on the grounds that the jury is being prejudiced.
这只是班尼斯特的一种策略
These are some of the great Bannister’s trial tactics,
为了博得同情
in appeal for sympathy.
检察官先生开始恶言相向了
The district attorney is beginning to get vicious.
你们两位先生吵完之后
When you two gentlemen get over your argument,
请告诉我谁赢了
tell me who won.
然后我来裁决反对是否有效
Then I’ll decide on the objection.
反对有效
Objection sustained.
到你了 班尼斯特先生
Your witness, Mr. Bannister.
我没问题 除了 是的…
No questions, except, yes…
彼得斯警官…
Officer Peters,
我不想久留你
I don’t wish to keep you
让你不能跟妻子孩子见面
from your wife and children…
地区检察官
any more than the district attorney,
很关心这一点
who was so concerned about them a moment ago.
但我想问你个问题
but I would like to ask you one question:
彼得斯警官 你有妻子和孩子吗?
Officer Peters, have you a wife and children?
嗯…
Well…
没有
no.
谢谢 你可以下去了
Thank you. You may step down.
传你的下一个证人
Call your next witness.
我想传…
I call…
亚瑟·班尼斯特
Arthur Bannister
法官先生 让被告律师站在证人席上
It’s certainly unusual, Your Honour, to put a defence attorney…
是违反常理的…
on the witness stand.
但我相信我的委托人不会反对
But I’m confident that my client will make no objection.
他怎么可能让班尼斯特来
Galloway can’t make Banniste
被告有罪 不是吗 ?
testify against his own client, right?
发生什么事了?
Hey, what happened?
他是在浪费时间
This trial keeps getting screwier all the time!
如果有更好的
Your Honour, I wouldn’t take this step…
获得证据的方法…
if there were more effective
我是不会这样做的
means of establishing the evidence I’ll bring forward.
经由我委托人同意
With my client’s express permission…
班尼斯特先生请站到证人席上
Mr. Bannister will take the stand.
从没见过这样的事情
I’ve never seen anything like that before.
– 我认为这正是他的聪明之处 – 没人比他更聪明
– I thought he was smart. – They don’t come smarter.
– 也许他是坏人呢? – 也许他是错的?
– Maybe he’s the bad guy? – Maybe he’s wrong?
– 也许是他杀了他? – 你别开玩笑了
– Maybe he killed him? – You aingt kidding!
你发誓你所讲的…都是事实绝无虚言…
Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth… the whole truth
以上帝的名义?
so help you God?
我发誓
I do.
你的名字
State your name.
亚瑟·班尼斯特
Arthur Bannister
班尼斯特先生…你是酒吧的会员吗?
Mr. Bannister, you are a member of the Bar.
是的
I am.
安静
Quiet!
成为…
And have been…
安静
Quiet!
成为会员已经一年了?
And have been for a number of years.
是的
That is correct.
被告人 麦克·欧哈瑞
The defendant, Michael O’Hara,
是你的游艇上的一名水手?
worked as a crew member on your yacht.
是的
Yes.
他工作得顺心吗?
Did he seem happy in his job?
请再说一遍?
I beg your pardon?
你转身了…
You had your back turned…
– 他工作顺心吗? – 顺心
– Did he seem happy in his job? – Reasonably so.
– 这是你的回答吗? – 当然顺心
– Did you get that answer? – I did. Reasonably so.
事实上 他不是曾经威胁 说要退出?
As a matter of fact, wasn’t he threatening to quit?
是的
Yes.
你知道吗 班尼斯特先生 那恰恰是在谋杀…
Did you know, Mr. Bannister, that right after the murders…
恰恰是在谋杀之后
Right after the murders,
我们发现 被告的一个塞满了行李的包
we found the defendant’s bags packed…
一切都准备就绪
and everything put away in readiness
– 就等着走了? – 是的
– for an immediate departure? – Yes.
很好
Well!
以你作为一个律师的经验来判断
In your experience as an attorney,
这难道不能说明…一切都是有预谋的?
would this not indicate premeditation?
