and I think what was driving the prosecution was the sense that Swartz was committed,
而且我认为驱使检方提出这一诉讼的原因在于斯沃茨下定决心
not just to breaking the law, but to really making sure that law was nullified.
不仅要违反法律,而是要确保这部法律被废除
That everyone would have access to the database in a way that
每个人都能获取这些数据,是不可逆转的事实
you couldn’t put the toothpaste back into the tube.
如同你不可能把牙膏挤回管里一样,
It would be done, and Swartz’s side would win.
斯沃茨会把事情做成,他会赢
There’s a big disagreement in society as to whether that is an unjust law,
这部法律的公正性在社会上引起了很大争议
and ultimately, that is a decision for the American people to make, working through Congress.
最终,美国人♥民♥将会通过议会来作出决定
And then the second problem is, I think, we’re still trying to figure out:
接下来的第二个问题,我认为是,我们仍在试图弄明白
What’s the line between less serious offences and more serious offences?
罪行轻重的界限在哪里?
We’re now entering this different environment of computers and computer misuse,
我们现在进入了一个不同的充斥着计算机和计算机滥用的环境
and we don’t yet have a really strong sense of exactly what these lines are
而我们还不太确定这些边界在哪里

because we’re just working that out.
原因在于我们才刚刚起步
This is a poor use of prosecutorial discretion.
这是对检控裁量权的错误使用
The hammer that the Justice Department has to scare people with
司法部用来恐吓群众的法槌
just gets bigger and bigger and bigger,
越来越大,越来越大
and so most people just–you know, you can’t roll the dice with your life like that.
大多数人——你知道,不会用自己的生活做赌注

Should we tap somebody’s phone? Should we film them?
我们应该偷看别人的手♥机♥吗?我们应该偷♥拍♥他们吗?
Should we turn somebody and get them to testify against these other people?
我们应该让一些人作证指控另一些人吗?
That’s how federal agents and prosecutors think.
这正是联邦特工和检察官的想法
They build cases. They make cases.
他们建立案件。他们制♥造♥案件
Swartz was caught in the gears of a brutal criminal justice system that could not turn back,
斯沃茨被卡在了残暴的刑事司法体系的齿轮中,无法脱身
a machine that has made America the country with the highest rate of incarceration in the world.
这台机器使得美国成为了世界上监禁率最高的国家
We have, in this country, allowed ourselves to be captured by the politics of fear and anger,
在这个国家,我们容忍♥让我们恐惧和愤怒的政♥治♥
and anything we’re afraid of, like the future of the internet and access,
我们服从于让我们恐惧的事,例如互联网和访问权限的未来
and anything we’re angry about, instinctively creates a criminal justice intervention,
我们服从于让我们愤怒的事,本能地促成了刑事司法的介入
and we’ve used jail, prison, and punishment to resolve a whole host of problems
我们运用看守所、监狱和刑法去解决大量的
that, historically, were never seen as criminal justice problems.
在历史上从未被当做刑事问题的问题
The impulse to threaten, indict, prosecute, which is part of what
对于恐吓、控告、起诉的亢奋,
has created this debate and controversy over online access and information on the internet,
引起了有关在线数据库和网络信息的讨论和争议
is very consistent with what we’ve seen in other areas.
这种亢奋同样存在于其他领域
The one difference is that the people who are usually targeted and victimized
而区别在于,在其他领域中,这种刑事过度制裁的目标人群和受害者

