When will you?
打算带她回家吃饭吗?
You plan on bringing her home for dinner?
我跟她说我父母死了
I told her my parents are dead.
死了?
Dead?
你没有哥哥?没有妹妹?
You have no brother? You have no sister?
没有艾妮丝坦?没有沃尔特?
There’s no Ernestine? There’s no Walter?
我不想做黑人 古典文学教授科尔曼·希尔克
I don’t want to be Coleman Silk, the Negro Classics professor.
他们一定会这样叫我
And that’s how it would always come out, Mom.
你知道 我也知道
You know it, and I know it.
奇怪 我从来没看你是黑还是白
Funny, I never thought of you as black or white.
而是金 你是我的金童子
Gold. You were my golden child.
听着 妈
Look, Mom…
我还没有
I haven’t…
还没有把事情想清想透
I haven’t figured the whole thing out yet.
你会生孩子吗?
Will you have children?
大概会吧
Yes, I suppose so.
你不会让我见他们吧?
You aren’t going to let them see me, are you?
我的孙儿
My grandchildren.
你会说:妈
Mom, you’ll tell me
你十一点三在宾州车站的 候车室等
sit in the waiting room in Penn Station at 11:15 a.m.
我会带孩子 穿上漂亮的衣服经过
I’ll walk by with my kids in their Sunday best.
这将是我五年后的生日礼物
That’ll be my birthday present five years from now.
而你知道我一定会出现
And you know I’ll be there.
但生孩子
But aren’t you…
不太冒险吗?
taking a risk having children?
太教人胆战心惊了吧
The suspense will be unbearable.
他们出娘胎 不是跟你一样白怎办?
Suppose they don’t pop out of her womb as white as you?
岂不要费一番唇舌解释?
Won’t you have some explaining to do?
你会指责她跟黑人通奸吗?
Will you accuse her of adultery with a Negro?
妈 我得走了
I have to go now, Mom.
科尔曼?
Coleman…
你的思想像囚犯
you think like a prisoner.
你的肤色像雪般白 思想却像奴隶
You’re white as snow and you think like a slave.
杀人犯
Murderer.
是门门铃吗?
Is that the doorbell?
我去开门门
I’ll get it.
你以后别再来找妈
Don’t you ever come near Mom again.
别打电♥话♥ 别写信 哈都别做
You don’t call, you don’t write, you don’t nothing.
我不要再见到你那张苍白的脸
I never want to see your lily-white face again.
而你妈妈听从了沃尔特
And your mother obeyed Walter.
我家的男人
All the Silk men…
从我爸开始 都很决绝
from my father on down, are very decisive.
对 她听从了沃尔特 但我没有
Yes, she did it. But I didn’t.
两天前我试过找他 他生日那天
I was trying to reach him two days ago. It was his birthday.
也是他出事第二天
The day after he was killed.
我不怪沃尔特 他只是想保护妈
I don’t blame Walter. He was only trying to protect Mother.
他成功吗?
And was he successful?
她死前神智不清
Just before she died, she was delirious.
她不停说
She kept saying…
哦 护士
Oh, nurse…
送我上火车 我家一个孩子有病
get me to the train. I’ve got a sick baby at home.
沃尔特仍在世吗?
Is Walter still alive?
当然
Yes.
我们是教师之家
We are all a family of teachers.
祖内森先生 我希望我的父母能知道
Mr. Zuckerman, I wish my parents could have known that…
沃尔特是新泽西州第一个 有色人种的学校教员
Walter was the first colored superintendent of a school in the state of New Jersey.
你应能猜出我是什么年代的人 我还在说“有色人种”和“黑人”
I guess you can tell what generation I am. I still say “colored” and “Negro”.
你知道你哥哥辞职的原因吗?
Did you know why your brother resigned from the college?
听说他被指是种族主义者
I gather he was accused of racism.
太荒谬了 不是吗?
That beats it all, doesn’t it?
都因为“游魂”这个字
For using the word “spooks.”
我看今天这个世界 真是黑白颠倒无奇不有
Sounds like from what I heard today, almost anything goes nowadays.
人越来越笨 却越来越自以为是
People are just getting dumber but more opinionated.
你知道最悲衰的是什么?
You know what’s sad, Mr. Zuckerman?
今时今日 很难想像
Nowadays, it’s hard to imagine
有人会重蹈科尔曼当年的覆辙
that anyone would do what Coleman felt he had to do.
