How she pays you, or has
她有没有在梅·莫布里面前对你大喊大叫
she ever yelled at you in front of Mae Mobley?
我想我可以把我的故事写下来
I thought I might write my stories down
然后读给你听
and read them to you.
这跟我写祷文没什么区别
Ain’t no different than writing down my prayers.
好吧
Ok.
当然
Sure.
我不大声读祷文
I don’t say my prayers out loud.
我写东西表达得更清楚
I can get my point across a lot better writing them down.
每晚我都写一个小时 有时候两小时
I write an hour, sometimes two, every night.
昨晚我写完祷文之后
And after my prayers last night,
我写了一些故事
I got some stories down, too.
念吧
Go ahead.
我照看的第一个白人小孩
My first white baby to ever look after
叫做奥尔顿·凯灵顿·斯皮尔斯
was named Alton Carrington Speers.
那是在1925年 我刚满十四岁
It was 1925, and I had just turned 14.
我辍学去工作 帮妈妈还债
I dropped out of school to help mama with the bills.
奥尔顿的妈妈死于肺病
Alton’s mama died of lung disease.
我爱那个孩子 他也爱我
I loved that baby. And he loved me.
从那时起 我知道
That’s when I learned
我可以鼓励孩子们为自己骄傲
I could make children feel proud of theyself.
奥尔顿以前总问我 为什么我这么黑
Alton used to always be asking me how come I was black.
他脑袋都想破了
Just ate him up.
有一次 我跟他说我咖啡喝多了
And one time, I told him it was because I drank too much coffee.
你真应该看看他的表情
You should have seen his face.
真是太可爱了
This was just so great.
你愿意和我一起努力
I can’t tell you
我说不出有多感激
how much I appreciate your doing this with me.
是什么让你改变主意的
What changed your mind?
上帝
God.
还有希莉·霍布鲁克小姐
And Miss Hilly Holbrook.
希莉小姐 我想问你和威廉先生一件事
Miss Hilly, I would like to ask you and Mr. William something.
我的双胞胎儿子高中毕业了
My twin boys graduated from high school,
他们都上了光荣榜
both on the honor roll.
我和我丈夫 我们一直
Me and my husband, we been
陶格鲁学院是美国一所著名的私立文科类高等院校
存钱想送他们去陶格鲁学院
saving for years to send them to Tougaloo.
其中有一个的学费我们还差七十五美元
We’re short about $75 on one of the tuitions.
我要迟到了 我得走了
Whoo! I am late. I gotta get going.
晚上见 宝贝儿
See you tonight, honey.
好吧
Ok.
继续说
Go on.
那个 要是钱不够
Well, now we’re… faced with having to choose
我们就面临送哪个孩子去上学的抉择
which son can go if we don’t come up with the money.
您能不能借点钱给我们
Would you consider giving us a loan?
我可以每天免费工作 直到还清借款
I’d work every day for free till it was paid off.
那不是免费工作 那叫还债
That’s not working for free. That’s paying off a debt.
是的 小姐
Yes, ma’am.
作为基♥督♥徒 我帮你一个忙
As a Christian, I’m doing you a favor.
上帝不会施舍那些健健康康 可以自力更生的人
See, God don’t give charity to those who are well and able.
你得自己想办法筹钱 好吗
You need to come up with this money on your own. Ok?
是 小姐
Yes, ma’am.
总有一天你会感谢我的
You’ll thank me one day.
你给白人做饭 尝的时候要换个勺子
You cooking white food, you taste it with a different spoon.
要是他们看见你把用过的勺子放回锅里
If they see you put the tasting spoon back in the pot,
他们很可能会一锅都倒掉
might as well throw it all out.
勺子也扔了
Spoon, too.
你每天用同一套杯子 叉子和盘子
And you use the same cup, same fork, same plate every day.
要把它们一起放进橱柜
And you put it up in the cabinet.
你要告诉白人女人
You tell that white woman
从今以后你会一直把它们放哪里
that’s where you’re gonna keep it from now on out.
否则有你好看
Don’t do it and see what happens.
早上好 姑娘们
Morning, ladies.
你给白人调咖啡的时候
When you’re sewing white folks coffee,
摆在他们面前
set it down in front of them.
