My little shack’s just a cardboard box at 80 a month.
你过得真有意思
Your life is adorable.
我倒是认识一个西卵区的人
I know somebody in West Egg.
我和那边的人还没来往过呢
I don’t know a single person that side of the bay.
但你一定听说过盖茨比
You must know Gatsby.
盖茨比
Gatsby?
哪个盖茨比
What Gatsby?
夫人 晚膳已备齐
Madame, the dinner is servi.
想听听咱家的秘密吗
Would you like to hear a family secret?
-洗耳恭听 -是有关管家的鼻子的
– That’s why I came over. – It’s about the butler’s nose.
事情变得每况愈下
Things went from bad to worse.
我不喜欢”大老粗”这个词
I hate that word “Hulking.”
尼克 听说你准备娶一个
Nicky, I heard a rumor that you were getting married
-西卵区的姑娘 -哪有的事
– to a girl out West. – It’s a libel.
我没钱啊
I’m too poor.
除非找个老女人准备坐吃遗产
They have to be old so they die quickly.
咱换个话题行吗
Can’t we talk about something else?
什么都好 谈谈作物收成吧
Anything. Crops.
你让我觉得自己像野蛮人 黛西
You’re making me feel uncivilized, Daisy.
文明已经要四分五裂了
Civilization’s going to pieces.
你读过戈达德写的那本
Have you read The Rise of the Colored Empires
《黑色帝国的崛起》吗
by this fellow Goddard?
人们都该读读这本书
Everybody ought to read it.
如果白人再掉以轻心的话
The idea is that it’s up to us, the dominant race to watch out
别的种族就要主宰一切了
or these other races will have control of things.
汤姆近来看问题比较长远
Tom’s very profound lately.
他读了很多晦涩难懂的书籍
He reads deep books with long words in them.
这是有根据的
It’s been proved.
是科学的道理
It’s scientific.
我们得消灭这些苗头
We’ve got to beat them down.
布坎南府邸
Buchanan residence.
是汽车修理厂的威尔逊先生打来的
Monsieur Wilson, from the garage.
布坎南先生
Monsieur Buchanan.
不好意思 我去去就来
Excuse me, I’ll be right back.
抱歉
I’m sorry.
你提到的这个盖茨比先生
Well, this Mr. Gatsby you spoke of,
-他就住我隔壁 -嘘 别说话
– he’s my neighbor. – Shh! Don’t talk.
我想听听他们在说什么
I wanna hear what happens.
我不管你用什么方法…
I don’t care what you do…
出了什么事吗
Something happening?
-我还以为众人皆知呢 -我就不知道
– Why, I thought everybody knew. – Well, I don’t.
-汤姆在纽约有了外遇 -外遇
– Tom’s got some woman in New York. – Got some woman?
她或许不懂晚饭时不该打过来
She might have the decency not to telephone at dinnertime.
你说呢
Don’t you think?
你嫌我管太宽吗
Is that too much to ask?
黛西 不要无事生非
Daisy, don’t create a scene.
你能上我这儿吃晚餐真好 尼克
I love seeing you at my table, Nicky.
你让我想到玫瑰 他难道不像玫瑰吗
You remind me of a rose. An absolute rose, doesn’t he?
-等下吃完饭 -我可没玫瑰那么脆弱
– So after dinner, – Well, I’m not even faintly like a rose.
尼克想去镇上逛逛 对吧
Nick wanted to go into town. Right, Nick?
去耶鲁俱乐部
To the Yale Club.
尼克 就待在这儿吧
Nicky, stay.
明天我还得早起上班呢
I have to work early.
胡说
Nonsense.
-还有好多话没说 -就去喝几杯而已
– There’s so much to talk about. – It’s just for a drink or two.
第五次急切而刺耳的电♥话♥铃♥声♥
None of us could ignore that fifth guest’s
牵动了每个人的神经
shrill metallic urgency.
