and one little web, and all sorts of webs doesn’t work,
一个小网站或者一堆独♥立♥的网站也没什么用
because you can’t follow links from one to the other.
因为你不能从一个网页链接到另一个网页
You had to have the critical masses–the thing was the entire planet,
你必须拥有一些链接点,这些网站才能成为一个完整的生态系统
so it’s not going to work unless the whole planet can get on board.
只有这整个生态系统存在,这些网站才能运转正常
I feel very strongly that it’s not enough to just live in the world as it is,
我非常强烈地感受到人不能生活在循规蹈矩中
to just kind of take what you’re given, and you know, follow the things that adults told you to do,
被前人的经验所束缚
and that your parents told you to do, and that society tells you to do. I think you should always be questioning
而应该勇于提出质疑
.
I take this very scientific attitude, that
everything you’ve learned is just provisional,
我会采取这样一种学术态度,即所有学到的知识只是暂时的
that it’s always open to recantation or refutation or
questioning, and I think the same applies to society.
它是可以被改变、被反驳、被质疑的,且这个理论同样适用于整个社会
Once I realized that there were real serious problems–fundamental problems–
一旦我认识到有真正严重的问题,原则性问题时,
that I could do something to address, I didn’t see a way to forget that.
I didn’t see a way not to.
一些我可以采取措施去解决的基础性问题时,我不能忽略它,为什么不想办法解决呢
We just started spending a lot of time,
我们才刚刚开始彼此长时间接触
just kind of as friends.
就像朋友一样
We would just talk, for hours, into the night.
我们在晚上只是单纯聊天也可以聊很久
I definitely should have understood that he was flirting with me. I think to some degree,
我当然知道,他是在和我调情,从某些方面来讲
I was, like, this is a terrible idea, and impossible, and therefore I will pretend it is not happening.
我觉得这个想法不好,是不可能有好结果的,因此我假装它从未发生过
As my marriage was breaking down, and I was
really stuck without anywhere to go,
我刚好离婚了,当时真的感到无家可归
we became roommates, and I brought my daughter over.
我们同居了,我把女儿带了过来
We moved in, and furnished the house, and it
was really peaceful.
我们搬进来,添置了家居,在这里生活非常平静
My life had not been peaceful for a while, and really neither had his.
我的生活真的没试过这么平静
We were extremely close from the beginning of our romantic relationship.
我们的关系从一开始就变得极其亲密、浪漫
We just…we were in constant contact.
我们时常联♥系♥对方
But we’re both really difficult people to deal with. [laughs]
但我们都是很难相处的人(笑)
In a very Ally McBeal discussion, he confessed he had a theme song, and I made him play it for me.
在一次 Very Ally McBeal 的讨论中,他说他会一个主题曲,我就让他弹给我听
It was “Extraordinary Machine” by Fiona Apple.
Fiona Apple说:“非常好!”
I think it was just that sense of kind of being a little bit embattled that the song has,
但我觉得那首歌♥有点让人心烦意乱
and it also had, like, this hopefulness to it.
它也有充满希望的意味
♪ By foot it’s a slow climb, but I’m good
at being uncomfortable so I can’t stop
♪ 这是一段遥远的路程,但我很享受这个过程
changing all the time ♪
♪ 所以我必须不停改变
In many ways, Aaron was tremendously optimistic about life.
Even when he didn’t feel it,
从很多方面来讲,亚伦对于生活都是极其乐观的,即使他没有意识到这点
he could be tremendously optimistic about life.
他对生活真的非常乐观!
♪ Extraordinary machine ♪
– What are you doing?
你在干什么呢?
(Quinn) – Flicker has video now.
在Flicker做视频
Swartz threw his energy into a string of new
斯沃茨把他的精力都放在一系列新的
projects involving access to public information,
涉及到公共信息使用权的项目上
including an accountability webside called
Watchdog.net,
包括一个叫Watchdog.net的问责制网站
and a project called The Open Library.
还有一个叫开放图书馆的项目
So, the Open Library Project is a website you can visit at openlibrary.org,
开放图书馆项目是一个网站,网址是openlibrary.org
and the idea is to be a huge wiki, an editable website with one page per book.
我们的想法是它可以做成一个大型的维♥基♥百♥科♥,一个每本书只有一页的可编辑网站
So for every book ever published, we want to have a web page about it that combines
因而对于已经出版发行的每一本书,我们希望有一个关于它的网页,这个网页
all the information from publishers, from booksellers, from libraries, from readers
包括这本书从发行商、销♥售♥商、图书馆、读者等方面得到的所有信息
onto one site, and then gives you links where
you can buy it, you can borrow it, or you can browse it.
所有信息都只在一个网页上,这个网页可以给你链接,方便找到购买♥♥、租借或浏览这本书的地方
I love libraries. I’m the kind of person who
goes to a new city and immediately seeks out the library.