别用手递给他们 因为你的手不能碰
Don’t hand it to them, ’cause your hands can’t touch.
还有别打他们的孩子
And don’t hit on they children.
白人喜欢自己打孩子的屁♥股♥
White folks like to do they own spanking.
最后一件事 过来
And last thing. Come here.
看着我
Look at me.
别顶嘴
No sass-mouthing.
别顶嘴
No sass-mouthing.
我说认真的
I mean it.
亲你妈妈一个
Give your mama a kiss.
乐莱让苏格退学做事帮他还债
Leroy had made Sugar quit school to help him with the bills.
米妮一天没找到工作
And every day Minny went without a job,
乐莱一天都不会让她好过
might have been a day Leroy took her from our world.
大家早上好
Good morning, everybody.
但是我知道
But I knew.
我知道只有一个白种女人
I knew the only white lady
希莉小姐没对她说过这些谎话
Miss Hilly hadn’t gotten to with her lies.
过来
Come on!
别顶嘴 米妮·杰克逊 不要顶嘴
No sass-mouthing, Minny Jackson. No sass-mouthing.
艾比琳说你准时会来
Aibileen said you’d be on time.
我是西莉亚·莱·富特
I’m Celia Rae Foote.
我是米妮·杰克逊
I’m Minny Jackson.
你 在煮什么东西吗
You, uh… cooking something?
杂♥志♥教的乱七八糟的蛋糕
One of those upside-down cakes from a magazine.
做的不太顺利
It ain’t working out too good.
来吧 我给你倒杯冰镇的可口可乐
Come on, let’s get you a cold Coca-Cola.
来吧
Come on.
这里是厨房♥
This here is the kitchen.
搞什么鬼
What in the hell?
我想我还需要学习
I guess I got some learning to do.
当然
You sure do.
约翰尼的奶奶死后把这房♥子留给了他
Johnny’s grandmama left him this house when she died.
约翰尼的妈妈不准我动一草一木
And then Johnny’s mama wouldn’t let me change a thing.
要是按我的来
But if I had it my way,
就把这里铺满镶金边的白地毯
this place would be wall-to-wall white carpet with gold trim.
这些旧东西也不要了
None of this old stuff.
主卧室要有五张床和浴缸
The main house has five beds and baths,
游泳池还要用两张床和浴缸
and then the pool house has two more beds and baths.
你们要孩子的时候
When y’all gonna start having some children,
就要把这些空床装满吗
filling up all these empty beds?
我怀孕了
I’m pregnant now.
要吃两个人的量 做饭得做双份
Gonna be eating for two. That’s double the cooking.
我知道 这活儿很糟糕
I know. It’s an awful lotto do.
已经有五个女佣拒绝我了
Five other maids have already turned me down.
至少让我给你点车费吧
Let me at least get you some bus money.
那个 你什么时候
Now, uh… when did you
听到我说 不想给你打扫屋子
hear me say I don’t want to clean this house?
等等 那你是答应了
Wait. So you’ll do it?
抱就免了 抱就免了
Ooh. No hugging. No hugging.
不好意思 这是我头一次雇女佣
I’m sorry. This is the first time I’ve hired a maid.
来吧
Come on.
-你饿吗 -不饿 女士 稍等一下
– You hungry? – No, ma’am. Hold on a minute.
我们得先把事情谈清楚了
We gots to talk about some things first.
我从周日工作到周五
I work Sunday through Friday.
不 你不能在周末工作
No, you can’t work at all on the weekends.
好吧 那你希望我什么时候在
OK. What time you want me here?
九点钟以后 而且你得在四点钟之前离开
After 9:00, and you gotta leave before 4:00.
好吧
Ok.
你丈夫说钱该怎么付
What your husband say you can pay?
约翰尼不知道我找女佣
Johnny doesn’t know I’m bringing in help.
那要是约翰尼先生回家后
And what Mr. Johnny gonna do when he come home
发现一个有色女人怎么办
and find a colored woman in his house?
我又不是说要撒谎
It’s not like I’d be fibbing.
只是想让他觉得我可以独♥立♥自主
I just want him to think I can do this on my own.
我真的需要女佣
I really need a maid.
我明天早上大约九点一刻过来
I’ll be here tomorrow morning about 9:15.
很好
Great.