Fixed it.
他是怎么做到的
Well, how’d he manage that?
大概是瞅准了时机吧
Saw the opportunity, I suppose.
他是个精明的人
He’s a very smart man.
老伙计 我想谈下有关贝克小姐
Now, old sport, about Miss Baker
和我的那个请求的事
and that request we spoke of.
尼克 尼克
Nick? Nick!
汤姆 见到你真高兴
Tom! Funny seeing you!
-你过得不错吧 -是的
– How have you been? – Yeah.
-好 -尼克 你还没打电♥话♥给黛西
– Good. – Nick, Daisy is furious
她气得要命
that you haven’t called.
盖茨比先生 这位是布坎南先生
Mr. Gatsby, this is Mr. Buchanan.
很高兴认识你
It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
没想到在这能碰见你
Never would have expected to find you in this temple of virtue.
我来和盖茨比先生共进午餐
I was having lunch with Mr. Gatsby.
需要帮助吗 先生
Can I help you, sir?
我在找乔丹·贝克
Jordan Baker
那个运动明星 高尔夫球手 没事了
the famous sporting star? The golfer? I see.
我看到她了 谢谢
I’ve spotted her. Thank you.
终于找到你了
There you are.
你和盖茨比在耍什么把戏
What game are you and Gatsby Playing at?
-这位先生是客人吗 -请等一下
– The gentleman will be joining? – Excuse me. One moment.
-尼克 拜托 -简直匪夷所思
– Nick, please. – It’s all rather strange.
他开豪车来接我
He picks me up in his fancy car.
-开始向我讲述他的人生 -小声点
– Going on about his life. – Keep your voice down.
别人会听见的
People can hear you.
这到底是什么请求
What is this enormous request?
他想让你邀请黛西共进茶会
He wants you to invite Daisy to tea.
黛西
Daisy?
和盖茨比
And Gatsby.
为什么
Why?
我不知从何讲起
I don’t quite know where to start.
我碰到盖茨比先生的那晚
You see, I didn’t realize
我才知道一切
until the other night that I’d met Gatsby.
五年前 在路易斯维尔[美国城市]
Five years ago. In Louisville.
那天 我买♥♥了新的英式高尔夫鞋
It was the day I got my new English golf shoes.
当时泰勒军营的那些军官们
Daisy was by far the most popular girl with
都对黛西情有独钟
the officers from Camp Taylor.
你好 乔丹
Hello, Jordan.
其中一位军官和她同坐在车里
One of them was in the car with her.
他就是盖茨比
It was Gatsby.
他那深情款款的双眼
The way he looked at her is the way
是所有姑娘梦寐以求的
all girls want to be looked at.
给我讲讲这件事吧
So, tell me what happened.
我也不知道
Well, I don’t know.
冲啊
Charge!
盖茨比被派去了战场
Gatsby was sent off to war.
战争结束后
When the war ended
黛西还在等
Daisy waited.
但不知为何 盖茨比没回来
But for some unknown reason, Gatsby couldn’t return.
钻石王老五 铁路之王得路易斯维尔美人芳心
一年后
A year later,
芝加哥的汤姆·布坎南横刀夺爱
Tom Buchanan of Chicago swept in and stole her away.
给了她一串价值三十五万美元的珍珠
He gave her a string of pearls worth $350,000.
但婚礼当天上午
But the morning of the wedding
黛西收到了一封信
Daisy received a letter.
告诉他们黛西改主意了
Tell them Daisy’s changed her mind!
-这是怎么回事 -黛西 别这样
– What is this? – Daisy, please!
-给我 -不
– Hand it to me! – No!
离我远点
Leave me alone!
乔丹 这事谁都不能知道
Jordan, no one must know about this.
-信里说了什么 -我不知道
– What was in the letter? – I don’t know.
她不肯告诉我
She wouldn’t tell me.
但一切都太晚了
But it was too late.
那天下午五点 黛西·费
That day at 5:00, Daisy Fay
与汤姆·布坎南完婚
married Tom Buchanan
婚礼排场在路易斯维尔空前绝后
with more pomp and circumstance than Louisville had ever seen.
年度婚礼 路易斯维尔社交新秀说”我愿意”
祝贺你 布坎南先生
Congratulations, Mr. Buchanan!
