“when a high, green, vast hillside of water
“卷过危船 向岸上猛扑而来
“moving on shoreward from beyond the ship,
“他好似飞身一跃 随即没入巨浪之中
“he seemed to leap up into it with a mighty bound.
“而危船也消失不见
“And the ship was gone.”
名不虚传 狄更斯先生
Truly, Mr. Dickens, it is never
由作者亲自朗读 更加栩栩如生了
so alive as when it is spoken by its author.
多谢 失陪一下
Thank you. Thank you. Will you excuse me?
-特南太太 -狄更斯先生
– Mrs. Ternan. – Mr. Dickens.
实在是太精彩了
It was remarkable.
您的表演真是张弛有度
Such control, such mastery in your performance.
谢谢 据说这样书就卖♥♥得好
Thank you. I am told these readings double sales.
您的朗读实在精彩 狄更斯先生
It was quite brilliant, Mr. Dickens.
-真的吗 -当然
– It was? – Yes. Yes.
-非常精彩 -范妮小姐
– Absolutely. – Miss Fanny.
-我们十分想念你 -显然还不够想
– We’ve missed you. – Well, not enough, it would seem.
-狄更斯太太没来吗 -今天没来
– Mrs. Dickens isn’t here? – No, not today.
错过这表演真是可惜
What a pity to have missed it.
好一场风暴
Such a storm.
我们都深受震撼
We were quite blown off course.
-所以没有令人失望吧 -当然没有
– So, it did not disappoint? – No.
-其实 -其实什么
– Well… – Well?
内莉把每一章都读了两遍
Nelly has read every chapter twice.
虽然我读了两遍
I may have read every chapter twice,
但听您朗读才深有体会
but I didn’t really hear it until now.
经您演绎 我感觉好像置身于现场
Hearing it spoken, I felt I was in the storm.
与科波菲尔一起目睹他的朋友溺水身亡
I was there with Copperfield seeing his friend drowned.
实在令人伤心
It was unbearable.
是啊 我
Yes, I…
我很荣幸
I am glad.
查尔斯 还是你来陪那几位先生说话吧
Charles, do please come and talk to these gentlemen.
虽然我已经陪聊了几分钟
I’ve been entertaining them for several minutes now,
但我觉得你去才够格
but ultimately I feel I am a poor substitute.
威尔基 我这就去
Wilkie, l am coming.
您接下来去哪里演出
Where are you playing next?
他们接了唐克斯特的戏约 为期三周
They’re engaged to play Doncaster for three weeks.
-什么戏目 -两出悲剧 一出滑稽剧
– And what are you playing? – Two tragedies and a farce.
-滑稽剧 什么滑稽剧 -《衬裙的宠物》
– A farce? What farce? -The Pet of the Petticoats.
《衬裙的宠物》 这名字的确滑稽
The Pet of the Petticoats? What a terrible title.
没错
Yes.
唐卡斯特的赛马很精彩 我失陪一下
But very good races, Doncaster. Excuse me. Don’t go away.
凯瑟琳
Catherine.
什么事
Yes?
能陪我坐坐吗
Shall we sit together?
如果你希望的话
If you wish.
你要是不想那就算了 我
Well, no, if you’d prefer not, I…
我昨晚没睡好 我看我还是早睡吧
I did not sleep well last night. Perhaps I will go to bed now.
当然 好的
Yes, of course, yes.
威尔基给《家常话》杂♥志♥想了个点子
Wilkie has an idea for Household Words.
去北方旅行
A trip to the North.
起名为《两个悠闲学徒的旅行》
He’s calling it A Lazy Tour of Two Idle Apprentices.
大约要写个几页吧
It might be a couple of pages in it.
你打算先去哪
Where will you start?
唐卡斯特
Doncaster, I think.
把灯调亮些吧
Turn up the lamp.
光这么暗 怎么看清
You cannot write in this light.
她赢了 她赢了
She won! She won!
内莉 赢啦
Nelly, victory.
内莉 你赢了
Nelly, you’ve won!
-赢了多少 -5先令
– How much? – 5 shillings.
-5先令 -有鬼 绝对有鬼
– 5 shillings? – It was fixed. It was fixed.
您不会这么输不起吧 柯林斯先生
I hope you’re not a bad sport, Mr. Collins.
-我非常输不起 -不想输就要赢
– I am a very bad sport. – Then you must win.
你打算怎么花这笔钱 内莉
So, what will you do with your winnings, Nelly?
