以及与公众行为负责
for all my actions both public and private.
所以今晚在此向你们表白
And that is why I am speaking to you tonight.
众所周知 一月我接受聆讯时
– As you know, in a deposition in January – Hello?
被问及我 和莱温斯基小姐的关系
I was asked questions about my relationship
– 是朱克曼先生吗? – 是的
– Are you Mr. Zuckerman? – Yeah.
– 是祖内森吗? – 是
– Are you Nathan Zuckerman? – Yeah.
你是作家祖内森 对吗?
You’re the Zuckerman that’s the writer, correct?
– 对 但 – 我们要谈谈 我可以进来吗?
– Yeah, but – We’ve got to talk. May I come in?
你上一本书赢了个什么奖的 对吗?
Thanks. Your last book won some sort of prize, right?
– 是入了最后候选名单 – 五年前了 发生了什么事?
– It was short-listed for the – That was 5 years ago. What happened?
你没创作思路了 对吧?
You’re blocked, right? You’re blocked!
你担心自己江郎才尽了
You’re worried you don’t have another story in you.
我有解药 你的祷告 我听到了
Well, I can fix that. I’m the answer to your prayers.
– 你知我是谁? – 希尔克院长?
– You know who I am? – Dean Silk?
对 科尔曼·希尔克院长
Dean Coleman Silk. That’s right.
前任 退了休 死了心 无人衰悼
The late, retired and now resigned and unlamented Dean Silk,
就在我老婆 你听到吗?
following the murder you clock that?
就在我老婆被谋杀之后
Following the murder of my wife.
感觉怎样? 朱克曼
How’s that grab you, Zuckerman?
足以刺♥激♥你脑神经吧?
That good enough to get your juices flowing?
恐怕我没听明白
I’m not sure I understand.
内森 那些狗♥娘♥养♥的杀了我老婆
Those sons of bitches killed my wife, Nathan.
向她的心脏开枪
They killed my wife as if they’d taken a gun and fired it into her heart.
艾瑞斯一向那么强壮勇敢
Yeah. Who would’ve thought Iris couldn’t take it
谁料到她竟承受不了?但
as strong as she was, brave as she was? But, uh
纵有超凡力量 也难挡他们的愚昧
yeah, their kind of stupidity was too much even for a juggernaut like my Iris.
大栓塞
Massive embolism.
砰! 我送她去医院 但已太迟了
Pow! I got her to the hospital, but it was too late.
他们想杀我 却杀死了她
The point is they meant to kill me but they got her instead.
还以“政♥治♥正确”之名
All in the name of political correctness.
“政♥治♥正确” 好一个逆喻
There’s an oxymoron if ever I heard one.
你的书有着落了 内森
So, there’s your book, Nathan.
可以叫你内森吗?
You mind if I call you Nathan?
– 听着 院长 – 叫我科尔曼就行了
– Look, Dean… – Just Coleman.
所有头衔我都放弃了
All my other titles I have given away.
科尔曼 我很抱歉 我写小说 而那时候我
Coleman. Look, I’m sorry but I write fiction, and at the moment I’m…
这故事比的上《谍网迷魂》
Believe me this thing will read like The Manchurian Candidate.
他们杀错了人 天啊
They murdered the wrong person, for Christ’s sakes!
就因为一个字 “游魂”
For one word! Spooks!
游魂 简直不可思议
Spooks! It’s unbelievable.
内森 让我告诉你
Let me tell you something, Nathan.
我爸爸在新泽西开酒馆
My father was a saloonkeeper in New Jersey.
是东橙市唯一的犹太酒馆老板
Yeah, he was the only Jewish saloonkeeper in East Orange.
他只读到七年级
He only got as far as the seventh grade.
但对话言文字一丝不苟
But he insisted on the precision of words.
而我一直以他为榜样
And I have kept faith with him. I have kept faith with him.
如果你不介意的话
If you don’t mind a suggestion
我觉得这本书该由你自己去写
maybe you ought to write this book yourself.
也许吧
Yeah.
也许我应该去写
Maybe I ought to.

