It means put on your best clothes,
让他们看看你手下 最聪明的男人和最漂亮的女人
show them your most intelligent men and most beautiful women.
让英国人看到我的女人们光脚合适吗
Shall it be proper for the British to see my women without shoes?
我的女人们把她们最好脚伸出去合适吗
Shall it be proper for my women to put their best bare feet fonuard?
不 我们会把她们打扮成欧洲淑女…
No, we shall make them look like ladies of Europe:
穿上鞋子和裙子
Shoes on feet, dresses on bodies.
你找出最像欧洲人的女人…
You will tell me which ladies are most like Europeans
再教她们欧洲风俗和社交礼仪
and educate them in European customs and manner for presentation.
-还要做衣服 -做衣服
-Also, sew dresses. -Sew dresses?
所有的女人都要帮忙
All women shall help.
你不觉得如果她们按自己的风俗…
Don’t you think it would make a better impression
穿自己的衣服会更打动人吗
in their own manner and dress?
你这就不科学了 大使知道我们是暹罗人
You are not being scientific. The ambassador knows we are Siamese.
我希望他知道我们也是欧洲人
I wish him to know we are also Europeans.
醒醒 大家都到大殿去
Wake up! Everybody to the temple!
快起床 女人们 诸如此类…
Wake up, wake up, wives, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
我们还要提供杂技表演
We will entertain them with acrobats.
我们会上演一台戏剧
We could give them a theatrical performance.
土普提写了个剧本 根据《汤姆叔叔的小屋》改编的
Tuptim has written a play, her own version of Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
我们上演戏剧 让他们看看谁是野蛮人
We shall give them theatricals. We’ll show them who is barbarian.
晚餐吃西餐
We could make European dishes for dinner.
你教他们 晚餐在宴会桌上进行
You teach. To be served on high table.
铺上长白色桌布…
Long white tablecloth…
-还有餐巾 -用最好的丝绸来做
-And napkins. -Of finest silk.
-用最好的金筷子 -筷子
-Using best gold chopsticks. -Chopsticks?
你不觉得刀叉更适合吗
Don’t you think knives and forks would be more suitable?
英国人不用筷子真是不科学
British not scientific enough for the use of chopsticks.
我们用上乘的金刀叉
You are to order finest gold knives and forks.
还有勺子 你怎么没想到勺子啊
Also spoons. Why do you not think of spoons?
是个不错的主意 陛下
An inspired idea, Your Majesty.
别忘了雪茄 英国人很喜欢
We mustn’t forget cigars. Englishmen are fond of them.
你列一个清单 写出所有住在曼谷的欧洲名人…
You are to make list of all eminent Europeans residing in Bangkok
-把请柬寄给他们 -太棒了
-for sending of invitations. -Very well.
你要指导皇家乐师 让他们学习…
You will instruct court musicians their learning music of Europe
欧洲舞曲 诸如此类
for dancing, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
太棒了 陛下
Excellent, Your Majesty.
我有多少准备时间
How much time do I have for all this?
上次报告说英国舰队离开辛卡拉了 你有一周时间
British gunboat last reported off Singkla. This give you one week.
一周 陛下 就一周
One week? Your Majesty, one week!
这跟创世的时间…
In this same time,
是一样的 摩西说的
whole world was created, Moses say.
首先 我们向佛祖寻求帮助
First, we ask help from Buddha.
向佛祖叩拜
Bow to him. Bow, bow, bow.
叩拜
Bow!
佛祖 请赐予我们力量与智慧
Oh, Buddha, give us the aid of your strength and your wisdom.
佛祖 请赐予我们力量…
Oh, Buddha give us the aid of your strength
与智慧
and your wisdom.
帮助我们向英国客人证明…
And help us to prove to the visiting English
我们是非凡而又出色的人
that we are extraordinary and remarkable people.
帮助我们向英国客人证明…
And help us to prove to the visiting English
我们是非凡而又出色的人
that we are extraordinary and remarkable people.
也帮助安娜夫人科学地缝制出衣服…
Help also Mrs. Anna to keep awake for scientific sewing of dresses
即使她是个不值得你保佑的…
even though she be only a woman and a Christian,
信基♥督♥教的女人
and therefore unworthy of your interest.
也帮助安娜夫人…
Help also Mrs. Anna…
-陛下 这真是… -别忘了你允诺过的事
-Your Majesty, this is really… -A promise is a promise.
