-(man) Hey! Where you going? -We’re going out.
-为什么 -我们找到了工作 一份好工作
-What for? -We got ajob offered. A good job.
是吗
Yeah?
我们查查看
Well, let’s take a look at you.
-还有人吗 -你是说那个搭便车的
-Wasn’t there another fella with you? -You mean that hitchhiker?
小个子 白脸那个
Little short fella with a pale face?
差不多吧
l guess that’s what he looked like.
我们进来时他才爬上车
We just picked him up on the way in.
今早减工资金时他就走了
He left when the rate dropped.
他长什么样子
What did you say he looked like again?
小个子 白脸
Short fella. Pale face.
今早他脸上有伤疤吗
Was he bruised about the face this morning?
我没看到
l didn’t see nothing.
好 走吧
OK, go on.
-不回来了 -对 我们在北边找到了工作
-Going out for good? -Yeah. Going north. Got ajob.
好
OK.
-你真行 艾尔 -我们去哪儿
-Done good, Al. You done real good. -Know where we’re going?
去哪儿都没关系 我们先得
lt don’t matter. We got to go
远远离开这儿
and keep going till we get plenty of distance away from here.
天啊 烫手
Ouch! She’s hotter than a heifer.
-怎么了 -风扇皮带坏了
-What’s up? -The fan belt’s shot.
坏的真是地方
Sure picked a nice place for it too, didn’t she?
-还有油吗 -大约半加仑
-Got any gas? -About half a gallon.
这次它真的不行了
Well, Ma, sure looks like we done her this time.
前面有灯光 可能是营地
Lights up ahead. That might be a camp or something.
有一英里 车能开到哪儿吗
Looks like about a mile. Reckon she’ll coast her, Al?
开不到也不行 来 推推车
-Got to coast it. -Well, let’s give her a whirl. Huh?
来 孩子们 上车约翰
Come on, kids. Get in. John!
农业部 农民临时营
摔到了吗 约翰
Did you hurt yourself, John?
没
No.
-你刹车太猛了 -什么意思
-You hit it too fast. -What’s the idea of that?
这里好多孩子玩
Well, you see a lot of children play in here.
我常提醒司机减速 可他们总是忘
You can tell people to drive slow and they’re liable to forget,
撞到这土丘 他们就不忘了
but once they hit that hump they don’t forget.
-这里有位子吗 -你们算走运了
-Got any room here for us? -You’re lucky.
你好 太太
How do you do, ma’am? How are you?
你好
How are you?
一直走下去 转左就能看到
Down that line, turn to the left. You’ll see it.
你们住在第四卫生组
You’ll be in number four sanitary unit.
-什么 -洗手间 浴室 洗衣房♥
-What’s that? -Toilet, showers, washtubs.
这里有洗衣房♥和自来水
We’ll have washtubs with running water?
对
Yes, ma’am.
流民营委员会早上会拜访并安置你们
Camp committee will call on you in the morning, get you fixed.
-警♥察♥ -不
-Cops? -No. No cops.
妇女委员会
No, people here elect their own cops.
将会联♥系♥你
The ladies’ committee’ll call on you, ma’am.
谈谈儿童管理
Tell you about the children,
教育和卫生和谁负责照顾孩子
the schools and sanitary unit and who takes care of ’em.
你进来签个名好吗
Will you come inside and sign up?
把车开过去 我来签名
Drive her on down, Al. l’ll sign up.
这边
Right this way. ln here.
我不想问东问西
Now, l don’t want to seem inQuisitive, you understand,
但有些东西我一定要知道 你叫什么
but there’s certain information l have to have. What’s your name?
汤姆•乔德
Joad. Tom Joad.
乔…德
-J-O… -A-D.
你们一共多少人
And how many of you?
现在有…8个
Eight. Now.
约翰叔叔 你看起来脸色不好
Uncle John, you don’t look so good.
是不太好 不过我也要去
l ain’t so good, but l’m coming.
推
Shove.
流民营一个星期收费1美元 但你可以打工补偿
Camp site costs a dollar a week. You can work that out
倒垃圾 搞卫生什么的
carrying garbage, keeping the camp clean, things like that.
我们会工作的
We’ll work it out.
你们谈的委员会是什么
What’s the committee you’re talking about?
我们共分五个卫生车位
We have five sanitary units.
每个选出一位委员
Each one elects a central committee man.
制定法规 实施法规
They make the laws and what they say goes.