我打算一口气全花了
I shall spend it all at once.
不 我要先花半先令买♥♥一份《家常话》
No, I may spend a half a shilling on a copy of Household Words
好尽早得知
just to be sure the two
那两个学徒闲荡一圈之后平安到家了没
apprentices returned safely from their lazy tour.
他们会平安回家的 虽然不想回去
They did, though they did not want to go home.
那他们的家人怎么办
But what of their families?
家人们肯定怀念他俩
Well, they missed them of course,
但他们俩实在是享受自♥由♥
but they did so enjoy being away.
查尔斯·狄更斯
Charles Dickens.
-查尔斯 你被人认出来了 -狄更斯先生
– Charles, you’ve been rumbled. – Mr. Dickens.
你好 日安 谢谢
Hello. Good day. Yes. Thank you.
真是幸会啊
How very unexpected.
谢谢 谢谢
Thank you. Thank you.
欢迎来到约克郡 您会为我们写本书吗
Welcome to Yorkshire. Will you write a book about us?
狄更斯先生 很荣幸见到您
Mr. Dickens, great talking to you.
艾伦小姐
Miss Ellen.
-狄更斯先生 -谢谢
– Mr. Dickens. – Thank you.
-我读过您的所有作品 -谢谢
– I’ve read all your stories. – Thank you.
这边走
Through there, please.
-请当心 -好的 夫人
– Watch it! – Yes, ma’am.
-我来拿吧 亲爱的 -谢了 母亲
– Give me that, Maria dear. – Thank you, Mother.
快到了
Nearly there.
-到家了 -到家了
– Home. – Home.
这是你的
That’s yours.
-你看需要洗一下吗 -还是洗洗吧
– Does that need washing, do you think? – I’ll put it in.
看来没法再穿一季了
This will not stretch to another season.
两条袖子都打补丁可不好
I cannot mend another sleeve again.
袖口还没破
The cuffs are still good.
领口上的花边也可以再用
And there’s lace on the collar I can save.
-好 我拆下来 -玛利亚 还有这花边
– Yes, I’ll unpick it. – Maria, also this hem.
多谢
Thank you. Look.
要洗的衣服都给我
I’m collecting washing.
给你
Here.
签过名了
This signed?
-纪念品而已 -我的剪子在哪
– A souvenir. – Where are my scissors?
在抽屉里
They’re in the drawer.
算件宝贝了
It’s to be treasured.
凯瑟琳
Catherine.
抱歉
Excuse me.
你怎么起这么早
Why are you up so early?
-我得去趟伦敦 -现在就去
– I must go to London. – Now?
-这么早没有火车 -那我走着去
– There will be no train. – Well, then I shall walk.
那得走一整天
It will take you all day.
一整天就一整天吧
Then it will take me all day.
你还真是顽固
So, here’s perverseness.
不对 原来查尔斯更得你心
No, no, ’tis Charles only whom you would prefer.
显然他的蠢举与恶习打动了你
‘Tis evident his vices and follies have won your heart.
我完全听从了您
I have obeyed you,
既不见他 亦不与他通信
both in neither seeing nor corresponding with him.
因此不知我还有何错
Yet I cannot think it culpable if,
尽管我由衷厌恶他的种种恶习
though my understanding severely condemns his vices,
但我内心却
my heart professes some…
却希望能体谅他紧张失措
Suggests some pity for his distresses.
唉 那便明晨举♥行♥婚礼罢
Egad, we’ll have the wedding tomorrow morning.
谢谢您 亲爱的叔父
Thank you, dear uncle.
好生无礼 你竟不征询女方的意愿
What, you rogue, don’t you ask the girl’s consent first?
我早已向她求婚
I have done that a long time…
大约一分钟之前吧 而且她
A minute ago and she looked…
-心甘情愿 -好不知羞 查尔斯
– Yes. – For shame, Charles.
我有异议 彼得爵士 他一个字都未问过
I protest, Sir Peter. There has not been a word.
那是因为我们一个字都听不见
Because we can’t hear a word!
良言贵精不贵多
Well, then the fewer the better.
愿你两人永远相爱 再无怨言
May your love for each other never know abatement.
从此厮守终生 像我和提泽尔夫人
And may you live as happily together
当初期望的那样
as Lady Teazle and I intend to do.
实在太精彩了 内莉
That was very good, Nelly.
是吗 母亲
Really, Mother?
你的表演实在是性格鲜明 内莉

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!