你的头不能比我的高
Head must not be higher than mine.
你允诺过的
A promise!
虽然不值得你保佑
and therefore unworthy of your interest.
佛祖…
And, Buddha,
我向你发誓…
I promise you
我会给这个不值得保佑的女人…
that I shall give this unworthy woman
一栋房♥子
a house.
我们会给她建一栋房♥子
We will build her a house of her own:
根据合约…
A brick residence
在皇宫旁边…
adjoining royal palace
给她建一栋砖瓦房♥…
according to agreement,
诸如此类…
et cetera,
诸如此类…
et cetera,
诸如此类
et cetera.
国王陛下…
-Your Majesty… -Oh!
给这个不值得保佑的女人…
this unworthy woman
一栋房♥子
a house.
根据合约…
We will build her a house of her own.
我们会在皇宫旁边…
A brick residence adjoining royal palace…
给她建一栋房♥子…
according to agreement…
诸如此类…
et cetera…
诸如此类…
et cetera…
诸如此类
et cetera.
餐巾终于到了 你能把它们摆放好吗
The napkins finally arrived. Would you place them on the table please?
-谢谢 -不 谢谢你了
-Thank you. -No, thank you.
都准备好了吗 客人要来了
Are we ready? The guests are arriving.
拜托了 别让英国人来
Please, do not let Englishmen come here.
我们很害怕
We are afraid.
他们邪恶的眼睛会迷惑我们的
They cast terrible spell on us with evil eye.
都是胡说八道
Oh, nonsense. Nonsense!
你们站过去 我来看看你们的样子
Step back. Let me see how you look.
站开一点
Stand apart.
不错 现在转过身
Very nice. Now, turn round.
我的天啦
Oh, my goodness gracious!
你有什么问题吗
What is trouble now?
我忘记了 她们都不♥穿♥内衣的
Oh, I forgot! They have practically no undergarments.
内衣 这种时候内衣有什么重要的
Undergarments! Of what importance are undergarments at this time?
非常重要
Of great importance.
你穿了内衣吗
Are you wearing undergarments?
所有打扮适宜的英国女士都穿内衣
All properly dressed English ladies always wear undergarments.
我对此有个意见 在这方面英国是个落后的国家
I have opinion that, in this regard, England is very backward nation.
你今晚就穿这个
Is this what you shall be wearing?
是啊 你喜欢吗
Why, yes. Do you like it?
你确定这些 诸如此类 都合乎礼节
Are you certain this is customary, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera?
露出肩膀有什么大不了的
What is so extraordinary about bare shoulders?
-你的妻子们也… -是的
-Your own ladies… -Yes.
这跟身体其他地方…
But is different because of not wearing
没有遮盖物不一样 所以…
covering-ups on other parts of body, and therefore…
所以什么
Therefore what?
所以不同
Is different.
我很遗憾你不同意
I’m sorry you do not approve.
我没有说我不同意
I have not said I do not approve.
大使和他的随行人员该到了
The ambassador and his party must be arriving.
安娜夫人 他们都是食人族
Mrs. Anna, Mrs. Anna. They are cannibals.
他们会吃了我们的
They will eat us!
他们不会的
They will do nothing of the kind.
记住 当我把你们介绍给大使时…
Remember, when you are presented to the ambassador,
看在上帝的份上 把背朝着墙
for heaven’s sake, keep your backs to the wall.
好了
So!
陛下 这位是约翰 海伊爵士大人…
Your Majesty, this shall be His Excellency, Sir John Hay,
他是英国最尊贵的代表
most honorable representative of United Kingdom in Great Britain.
国王陛下
Your Majesty.
我很荣幸
I am pleased.
请用雪茄
Cigar.
谢谢你 陛下
Thank you, Your Majesty.
这是我的助手 爱德华·拉姆齐爵士
May I introduce my aide, Sir Edward Ramsay.
国王陛下
Your Majesty.
我很荣幸 请用雪茄
I am pleased. Cigar.
谢谢
Thank you.
这是雷诺文斯女士…
And this is Madame Leonowens,
是皇室的英语 礼仪 诸如此类的教师
teacher of English language, customs, et cetera, in royal household.
我们听说过你的优秀工作
We’ve heard of your splendid work here.
谢谢你 大人
Thank you, Your Excellency.
爱德华 见到你真高兴
Edward, it’s so good to see you.
你还好吗 安娜