and you’re always sitting there like, “What can I do about it?” You know?
有些仓促
It was a little soon.
我平常是不会这么做 但这件事看起来很重要
I normally wouldn’t have done it, but it looked important.
接着就是:“你有布鲁斯·斯普林斯汀了”
Then it was like, “Well, you have Bruce Springsteen.”
“就可以打电♥话♥给鲍勃·迪伦了”
“You could call Bob Dylan.”
鲍勃·迪伦
It was Bob Dylan.
《风中飘荡》就是他的歌♥ 他一直以来都是个传奇
He was doing “Blowin’ in the Wind.” When hasn’t he been a legend?
鲍勃·迪伦是一名 以关心社会著称的音乐人
Bob Dylan was known as the concerned musician.
他比任何人都合适
He’d be a more natural fit than anyone,
虽然80年代中期 可能不是他的鼎盛时期
but the mid-’80s was maybe not the best period for him.
不过 他可是鲍勃·迪伦啊 他是一个谜
But, you know, he’s Bob Dylan. He’s an enigma.
一旦鲍勃·迪伦和 布鲁斯·斯普林斯汀答应后
Once Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen committed,
接下来想找谁都不难了
it was just a wish list.
我知道大卫·伯恩来不了
I know David Byrne was unavailable.
范海伦也来不了 因为他们在巡演
Van Halen was unavailable because they were on tour.
我想要贝蒂·米德勒
I wanted Bette Midler.
我想要丹·艾克罗伊德
I wanted Dan Aykroyd.
我是这么听说的 迈克尔打了个电♥话♥给我
How I heard about it was that Michael called me and said
说他正在策划一场大型活动 问我想不想参加
that he was planning on doing a big event and would I wanna be a part of it?
我对非洲正在发生的事并不怎么了解
I wasn’t that aware of what was going on in Africa,
但那时候 只要是迈克尔碰了的 都能大获成功
but at that time, whatever Michael did turned to gold,
所以 当然了 想也不用想
so, of course, it was a no-brainer.
哎呀 我们请到了 世上最漂亮的艺术家们
Man, we got the most beautiful artists in the world.
要是制♥作♥一张 有这么多伟大音乐人的唱片
Would be awful to produce the record with this many great people on it
结果因为歌♥选错了没成功 那就太可惜了
and it not work ’cause you don’t have the right song.
演员都已经就位了 接下来我们需要剧本
We’ve got the cast now. Now we need a script.
迈克尔和我 还以为我们有的是时间呢
Michael and I thought we had all the time in the world.
还在胡搞瞎弄
We were kiddin’ around…
克雷根打来电♥话♥
This project… Kragen calls.
我连觉都睡不着 这个项目太让我激动了
…I can hardly sleep. I’m so excited about the project.
“总之”他说:“有很多人在等着这首歌♥呢”
“Well,” he said, “there are a lot of people waiting on this song.”
“不只是你们四个”
“It’s not just the four of you.”
“我的天”
“Oh my God.”
他说:“我们好像请到比利·乔尔了”
He said, “I think we have Billy Joel.”
“还请到了威利”
“And we got Willie.”
“应该还有蒂娜 休易·路易斯、保罗·西蒙 戴安娜·罗斯、雷·查尔斯”
“I think we have Tina. Huey Lewis, Paul Simon, Diana Ross, Ray Charles.”
压力一层接一层
That’s just pressure, pressure, pressure.
“另外我们要在全美音乐奖的当晚录”
“And we’re gonna do this the night of the American Music Awards.”
“你在说什么啊?”
“What are you talking about?”
然后昆西也过来找我
And then Quincy comes by.
嗯 这下好了
Yeah. Here we go.
昆西非常安静地说:“我需要一首歌♥”
So Quincy, very quietly, just said, “I need a song.”
你必须意识到这个状况的严重性
You have to understand the severity of this situation.
下周就要举♥行♥全美音乐奖了
The American Music Awards are coming up next week,
而昆西基本上的意思就是 如果没有歌♥
and Quincy has been basically rendered null and void
他就不参与了
until we have a song.
我不知道后来怎么写出来的 我们就像被附体了一样
I don’t know how it happened after that. We were just possessed.
想到什么就是什么 把感觉好的留下来
Throwing things out and whatever felt good.
我先想出了几个和♥弦♥来
I came up with a few chords.
然后迈克尔说:“等等”
Michael said, “Whoa, whoa.”
很好
Okay.
再加上…
On top of ♪ Da, na, na, da, da, da ♪
魔力
Magic.
这下我们有了一个全是嘟哝的模板
We now have a template with mumbles
但没有歌♥词
and no words.
“四海皆一家”这一句 应该是迈克尔想出来的
“We are the world” was probably a line from Michael.
“我们是神的孩子”
♪ We are the children ♪
“更美好的明天” 然后呢?
“We are the what?” “We are the…”
“更明亮的明天 要由我们…”
“We are the one… We are the ones who make a brighter…”
我眼角的余光看到
Out of the corner of my eye…
有一些专辑掉了下来
I see some albums falling over.
然后我听到…
And I hear…
怎么回事?那是什么东西啊?怎么…
“What the heck? What the hell is that? What the… What…”
我转过头一看
I look over my shoulder.
