲戚
That social worker wanted to know my next of kin.
我不想声张,所以说我没有亲戚
I don’t want my next of kin broadcast, so I said I didn’t have any.
其实,他们的信息在这个信封里
Only, they’re in this envelope.
你要保密
And you keep it under your hat.
你知道我在战争期间
Do you know I was an ambulance driver myself once?
开过救护车吗?
During the war.
在大封锁的时候我去过肯辛顿
I knew Kensington in the blackout.
真的吗?
Really?
椅子升了上去
The chair goes up on a lift.
在这个过程之中
And in this small ascension,
她慢慢地升起,高过花♥园♥墙
when she slowly rises above the level of the garden wall,
流浪的灵魂散发出高贵的气质
there is a vagabond nobility about her.
看起来像遗世独♥立♥的诺贝尔获奖者
A derelict Nobel Prize winner, she looks,
脏兮兮的脸上一副悠然自得的样子
her grimy face set in a kind of resigned satisfaction.
能再来一次吗?我想再来一下
Could we do that again? I’d like another go.
等你回来的时候吧
When you come back.
就是这儿了
Here we go.
你闻起来香香的
You smell lovely.
你还好吗?
是的 – You okay? – Yes.
很好
Good.
“车检”通过
There. Your M.O.T.
给你
There you go.
嗨,玛格丽特
Hello, Margaret.
14年了?你真是个圣人
Fourteen years? You must be a saint.
我姐姐是个很难相处的人,伊迪斯不想和她住一起
She’s a difficult woman, my sister. Edith won’t have her in the house.
以前我有能力时会帮她
I used to help her out when I could.
我母亲一定也希望如此
It’s what Mother would have wanted.
我不是什么圣人,只是懒罢了
I’m not a saint, just lazy.
我知道她以前开过救护车
是的 – I know she was an ambulance driver. – Yes.
她曾两次做修女,直到她们放弃了她
And she was a nun. Twice over. Till they got rid of her.
这让她精神崩溃
Tipped her over the edge.
她在精神病院待过一段时间
She spent some time in an asylum.
在班斯特德
Banstead.
都是我的错
Which was my fault.
不
No.
是她太难相处
Mind you, she’s a difficult woman.
那么强势
Such a bully.
她欺负过你吗?她欺负我
Did she bully you? She bullies me.
我把她送走了
Well, I had her put away.
关了起来
Incarcerated.
如今叫隔离
Sectioned is what you’d call it today.
她也逃掉了呀
Mind you, she got away from them, too.
逃跑后就一直住在货车了
Gave them the slip, ended up in the van.
她现在还弹钢琴吗?
Does she still play Piano?
不弹了
No.
真可惜
That is sad.
你听说过科托特吗?
Have you heard of Cortot?
阿弗雷德·科托特,钢琴大♥师♥
Alfred Cortot, the virtuoso pianist?
是的
Yes.
玛格丽特是她的学生
Margaret was his pupil.
她曾经去巴黎学习
Yeah, she had to go over to Paris for lessons.
那时候真不容易
It wasn’t easy in those days.
还有练琴,她常常一练就是一整天
And practise. My word, she used to practise all day long.
修女们不让她弹
Well, the nuns put a stop to that.
为了考验她是否顺从
Test of obedience.
我那时在非洲当兽医,回来时她已经不弹了
I was a vet in Africa, and when I came back, the music was out. Finished.
不弹琴了,就开始祷告
Practising had become praying.
她还在逍遥音乐节上表演过呢
Played at the Proms once.
谢帕德女士?
Miss Shepherd?
谢帕德女士?
Miss Shepherd?
我刚刚想去看你
I just tried to visit you.
我不要待在那
I wasn’t stopping there.
有个女人说我面熟,问我是不是去过班斯特德?
A woman said my face rang a bell. Was I ever in Banstead?
她一直说
And she would not stop.
吃肉末的时候,她说
They gave me some mince and she said,
“这里的肉末比班斯特德的好吃多了“
“You’ll find the mince here a step up from the mince in Banstead.”
我怎么知道
I don’t know about the…
班斯特德的肉末或者其他任何地方的肉末
The mince in Banstead, or anywhere else, for that matter.
那是精神不正常的人去的地方
That’s just where they put people when they’re not right.
你看起来干净又体面
Well, you look nice and clean.
那是因为我洗澡了
Yeah, well, that’ll be the bath.
他们让我自己洗的
They let me do it myself.
护士最后过来帮我擦一下
The nurse came and gave me some finishing touches.
她说我看起来精神多了
She said I’d come up a treat.
我给你买♥♥了花
I bought you these.
花?
Flowers?
我要花做什么?
What do I want with flowers?
花只会枯萎
They… They only die.
我东西太多了,放不下花
I’ve got enough on my plate without flowers.
怎么,你又不常收到花
Why, you won’t often have been given flowers.
谁说的?
Who says?
我收到过比这大得多的花