Yeah.
我该走了 容我问一句
I guess I ought to go. Let me ask you something
你为何躲在深山里?
Why are you hiding out here, in the middle of the woods?
– 躲? – 对 不然你怎么做?
– Hiding out? – Yeah. Isn’t that what you’re doing?
在希腊悲剧里 当主角发觉他
What’s the moment called in Greek tragedy,
认识的一切全是错的 那一刻叫 ?
you know, the one where the hero learns that everything he knows is wrong?
叫“命运突变”
It’s called peripeteio or peripetia. Take your choice.
那就是我
Yeah. That’s me.
你玩金罗美纸牌游戏吗?
Hey. You by any chance play gin rummy?
我跟科尔曼·希尔克的友谊 就这样开始了
And this was how my friendship with Coleman Silk began.
也结束了我在湖边小屋的
And how I came out from my reclusive life,
独自隐居生活
living alone in a cabin by a lake.
你离了婚 是吗?
You’re divorced, huh?
看的出来吗?
Does it show?
看你老是神不守舍的
Yeah, you have the look about you of a man at loose ends.
都是过来人嘛
Takes one to know one.
你老婆为何离开你?
Why did your wife leave you?
哪一个?
Which one?
第一任还是第二任?
The first or the second?
几年前
Several years ago,
我患了前列腺癌
I had been diagnosed with prostate cancer
疗程虽然成功
Although the treatment was successful,
但我还是归隐到林里的小屋
I had nevertheless withdrawn to my cabin in the woods,
远离现代生活的希冀与烦嚣
away from the expectations and entanglements of modern life.
在我认识科尔曼后的一年里
In the year that followed my meeting Coleman,
也就是他用来写那本书的时间
the time it took him to write his book,
我们每星期有几天共进晚饭
we had dinner together several times a week.
有时玩一便士的金罗美纸牌游戏
Sometimes playing penny a point gin rummy,
有时听春田镇FM电台播的音乐
sometimes listening to music that came from a small FM station in Springfield
他们专门门播放 四五十年代的流行曲
that played big band hits from the forties and fifties.
就在那段时间 科尔曼迫使我重拾生命
It was during that time
一如他迫使雅典娜学院
that Coleman dragged me back to life, much as he had Athena College.
– 你的书怎么了? – 来了又跑了
– What’s with the book? – The book has come and gone.
– 意思是? – 即是说它没价值
– Meaning? – Meaning it’s worthless.
是啊
Yeah
学究不死 大学不好
You can’t make a college without breaking eggheads,
我没法写一本叫《游魂》的书
and, I couldn’t write a book called Spooks
而且让人觉的像疯子 在无理取闹
that didn’t sound like the ravings of a lunatic.
于是…全都是没用的了
So… all this is useless.
重读旧情信是过瘾 但太冤气了
Unless you count the dubious thrill of re-reading old love letters.
这女孩是谁?
Who’s the girl?
– 斯蒂娜·普鲁森 – 很漂亮
– That’s Steena Paulsson. – Very pretty.
– 是啊 – 这是你?
– Yeah. – This you?
对 正是
Yeah, that’s me.
我念纽约大学时认识她的
I met her when I was at N.Y.U.
48年海军退役后 得退伍军人福利资助
And, it was in 1948 and I was on the GI Bill with the Navy behind me.
那时候我住在格林威治村
At that time I used to live in the Village in those days,
常去图书馆
and I used to go into the library.
像钓鱼般 钻进书丛中泡妞
It was just like fishing. I’d go into the stacks and come out with a girl.
斯蒂娜·普鲁森 我差点娶了她
Steena Paulsson. Yeah, I almost married her.

Hi

Hi
我肯定这本书会改变你一生
This book will change your life, I promise.
我不可以久留
I can’t stay long.
进来吧 我很快便找到它
Come on in. Just take me a minute to find it.
好漂亮的地方
Oh, this is beautiful. I have two roommates
我和两个室友同居在 西26街一间通凤井下的地窖
and we live in this dungeon at the bottom of an air shaft on West 26th Street.
– 要咖啡吗? – 不了 谢谢 我该走了
– Would you like some coffee? – No. Thank you. I should get back.
喝一杯吧 只是一杯
It’s just one cup. That’s all, I promise.
图书馆十点才关门
And the, uh, the library stays open until ten
– 那好吧 为什么不呢? – 很好
– Sure. Why not? – Good.
– 要什么咖啡? – 黑咖啡吧 谢谢
– How do you take it? – Black is fine, thanks.
– 斯蒂娜·普鲁森 – 那是是瑞典人吗?
– So “Steena Paulsson.” That’s, – what is that Swedish?
接近 是丹麦加冰岛
Close. It’s Danish and Icelandic.
– 那你不是纽约人? – 你怎知道?
– So you’re not from New York? – How could you tell?
明尼苏达州费加斯瀑布市
Fergus Falls, Minnesota.
明州费加斯瀑布的 斯蒂娜·普鲁森小姐
Well Miss Steena Paulsson from Fergus Falls, Minnesota
这是我送给你的礼物
this is my gift for you.
菲茨杰拉德的《夜海棠》
Tender is the Night. F. Scott Fitzgerald.
他也是中西部人
He’s from the Midwest, too
谢谢
Thank you.
别客气
You’re welcome.
咖啡呢?
The coffee?
咖啡
Coffee
是什么事?
What happened?
– 干什么? – 眼上盖的伤痕
– To what? – The cut over your eye.
打拳 我的嗜好
Oh uh, boxing. It’s just a hobby.
你喜欢那类玩意?
You like that sort of thing?
对 是的
Yes, I do.
我是说 打拳跟力气无关
I mean, don’t get the wrong idea It’s not about strength

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!