这位检察官又在假设了…
The district attorney is making speeches…
计划周详并且想远走高飞
Premeditation and plan for flight?
不但假设而且妄下结论
Making speeches, drawing conclusions!
– 我没有妄下结论 – 你有
– I’m not drawing conclusions! – You are drawing conclusions!!
先生们
Gentlemen!
– 他的问题不恰当 会影响陪审团 – 法官先生 我…
– He is asking improper questions… – Your Honour, I think…
我要求法官先生宣布无效
I ask Your Honour to declare a mistrial.
驳回
Overruled.
异议
Exception.
没问题了
No further questions.
法官先生能不能向陪审团说明一下…
Would Your Honour kindly explain to the jury that…
因为我是被检察官
since the district attorney has
要求站到证人席上来的…
placed me in the position of a witness…
同时我又是被告的辩护律师
I am permitted, as the defence attorney,
所以我要向自己取证?
to cross-examine myself?
这又是善辩的班尼斯特先生的辩护策略
These are more of the persuasive Mr. Bannister’s trial tactics.
照他的意思办
The jury is so instructed.
问题 班尼斯特先生 被告说过为什么他
Question: Mr. Bannister, did the defendant say anything…
要做这个工作吗?
as to why he had taken the job?
回答 是的 班尼斯特先生
Answer: Yes, Mr. Bannister.
班尼斯特先生 您还记得吗 班尼斯特先生
He reminded Mr. Bannister that Mr. Bannister…
曾经去水手雇佣大厅…
had to go to the seaman’s hiring hall
凭着他的三寸不烂之舌
and use his persuasive powers…
说服被告…接受这个工作
to convince the defendant to take the job.
问题
Question:
班尼斯特先生 关于这次质询您
Can you think of anything else, Mr. Bannister…
还有别的要说的吗?
that is relevant to this inquiry?
我发现这个小伙子很好相处 勇敢 聪明
I found this boy to be clean cut, courageous, resourceful…
诚实…工作也努力
honest, hardworking.
问题 班尼斯特先生
Question: Now, Mr. Bannister,
请回答 是或不是
please answer the question, yes or no.
对于这次辩护您还有别的要说吗?
Can you think of anything else that is relevant to this issue?
回答
Answer:
没有
No!
很好 谢谢 班尼斯特先生 您可以下去了
Very well. Thank you, Mr. Bannister. You may step down.
法官先生…我想传一个证人
Your Honour, I have a subpoena
她就在这里
for a witness who is present in the courtroom.
可以请法警帮下忙吗?
May I have the bailiff serve it at this time?
法警呢?你可以传了
Bailiff, you will serve the subpoena.
我想传 亚瑟·班尼斯特夫人
I call Mrs. Arthur Bannister.
没有法律规定她必须上去 不是吗?
She doesn’t have to, does she?
我不知道
I don’t know.
别傻了 她必须上去
Don’t be silly. Sure, she’s got to take it.
谁在说话?
Well, who says there is?
坐下 管好你自己
Sit down and mind your own business.
举起你的右手
Raise your right hand.
你发誓你所讲的都是事实…绝无虚言?
Do you solemnly swear to tell the whole truth, so help you God?
我发誓
I do.
– 你的名字 – 亚瑟·班尼斯特夫人
– State your name. – Mrs. Arthur Bannister.
班尼斯特夫人…你曾经请过保镖
Mrs. Bannister, did you ever have guards…
守护你的房♥子…
to police your house,
或者你游玩用的游艇吗?
or the yacht on which you just made a cruise?
没有
No.
为什么?
Why?
我们觉得没必要
We never felt the need of it.
你没有孩子 是吗?
You have no children, have you?
– 我没有孩子 – 你没有孩子
– I have no children. – You have no children.
因此您从来不担心被绑♥架♥ 是吗?
So you weren’t concerned about kidnappers, is that correct?
是的
That is correct.
在您家里和您丈夫的船上
There was a man employed in your house…
雇了一个男人 名叫西德尼·布鲁姆?
and on your husband’s yacht named Sidney Broome?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!