正要离开工厂的汽车挡住
“that was just leaving the factory.
当门打开之后劫匪们立刻冲到大街上
“With the gates open to permit the truck to exit into the street,
冲到开阔地…
“the holdup men dashed into the clear…
钻进三辆事先安排好的汽车逃离
“and made their way to 3 cars that had been planted earlier for the escape.
看门人亨利·威尔森
“The gatekeeper, Henry Wilson, of411 Spring Street,
跑上大街 开枪警告…
“ran into the street, firing a warning shot…
并大声喝止他们
“and shouting for them to stop.
当他们无视其警告时 威尔森朝一辆车开枪
“When they ignored his command, Wilson fired first at one car,
之后又朝另一辆未能逃走的车开枪
“and then at another that was having trouble in the getaway.
该车朝威尔森回击并迅速越过
“This latter car returned the fire as it sped past Wilson,
看门人跌倒在地 腹部中枪
“and the gatekeeper fell to the ground with a bullet in his groin.
现在在哈肯萨克医院
“He is now in the Hackensack hospital,
医生说或许可以康复
“where doctors say he will probably recover.
四名劫匪在抢劫过程中全部蒙面
“The four bandits all had their faces covered during the actual robbery,
因而无法具体描述
“so no detailed description is available.
不过其中一名 出纳说其蒙着面的…
“One of them, however, is described by the paymaster as wearing…
是一块绣着金色竖琴的绿手帕
“an unusual green handkerchief decorated with golden harps over his face.
警方仍然在调查当中
State and local police are investigating.”
一块绿手帕
“Unusual green handkerchief.”
圣帕崔克日的时候 有成千上万这种手帕卖♥♥
They sell those by the thousand every St. Patrick’s Day.
但这块是那个劫匪用过的
But this is the one that was used in that holdup.
你怎么知道? – 你听我说
How do you know that? – Follow me.
有一个叫瑞典人的小伙子
Take an ex-pug named the Swede,
爱上一个叫凯蒂·柯林斯的姑娘
falls for a girl named Kitty Collins.
他替她坐了三年牢
He takes a three-year rap for her.
出狱以后 他通过一个老贼查尔斯顿…
When he gets out, he’s brought into a robbery setup…
参与到一起抢劫行动中
through an old-time thief named Charleston.
那天晚上还有一个姑娘
There’s a girl present the night of the big powwow.
查尔斯顿不知道名字
Charleston wouldn’t name names,
但是我猜就是那个凯蒂·柯林斯
but my guess is that same Kitty Collins.
继续
Go on.
普伦蒂茨帽子公♥司♥是 1940年7月20日遭到抢劫
The Prentiss Hat robbery was July 20, 1940.
那天晚上 瑞典人和一身份不明女子…
That same night, the Swede and an unidentified woman…
住进过大西洋城一家小酒店
check into a small hotel in Atlantic City.
两天后那女人匆忙离去
Two days later the woman takes a powder,
瑞典人试图跳窗
and the Swede tries to pile out a window.
一位女服务员救了他
A chambermaid saves his life,
他处于感激把自己的保险留给了她
and he’s grateful enough to leave her his insurance.
就这些? – 还没
Is that all? – Just about.
六年以后 我们在布伦特伍德找到瑞典人
Until six years later, we find the Swede in Brentwood.
大家都已经知道 在加油站工作
As far as anyone knows, a filling-station attendant.
只是…
Except…
他在等两名杀手找他
he’s waiting for some killers to come and get him.
还好他留下这个 是吧?
Huh. Nice of him to hang on to this, wasn’t it?
不然的话 整个事情
Without it, I’d have gone on about my business,
就这么过去了
and the whole thing would have blown over.
算了 – 什么?
Forget it. – What?
不值得你耽误时间
It’s not worth your time.
可我们为普伦蒂茨帽子公♥司♥投保了
But we insured Prentiss Hat.
大西洋保险公♥司♥25万
There’s a quarter of a million dollars of Atlantic Casualty money
从未找到
that’s never been recovered.
里尔登 你知道保险公♥司♥
Riordan, you know the insurance business.
一年的损失
The losses in any one year,
决定着接下来的保险费
determine the premium to be paid the following.
我们1940年为普伦蒂茨帽子公♥司♥付出了赔偿金
We pay out in 1940, as we did with Prentiss Hat.
1941年的费率就调整了 现在是1946年
That’s adjusted in our rates for 1941. This is 1946.
我们的工作是使我们的损失最小化…
Our job is to keep our losses at a minimum…
这样1947年费率不会攀升
so that the rates don’t have to go up in 1947.
我们就是这样服务公众的
That’s how we serve the public.
你对找到那笔钱不感兴趣?
And you’re not interested in recovering this money?
当然感兴趣
Oh, sure I am,
如果你知道在哪 关键你不知道
if you knew just where to lay your hands on it, but you don’t.
你只是觉得有一个人可能参与过抢劫
You have a hunch about one man who may have been in the holdup.
可他死了 除此之外 你什么也不知道
He’s dead. Aside from that, you know nothing.