by these kinds of criminal and carceral responses are typically poor and minority.
通常是穷♥人♥和少数族裔。
Swartz’s isolation from friends and family increased.
斯沃茨与朋友和家人的联络越来越少
He had basically stopped working on anything else,
他基本上停止了其他的工作
and the case was, in fact, taking over sort of his whole life.
而且事实上,这个案件几乎占据了他的全部生活
One of Aaron’s lawyers apparently told the prosecutors that he was emotionally vulnerable,
亚伦的律师之一明确告诉检察官:他感情很脆弱
and that that was something they really needed to keep in mind so that they knew that.
他们需要注意到这件事。他们清楚这点
t was weighing on him very heavily.
这给他很大的压力
He did not like having his actions and his movements restricted in any way,
他不喜欢自己的行动以任何方式被限制
and the threat of jail, which they pounded him with a lot,
而且对他打击很大的入狱威胁,
was terrifying to him.
令他很恐惧
Completely exhausted his financial resources,
亚伦完全失去了经济来源
and it cost us a lot of money also, and he raised a substantial amount of money,
我们花了许多钱,他又筹集了大量的资金
so it was, you know, it was in the millions of dollars.
如此一来,你知道,总共花了好几百万美元
[Interviewer] The legal defence?
– Yes.
【采访者】法律辩护吗?
——对
-Was in millions?
– Yes.
——好几百万?
——对
I think he didn’t want to be a burden to people.
我认为他不想成为别人的负担
I think that was a factor like, “I have my normal life,
我认为这像是“我有我正常的生活,
and then I have this shitty thing I have to deal with,
我也有一些麻烦事要去处理
and I try to keep the two of them as separate as possible,
我尽量让这二者井水不犯河水
but they were just beginning to blur together and everything was becoming shitty.”
但是它们开始搅在了一起,所有一切都变糟了
Swartz faced a tough choice that was only getting tougher:
斯沃茨面临着一个日益艰难的决择
Do you admit guilt and move on with your life,
你要承认有罪,继续生活
or do you fight a broken system?
还是对抗破裂的体制?
With his legal case, the answer was simple:
从案件可以看出,他的答案很简单:
He rejects a final plea deal and a trial date is set.
他拒绝了最后一次认罪协议,审判日期确定
Aaron was resolute that he didn’t want to knuckle under and accept something
亚伦十分坚决,他不愿屈服或者接受任何
that he didn’t believe was fair, but I also think he was scared.
他觉得不公平的事,但我觉得他很害怕
I don’t think they would have convicted Aaron.
我觉得他们不会给亚伦定罪
I think we would have walked him out of that courthouse, and I would have given him a big hug,
我以为我们会陪他走出法庭,会给他一个大大的拥抱
and we would have walked across that little river in Boston, and gone and had a couple of beers.
我们会在波士顿的小河边散步,然后离开,再去喝几瓶啤酒
I really thought that we were right. I thought that we were going to win the case.
我真的以为我们是对的,我以为我们会赢得这场官司
I thought that we could win the case.
我以为我们可以赢的。
He didn’t talk about it very much, but you could see
他不想过多的谈论这件事,但你能看出
the enormous pain that he was going through.
他承受着多大的痛苦
[song]
No time in his childhood did Aaron have any severe mood swings
童年的亚伦很少有严重的情绪波动
or depressive episodes or anything that I would describe as “severe depression”
或者抑郁发作或者什么可以称作“严重抑郁”的事
and it’s possible, you know, he was depressed. People get depressed.
你知道,他有可能抑郁。人们都会抑郁
[music]
Very early in our relationship, three or four weeks in or something,
在我们刚恋爱的时候,可能是三四周的时候
I remember him saying to me
我记得他对我说
that I was a lot stronger than he was.
我比他坚强许多
You know, he was brittle in a lot of ways.
你知道,他在很多方面都很脆弱
Things were a lot harder for him than for a lot of people.
与大多数人相比,同样的一件事,对他来说更难承受得多
That was part of his brilliance, too.
但这也是他的光芒所在
I think he probably had something like clinical depression in his early twenties.
我认为他可能在二十出头的时候得了抑郁症之类
I don’t think he did when I was with him.
我得我们在一起时他没有抑郁症
He wasn’t a “joyful” person, but that’s different from being depressed.
他不是一个很欢乐的人,但这不是抑郁
He was just under such enormous pressure for two years straight.
他就是这两年压力太大了
He just didn’t want to do it anymore.
他不想再继续了
He was just–I just think it was too much.
他只是——我觉得他要承受的太多了
[song]
I got a phone call late at night.
深夜里我接到了一个电♥话♥
I could tell something was wrong, and then I called, and I realized what had happened.
我觉得不太对劲,回了电♥话♥,然后意识到发生了什么
A co-founder of the social news and entertainment website “Reddit” has been found dead.
社会新闻和娱乐网站红迪网的联合创始人被发现身亡
Police say twenty-six-year-old Aaron Swartz
警方宣布26岁的亚伦•斯沃茨
killed himself yesterday in his Brooklyn apartment.
昨日在他布鲁克林的公♥寓♥自杀
I just thought, we’ve lost one of the most creative minds of our generation.
我觉得,我们失去了这一代最有创造力的头脑之一
I was like, the whole world fell apart at that moment.
我觉得在那一瞬间整个世界都崩塌了
It was one of the hardest nights of my life.
这是我生命里最难捱的一夜
I just kept screaming, “I can’t hear you! What did you say? I can’t hear you!”
我不停地喊着“我听不到!你说了什么?我听不到!”
I can’t. That’s it.
我听不到。就是这样
[Interviewer] Okay.
Yeah, none of it made any sense,
这些没有任何意义
and really still doesn’t.
直到现在也没有
I was so frustrated, angry.
我非常的沮丧和生气
[exhales]
You know, I tried to explain it to my kids.
我试着去解释给我的孩子听
My three-year-old told me that the doctors would fix him.
我三岁的孩子告诉我医生会治好他
I’ve known lots of people that have died, but I’ve never lost anybody like this,
有很多我认识的人已经去世了,但是我从来没有像这样失去一个人
because everybody feels, and I do too, there is so much we could have–more to do like…
因为,包括我在内,每个人都感觉到,有太多的事情我们可以、太多的可以去做
I just didn’t know he was there. I didn’t know this was what he was suffering and…
我只是不知道他在那,不知道是他承受着什么
He was part of me.
他是我的一部分
And I just wanted it to not be real, and then…
我只希望这不是真的
and then I just looked at his Wikipedia page and I saw the end date:
然后,我在维基上看到他,我看了下最后的日期
02-02-2013
02-02-2013
Aaron is died. Wanderers in this crazy world, we have lost a mentor, a wise elder.
Hackers for right, we are one down, we have lost one of our own. Nurturers, carers,