是一条全世界最大的蛇
There’s the biggest frickin’ snake.
迈克尔说:“原来他在这儿呀 莱昂艾尔 我的天”
Michael’s going… “There he is, Lion-el. Oh my God.”
他在这个房♥间里把蛇弄丢了
He lost the snake in the room.
蛇爬了出来 “他听到我们唱歌♥了 莱昂艾尔
He came out… “when he heard us singing, Lion-el,
他想见见你 他想过来跟你打个招呼”
and he wanted to meet you. He wants to say hello to you.”
真是的 这… 我得赶紧离开这里!
I mean, that’s… “I gotta get outta here quick!”
我尖叫着 就好像…这是世界末日一样
I am screaming like it’s, it’s, it’s… This is the end.
我看过这部恐怖片 咱黑人的下场可不好
I saw this horror movie, and it’s not good for the brother.
正式录音前 大家都非常忙碌
It was a very hectic lead-up to the recording session,
地点的选择也至关重要的
and the location was a really big deal.
这张纸上的是高度机密
This paper is highly confidential.
最具破坏性的信息泄露
The single most damaging leak of information
就是我们会在哪里录制
is where we’re doing this.
我们探遍了洛杉矶的每一家录音室
We scouted every single studio in Los Angeles,
A&M录音棚什么条件都满足
and A&M Studios had everything.
地理位置很棒
A great location.
音质也非常优秀
The sound is phenomenal.
选好了
Done.
一旦这件事成为公众知识
The moment that becomes public knowledge,
如果出现在了媒体上
if that shows up in the press,
可能会毁掉整个项目
that could totally destroy the project.
普林斯、迈克尔·杰克逊 或是鲍勃·迪伦一到场
The moment a Prince, a Michael Jackson, a Bob Dylan drive up
要是见到了一大群人
and see a mob,
他们就永远也不会进来了
they will never come in.
克雷根非常担心地点会被泄露出去
Kragen was really worried about this leaking,
都到了近乎于妄想症的程度
and they were so paranoid about it.
关于这次活动 已经发生了多次信息泄露事件
We’ve had numerous leaks of information regarding this event
这样一来真是难上加难了
that have not made it any easier to do.
你有没有查到是从哪里泄露的?
Did you ever trace where the leak was? – Internal.
内部 -我们内部?我们必须小心点
Internal here? – Gotta be careful.
流行音乐界最重大的事件 就发生在城里头
This was the biggest thing happening in pop music right here in town,
所以想完全保密 是不可能的
so you couldn’t keep it that big a secret.
迈克尔和我写完了歌♥
Michael and I had finished writing the song,
终于把它交给了昆西
and finally turned it in to Quincy.
他喜欢吗?这是第一个问题
“Does he like it?” That’s the first question.
我的上帝呀
Jesus Lord.
我在家里听了之后 人都差点跌到地上
I listened to it at the house and absolutely fell on the floor.
人都跌倒了 因为这首歌♥太合适了
You know, I mean, fell… I mean, it was so right.
我太开心了 我心里想:“谢谢你 上帝!”
I was so happy. I mean, it’s like, “Thank you, God,” you know?
他很喜欢 好了 接下来
He loves it. Okay. Now,
我们需要把小样录好
we needed to put the demo down
好让其他艺术家知道 这首歌♥是怎么样的
so that the rest of the artists will have an idea of what the song sounds like.
是另一个
The other one. – Ah!
我的名字叫翁贝托·加蒂卡
My name is Humberto Gatica.
我来做整个项目的录音工程师
I was asked to be the engineer in charge of this entire project
应昆西·琼斯的要求
by Quincy Jones.
喂?
Hello?
喂?你好吗 路易斯?
Hello? How you doin’, Louis?
唉 你开玩笑的吧?
Man, are you kiddin’?
好 迈克尔和莱昂纳尔已经到了
Okay, so we’ve got Michael and Lionel over here.
我们准备好要录歌♥了 先把最基本的录下来
We’re getting ready to cut the track. We’re gonna cut the basic now.
一、二、三…
One, two, three.
我们的想法是 伴奏要简单一点
The idea was to make something simple
因为重点是歌♥声
because it was all about the singing,
重点在于这些人的歌♥喉 能为这个作品所带来的东西
about what these voices were gonna bring to this production.
抱歉 再来一遍
Sorry, one more. Sorry, one more.
“我们定能创造更美好的明天” 我太喜欢了 哥们!
“It’s true we make a better day.” I love that, man!
但再唱一遍“更明亮”感觉比较自然
It just seemed so natural to say “brighter” again.
不过换一个词 才能唤起更强烈的情感
You get a stronger feeling, though, if you use another word.
你这么认为吗? -是的
You think so? – Yeah.
录制进行到一半 一个人走了进来
Right in the middle of the session, in walks
史蒂夫
Stevie.
他以为我们是要写歌♥
He thought we were writing the song.
于是昆西说:“我去跟他谈谈”
And so Quincy said, “I’ll talk to him,”
于是昆西带着他去了走廊 跟他说歌♥我们已经写好了
and Quincy took him down the hall to tell him, “We’ve finished writing it.”
我们已经在录小样了
“We’re already putting the demo down.”
当然了 史蒂夫说:“噢 好吧”