-尼克 -怎么了
– Nicky. – What?
就是 我觉得一切都糟透了
It’s just, well, you see, I think everything’s terrible anyhow.
-是吗 -是的
– Really? – Yes.
我周游各地 看遍世间百态
I’ve been everywhere and seen everything and done everything.
我曾经有一段低谷时期 尼克
I’ve had a very bad time, Nicky.
导致我现在有点愤世嫉俗
I’m pretty cynical about everything.
你女儿一切都好吧
Your daughter, I suppose she talks and eats and everything?
你说帕米
Pammy?
是的
Oh, yes.
尼克 她出生的时候
Listen, Nick, when she was born,
天知道汤姆在哪
Tom was God knows where.
和谁鬼混在一起
with God knows whom.
我问护士
And I asked the nurse
是男孩还是女孩
if it was a boy or a girl.
她说是女孩
And she said it was a girl
我哭着说
and I wept:
真庆幸是个女孩
“I’m glad it’s a girl.
我希望她做个傻姑娘
And I hope she’ll be a fool.
傻姑娘才是最幸福的
That’s the best thing a girl in this world can be.
美丽的傻姑娘
A beautiful little fool.”
华美珍贵的事物总是很快逝去
All the bright, precious things fade so fast.
而且一去不复返
And they don’t come back.
我回到家
When I arrived home
发现邻居家的码头上
I noticed that a figure
出现了一个身影
had emerged on my neighbor’s dock.
直觉告诉我 他就是
And something told me it was
盖茨比先生
Mr. Gatsby.
他似乎伸着手
He seemed to be reaching toward
在黑暗中摸索着什么
something out there in the dark.
那束绿光
The green light.
我不想再说了 医生
I don’t wanna talk about this, doctor.
那就写下来
Then write about it.
-写下来吗 -是的
– Write about it? – Yes.
为什么要写呢
Why would I do that?
你说过写作能给你带来慰藉
You said yourself writing brought you solace.
是的 但却不能给别人带去慰藉
Yeah, well, it didn’t bring anyone else much solace.
我写得不好
I wasn’t any good.
又不是给人看的
No one need ever read it.
你可以烧掉
You could always burn it.
写些什么呢
What would I write about?
什么都行
Anything.
只要能让你安心的东西都可以写
Whatever brings you ease:
一段回忆
a memory
一点想法 一个地方
a thought, a place.
写下来
Write it down.
一个地方
A place.
灰之谷是个怪异的地方
The Valley of Ashes was a grotesque place.
它是纽约的垃圾场
New York’s dumping ground
在西卵区和城区之间
halfway between West Egg and the city
它的煤炭
where the burnt-out coal
点燃了纽约的纸醉金迷
that powered the booming golden city
但它已支离破碎
was discarded by men who moved dimly
在这漫天尘土中
and already crumbling
也无人愿意停留
through the powdery air.
这个古怪的农场
This fantastic farm
一直在T·J·埃克伯格医生的注视下
was ever watched by Dr. T.J. Eckleburg
他虽然被人遗忘
A forgotten oculist
却审视着这里
whose eyes brooded over it all
就像上帝之眼
like the eyes of God.
汤姆邀请我进城
Tom had invited me to town,
肯定是去参加耶鲁俱乐部的午宴
apparently for lunch at the Yale Club,
但是
but
却出现了意想不到的转折
the day took an unexpected turn.
跟我来
Come on.
-快来 -什么意思
– Come on! – What do you mean?
相信我
Trust me!
-我们这是要做什么 -你们在干什么
– What are we doing? – Where are you going?

Jump!
-你要做什么 -快跳
– What are you doing? -Jump, come on!
-汤姆 -跟我来
– Tom! – Come on!
天啊
Oh, God.
汤姆 等等 等等我行吗
Tom, wait. Wait a second, would you?
跟我来 尼克
Dominate, Nick!
跟我来

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!