I don’t know why I’m saying this.
你走向我的时候 我知道你是谁
I knew who you were when you came up to me.
我观察你好几周了 和其他女孩一样
I-I’ve watched you for weeks, like all the girls watch you…
你走到我面前的时候我又惊又喜
and I was excited and flattered when you came on to me.
所以我给你烤了这个派 我们共进了晚餐
So I baked you this pie and, and we had dinner.
只是我不了解你
Only I don’t know who you are.
我知道你的家族也知道他们从事的行业
I know who your family is and what they do…
突然间我开始
and suddenly I’m starting to
好奇我是否融进了这次对话
wonder whether I belong in this conversation.
我不喜欢这种感觉
I don’t like feeling that way.
好吧
Well.
我爱你说这话
I love you said that.
我不是为了打动你才说的
I didn’t say it to impress you.
这就是为什么打动了我
That’s why it did.
他的爸爸坐拥一个出版帝国
His dad owned a publishing empire.
他妈妈的家族有酒庄
His mom’s family had wineries.
我从来没和这种人打过交道
I’d never been around people like this.
– 爸 妈 – 你好
– Dad. Mom. – Hi.
这是我的女朋友 萝丝·许
This is Rose Hsu, my girlfriend.
女朋友这三个字使我很震惊
The one word sent me into total shock…
很久都没
from which, I’m afraid,
– 缓过神 – 你好
– I’ve never quite recovered. – How do you do?
– 你好 – 你好
– Hello. Hi. – Hello.
你介意我打断你的沉思加入你吗
Is this a private reverie or can an old lady join you?
好啊
Sure.
你和泰德没认识多久 对吗
You and Ted haven’t known each other long, have you?
– 事实上没多久 – 我直到今天
– Actually, no. – I’ve never
早上才从他口中听说你
heard him speak of you until this morning.
对一个母亲来说
But it’s always a thrill for
听到儿子兴奋的口吻
a mother to hear that sort of excitement…
总是会有点激动
in her son’s voice.
我希望你没有误解我
So I hope you won’t misunderstand…
要说的话
what I have to say.
我想让你知道 萝丝 我们是一个很开明的家庭
I want you to know, Rose, that we’re a very liberal family…
我简直不敢信她对我说的话
I couldn’t believe what she was telling me.
我们认识几个非常
– and we know several very…
有魅力的东方人
– charming Oriental people.
简直就是一些恶劣种族主义电影情节的翻版
It was straight out of some awful racist movie…
泰德将会和
– It’s just that Ted is going to be working…
就像电影 苏丝黄的世界(1960)
like The World of Suzie Wong.
他父亲一起在公♥司♥里工作 他会被
with his father in the company, and, uh, he’s going to be…
有不同准则的人评头论足
judged by people of a different standard:
出版商 作家 评论家还有他们的妻子
publishers, authors, critics and their wives.
他们不会像我们这么体谅
And they won’t be as understanding as we are.
乔丹夫人 你的口气听起来像是我和泰德要结婚
Mrs. Jordan, you sound as if Ted and I are getting married.
八字还没一撇
That’s hardly the case.
我知道 亲爱的 世人就是这样的
Oh, I know, dear, it’s just that, well, the way the world is.
越南多不受欢迎
How unpopular Vietnam was.
我不是越南人 我是美国人
I’m not Vietnamese. I’m American.
你当然是
Of course you are. It’s just–
我理解你 这就是我要说的
I understand you. That’s all I’m trying to say.
– 你明白吗 – 妈
– Do you understand? – Mom?
亲爱的
Hello, darling. We’re
– 我们聊得正好 – “亲爱的”?
– having a wonderful visit. – “Hello, darling”?
我一直知道你很混♥蛋♥
You know, you know, I always knew you were a jerk.
但是 靠 这是我人生中第一次为你感到羞耻
But, shit, this is the first time in my life I am ashamed of you.
你竟敢出言不逊
How dare you use that language.
我觉得你最好现在道歉
I think you better apologize right now.
对不起 妈 你在我爱的女人面前
I’m sorry, Mom, you made a fuckin’ asshole out of yourself…
表现得很混♥蛋♥
in front of the woman I love.
我们走
We’re outta here.
她母亲的所作所为我不觉得难过
I wasn’t sorry what his mother did.
如果他没来救场 我怎么会知道
How else would I have known, if he hadn’t rescued me…
他是这么好的一个人
how wonderful he was?
他爱着我
That he loved me.
