这真的很疯狂
It’s crazy.
-所以 你把它分成了两半 -是的
-Oh, so you carved it up? -Yes.
有一半的我不是当总统的料
Parts of my personality weren’t exactly what you’d call presidential.
你知道我在说什么
You know what I’m talkin’ about.
你的茶好了
Your tea is ready.
我本该告诉你 它只是比较像茶
I suppose I should’ve said it resembles tea.
两个头是女孩们所想要的吗
So, two heads is what does it for a girl?
我的意思是 如果我有2个 或者3个头
I mean, if I’d had two heads, or three…
或者你自己的宇宙飞船
Or your own spaceship.
还有什么东西他拥有两个
Anything else he’s got two of?
不要这样 阿瑟
Come on, Arthur, don’t be like that.
我应该变成什么样 绿色 闪光的
What am I supposed to be like? Green? BIeeping?
如果你喜欢的话 我可以倒翻我的眼睑
I can fold my eyelids inside out if you like.
你看到这个东西了吗
Okay, look. Do you see this?
它可以探知你的渴望 然后把你的渴望变成事实
This detects what you’re craving and makes it for you.
请享用你的蛋糕
Enjoy your doughnut.
看到这个东西了吗
Do you see this?
它可以在切面包的同时 把面包烤好
This toasts bread while you’re slicing it.
我们在一艘宇宙飞船上 阿瑟 我们在宇宙里
We’re on a spaceship, Arthur. In space.
-你告诉我要出去走走 -去马达加斯加岛
-I told you I wanted to get away. -To Madagascar.
这是不是一个测试 我没有通过
That was… some sort of test. And I failed.
-疼吗 -感觉不是很好
-How badly does it hurt? -It doesn’t feel great.
不 我是说你的下巴
No, I mean your chin.
-啊 -我也许有阿斯匹林
-Ah… -I might have an aspirin.
是吗
Right.
特瑞沙 特瑞莲 对不起 我有些事要告诉你
Tricia… Trillian, sorry. There’s something I have to tell you.
-请 不要 -好戏开始了 特瑞
-Please, don’t. -Showtime, Trill.
我要去准备一下 不要乱按按钮
I’m going to set up. Buttons aren’t toys.
不要乱按按钮
Buttons aren’t toys.
当我看到我要给你们看的东西时
Anyway… When I saw what I’m about to show you,
我认识到 我应该把我的大脑分为两部份
that’s when I realized why I had to do what I did to my brain.
这感觉上有些
I think. It’s all a little…
不安
shaky.
我看过了 全都是废话
I’ve seen it. It’s rubbish.
几百万年以前
Many millions of years ago,
一个拥有超级智慧的种族
a race of hyperintelligent, pan-dimensional beings
开始争论关于生命的意义
got so fed up with the constant bickering about the meaning of life,
他们选择了2个最聪明的人
that they commissioned two of their brightest and best
设计和建造了一台超级电脑
to design and build a stupendous super-computer
用来计算关于宇宙 生命和世间万物的终极答案
to calculate the answer to life, the universe and everything.
“深思”
O Deep Thought,
我们想让你告诉我们答案
we want you to tell us the answer.
有关什么的答案
The answer to what?
关于生命 宇宙 世间万物
The answer to life, the universe, everything.
我们想要一个答案 简单一点的答案
We’d really like an answer. Something simple.
我得想一想
Hmm, I’d have to think about that.
在7千5百万年后在回到这里来
Return to this place in exactly seven-and-a-half million years.
-完了吗 -还没有 他们真的回去了
-Is it finished? -No, there’s more. They go back.
-在7千5百万年后 -是的
-Seven-and-a-half million years later? -That’s right, they do.
“深思” 你有
Deep Thought, do you have…
你们要的答案 是的 但是你们不会喜欢
An answer for you? Yes, but you’re not going to like it.
-这不重要 我们必须知道这个答案 -好吧
-It doesn’t matter. We must know it. -All right.
终极问题的答案是
The answer to the ultimate question…
关于生命 宇宙 世间万物
of life, the universe and everything…

is…
四十二
什么
Yeah? What?
四十二
42?
是的 我彻底的想过这个问题 答案是42
Yes, I thought it over quite thoroughly. It’s 42.
如果我知道问题是什么 答案也许会简单些
It would’ve been simpler to have known what the question was.
但是这个问题是终极问题 所有的问题
But it was the question. The ultimate question. Of everything!
这不是一个问题
That’s not a question.
只有你知道问题是什么 你才会明白答案的意思
Only when you know the question will you know what the answer means.
那把终极问题告诉我
Give us the ultimate question then.
我不知道 但是有一个人可以
I can’t. But there is one who can.
一台可以计算出终极问题的电脑
A computer that will calculate the ultimate question.
这台电脑极度复杂
A computer of such infinite complexity,
甚至生命本身 也是它的一部份运算矩阵
that life itself will form part of its operational matrix.