listeners, feeders, parents all, we have lost a child. Let us all weep.
Aaron去世了。在这个疯狂的世界流浪,我们失去了一个良师益友,一个聪明的年轻人。
正义的骇客,我们是一个,是一个失去了一个我们自己的。养育着、照护者、
听众、父母的所有,我们失去了一个孩子。让我们哭泣。
My first thought was: what if nobody even notices?
我第一反应是如果没有人关注会怎样
You know, because it wasn’t clear to me how salient he was.
你知道的,我都不是很清楚他如此突出
I had never seen anything quite like the outpouring I saw.
我从来没见过任何事情像这样流露出来
The Net just lit up.
网上沸腾了
Everyone was trying to explain it in their own way, but I’ve never seen
每个人都在尝试用自己的方式去解释这件事
people grieve on Twitter before.
我以前从来没看到人们在推特上如此伤心过
People were visibly grieving online.
在网上,大家都如此悲伤
He was the internet’s own boy,
他是互联网的孩子
and the old world killed him.
然后整个世界杀了他
We are standing in the middle of a time when great injustice is not touched.
我们正站在一个极度不公平的时代里面
Architects of the financial meltdown have dinner with the president, regularly.
金融危机的建筑师与总统正常进行晚餐
In the middle of that time, the idea that this is what the government had to prosecute,
在这个时代,这样的想法是政♥府♥要起诉的
It just seems absurd, if it weren’t tragic.
如果这不是悲剧,但看起来很荒诞
The question is: Can we do something, given what’s happened,
问题在于:对于已发生的事我们能做些什么
to make the world a better place,
让世界变得更美好
and how can we further that legacy?
还有,我们怎么利用好他的馈赠?
That’s the only question one could ask.
这是我们唯一能问的问题
All over the world there are starting to be hack-a-thons, gatherings,
全世界开始进行编程马拉松,聚集在一起
Aaron Swartz has, in some sense, brought the best out of us, in trying to say:
亚伦在某种意义上,给我们留下了最好的,正试着去说:

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!