六个月后 我们结婚了
In six months, we were married.
婚礼结束后 恐惧逐渐
After the wedding, the fears began to sink in…
浮现
take hold.
我还嫁给了
Everything I had married into.
压力 和压力带来的负担
The pressure, the weight of it.
我承诺自己可以摆平
I promised myself that I could handle it.
没有什么能够改变我
That nothing, nothing could ever change me.
或者我们
Or us.
韦恩 你能帮我把这个切成小片吗
Wayne, could you chop this up into smaller slices?
上次切得太大了 谢了
Last time they were way too big. Thanks.
你能在芥末鸡蛋里
Ah, also, could you dress the deviled eggs…
– 加番茄和西洋菜吗 – 起初
– with tomatoes and watercress– – At first,
只是一堆小事情
it was just a bunch of little things…
出于爱 一个妻子在
loving things a wife would
丈夫背后做的事
do behind the scenes without him even knowing.
比如 支付账单
You know, like paying the household bills…
乔 上次
– Joe, last time these…
这些芥末鸡蛋太闲了
– deviled eggs were too salty.
给他买♥♥特别的礼物表达我的爱
buying him special gifts that showed my love.
还是太咸了
That’s still too salty.
最赞的是 他从未开口索要这一切
The beautiful part was, he never had to ask for any of this.
事实是他从来都不知道
In fact, he never even knew.
我告诉自己这是无私奉献爱的方式
I told myself that was the selfless way, the loving way…
而不是怯懦的表现
instead of the chicken shit way.
我获得了爱达荷州一所
I was offered a fellowship in fine arts…
我钦慕的学校艺术学院的奖学金
to this school I admired in Idaho.
当然 继续深造不太可能
Of course, that was out of the question.
有意思的是 我从来没问过
The interesting part was, I never asked the question…
更没问过自己
not even of myself.
有时我真的不懂 我认真的
Sometimes I really don’t understand. I’m serious.
他离开了他的妻子
– He leaves his wife– – He
他现在掌管家族的两个杂♥志♥社
was running two of his family’s magazines now…
每周会有
– and there were four or five
四或五次商业应酬
business affairs each week.
我很乐意帮忙 也知道他对我心存感激
I was glad to help and knew he appreciated it.
我真的一点也不理解
I just don’t understand that at all. I don’t–
真的 如果你能解释给我
I really don’t. I mean, if you can explain it to me.
– 因为… – 为什么一个人要培养他们的女儿
– Because– – Why does one cultivate their daughter?
他们正好互不赞同
I mean, they happen to disagree with each other.
随着时间的流逝 我可以看出泰特变得厌倦
And, over time, I could see that Ted was becoming bored.
我们之间话越来越少
We said less and less.
我更加努力去试
So I tried harder.
我怀孕的理由是能想像的到的最糟的一条
I got pregnant for the worst reason imaginable,
挽留住婚姻的最后一招
a last attempt to hang on.
尽管当时我并没有这么想
Although, of course, I never thought of it that way at the time.
好消息是 他喜欢她
The good news was, he adored her.
亲爱的 我们今晚在家吃还是出去吃
Honey, should we eat in or out tonight?
– 你决定 – 呃
– You decide. – Well, uh…
如果我们在家吃 家里有羊排
if we eat in, I-I’ve got lamb chops.
或者我可以打电♥话♥叫外卖♥♥
Or I could call Ernie’s or Square One.
什么都行 随便你
Whatever you want. Really, it’ll be great.
我不是有心要打断你的工作
Okay. I didn’t mean to interrupt your work.
– 我自己想吧 – 你没有打扰我
– I’ll figure something out. – You’re not interrupting me.
真的 我是认真的 我想听听你的意见
Really, I meant what I said. I want to hear what you want.
我可以解冻鸡肉如果羊排太油腻了
‘Cause I could defrost a chicken if the lamb chops are too heavy.
你一天下来很辛苦 我没什么的
You’ve had a hard day. I-I don’t really care.
我只是想让你
I– I just want you to…
高兴
be happy.
亲爱的 怎么了
Honey, what’s wrong?
我说错什么了吗
Did I say something wrong?
只是偶尔
It’s just that once in a while…
我想听听你的意见
I would like to hear what you want.
– 你什么意思 – 我想听到你的心声
– What do you mean? – I mean, I’d like to hear your voice…
尽管我们互不赞同
even if we disagree.
– 你以前不这样 – 不这样?
– You used to be different. – Different?
你以前很有想法

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!