You’re…
他的微笑是如此不寻常
His smile was one of those rare smiles
人这一生也难得几回见
that you may come across four or five times in life.
这微笑似乎在告诉你
It seemed to understand you,
他理解你 信任你
and believe in you just as you
恰如你内心深处的渴望
would like to be understood and believed in.
抱歉老伙计 我还以为你知道
Sorry, old sport. I thought you knew.
那个…我不知道说什么 不好意思
Please just… I don’t know what to say. Please forgive me.
-没事 -我喝多了
– it’s quite all right. – I’ve had so much to drink.
-怎么了 -盖茨比先生
– Yes? – Mr. Gatsby, sir.
-芝加哥来电 -天啊
– Chicago on the wire. – Oh,my.
我马上过去
I’ll be in in just a minute.
明天上午我新买♥♥的水上滑艇试水
I’m taking my new hydroplane out in the morning.
你想一起来吗
Would you like to go with me?
什么时候
What time?
你什么时候方便
The time that suits you.
您真是太好了
Well, that’s very kind of you.
很高兴再次见到你 贝克小姐
Lovely to see you again, Miss Baker.
要是有什么需要
If there’s anything that you want,
尽管开口 老伙计
just ask for it, old sport.
我先失陪了
Excuse me.
过会儿再来
I will rejoin you later.
我以为他…
I expected him to be…
-是个大腹便便的糟老头吗 -对
– Old and fat? – Yes.
年轻人是不会突然冒出来
Young men don’t just drift coolly out of nowhere,
在长岛买♥♥座豪♥宅♥的
and buy a palace on Long Island.
他说他以前在牛津读书
He told me once he was an Oxford man.
可我不相信
However, I don’t believe it.
为什么
Why not?
不知道 就是不信
I don’t know. I just don’t believe he went there.
抱歉
I beg your pardon.
贝克小姐 盖茨比先生有请
Miss Baker, Mr. Gatsby would like to speak to you.
您一人前去
Alone.
叫我吗
Me?
是的 女士
Yes, madam.
尼克
Nick!
尼克
Nick!
尼克
Nick!
我刚才听到了最骇人的消息
I’ve just heard the most shocking thing.
你去哪里了 车等着呢
Where have you been? The car’s waiting.
-快 得走了 -简直让人目瞪口呆
– Come on, we’re leaving. – Simply amazing.
这就说得通了
It all makes sense.
解释了这一切
It all makes sense.
明白了吧
Come on.
-什么意思 -所有
– What makes sense? – Everything!
快点 别闹了
Come on, this is crazy!
-我们得走了 -但我只能说这么多
– We gotta get out of here. – Oh, but here I am tantalizing you,
因为我发了誓不能说
when I swore I wouldn’t tell.
你就告诉我吧
Just tell me.
尼克 对不起 我发过誓了
Oh, Nick, I’m sorry, I swore.
发了誓不能说的
I swore I wouldn’t tell.
抱歉让她走了 老伙计
Sorry to keep her from you, old sport.
别忘了明天上午的水上滑艇之约
Don’t forget we’re going up in that hydroplane tomorrow morning.
一定
Yes.
盖茨比先生
Mr. Gatsby, sir.
-费城来电 -知道了
– Philadelphia on the phone. – Yes.
晚安 老伙计
Night, old sport.
晚安
Good night.
谢谢你
Thank you.
怎么了
What’s the matter?
没油了吗
You run out of gas?
尼克 要来看我哦
Nick! Come and see me!
下周一起喝茶
We’ll have tea next week.
电♥话♥簿上找
I’m in the phone book.
我会给你打电♥话♥的
I’ll call you up.
后来我们去坐了水上滑艇
Well, we rode in the hydroplane.
我又参加了两次他的派对
And I attended two more of his parties.
还借用过他家沙滩
Even made use of his beach.
但老实说 医生
But you know, doctor, I realized
我完全不了解盖茨比这个人
that I knew absolutely nothing about Gatsby at all.
