Newcastle I do not know so well.
请坐吧 不必拘谨
Please, sit down. Make yourselves at home.
我去拿香槟
We have champagne.
谢谢 约翰 在钢琴上
Thank you, John. Please, on the piano.
你看过基恩的《科西嘉兄弟》吗
Now did you ever see Mr. Keene’s Corsican Brothers?
很有趣 我很多年前看的
Interesting. I saw that melodrama many, many years ago…
内莉
Nelly.
感谢您的盛情款待 狄更斯先生 我们得走了
Thank you for your hospitality, Mr. Dickens. We must leave you.
范妮明早要试镜 早睡保养嗓子
Fanny has an audition in the morning and must rest her voice.
是啊是啊
But, of course, of course.
狄更斯先生 我们在赌今晚募集到的款数
We have a wager, Mr. Dickens, on how much we collected tonight.
我觉得有400磅 范妮觉得更多
I think 400 pounds, but Fanny thinks more.
那我马上清点 明早存进银行
Then I shall count it right away. It must be banked tomorrow.
-那岂不是彻夜不眠了 -反正也睡不好
– You’ll be up all night. – Well, I don’t sleep well anyway.
我们帮你吧 人多力量大
Why don’t we help you? Together it will take us no time.
-明早还要排练 -不必了
– We have a rehearsal in the morning. – No.
我和内莉可以帮忙 狄更斯先生
I could stay and help, Mr. Dickens, with Nelly.
-如果您不介意 -当然不
– If you have no objection. – No, I…
好啊 谢谢 谢谢
Well, yes, thank you. Thank you.
那我和范妮回家了
Well, then, I shall walk home with Fanny.
-好的 -谢谢你 狄更斯先生
– Very well. – Thank you, Mr. Dickens.
谢谢 晚安 玛利亚 范妮
Thank you. Good night, Maria. Good night, Fanny.
要不了多久
We shan’t be long.
507磅
507 pounds,
6先令 3便士
six shillings and thruppence.
-真有钱 -是啊
– We are rich. – Yes.
他们肯定很开心
And they will be delighted
一直到下次募捐
until the next time.
你喜欢这样吗
Do you like this life?
时刻在作秀
Constantly on show.
时刻被人关注
Constantly watched.
我也并不想这样 不过
Well, it is not always of my own making, but…
我应该不喜欢这样
I do not think I would.
但这就是我的工作
Well, I have my work.
很耗费精力的
It is a great foil.
他们只想让我全心投入工作
They try, but they cannot always find you there.
他们
They?
小贩 靠我赚钱的人
The hawkers, the men who need to make money,
等着看我栽跟头的人
who look to trip you up.
还有崇拜者
And then there are the admirers.
对你期望过高的人
Those who wish you to be more than you can possibly be.
有多高
And what is that?
期望我特别好吧
Good, I suppose.
我12岁那年 父亲欠债过多进了监狱
My father was sent to a debtor’s prison when I was 12.
我开始在鞋油厂工作
I worked in a blacking factory thereafter,
封瓶子 贴标签
sealing bottles and sticking labels.
糟糕透了
It was hateful.
-你喜欢你父亲吗 -这个嘛
– Were you fond of your father? – Well…
他是我第一位观众
He was my first audience.
抖包袱都是他帮我练的
I honed my comic lines on him.
我说的太多了
I’ve told you too much.
你真是太擅长演戏了
You’re too good at this. You, now, you.
我父亲就是演员
My father was an actor.
他父亲在都柏林开杂货店 也欠了债 去世了
The son of a Dublin grocer. Also in debt. Also dead.
我才7岁
When I was seven.
进了收♥容♥所♥
In an asylum.
我有个弟弟
I had a brother.
10个月就夭折了
He died at 10 months.
不过即使活下来 也不见得好跟姐妹相处
Though how a boy would have fit with three girls.
她全身心照顾我们
She is devoted to us.