两天前的确如此
I didn’t know that two days ago.
我是凯尼恩
Kenyon speaking.
找你的
For you.
我是里尔登 你好 鲁宾斯基
Riordan. Hello, Lubinsky. How are you?
什么? 你说的那个魔鬼 先等一下
What? The devil you say. Hold the wire a minute.
我继续追查此案 还是离开大西洋保险公♥司♥?
Am I still on this case or have I quit Atlantic Casualty?
这个… – 哪一个?
Well, I… – Which is it?
好吧 我给你一个星期
All right. I’ll give you a week.
如果你找不到那笔钱 时间从你假期里扣
But if you don’t turn up the dough, the time comes off your vacation.
好吧 鲁宾斯基 一个小时后见
Okay, Lubinsky, I’ll be with you in an hour.
两名水手发现他躺在洗手间的血 泊之中
Two sailors found him lying in a depot washroom in a pool of blood.
枪击应该在一两分钟之前发生的
The shootin’ couldn’t have happened more than a minute or two earlier.
他是谁? – 有没有听说过布林奇·富兰克林
Who is he? – Ever hear of Blinky Franklin? That’s who he is.
一直在说瑞典人 当当·克拉克…
Keeps ravin’ on and on about the Swede, Dum-dum Clark…
还有我们的老朋友凯蒂·柯林斯
and our old friend Kitty Collins.
不过没什么用
No use my telling you, though.
马嘴里都能得到
You can get it straight from the horse’s mouth.
他活下来的机会有多大? – 没有
What are his chances? – Nil.
他还有多长时间?
How long has he got?
现在活着都是赚的了
He’s behind schedule now. That’s why I told you to hurry.
你好 医生
Hello, Doctor.
如果那人10 : 30不打电♥话♥ 我们最好开始
If that guy don’t call by 10:30, we better get started anyway.
每个人都想要自己那份
Each one steal his own heap.
还在下雨 肯定会
Still raining. It would be.
10点了 我留下来
Bet ten. I’ll stay.
我从没去过帽子工厂
I never was in a hat factory before.
你也没去过这个
You ain’t in this one yet.
普伦蒂茨帽子公♥司♥被劫前夜
He’s talking about the night before the Prentiss Hat robbery.
给我两张牌 我要三张
Give me two cards. I’ll take three.
如果雨继续这样下 路上肯定又是泥泞
If this rain keeps up, it’ll be mud up to the axles on them hick roads.
去小客栈的泥路有多长?
How many miles of dirt road is it to the Halfway House?
我不喜欢在下雨天干活
I don’t like anything about capers in the rain.
雨总是让人毛骨惊然
Rain always gives me the creeps.
我讨厌下雨
I hate rain. I hate rain.
赏一个给交易员
One for the dealer.
距离小客栈11英里 布林奇
Eleven miles to the Halfway House, Blinky,
你和当当的路线
your’s and Dum-dum’s route.
我一点也赢不了 – 我也是
I can’t win a pot. – Me either.
怎么样 各位?
How about it, boys?
所有行动策略都谨记于心了吗?
Got all the moves straight in your minds now?
我们应该的 我们经常在想
We ought to. We’ve been over it often enough.
那人怎么还不打电♥话♥? – 别着急 当当
Why don’t that guy call? – Relax, Dum-dum.
等车的消息让我想起…
Waitin’ on word about cars reminds me that…
在洛杉矶一家剧院我熟悉的几个人
a couple of birds I used to know once stuck up a theater in L.A.
一切进展顺利… 直到他们分赃时
Everything goes swell… until they go to get in their heap.
你知道吗? 有人偷走了
You know what? Somebody stolen it.
一名交♥警♥打死了一人…
A traffic cop shoots one of the birds dead…
就在剧院后面的小巷里
up an alley in back of the theater.
其他人都带着钱投降了
The other bird surrenders with all the money.
讲故事吧 你还知道吗?
Some story. Know any more like it?
知道 我还认识一个人
Yeah. There’s another bird I used to know,
别说了 我们不想听你的故事
Well, don’t tell it! We don’t want to listen to your stories, see?
快点 切牌
Go ahead, deal the cards.
我睡着了
I fell asleep.
让我先切牌吧
Let me cut before you deal, will ya?
你怎么回事?
What’s the matter with you?
什么怎么回事?
What do you mean, what’s the matter?
你紧张了 出了一身汗啊
You’re nervous. You’re all in a sweat.
你不想挨耳光就把嘴闭上
You keep your mouth shut if you don’t want it slapped shut.
最近总是找抽 – 嘿
You been askin’ for it lately. – Hey!
有什么异议吗? – 有
Any objections? – Yeah!
这事你别管 瑞典人 那是他的女人
Keep out of this, Swede. She’s his girl.
管好你自己的事 瑞典人 我能照顾我自己
Mind your own business, Swede. I can take care of myself.
你敢碰我让你活不到明天早上
You touch me and you won’t live till morning.
快点 瑞典人 玩两把
Come on, Swede, play a few hands.
挪过去
Move over.