你觉得他们有资格进布莱奇丽
And you think they’re qualified for Bletchley
就因为他们擅长填字游戏么
’cause they’re good at crossword puzzles?
他们说他们很擅长 现在我们可以检验一下了
Well, they say they’re good, and now we shall find out,
不是么
won’t we?
为了大家方便
In order to aid your efforts,
右手边有一个绿色小绿本
there is, to the right of you, a green scratch card book.
你可以用它做笔记
You are to make notes in that.
先生们 你们有六分钟的时间
Gentlemen, you have six minutes
来完成填字游戏 时间一到
in which to complete the puzzle, at which point,
我就
I will…
不好意思 女士 您不能进来
Pardon, ma’am, this room’s restricted.
哦 抱歉我来晚了
Oh, apologies for my tardiness.
公交车有一个胎漏了
The-the bus caught a flat tire.
呃 我可以继续了么
Uh, may I continue, please?
-谢谢 -您不能进来 女士
-Thank you. -You’re not allowed in here, ma’am.
哦 但是我只迟到了几分钟啊
Oh, but I’m only a few minutes late.
秘书是在楼上
The secretaries are to head upstairs.
这里是测试人员的
This room’s for the candidates.
我可以继续说了么
May I get on with this now, please?
我就是来参加测试的啊
I-I am a candidate.
-什么职位
-For what position?
信上没细说啊
The letter didn’t say precisely.
是的 面秘书的是在楼上
Yeah, so secretaries are to head upstairs.
的确写了是绝对机密
It did say that it was top secret.
怎么了
What is going on?
我 我解出了
I-I solved
报纸上的填字游戏
a-a crossword puzzle in the newspaper,
然后收到了一封信写着
and I-I got this letter saying
我是某个神秘工作的候选人员
that I was a candidate for some sort of mysterious job.
我的名字是琼·克拉克
My name’s Joan Clarke.
女士 是你自己解出的谜字么
Miss, did you really solve this puzzle yourself?
你凭什么认为我自己不可以解决的呢
What makes you think I couldn’t solve the puzzle myself?
-我 我真的很擅长 -女士
-I-I’m really very good at… -Ma’am,
-我必须请你… -克拉克女士
-I’ll have to ask you to… -Miss Clarke,
我认为任何情况下的迟到
I-I find tardiness
都是不应该的
under any circumstance, um, unacceptable.
找地方坐下 我们继续
Take a seat so that we may continue.
谢谢
Thank you.
好吧 呃
Now, um,
我刚刚说的 你 你们有六分钟的时间
as I was saying, you-you have six minutes
完成面前的任务
to, uh, complete the task in front of you.
呃 先生们 还有那位女士
Uh, gentlemen and lady,
现在开始
begin.
六分钟的时间
Six minutes.
这可能么
Is that even possible?
不可能 我花了八分钟
No, it takes me eight.
这不仅仅是个填字游戏这么简单
This isn’t about crossword puzzles.
还包括 一个人
It’s about how one, uh,
怎样去解决一个不可能的问题
approaches solving an impossible problem.
你是用整体法解决呢 还是分成一个个
Do you tackle the whole thing at once or divide it
小的..
into small…
你完成了么
You’ve finished?
是的
Yes.
五分钟三十四秒
Five minutes and 34 seconds.
你说了六分钟之内完成
You said to do it in under six.
恭喜你们
Congratulations.
大英政♥府♥欢迎你们的加入
My warmest welcome to His Majesty’s service.
我要告诉你们的事情 你们说出去一个字
If you speak a word of what I’m about to show you,
就会因叛国罪处以死刑
you will be executed for high treason.
关于你们的工作 你们要对你们的朋友
You will lie to your friends,
对你们的家人
your family and everyone you meet
以及遇到的每个人说谎
about what it is you really do.
那我们的工作到底是什么呢
And what is it that we’re really doing?
我们要破解不能破解的纳粹编码
We’re going to break an unbreakable Nazi code
以获得战争的胜利
and win the war.
