Have you got an old pan scrub? I’m thinking of painting the van.
就是那种像拖把的,洗盘子的那种
You know, one of those little mop things they use to wash dishes with would do.
刷子怎么样?
我有刷子 – Well, how about a brush? – I’ve got a brush.
锅刷是上第一层漆用的
It’s just for the first coat.
好吧,她以前是修女
Okay, she’s been a nun.
只是现在看来
Only now it turns out
她不仅是音乐家,还能说一口流利的法语
she’s been a musician besides and seemingly with fluent French.
但她绝不是粉刷好手
She’s certainly no painter,
因为今天尽管有雨
because today, rain notwithstanding,
她还是围着车慢慢移♥动♥,用颜色喜人的碎含羞草
she moves slowly around her mobile home, thoughtfully touching up the rust patches
认真地粉刷锈斑
with crushed mimosa, always a favourite shade.
早上好
Morning.
她用错了漆料,车有专用漆
She’s using the wrong paint. Cars have special paint.
你错了,这是天主教油漆
Not this one. It’s Catholic paint.
她闻起来很臭
那是因为她穷 – And she smells. – That’s because she’s poor.
咱们要是穷的话,也会很臭,早上好,乌苏拉
You’d smell if we were poor. Morning, Ursula.
你好,亲爱的
你好,亲爱的 – Hello, love. – Hello, darling.
还想教我怎么刷漆
Telling me about paint.
我上幼稚园的时候就得过粉刷奖
I was in infant school. I won a prize for painting!
但是涂料都结块了,你要搅拌一下
我搅了 – But it’s all lumps. You have to mix it. – I have.
只是掉进去了些蛋糕屑
I have mixed it. Only I got some Madeira cake in it.
无论有没有蛋糕屑
Cake or no cake,
谢帕德女士的车最终看起来像是抹了一层
all Miss Shepherd’s vehicles ended up looking as if they’d been given a coat
不忍♥直视的奶油冻或者鸡蛋糊
of badly made custard, or plastered with scrambled eggs.
妙极了
Divine!
她粉刷小货车时
Still, there were few occasions on which one saw her genuinely happy,
也是她为数不多的真正快乐的时候
and one of these was when she was putting paint on.
杰克逊·波洛克本人也做不了这么好
Jackson Pollock himself could not have done it better.
就算用了锅刷
Even with a pan scrub.
干什么啊?滚开!
What’re you doing? Get off my van!
黄色标线
什么? – Yellow lines. – Sorry?
禁止停车
Parking restrictions.
真是的
她违章停车 – What a bore. – She’ll be illegally parked.
她得挪开
She’ll have to move.
快看
Look. Look.
这是搬迁令
我知道是搬迁令 – It’s a removal order. – I know it’s a removal order.
你得把车挪走
Well, it means you’ll have to drive on somewhere else.
但是我有残疾
But I’m disabled!
我不用拐杖是为了瞒过其他人
I don’t always use a walking stick. That pulls the wool over people’s eyes.
但我是卡姆登镇的一员
But I am a bona fide resident of Camden!
我小时候还得过风湿病和腮腺炎
And I had rheumatic fever as a child, and mumps.
我还是认为你需要搬到别的地方去
I still think you’ll have to move on. Go somewhere else.
我不走,我的车没油了
It won’t move. There’s not enough juice.
我给你加点
我不喜欢他们的汽油 – Well, I’ll get you some up the road. – I don’t like their petrol!
我不知道,本来没问题的,只要想想办法
I don’t know. It could be, it could go. It just might need a bit of coaxing.
我是
What I’m…
我是担心轮胎
What I’m worried about particularly are the wheels.
他们有神力保护
They’re under divine protection.
如果我得到了另外一辆车,我也会把轮胎换掉
If I do get this other vehicle, I’d like the wheels transferred.
什么另一辆车?
我的轮胎是神奇轮胎 – What other vehicle? – They may be miraculous, the tyres.
196♥4♥年以来,只充过一次气
They’ve only had to be pumped up once since 196♥4♥.
哪辆车?
只花了我五英镑 – What other vehicle? – They only cost me a fiver.
谢帕德女士,你说有另外一辆车?
Miss Shepherd, you said about another vehicle?
是,一辆厢式货车
Yeah, a van.
另一辆货车?
Another van?
车型很新
Well, a newer model.
一位名誉天主教夫人说她会捐一辆车给我
A titled Catholic lady says she may get me one, as an act of charity.
是威金夫人
It’s Lady Wiggin.
只是她不愿透露姓名
Only she’d prefer to remain anonymous.
我猜也是,那你为什么不把车停在她家外面?
I’ll bet she would. So, why don’t you park it outside her house?
