男人付钱不是要你跟他们睡觉 而是叫你回家
Men don’t pay you to sleep with them. They pay you to fucking go home.
喂 王子
Hey, Prince.
你好吗?
Hey, how you doing?
在这里好吗?王子
How you doing there, my Prince?
过来
Come here.
宝贝 我是芳妮亚
Honey, it’s Faunia.
你好吗?
How you doing?
你没忘了我吧? 我早想来看你 但走不开
Did you forget me? I wanted to come and see you, but I couldn’t.
我有三 四个月没见到你
I haven’t seen you in… it must be three, four, months.
王子想念你
Prince missed you.
前几天它出去 我想是去找你
He got out the other day. I thought he was gonna go looking for you.
它被其它鸟攻击 差点被杀死
The other birds attacked him. They would’ve killed him.
它的叫声不对
He doesn’t have the right voice.
它是被人养大的嘛
It’s because he’s hand-raised.
它一辈子 都跟我们这样的人一起
He’s been hanging around people like us all his life.
一只不懂做大乌鸦的大乌鸦
A crow that doesn’t know how to be a crow.
第一次
The first time I tried,
是他们死后一个月
it was a month after they died.
我穿的漂漂亮亮的 我妈妈见到也会骄傲
I got all dressed up. Even my mother would have been proud.
你知道我给她打了电♥话♥吗?
You know I called her?
是呀
I did.
我告诉她我的孩子死了
Called her to tell her my kids were dead.
“妈 是芳妮亚”
Mom, it’s Faunia.
二十年了 没通电♥话♥二十年了
Twenty years. No call for twenty years.
她说
She said
“我不认识什么芳妮亚” 便挂线了
“Oh, I don’t know anybody by that name” and hung up.
贱♥人♥
Bitch.
我记的那绷带 那安定药
I remember the Gin, the Valium.
还有那些鼠毒 很苦
And then that rat poison was bitter.
我把它混进奶油布丁里吃
So I fold it into the pudding.
味道不错
Felt good.
他们破门干嘛?
Why did they have to break the door down?
我说别那样
I mean. Come on.
护士之后也说
Even…even the nurse said-she said later,
当他们进来时 她早已没心跳了?
There wasn’t a heartbeat. Not when they first showed up.
不可能有救
Couldn’t even get that right, could I?
你和我
You and I…
是为对方而生的
were made for each other.
嫁给我吧
Marry me.
我想我今天早上做错了
I think I made a mistake this morning.
费芳妮亚 清洁工人 记的吗?
Faunia Farley, custodial staff, you know?
我只是 发挥我所长
Just, uh… just doing my thing.
你哪去了?
So where were you?
我开始担心了
I was starting to get worried.
四处溜看了场电影
I walked around. Went to a movie.
听着
Listen, I’m…
对不起
I’m sorry.
我说过的 我做过的 我
Everything that I said, and everything that I did, I…
你没错
You were right.
我那些事不值一提
What happened to me is nothing.
不 你失去了一切 你失去了妻子 工作
No. You lost everything. You lost your wife, you lost your job.
他们因一个鬼字毁了你的一生 非同小可
They took your life away from you over a stupid, pissy little word. That’s not nothing.
也许吧
Maybe.
但衰伤是不能量度的
I don’t think you can measure sorrow.
给你买♥♥的 是油炸圈饼
I brought you these. They’re doughnuts.
从油炸圈饼店买♥♥的 果酱馅
They’re from the… from the doughnut store. Jelly.
听着 如果你不要我
Listen, if you don’t want me…
如果你要我走 我明白的 因为…
If you want me to go, you know, then I understand that because…
我明白 也不会怪你
I understand and I won’t blame you.
你笑什么?
What are you smiling at?
就是开心见到你
Just so happy to see you.
我也是
Same here.
我也开心
I’m happy, too.
我有事情要跟你讲
Listen, there’s something I need to tell you.
在我来看
It seemed impossible to me
像科尔曼那么有生命力的人 不可能命丧于一宗警方所谓的
that someone as vital as Coleman could have been killed in what the police called,
“不寻常意外”
a freak accident.
我越想越觉的
The more I thought I about it, the more I began to feel that Coleman and Faunia
科尔曼和芳妮亚的死
could not have died without the presence, somewhere nearby,
肯定跟利斯和他的货车有关
of Lester Farley and his pickup truck.
那天早上你什么时候上货车?
At what point did you get in your truck that morning?
日出前
Before sunup.
上货车干嘛?
Why did you get in your truck?
找他算帐
To get him.
找谁算帐?
To get who?
那犹太佬教授
The Jew professor.
干嘛要找他算帐?
Why were you going to get him?
因为有需要
Because I had to.
你想去杀他?
You were going to kill him?
计划是三个都死
Oh, yes. All of us. That was the plan.
那是有计划了
There was planning, then.
不 没计划的
There was no planning.
但你知道自己在做什么
– Uh, but you knew what you were doing. – Yes.
却没有计划的?
But you didn’t plan it?
没有
No.
是觉的回到了越南?
Did you think you were back in Vietnam?
不是越南
No Vietnam.
是想孩子吗?是报仇吗?
Were you thinking about the kids? Was this payback?
不是报仇
No payback.
你不是为那件事报仇吗?
Weren’t you trying to get revenge to take revenge for that?
不是报仇
No. No revenge.
是情绪低落吗?
Were you depressed?
不是情绪低落
No. No depression.
愤怒呢?
Angry?
再没愤怒了
No more anger.
但你开货车撞他们的车子
But you drove your truck into their car.
我没杀他们
I didn’t kill them.
我没杀他们
I didn’t kill them.
他们自杀
They killed themselves.
你怎么看?
What do you think?
我问过警方
I checked with the police and
他们说没滑车胎的痕 也没撞车的痕迹
there are no skid marks at the site of the accident, no sign of a collision.
我想法利斯是情神错乱
I think Lester Farley is delusional.
完全精神错乱
Completely delusional.
我叫基布尔·赫伯
My name is Herbert Keble.
当科尔曼被指是种族主义者时
And I am among those who…
我是其中一个
failed to rise to Coleman’s defense
没挺身为他辨护的人
when he was accused of racism.
“科尔曼 这事上我没法跟你一致”
Coleman, I can’t be with you on this.
那一句话令我终生惭愧
That is what I said to my everlasting shame.
我应该站出来
I should have spoken up…
在他当日的同僚面前
to say then what I want to say now
说出我今日要说的话
in the presence of his former colleagues
指出有关他行为失当的指控 是完全不成立的
that the alleged misconduct never took place.
科尔曼·希尔克和他的太太艾瑞斯
Coleman Silk and his wife, Iris,
被一个苛刻高压的社群
were betrayed by the moral stupidity
和他们愚昧的道德观出♥卖♥♥♥了
of a censorious and coercive community.
而我是那社群人的一份子
And I was a part of that community.
我们每一个人都是
We all were.
纪太太
Mrs. Keble.
我叫祖内森 是科尔曼的朋友
My name is Nathan Zuckerman. I was a friend of Coleman’s.
你丈夫的演说
I thought your husband’s speech was…
我不是纪太太
I’m not Mrs. Keble.
“科尔曼·希尔克 1944年逝世于东橙市”
你是?
Are you?
我是科尔曼·希尔克的妹妹
I’m Coleman Silk’s sister.
艾瑞斯 多好听的名字
Iris. Nice name.
大喜日子是?
And when is the happy day?
六月十四
June 14th.
你告诉了她没有?
Have you told her?
何时告诉她?