查尔斯·狄更斯
回想过去 说来奇妙
每个人对别人来说 生来就是个秘密 深奥又不可思议
1883年 英国 马盖特
禁止通行
查尔斯·狄更斯 威尔基·柯林斯 著
马盖特高中
孩子们的课程覆盖面很广
Our boys’ curriculum is very wide.
每学期末 他们都要表演一个短剧
They perform a short play at the end of every term.
我妻子一直很喜欢戏剧
Theater’s an abiding interest of my wife.
-玛丽 能帮我倒杯茶吗 -好的 先生
– Mary, tea if you please. – Yes, sir.
门是开着的
Through the open door.
内莉 你去哪儿了
Nelly, where were you?
本纳姆先生三点就来了
Mr. Benham has been here since 3:00.
非常抱歉
I’m so sorry.
兰博先生在尽力安排演出呢
Mr. Lambourne has been organizing the boys best he can.
我完全忘了时间
I lost all sense of time.
注意边角 孩子们
Careful with those corners, boys.
-好的 太太 -好的 太太
– Yes, ma’am. – Yes, ma’am.
谢谢你 玛丽
Thank you, Mary.
沃顿·罗宾逊太太 您终于来了
Mrs. Wharton Robinson. At last.
非常抱歉 本纳姆先生
I’m so sorry, Mr. Benham.
我马不停蹄赶来的 请原谅
I just kept walking. Forgive me.
孩子们 我们从第三幕开始
Dear boys, let’s go from the third act.
所有人就位
Everyone get into positions.
-好的 太太 -谢谢你 兰博先生
– Yes, ma’am. – Thank you, Mr. Lambourne.
得有所保留 不能给本纳姆先生看全
Mr. Benham must not see all our tricks quite yet
否则明天就毫无悬念了
or there’ll be nothing left to show him tomorrow.
-外面冷吗 -冷 但能让人头脑清醒
– It is cold outside? -It is, but it clears the mind.
在学期结束前
It would be good to decide
最好敲定阅读材料
on the readings before the end of term.
那当然 过会儿再说这个吧
Of course. Perhaps later.
劳伦森 谭纳 你们准备好了吗
Laurenson and Tanner, are you ready?
是的 太太
Yes, ma’am.
乔佛里
Geoffrey dear,
别忘了 最后一句时你再上来
don’t forget, you come in on the final line.
坐下
Sit there.
寇茨 沃森 把这些拿上
Coates, Watson, take those.
-谢谢你 太太 -谢谢你 太太
– Thank you, ma’am. – Thank you, ma’am.
我记得狄更斯先生和柯林斯先生的
I recall no lion in Mr. Dickens
剧里没有狮子吧 沃顿·罗宾逊太太
and Mr. Collins’ play, Mrs. Wharton Robinson.
为了增加戏剧效果
A little dramatic license.
我相信狄更斯先生不会介意的
I’m confident that Mr. Dickens would have let it pass.
耶茨 请把幕布拉下来
Yates, if you could drop the backing.
好的 太太
Yes, ma’am.
音乐准备
Musicians.
-所有人准备就绪了吗 -准备好了
– Is everyone ready? – I think so.
是的 太太
Yes, ma’am.
孩子们 记住你们的位置
Boys, remember your positions.
开始吧
Let’s begin.
兄弟们 黎明终将到来
Well, my lads, the day is breaking at last.
是”终于” 哈德利 和终将不一样呢
“Has broken,” Hadley. Mr. Dickens was very particular.
先生们 终于破晓了
Well, my lads, the day has broken at last.
今天的天气怎么样
What do you say to the weather now?
我已经准备好跟各位一起翻山越岭了
I am ready to cross the mountain with the gentleman,
如果有人愿意跟我一起去的话
if the others will go with me.
我看得出来 风暴要来袭了
I can see for myself there’s a storm coming.
有雪的味道 空气中有飓风的味道
I smell the snow. I feel the hurricane in the air.
无论给我多少钱
No money those gentlemen can offer
我今天都不会翻过这座山
will tempt me to cross the mountain with them today.
谭纳 该你了
Tanner, your cue.
你们到底准备好了吗
Well, are you ready at last?
我的耐心已经耗尽了
My patience is at an end.
我厌倦了迟疑和耽搁
I’m sick and weary of all this doubt and delay.
我听您差遣 一定一直陪伴你们
I’m your man. I will guide you to your journey’s end.
-随时待命 -出发吧
– Say when. – Now.
-准备好了吗 -准备好了
– Are you ready? – I’m ready.