直到后来…
Until…
车还不错吧 老伙计
It’s pretty, isn’t it, old sport?
以前是不是没见过
Haven’t you ever seen it before?
专门定制的
It’s all a custom job.
增压引擎
Supercharged engine.
快去穿衣服
Get dressed.
跟我去吃饭
We’re going to lunch.
我说 老伙计
Look here, old sport.
你觉得我这人怎么样
What is your opinion of me, anyhow?
-我觉得吗 -对 你怎么想的
– My opinion? – Yes, yes, your opinion.
我不希望
I don’t want you to get the wrong impression from all these,
你被各种奇怪的谣言误导
from all these bizarre accusations you must be hearing.
那些全是假的 你听过吧
A pack of lies, I guarantee. You’ve heard the stories?
-我… -我会告诉你真♥相♥的
– Well, I… – I will tell you God’s truth.
不掺一点假
God’s truth about myself.
我出身于中西部的有钱人家
I am the son of very wealthy people from the Middle West.
不幸的是 家人都已去世
Sadly, all of them are dead now.
我虽在美国长大 却在牛津上学
I was brought up in America but educated at Oxford.
因为祖祖辈辈都在那里接受教育
Because all my ancestors have been educated there for years.
算是家族传统吧
You see, it’s a family tradition.
他说话的方式
The way he spoke.
的确会让人怀疑他在说谎
No wonder people thought he was lying.
家人去世后 我得到了巨额遗产
After my family died, I ran into a great deal of money.
此后我就像王子一般
After that, I lived like a young prince.
游历欧洲各国
You know, in all the capitals of Europe.
-欧洲啊 -对 是欧洲
– Oh, Europe. – Yes, Europe.
巴黎 威尼斯
Paris, Venice
罗马 维也纳
Rome, Vienna
苏黎世 赫尔辛基
Zurich, Helsinki
莫斯科 伊斯坦布尔
Moscow, Istanbul
我收集珠宝
Collecting jewels,
以红宝石为主
chiefly rubies.
狩猎猛兽
Hunting big game,
画了几幅画 做些我想做的事
painting a little, things for myself only.
试图忘记忧愁…
Trying to forget something sad…
我本以为这些就够带劲的了
Just when I thought it couldn’t be any more fantastical.
战争打响了 老伙计
Then came the war, old sport.
他化身战争英雄 单枪匹马拿下了德军
He became a war hero, single-handedly defeating the German army.
在阿尔贡的森林里
In the Argonne Forest,
我攻破两个机♥枪♥支队
I took two machine gun detachments so far…
当时敌众我寡 只能以一敌五
We were outnumbered 5 to 1.
那有个半英里深的峡谷
There was a half a mile gap.
德军全军覆没
There wasn’t a single German soldier left standing.
我们在峡谷里呆了两天两夜
We stayed there two days and two nights.
看到横尸遍野
We saw piles of dead.
130个士兵只有16把刘易斯式机关枪
One hundred and thirty men with only 16 Lewis guns.
所有同盟国都颁发给我一枚勋章
Every Allied government gave me a medal.
连黑山共和国也不例外
Even Montenegro.
位于前南斯拉夫南部 亚德里沿岸地区
看
Here.
这个就是
That’s from Montenegro.
“杰·盖茨比少校
“Major Jay Gatsby for
-骁勇善战 特授予勋章” -没错
– valor extraordinary.” – Valor extraordinary. That’s right.
这个我一直随身携带
And this is something I always carry with me,
来纪念我在牛津大学的时光
a souvenir of Oxford days.
这是在三一学院照的
That was taken in Trinity quad.
左边的人现在是唐卡斯特伯爵
The man on my left is now the Earl of Doncaster.
我还有什么可说的呢
What could I say?
照片毋庸置疑是真的
The photograph was undoubtedly authentic.
但这些都是真的吗
Could it all be true?
当然 你大可不必听信我 老伙计
Of course, you don’t need to take my word for it, old sport.