哦
Oh.
你在看什么
What’s that you’re reading?
这是本关于密♥码♥学的书
It’s about cryptography.
像是秘密消息么
Like secret messages?
不是秘密
Not secret.
这就是令人叫绝的地方
That’s the brilliant part.
所有人都可以看见的信息 但是没有秘钥
Messages that anyone can see, but no one knows what they mean
就没有人会看懂
unless you have the key.
这和说话有什么不同
How’s that different from talking?
-说话 -当人们相互交谈的时候
-Talking? -When people talk to each other,
他们总是表里不一
they never say what they mean.
他们总是另有寓意
They say something else,
而你却要猜测他们的真正用意
and you’re expected to just know what they mean.
但是我永远猜不出来
Only I never do.
所以说 有什么不一样么
So, how’s that different?
艾伦 我有一种奇妙的感觉
Alan, I have a funny feeling
你肯定会擅长这个
you’re going to be very good at this.
晚安 艾伦
Good night, Alan.
晚安
Good night.
等一下 马里恩 我来了
Hold on, Marion, I’m coming!
绕过这些小零件 然后穿回来
Coming round the lesser settings and then route back through…
-穿到这里
-Back to those ones…
小心点 好么
Uh, careful, will you?
呃 这不是玩具
Um, it-it’s not a toy.
搞笑
Funny.
看起来是个玩具
Looks like a toy.
十万磅的玩具呢
Bloody great 100,000-pound one.
你的新手到了
Your new minion’s arrived.
杰克·古德 我们见过
Jack Good. We met…
好的 克拉克女士在哪儿
Well, where’s Miss Clarke?
很讨喜 是吧
Lovely, isn’t he?
这不仅是个普通又无聊的工厂
It’s not just a-a usual humdrum production mill factory.
我是说 我 像我说的
I mean, well, as-as I was saying,
这是一个很重要的 嗯 无线电厂
it’s a very important, uh, radio factory.
它 它其实不是 呃 嗯
I-It’s not, actually. Uh, well, um,
在无线电厂…呃…的领域
on the spectrum of, uh… radio factories,
这一家…呃…是专门
this-this one is-is particularly…
你为什么没去布莱奇利
Why are you not at Bletchley?
非常感谢您的来访 图灵先生
Thank you… so much for your visit, Mr. Turing.
-您的旅途还愉快么 -收拾东西跟我走
-Was your trip pleasant? -Gather your things and let’s go.
我很抱歉 我不能接受您的请求
I’m sorry, but I’m unable to accept your offer.
我们觉得这个职位
We feel that such a position
不是很合适
would hardly be appropriate.
你的数学得了双优
You earned a double first in mathematics.
但是很不幸没机会继续研究
But sadly wasn’t granted the opportunity to become a Fellow.
你属于布莱奇利
You belong at Bletchley.
抱歉 但是像我这个位置的人
I’m sorry, but for someone in my position
要到无线电公♥司♥
to live… to…
离家那么远的地方去工作
to work in a radio factory so far from home,
和那么多男人一起工作
with all your men, um…
会有点
it-it would be…
不得体
indecorous.
这到底是哪儿跟哪儿啊
What in the world does that even mean?
我们有一些 嗯 年轻的女士
We have a group of, uh, young ladies
处理所有的
who tend to all of our
文书工作 助手啊 翻译啊
clerical tasks: assistants, translators.
呃 她们 嗯 一起住在镇里
Uh, they live, um, together in town.
这 这这个环境会不会更合适一点
W-W-Would that be a more, uh, suitable environment?
嗯 那 那我会和这些姑娘们一起工作了
Hm. So-so I would be working amongst these women?
是的
Yes.
很棒的女士们 呃 她们还组织社交活动
Wonderful ladies. Uh, they even organize social events
就在圣马丁大教堂附近
at St. Martin’s Church down the road.
嗯 真的 事情真的都很..呃
Uh, really, the whole thing is-is quite, uh…
嗯
uh, um…
很得体
decorous.