伟大的辩论家
伟大的天父 我们以最卑微的方式
Heavenly Father, we come before Thee,
来到您的面前
knee bent and body bowed
卑躬屈膝
in the humblest way that we know how.
无所不知 无所不能的主啊
Father, who controls and knows all things,
掌管一切生命的生与死
both the living and dying of all creatures.
给予我们生活的智慧和力量
Give us the strength and the wisdom to do Thy work.
让我们以主的名义祈祷
In God’s name we pray.
所有主的仆从一起说 “阿门”
And all God’s people say, “Amen.”
阿门
Amen.
当亚加薇醒酒以后
When Agave sobered up,
她向下看到了她儿子潘西亚斯的头
she looked down and saw the head of her son Pentheus
– 就躺在她的臂弯里 – 她觉得他就是一只野兽
– right there in her hands. – She thought he was a wild animal.
迪奥奈西斯就是这样复仇的
That’s how Dionysus got his revenge.
你就是个异端 亨利
You a heathen, Henry.
你知道我在这里弄到了什么吗?
You know what I got right here?
– 什么啊? – 那种很特别的酒
– What? – Some of that very wine.
当我还是个孩子时 我像孩子一样说话
“When I was a child, I spake as a child.
像孩子一样理解
“I understood as a child.
像孩子一样思考
“I thought as a child.
但是当我变成一个男人之后
“But when I became a man,
我就摒弃了所有小孩子的东西
I put away all childish things.”
新生课堂
Freshman class…
我觉得我们是美国最有特权的人
I believe we are the most privileged people in America,
因为我们在从事着美国最重要的工作
because we have the most important job in America:
教育我们的年轻一代
The education of our young people.
特鲁戴尔
Trudell!
– 这他妈的是谁啊 – 哦 他是我丈夫
– Who the hell is he? – Oh, he’s just my husband.
我非得把你的头割下来不可
I’m gonna cut your head off.
我们必须向我们的年轻一代施加压力
We must impress upon our young people
让他们知道自己将要面对的困难
that there will be difficulties that they face.
快点 特鲁戴尔 好好教训他一下
Come on, Trudell. Come get this whuppin’, boy.
– 把他弄倒啊 特鲁戴尔 – 害怕了 对吧?
– Get him down, Trudell. – Scared, ain’t ya?
嗯?你拿着刀 块头也是我的两倍
Huh? You with the razor and twice my size?
他们必须要击败他们
They must defeat them!
为了能去做他们自己想做的 他们首先要去做他们必须要做的
They must do what they have to do in order to do what they want to do.
来啊 快点
Come on, now.
快点 亲爱的
Come on, baby!
教育是让我们摆脱无知的
Education is the only way out.
快点 亲爱的 站起来啊 亲爱的
Come on, baby. Get up! Get up, baby. Come on!
唯一途径
The way out of ignorance…
喜欢拿刀砍人 啊?
Like cuttin’ people, huh, boy?
想要砍人 特鲁戴尔 嗯?
Want to cut people, Trudell, huh?
把你的手拿开
Get your hands off me!
摆脱黑暗的唯一途径
The way out of darkness!
并让我们
Into…
沐浴荣耀的光芒
the glorious light.
1935年 德克萨斯州 马歇尔市
行了 把它还给我
Come on, now! Give it back!
– 还给我 – “给我们珍爱的汉密尔顿…”
– Give it back! – “To our precious Hamilton…”
别闹了 快点 还给我
This isn’t funny. Come on. Dunbar, give it back.
你以为你是谁啊?杰西·欧文斯?
Who do you think you are? Jesse Owens?
坐吧
Have a seat.
我是…
“I am…
黑暗的兄弟
“the darker brother.
他们让我在有客人来时去厨房♥吃东西
“They send me to eat in the kitchen when company comes.
但是我笑了 吃的也不错
“But I laugh, and I eat well,
并且越来越强壮
“and I grow strong.
明天 客人们再来时我就坐在桌边
“Tomorrow, I will sit at the table when company comes.
再没有人敢对我说
“Nobody’ll dare say to me,
去厨房♥吃吧
“‘Eat in the kitchen’ then.
此外 他们还要还会看到我有多漂亮
“Besides, they’ll see how beautiful I am,
并因此而自惭形秽
“and be ashamed.
我 也是 美国人
I, too, am America.”
谁写的?
Who wrote that?
蓝斯顿·休斯, 1924年
Langston Hughes, 1924.