然而你们以全新但原始的方式 进入到这台电脑里
And you yourselves shall take on new, more primitive forms,
去导航这个长达一千万年的程序
and go down into the computer to navigate its 1 0-million-year program.
我会为你们设计这台电脑 它会被称为
I shall design this computer for you, and it shall be called…
-这就完了 -是的
-That’s it? -That’s it.
你在寻找那个终极问题吗
You’re looking for the ultimate question? You? Why?
是的 为什么是四十二 我想不通
I tried that. Why? 42. Doesn’t work.
-我们准备出发了 -为什么
-Let’s get it ready, baby. -Why…
你想知道那个终极问题
do you want to know the ultimate question?
一部份是好奇心 一部份是我想来一次冒险
Partly curiosity, partly a sense of adventure,
但是 实际上我想变得有名和富有
but, uh, mostly I think it’s for the fame and the money.
你是银河系的总统
You’re President of the Galaxy.
-是啊 阿曼 -阿瑟
-Yes, Arman. -Arthur.
当总统只会有一时出名
Whatever. Presidential fame is temporary.
如果我找到那个终极问题 我会流芳百世
I find the question, that’s permanent. It sticks.
而且所有人都会认为你很高深
Plus, everyone thinks you’re deep. Win-win.
只要我一按那个按钮
We just hit that button and bam,
我想我们就回到达马格拉喜亚
we’re at Magrathea, I think.
也许我按2次 我们也不会到达那里
We’ve hit it twice and we’re still not there, but anyway…
-你要参加吗 -那当然
-You in? -Always.
-太好了 -我不想参加
-All right! -I want to get off.
-对不起 我们到底要做什么 -这个
-Uh, sorry, what exactly are we doing? -This!
无穷概率推进是一种全新的方法
The Infinite Improbability Drive is a wonderful new method
可以在几秒内完成星际航行
of crossing interstellar distances in a few seconds,
它不会在多♥维♥空间里转来转去
without all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace.
当概率推进达到无穷概率的时候
As the Improbability Drive reaches infinite improbability,
它能瞬间穿过每个宇宙中 每个可能的点
it passes through every conceivable point in every conceivable universe
几乎是瞬间
almost simultaneously.
换句话说 你永远不会知道最后会到达哪里
So you’re never sure where you’ll end up
甚至你到达的时候是什么模样
or even what species you’ll be when you get there.
所以你要根据不同的情况 来改变你的装束
It’s therefore important to dress accordingly.
这种推进方法的发明得益于对有穷概率的研究
The Drive was invented following research into finite improbability
那个通常用来在聚会里搞气氛
often used to break the ice at parties
让所有女宾的内衣分子
by making all the molecules in the hostess ‘s undergarments
全部向左移♥动♥一尺
leap one foot to the left
这符合不确定性理论
in accordance with the theory of indeterminacy.
许多正经的物理学家不相信这个理论
Many physicists said they wouldn’t stand for that sort of thing,
部分原因是因为它玷污了科学的名声
partly because it debased science,
但是其实主要的原因是 他们没有被邀请参加这种聚会
but mostly because they didn ‘t get invited to those sort of parties.
每次我按这个按钮都会这样吗
Wow, is this gonna happen every time we hit that button?
应该是的
Very probably, yes.
我想地球人要吐了
Ah, I think the Earthman’s about to be sick.
吐到垃圾桶里 猿人 这飞船是新的
In the trashcan, ape-man. This ship’s new.
真恶心
Aw, come on!
我们变回去了
We have normality.
我们到了吗
Did it work? Are we there?
是的 我们到了 马格拉喜亚
Yeah. We’re here. Magrathea!
好象不是
I don’t think so. Eddie…
-嗷 -这是什么星球
-Ow! -What planet is this?
我来查一下
I’m checking for you.
是谁刚才拔了我一根头发
Did you just pluck one of my hairs? Off my head?
久等了 很不幸的告诉你们
Thank you for waiting. Sorry to disappoint,
这个星球不是马格拉喜亚
but this is not Magrathea.
我们现在在维尔多德6星的轨道附近
We are currently in orbit around the planet Viltvodle Six.
哈玛·科洛拉
Humma Kavula!
马格拉喜亚要等一下了
Magrathea’s gonna have to wait.
我有一些事 要在这个星球处理
I got a score to settle on this planet.
哈玛·科洛拉
Humma Kavula!
在宇宙生成初期
In the beginning, the universe was created.
很多人都很生气 认为这是一个很坏的决定
This made a lot of people very angry, and is widely regarded as a bad move.
许多种族认为它是由上帝创造的
Many races believed it was created by some sort of god,
但是维尔沃德6星上的贾特拉沃迪人
though the Jatravartid people of Viltvodle Six
认为宇宙是某种生物打喷嚏时从鼻子里喷出来的
firmly believe that the entire universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being
这种生物叫做大绿虫

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!