难道你是说管理流民营的
You aiming to tell me
也是这里的流民
the fellas running the camp are just fellas camping here?
-没错 -没有警♥察♥
-That’s the way it is. -And you say no cops?
没有许可证 警♥察♥不能进这里
No cop can come in here without a warrant.
真不敢相信
l can’t hardly believe it.
我以前呆的流民营被烧掉了
Camp l was in before, they burnt it out.
放火的是警长和联防队员
Deputies and some of them pool-room fellas.
他们管不了这儿的
They don’t get in here. Sometimes the boys patrol the fences.
-舞会时他们会在附近巡逻 -这里还有舞会
-Especially on dance nights. -You got dances too?
每个星期六晚上都有盛大的舞会
We have the best dances in the county, every Saturday night.
-是谁管理这里的 -政♥府♥
-Who runs this place? -The government.
-为什么他们不学学政♥府♥ -你问我我也不知道
-Why ain’t there more like it? -You find out. l can’t.
这里有工作吗
ls there anything like work around here?
这个我不敢保证
l can’t promise you that,
等下会有个拿执照的代理商 你跟他谈谈
but there’ll be a licensed agent here later if you want to talk.
你的伤口…
That cut you have?
-箱子砸的 -你最好处理一下它
-Crate fell on me. -You’d better take care of it.
店老板会帮你找些药 回见
Store manager will give you something for it. See you later.
妈妈肯定会喜欢这里
Ma’s sure going to like it here.
她好久没有过这样尊重的待遇了
She ain’t been treated decent for a long while.
再见
See you later.
请关好水龙头 保持营地清洁
-文菲尔德 起来 有东西给你 -什么
-Winfield. l got something to show you. -What’s the matter?
有些白色的东西
lt’s some white things made out of dish stuff,
跟商品目录里的一样 快 快来看
like in the catalogues. Come on, l’ll show you.
快 没人会骂我们的
Come on. Ain’t nobody going to say anything.
这里是洗手的地方
There’s where you wash your hands.
-这是什么 -站在小隔间里…
-What’s these? -l reckon you stand in them little rooms.
水就会从上面的水龙头流出来
And water comes down out of that little jigger up there.
供我们洗澡
You take a bath.
看 跟商品目录里的一样
Oh, look. Just like in the catalogues.
不要调皮
Hey! Don’t you go a-monkeyin’!
你把它弄坏了
Now you done it! You busted it!
我只不过是拉了那条线
All l done was pull that string.
-汤姆斯 -早上好
-Hiya, Mr Thomas. -Morning.
早上好
Morning.
干的好
Nice job.
听着 我或许会放弃这农场
Listen here. Maybe l’m going to talk myself out of my farm,
但我喜欢你们
but l like you fellas.
你们是好工人 我得告诉你们
You’re good workers. So l’m going to tell you.
-你们住在政♥府♥的流民营对吧 -是的
-You live over in the government camp? -Yes, sir.
-你们每个星期六晚都有舞会 -没错
-You have dances there every Saturday night. -We sure do.
-下个星期六晚要留心 -什么事
-Well, look out next Saturday night. -What’s the matter?
我是那儿的头 我得知道
l’m head to the central committee. l got to know.
别说我告诉你们
Well, don’t tell l told you.
听着
Listen.
愤怒的红色煽动者烧掉了另一座流民营
“Citizens angered at red agitators burning other sQuatters’ camps
并命令煽动者离开该郡
and order agitators to leave the county.”
红色煽动者是谁
Listen. What is these reds anyway?
你一转身
Every time you turn around
别人就把你说成红色
somebody’s calling somebody else a red.
他们究竟是什么人
What is these reds anyway?
我不会乱说的
l ain’t talking about that, one way or another.
营里周末舞会时
All l’m saying is there’s going to be a fight
会出现打架事件
at the camp, Saturday night.
警长会候在外面
And there’ll be deputies ready to go in.
继续干活吧
Now go on with your work.
或许我已经自找麻烦了
Maybe l’ve talked myself into trouble,
但你们是我的朋友 我喜欢你们
but you’re folks like us and l like you.
我们不会说出去的 谢谢
We won’t tell who told. Thank you.
-好 -架也不会打起来的
-All right. -There ain’t gonna be no fight either.
(“她会从山边来”演奏)
(“She’ll be Comin’Round the Mountain”)
-晚上好 谁邀请你们的 -布朗夫妇
-Evening. Who did you say invited you? -Mr and Mrs Brown.
进来 兄弟们