我们的生活非常动荡
Our life is unpredictable.
你真是
You are…
怎么了
What?
你真是自♥由♥
You are so free.
再聊下去她就要睡到天亮了
She will sleep all night if we leave her.
我找约翰把马车叫来
I will ask John to bring the carriage around.
内莉
Nelly?
内莉
Nelly?
给我讲个秘密
Tell me a secret.
什么秘密
What kind of secret?
什么都行
Anything.
从没告诉过别人的
Something that you’ve never told
甚至是你不想说起的
anyone or perhaps never even thought of telling.
我的教名是罗莱丝[无法无天]My middle name is Lawless.
该你了
Now your turn.
艾伦·罗莱丝·特南
Ellen Lawless Ternan.
这就是我的秘密
That is my secret.
她都不到18岁
She’s barely 18.
我从来不担心你和玛利亚
I’ve never had to concern myself about you and Maria.
你和你妹妹总是有戏可演
There’s always a tour for you and your younger sister.
巴克斯通先生还问玛利亚可不可以演哑剧
Mr. Buckstone’s already enquired if Maria is free for pantomime.
可内莉
But Nelly…
内莉不一样
Nelly is different.
她的天赋不在演戏
Her talent lies elsewhere.
我爱她
I love her.
非常爱她
I love her dearly.
查尔斯·狄更斯不仅仅是个乐观的冒险家
Charles Dickens is not merely some opportunist, some adventurer.
我想的是她能得到什么
I am thinking about what this life can offer her.
她的未来
I’m thinking about her future.
那是什么样呢 母亲
What future would that be, Mother?
即便有天赋 我们这行依然很艰难
Our profession is hard enough, even if you have talent.
-走开 范妮 -我要一直陪着
– Go away, Fanny. – I will stay out here all day if I have to.
内莉
Nelly.
-就没人想告诉我吗 -内莉
– Did no one think of telling me? – Nelly.
你是我见过最真诚的人
You are the truest person I know in life,
可你不是演员
but you are not an actress.
还有什么事安排好了
And what other arrangements
你们却不想告诉我
have been made which I do not know about?
我们也只是关心你
It’s only because we care so.
你爱他吗
Do you love him?
他结婚了
He is married.
可他还是爱上了你
That has not stopped him falling in love with you.
我们想过《艰苦时代》 不过感觉不太对
We discussed Hard Times, but it just doesn’t feel quite right.
读起来一头雾水
I don’t know. They’re quite lost.
所以我觉得还是读《远大前程》吧
So I thought Great Expectations might be a choice for our readings.
《大卫·科波菲尔》也不错
David Copperfield is, of course, a contender,
但我还是更喜欢《远大前程》
but for me, Great Expectations wins out in the end.
你也这样觉得吗
Do you agree?
那本书不错
‘Tis a fine novel.
沃顿·罗宾逊夫人
Mrs. Wharton Robinson,
我看您多愁善感 心烦意乱
I see you are soulful, distracted.
应该是
There is some…
就像
As if…
丢了魂似的
…a part of you is absent.
恕我冒昧
I do not wish to intrude.
你是不是与丈夫谈过了
You talk, I am sure, to your husband.
没有
No.
不是每个女人
Not all wives do.
都能向至爱的人吐露心声的
To confide in the person you love the most,
做起来并不容易
well, sometimes that is hard.
乔治是个好人
George is a good man.
-很好的人 -是啊
– A very good man. – Of course.
可你还是觉得苦恼
But you are troubled.
虽然时有时无
Comes and then it goes.
可苦恼总是能找上你
But it returns.
我想帮你
I wish to help you.
我想赢得你的信任
I hope I can be someone you can trust.
-我真的很好 -不好
– Really, I’m quite well. – You are not.
别这样 本纳姆先生
Please, Mr. Benham.
你说吧 我保证不做评价
I will listen without judgment.
我等着你
I am always here.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!