不可能
– It’s out of the question.
这里空间很大啊
– There’s plenty of room.
我有邻居
– I have neighbours!
我也有啊
– So have I.
看来我不应该送车给她了?
So, should I not buy her another van?
去你的吧
你说什么? – Please your fucking self. – What?
巴尼特先生,我想到办法了
Mr Bennett, I’ve worked it out.
巴尼特先生
Mr Bennett.
最好的办法是不停在街上
The ideal solution would be off-street parking.
比如私人车道
You know, a driveway, possibly.
那你要去哪?
So, what are you going to do?
见机行事
Play it by ear.
女士
Lady?
你在吗?
Are you there?
现在方便吗?
Is this a bad moment?
你是不是有东西给我?
Have you got something for me?
臭婊♥子♥!
You bad bitch!
肮脏无♥耻♥的婊♥子♥!
You dirty, lying bitch!
需要帮忙吗?
Can I help you?
晚上好,先生
Good evening to you, sir!
我来附近转转
I’m finding myself in the vicinity.
顺便跟玛格丽特打声招呼
I’m taking the opportunity to pay my compliments to Margaret.
玛格丽特?
以前的老朋友 – Margaret? – An old friend from way back.
你是说谢帕德女士吗?
You mean Miss Shepherd?
谢帕德是吗?很好
Shepherd, is it? Very good.
她可能睡了
当然 – Well, she’ll be asleep. – Of course.
祝您晚安,先生,行程方便的话我再来拜访
I’ll bid you a good night, sir. I’ll call again when my schedule permits.
谢谢
Thank you.
你在里面吗?快起来!
Are you in there? Rise and shine!
滚出来,老巫婆!
你个臭婊♥子♥! – Get out, you old witch! – What a smelly bitch!
快点啊!快点!
Come on, darling! Come on!
不好意思,各位
Excuse me. Excuse me, lads.
你♥他♥妈♥是谁?
别管我是谁,我记住了你们的车牌号♥ – Who the fuck are you? – Never mind who I am. I’ve got your number!
快走开!我住在这里,我记住了你们的车牌号♥
Just clear off! I live here, and I’ve got your number!
这位女士也住在这里,滚开!
An old lady lives in there. Just shove off!
谢帕德女士?
Miss Shepherd?
谢帕德女士?
Miss Shepherd?
谢帕德女士,你还好吗?
Miss Shepherd, are you all right?
我还好,我还好
Yes, yes. I think so.
怎么回事?不是警♥察♥吧?
What was it about? It wasn’t the police, was it?
没有,是几个小混混,你选择这样生活,就要承担后果
No. They were louts, but if you choose to live like this, it’s what you must expect.
我没有选择,我是被迫的
I didn’t choose. I was chosen.
这就解决了
Well, that settles it.
是吗?
You think?
我不能总是照顾她,我又不是她的管家
I can’t always be looking out for her. I’m not her keeper.
我是说,工作怎么办?
I mean, what happens to work?
我觉得她要么走,要么…
什么? – I think she should either go or… – Or what?
要么把车开进来,这样我们就省心了
Or bring the van into the drive, where we can forget about her.
这就是为什么有些男人要结婚
Actually, that’s why some men marry.
这样他们就不用为妻子操心了
So they don’t have to think any more about their wives.
不错
只可惜非常普鲁斯特 – That’s not bad. – Yes, except it’s Proust.
是的
Yes.
她只停留几个月,直到想好去哪儿
And it’ll only be for a few months, until she decides where she’s going.
这样做只是更省心,无关善良
It’ll be easier, but it’s not kindness.
是啊
No.
“善良或其他类似品德”
“Good nature, or what is often considered as such,
“是所有美德中最自私的”
“is the most selfish of all virtues.
“十之八♥九♥是出于性格中的安逸”
“It is nine times out of 10 mere indolence of disposition.”
这不是你写的
That’s not you.
是黑兹列特,这是意志,纯粹的意志
Hazlitt. And it’s will. Pure will.
她一直都知道自己要什么
She’s known what she’s wanted all along.
罗马大赦年,不安的灵魂认罪自首
The soul in question did confess though in guarded terms
尽管用词小心翼翼
in Rome in Holy Year,
也不确定神父是否听得懂英语
though I’m not sure the priest understood English.
我看起来像逞一时之快吗?
Do I look like a joy rider?
孩子
My child,
对于这项罪过,你已得到宽恕
you have already been given absolution for this particular sin.
我本人就已宽恕过你很多次
I have given you it myself on several occasions.
要有信心,宽恕不像公交车票
Have faith. Absolution is not like a bus pass.
它用之不尽
It does not run out.
天呐