我喜欢图书馆,我是那种每到一个新城市就立即去找图书馆的人
That’s the dream of Open Library, is building this website where both you can leap
建立这个网站是我们关于开放图书馆的梦想
from book to book, from person to author, from subject to idea, go through this vast tree
可以让你能够实现从一本书到另一本书、从读者到作者、从主题到主旨之间的跳跃
of knowledge that’s been embedded and lost in big physical libraries, that’s hard to find,
去体验这个储存着海量知识的“智慧树”,它根植于实体图书馆,而且已经迷失其中,所以知识非常难找
that’s not very well-accessible online. It’s really important because books are our cultural legacy.
即便是在线也不容易获取。书籍是我们的文化遗产,所以非常重要
Books are the place people go to write things down,
书籍是人类记录事情、记录历史的地方
and to have all that swallowed up by one corporation is kind of scary.
但所有的这些信息都被一家公♥司♥覆盖,这是无法想象的
How can you bring public access to the public domain?
你能怎样让公众有权进入公共领域?
It may sound obvious that you’d have public access to the public domain,
这似乎显示着你已经有了公共领域内的公共访问权
but in fact it’s not true. So the public domain should be free to all, but it’s often locked up.
但实际上并不是这样。公共领域本应对所有公众免费开放,但事实上它却常常关闭
There’s often guard cages. It’s like having a national park but with a moat around it,
它总是设有警戒,就像一个国家公园,周围建有护城河环绕着
and gun turrets pointed out, in case somebody might want to actually come and enjoy the public domain.
有枪炮守卫着周围,一切都是为了防止公众进入并享用公共领域
One of the things Aaron was particularly interested in was bringing public access to the public domain.
亚伦对如何让公众有进入公共领域的权力一事很感兴趣
This is one of the things that got him into so much trouble.
这件事也给他带来很多麻烦
I had been trying to get access to federal court records in the United States.
我已经尝试获得使用美国联邦法♥院♥的记录
What I discovered was a puzzling system called PACER.
我发现了一个让人迷惑的体系,它叫做PACER
Which stands for Public Access to Court Electronic Records.
它代表着联邦法♥院♥电子信息记录的公共访问权
I started Googling, and that’s when I ran
across Carl Malamud.
我开始在谷歌♥上搜索它时,我撞见了Carl Malamud
Access to legal materials in the United States is a ten billion dollar per year business.
在美国获取法律材料是一项每年一百亿的生意
PACER is just this incredible abomination
of government services. It’s ten cents a page,
PACER正是这种难以置信的、令人厌恶的政♥府♥服务。每页要花费十美分
it’s this most brain-dead code you’ve ever seen. You can’t search it. You can’t bookmark anything.
这是你曾见过的最愚蠢的代码,你搜索不到它,你不能标记任何东西
You’ve got to have a credit card, and these are public records.
你必须要有一张信♥用♥卡♥,这些是公共档案
U.S. district courts are very important; it’s
where a lot of our seminal litigation starts.
美国地方法♥院♥非常重要,它是许多影响深远的诉讼开始的地方
Civil rights cases, patent cases, all sorts of stuff. Journalists, students, citizens and lawyers
民事权利案件,专利案件,所有案件。记者、学生、公民和律师
all need access to PACER, and it fights them every step of the way.
都需要通过PACER才能获得 ,而PACER却步步阻拦他们
People without means can’t see the law as readily as people that have that Gold American Express card.
没有收入的人们无法像那些有美国运通金卡的人们一样便利地借助法律
It’s a poll tax on access to justice.
它是通向正义路途上的人头税
You know, the law is the operating system of our democracy, and you have to pay to see it?
法律是我们民♥主♥的操作系统,而你却不得不支付费用才能使用它
You know, that’s not much of a democracy.
那可称不上是民♥主♥
They make about 120 million dollars a year on the PACER system,
依靠PACER系统,他们每年能赚1.2亿美金左右
and it doesn’t cost anything near that, according to their own records. In fact, it’s illegal.
而根据他们自己的记录,它不需要任何成本。实际上,这是不合法的
The E-Government Act of 2002 states that the courts may charge only to the extent necessary,
2002年的《电子政♥府♥法案》指出,法庭只收取必要的钱
in order to reimburse the costs of running PACER.
以偿还运营PACER的费用
As the founder of Public.Resource.Org, Malamud wanted to protest the PACER charges.
作为Public.Resource.Org的建立者 Malamud想要抗♥议♥PACER的收费
He started a program called The PACER Recycling Project,
他启动了一个叫做PACER回收计划的程序
where people could upload PACER documents they had already paid for
在这里人们可以上传他们已经支付过的PACER文档
to a free database so others could use them.
到一个免费的数据库,这样其他人也可以使用这些文档
The PACER people were getting a lot of flack from Congress and others about public access,
PACER的工作人员从国会和其他人那里收到了很多关于公共访问权的严厉指责
and so they put together a system in 17 libraries across the country that was free PACER access.
于是他们组建了一个可以免费进入PACER的系统分别置于全国各地的十七家图书馆中
You know, that’s one library every 22,000 square miles, I believe, so it wasn’t like really convenient.
一个图书馆大约有22000平方英里大,所以我认为那并不是很方便
I encouraged volunteers to join the so-called Thumb Drive Corps,
我鼓励志愿者加入“闪存盘战队”
and download docs from the public access libraries, upload them to the PACER recycling site.