跟着箭头 赶上潮流 箭牌领男装
蜜月后 我在圣巴巴拉见过他们
After the honeymoon, I saw them in Santa Barbara.
相当感人 真的
Well, it was touching, really.
我从没见过感情这么深的夫妻
I’d never seen a girl so in love with her husband.
一周以后 汤姆出了车祸
A week later, Tom crashed his car.
车上还有个圣巴巴拉酒店女服务员
The girl with him was a chambermaid at the Santa Barbara Hotel.
所有的报纸都报道了
It got into all the papers.
-真是太巧了 -什么太巧了
– It’s a strange coincidence. – What is?
盖茨比的房♥子和他们家就一水之隔
The fact that Gatsby’s house is just across the bay.
这绝非巧合
It’s no coincidence.
他买♥♥下那房♥子 就是为了接近她
He bought that house to be near her.
他办那些派对 就是希望她能来一次
He threw all those parties hoping she’d wander in one night.
他常常问起黛西
He constantly asked about Daisy.
只不过我先知道的这段历史
I was just the first person that knew her.
为一个五年没见的姑娘做了这一切
All that for a girl he hasn’t seen in five years.
现在却只要我请她来喝茶
And now he just wants me to invite her over to tea.
厚积薄发
The modesty of it.
真是难以置信 是吧
Kind of takes your breath away, doesn’t it?
晚上好 亲爱的
Evening, sweethearts.
去哪儿呢 孩子们
Where are you kids going?
-长岛吧 -你说我要不要…
– Long Island, please. – And you think I should…
我是说 黛西会想见盖茨比吗
I mean, does Daisy want to see Gatsby?
绝对不能让她知道
She’s absolutely not to know.
你把她请过来就好
You’re supposed to invite her over
他就可以假装路过
so he can happen to pass by.
我记得我内心很纠结
I remember feeling torn.
把我已婚的表妹黛西和我不熟悉的男人
Was it right to bring my cousin Daisy, a married woman
撮合在一起 合适吗
together with a man I hardly knew?
我回到家时 盖茨比家灯火通明
When I returned home, Gatsby’s was lit from tower to cellar
好像又一场狂欢
as if for another wild party.
但却没有一丝声响
But there wasn’t a sound.
-谢谢你 -晚上愉快
– Thank you. – Have a good night.
你家就像世界博览会 或者科尼岛
Your place looks like the World’s Fair or Coney Island.
科尼岛 纽约布鲁克林南部娱乐中心
-是吗 -是的
– Does it? – Yes.
我只是随便看看这些屋子
Well, I’ve just been glancing into some of the rooms.
你说我们去科尼岛怎么样 老伙计
What do you say we go to Coney Island, old sport?
可以坐我的车去
We could take my car.
今天太晚了
Oh, uh, it’s too late tonight.
那我们可以跳进泳池凉快凉快
We could take a plunge in the swimming pool.
我整个夏天都还没用过它
I haven’t made use of it all summer.
我得去睡觉了
I must go to bed.
那好
All right.
我很乐意
Happy to do it.
我会给黛西打电♥话♥
I’m going to call Daisy and
-请她来喝茶的 -太好了
– invite her to tea. – That’s all right.
-你觉得哪天方便 -你觉得哪天方便
– What day would suit you? – What day would suit you?
我可不想给你添麻烦
I don’t want to put you to any trouble.
后天怎么样
Day after tomorrow all right?
后天吗
Day after tomorrow?
我 我想
Well, I, I’d,
我得找人修一下草坪
See, I’d want to get the grass cut.
听我说 老伙计
Well, look here, old sport.
你赚的钱不多吧 对吗
You don’t make much money, do you?
-不太多 -恕我冒昧
– Not really. – If you’ll forgive me.
我正好在做一点小生意
You see, I happen to run a little business on the side.
相当于副业
A sort of sideline.
你知道我在说什么 对吧
You understand what I’m saying, right?
你是卖♥♥债券的 是吧 老伙计
You do sell bonds, don’t you, old sport?
-我正在努力卖♥♥ -好的
– I’m trying to. – Right.
干这个 可是要相当的保密
Well, happens to be a rather confidential sort of thing
不过钱倒是不少
but you might make a nice bit of money on the side.
不用了 谢谢你 我太忙了
No, thank you. I have my hands full.
你不用和沃尔夫山姆有任何来往