1925年
1925.
对你的憎恨将会是一场冷血的游戏
“Hating you shall be a game played with cool hands.”
革命
思念将它的手放在你的胸膛上
“Memory will lay its hands upon your breast,
你就会明白我的仇恨
and you will understand my hatred.”
格温多林·班尼特写的
Gwendolyn Bennett wrote that.
1902年出生的
She was born in 1902.
并非官方说法
Unofficially.
你们都看到了 在大多数州
You see, in most states,
黑人都没有出生证明
Negroes were denied birth certificates,
也就是说下半辈子我都可以隐瞒我的年龄
which means I can lie about my age the rest of my life.
你们觉得很有意思吗?
You think that’s funny?
生下来
To be born…
却没有证明
without record.
里德先生 把这个发下去
Mr. Reed, hand these out.
这个学期我将要给你们介绍一些新的内容
I’m going to introduce you to some new voices this semester.
在北方 纽约的哈莱姆区(黑人聚居区)
There’s a revolution going on.
正在发生一场革命
In the North. In Harlem.
他们正在改变美国黑人的思维方式
They’re changing the way Negroes in America think.
我是说休斯和班尼特这些诗人
I’m talking about poets like Hughes, Bennett,
佐拉·尼尔·赫斯顿 康提·科伦
Zora Neale Hurston, Countee Cullen…
有人用牙齿咬住银匙
“Some are teethed on a silver spoon,
因为一个喋喋不休的人而紧张的要命
“with the stars strung up for a rattle.
而我却像黑熊一样
“I cut my teeth as a black raccoon…
为了战斗而咬掉了牙齿
…for implements of battle.”
下课后找我一下
Meet me after class.
一个教授会在午夜时分打扮的
What’s a professor doing in the middle of the night
和棉花间苗机一样的要干啥?
dressed like a cotton-chopper?
为什么一个学生会在午夜时分
What is a student doing in the middle of the night
置自己的生命于不顾呢?
throwing his life away?
真有意思 我觉得我是在自卫
It’s funny. I thought I was defending myself.

Mm.
我记得你
I remember you.
好像很多年了 你后来就不见了
Couple of years ago. Then you disappeared.
出什么事了?
What happened?
我来去自♥由♥ 随心所欲
I come and go whenever it suits me.
– 被停学? – 请长假
– Suspensions? – Leaves of absence.
那你怎么又回来了?
Why’d you come back?
学校是唯一一个可以让你全天 都可以读书的地方
School’s the only place you can read all day.
当然 除了监狱之外
Except prison.
我希望你今晚能到我家来 7:30
I want you to come by my house tonight, 7:30.
– 就在六月街和校园街的街角 – 我为什么要去?
– Corner of June and Campus. – Why would I do that?
为辩论队进行选拔
Holding tryouts for the debate team.
– 你确定你要找的人是我吗? – 不确定
– You sure you want somebody like me? – No.
这正是你要参加选拔的原因
That’s why you’re trying out.
7:30
7:30.
六月街和校园街
June and Campus.
为风所动 为风所驱
“Driven by the wind and tossed…”
加油 年轻人
Do well tonight, Junior.
在威利学院的360名学生中
Of the 360 students here at Wiley College,
只有45个人能够进入辩论选拔队
only 45 of you were brave enough to try out for the debate team.
这45个人当中呢 只有4个人
Of that 45, only four of you will remain standing
才能在选拔结束时留在这里 为什么呢?
when the tryouts are over… why?
因为辩论就是一项血腥的运动 是战斗
Because debate is blood sport. It’s combat.
但是你们的武器就是语言
But your weapons are words.
进来吧
Come on in.
现在法默来了 我们可以开始了
Now that Mr. Farmer has joined us, we can begin.
坐下吧 法默先生
Sit down, Mr. Farmer.
不是那儿 是那边
Not right there. Over there.
– 是的 先生 – 詹姆斯 这边
– Yes, sir. – James. Right this way.
晚上好 托森太太
Good evening, Mrs. Tolson.
– 晚上好 – 抱歉
– Evening. – Excuse me.
我们都在等你 法默先生
We’re waiting for you, Mr. Farmer.
我来了 先生
I’m going, sir.
多谢 法默先生 你身上闻起来好香啊 法默先生
Thank you, Mr. Farmer. You smell very good, Mr. Farmer.
– 多谢 先生 – 不必客气

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!