来吧
Come along.
先拉紧
Pull it taut.
两边都要竖起来
Upright like a brigadier.
最后穿过来
And thread it through.
谢谢你
Thank you.
你今天又去海滩了吗
Were you on the beach again today?
布鲁克小姐说她看到你了
Miss Brooke thought she saw you.
是的
Yes.
-看 瞧见了吗 签过名的 -真的吗
– Look. See? It is signed. – Really?
很显然他根据内莉塑造了露西·马内特的形象
Apparently he modeled the character of Lucie Manette on Nelly.
她的家庭与内莉孩童时期的家庭很相似
The families were very close when Nelly was a child.
我相信他受过很多人的启发
I’m sure he drew inspiration from many people.
我妻子爱死他的小说了
My wife adores his novels.
当然 大多时候他很幽默 但偶尔也有阴郁
Of course, he’s often very funny, but I find a little bleak.
不禁让人怀疑有恶魔在他脑中肆虐
One wonders what demons raged in his mind.
的确如此
Indeed.
有个叫萨克雷的作家就是这样的
Thackeray, there’s a writer.
乔治 你不能拿他们相提并论
George, you cannot compare them.
我同意 我站在狄更斯先生这边
I agree. I am for Mr. Dickens.
有时候我真羡慕沃顿·罗宾逊太太
There are times that I have envied Mrs. Wharton Robinson
小时候就认识他了
to have known him even as a child.
作为一位作家
A writer.
虽然有时阴郁
Yes, at times bleak,
但他能让我们因自己的荒谬开怀大笑
but one who makes us laugh at our own absurdity.
让我们清楚地看到自己的愚蠢
We see ourselves clearly in all our folly.
他去世很多年了 却还活在我们心中
He’s been dead for some years, but yes, he is still with us.
谢谢你 本纳姆先生
Thank you, Mr. Benham.
谈到这个话题 我经常失控
It is a subject in which I sometimes run away with myself,
这点沃顿·罗宾逊太太非常明白
as Mrs. Wharton Robinson knows only too well.
情感失控 情感失控
Run away. Run away.
这下我又想拜读他的作品了
I, for one, am determined to revisit him immediately.
-先看哪本比较好 -《马丁·翟述伟》
– Where would you suggest I begin? – Martin Chuzzlewit.
任何小说 如果不能令人短暂愉悦
Any novel, but for brief pleasure,
还不如去看
I would suggest browsing through
狄更斯先生的文学周刊
a copy of Dickens’ weekly literary magazine.
《家常话》
Household Words.
刊登了他很多作品
A collection of many of his writings,
当然 还有他的小说节选
and indeed, chapters of his novels.
如果你们想借阅 沃顿·罗宾逊太太
And I’m sure Mrs. Wharton Robinson would not mind
不会介意的
if you cared to borrow.
那是当然
Of course.
我妻子几乎收藏了所有版本
My wife has nearly every edition.
我们的书架都快摆不下了
We have run out of shelves.
-先生 -好的 谢谢你 玛丽
– Sir. – Good. Thank you, Mary.
《冰缘》
The Frozen Deep.
你还有柯林斯先生的剧本吗
You have the text of Mr. Collins’ play?
是的 不过这剧算不上精彩
Yes. It is not a good play.
我给你找一本好看的
But I shall find you one.
-《大卫·科波菲尔》 -《大卫·科波菲尔》
– David Copperfield. – David Copperfield?
-做阅读材料 -好的
– For our readings. – Yes.
你明天还散步吗
Will you walk again tomorrow?
也许吧
Perhaps.
我能和你一起吗
May I join you?
我走得很快
I walk at quite a pace.
曼彻斯特 数年前
-欢迎 欢迎您 特南太太 -谢谢 查理
– Welcome. Welcome, Mrs. Ternan. – Thank you, Charley.
天呐
Oh, dear.
小心点
Yes, do be careful now.
天呐
Oh, my!
-玛利亚小姐 进来吧 -谢谢你
– Miss Maria. Come inside. – Thank you.
-快进来 -谢谢
– Come inside. – Thank you.
艾伦小姐 欢迎到来
Miss Ellen, welcome.
-你的手套 -谢谢你
– Your glove. – Thank you.
我是查理·狄更斯 欢迎来到曼彻斯特
I’m Charley Dickens. Welcome to Manchester.
地上都是水
It’s so wet.
我父亲在等你们 其他人已经到了
My father is waiting. The others are already here.
-内莉 看 看到了吗 -我们在这儿呢
– Nelly, look. See? – There we are.