把一生建立于谎言之上
Constructing his whole life around a lie.
科尔曼可以即时制止 种族主义的指控
Coleman could have stopped that racism charge in its tracks,
只要他说出真♥相♥
if he’d only told the truth.
但他做不到
But that’s the one thing he couldn’t do.
你看他有没有跟谁讲过?
Do you think he ever told anyone?
可能
Maybe.
可能有
Maybe someone.
在与艾妮丝坦谈话期间 我决定要写这本书
It was during my conversation with Ernestine that I decided to write this book.
不是科尔曼要我写的书 而是他自己写不出的
Not the book that Coleman had asked me to write, but one that he could not write himself.
关于他父亲和母亲 关于沃尔特与艾妮丝坦
The story of his mother and father, of Walter and Ernestine,
关于斯蒂娜·普鲁森 关于芳妮亚的故事
of Steena Paulsson and of Faunia.
最后 我有一件事情必须做:
Finally, there was one thing I needed to do.
去见一个 要对我朋友的死负责的人
To face the person I was certain was responsible for my friend’s death.
我驾车经过看到了你的卡车
I was just driving around and saw your truck.
漂亮的地方
Beautiful spot.
很宁静
Peaceful.
没人发现时确实如此
Long as I can keep it secret.
现在也只有我知道
Only now I know.
你是作家?
You’re the writer, aren’t you?
是的
That I am.
手气好吗?
Any luck?
不大好
Not much.
如果鱼儿不上钩的话 你怎么想?
What do you think about out here when the fish aren’t biting?
我在想如果我有个儿子 他就会出来和我一起钓鱼
I was thinking if I had a son, he’d be out here with me now, fishing.
你到来时我就在想这个
That’s what I was thinking about when you walked out here.
你没儿子?
Don’t you have a son?
没有
No
从未结婚?
Never married?
命中注定 我的婚姻是命中注定的
Doomed. My marriage was doomed.
当我从越南回来时 正处于伤后精神失常中
When back from Vietnam, I had posttraumatic stress disorder.
经常开着卡车几小时到处跑
I used to get in my truck and drive around for hours.
我的朋友担心我会在 车祸中死去
My buddies were afraid that I was gonna die in a car accident.
你出过车祸吗?
Were you ever in a car accident?
有的话就不会在这里了
I would have known if I were.
仍然伤后精神失常中吗?
Still have PTSD?
我还是喜欢离群独处 你以为我在这里干嘛?
I still tend to isolate, don’t I? What do you think I’m doing out here?
没再出过车祸?
No more car accidents?
从未出过车祸 你没听见吗?
Never were any car accidents. Don’t you listen?
你写些什么书?
What kind of books you write?
写像你这种人的书
I write about people like you.
写他们的难题
Their problems.
你住在迈克的家吧? 那湖上的小屋
You live at Mike Dumouchel’s place, right? The cabin on the lake.
说一本你的书的名字
What’s the name of one of your books?
《人性的污点》
The Human Stain.
能给我一本吗?
Can I get it?
尚未完成
It’s not finished.
我妻子离去后我就开始 冰上钓鱼了
You know, I started ice fishing after my wife left me.
只需要有够温暖的衣服 和好的设备就行
All you need is warm clothes and the right equipment.
像这个螺钻
Like this auger.
用它在冰上钻个洞 这东西无坚不摧
You drill a hole through the ice. This’ll cut through just about anything.
然后把串着鱼饵的鱼杆 抛进去就行
Then you drop your line with your favorite lure right through.
下面即使漆黑 鱼一见光就上钩
Any flash down there, fish are attracted, even in the dark.
而下面永远漆黑一片
And it’s way dark down there.
如果我有个儿子
And if I had a son…
小利斯 我自己的儿子
little Les, a son of my own,
我想我会跟他讲这些东西
I reckon I’d be telling him all this stuff instead of you.
这里很冷
It’s cold out here.
你最好相信我
You better believe it.
我得走了
I should be going.
你了解冰上钓鱼了 能写进书里了
Yeah, well, you know your ice fishing now, don’t you? You can put it in your book.
我会的
I will.
你也知道我的秘密之所了
And you know my secret place.
朱克曼先生 你什么都知道了
You know everything now, don’t you, Mr. Zuckerman?
但你不会说出去吧?
But you won’t tell, will you?
喂 你!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!