从那17家图书馆中下载文档然后上传到PACER回收站里
People take a thumb drive into one of these libraries, and they download a bunch of documents,
人们把闪存盘带入其中一个图书馆里下载大量的文件
and they send them to me. I mean, it was just a joke.
然后把文件传送给我……我开玩笑呢
In fact, when you clicked on Thumb Drive Corps, there was a Wizard of Oz,
实际上,当你点击“闪存盘战队”的时候,会出现“绿野仙踪”
you know, the Munchkins singing, so a videoclip came up:
小矮人们唱着歌♥,然后会一段视频出现了
♪ We represent the lollipop guild…♪
“我们代表棒棒糖协会……”
But of course, I get this phone calls from Steve Shultz and Aaron, saying,
但是当然,我从Steve Shultz 和亚伦那里接到电♥话♥,说:
“Gee, we’d like to join the Thumb Drive Corps.”
“Gee,我们想要加入闪存盘战队。”
Around that time, I ran into Aaron at a conference.
大概在那时,我在一次会议上撞见了亚伦
This is something that really has to be a collaboration between a lot of different people.
这是一件需要协调很多方面的事情
So I approached him and I said,
所以我联♥系♥了他
“Hey, I am thinking about an intervention on the PACER problem.”
“嘿 我正在考虑入侵PACER的问题。”
Schultz had already developed a program that could automatically download PACER documents
Schultz已经开♥发♥了一个可以通过那17个图书馆自动下载PACER上的文档的程序
from the trial libraries.
Swartz wanted to take a look.
斯沃茨想看一眼
So, I showed him the code, and I didn’t know what would come next,
于是我就把代码告诉了他,我不知道接下来会发生什么
but as it turns out, over the course of the next few hours at that conference,
但是事实证明,在那个会议上接下来的几个小时
he was off sitting in a corner, improving my code, recruiting a friend of his
他离开座位然后坐到一个角落里,改进我的代码,
that lived near one of these libraries to go into the library, and to begin to test his improved code.
找了他一个住在其中一家图书馆附近的朋友去图书馆里,开始测试他改进过的代码
At which point the folks at the courts realized something is not going quite according to plan.
此时,法♥院♥的人们意识到一些事情并没有按照计划进行
And data started to come in, and come in, and come in
然后数据开始不断涌进来
and soon there was 760 GB of PACER docs, about 20 million pages.
不久就有了760GB的PACER文档 大概有两千万页内容
Using information retrieved from the trial libraries,
利用这些从图书馆获得的信息
Swartz was conducting massive automated parallel downloading of the PACER system.
斯沃茨引导大量从PACER系统自动并行下载得到的东西
He was able to acquire nearly 2.7 million Federal Court documents, almost 20 million pages of text.
他也能获取大约二百七十万份联邦法庭的文件,约两千万页文本
Now, I’ll grant you that 20 million pages had perhaps exceed the expectations of the people
现在,我承认两千万页也许已经超出了参与运营试点接入计划人们的预期
running the pilot access project, but surprising a bureaucrat isn’t illegal.
但是让那些官僚大吃一惊并不是犯法的事
Aaron and Carl decided to go talk to The New York Times about what happened.
亚伦和Carl决定向《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》坦言发生的一切
They also caught the attention of the FBI, who began to stake out Swartz’s parents’ house in Illinois.
他们同样引起了联邦调查局的注意,联邦调查局开始监视斯沃茨父母在伊利诺斯州的房♥子
And I get a tweet from his mother, saying, “Call me!!”
然后我接到了他妈妈的一条推特,写着“打电♥话♥给我!”
So, I think, like, what the hell’s going on here?
因此我想,到底怎么回事?
And so, finally I get a hold of Aaron and, you know, Aaron’s mother was like, “Oh my God, FBI, FBI, FBI!”
于是最终我找到了亚伦,亚伦的妈妈一直在说 :“天呐,联邦调查局,联邦调查局,联邦调查局!”
An FBI agent drives down our home’s driveway, trying to see if Aaron is in his room.
一个调查局特工开车到我们家,想看看亚伦是不是在他的房♥间
I remember being home that day, and wondering why this car was driving down our driveway,
我记得那天我在家,想知道为什么这辆车会沿着我们家的车道过来
and just driving back up. That’s weird!
然后又掉头回去 ,太奇怪了!
Like, five years later I read this FBI file, like, oh my goodness: that was the FBI agent, in my driveway.
大约五年后,我读了调查局的文件,上帝啊——在我家车道上的是调查局特工!
He was terrified. He was totally terrified.
他很害怕,真的很害怕
He was way more terrified after the FBI actually called him up on the phone,
调查局真的给他打过电♥话♥之后,他更害怕了
and tried to sucker him into coming down to a coffee shop without a lawyer.
调查局想说服他不带律师一个人去一家咖啡店
He said he went home and lay down on the bed and, you know, was shaking.
他说他回到家,躺在床上浑身发抖

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!