I heard your mom’s message on the machine.
有什么事吗
Something goin’ on?
我妈妈还是那样
It’s just mom bein’ mom.
不管发生什么 千万别让步
You know, whatever they want, please don’t give in.
离开他们以后你过得好多了
You’ve been so much better without them.
有吗
Have I?
我们在一起很久了
We’ve been a team for so long,
谁付出了什么真的很难说
It’s hard to tell who does what anymore.
不过奥利的确是个工匠高手
But Ollie’s always been a master craftsman.
我是个注重视觉的人
And I’m more of a visual person.
维可是个货真价实的艺术家
Vi’s the real artist of the operation.
我的活就是保证你坐下的时候椅子别塌了
I just make sure they don’t fall apart when you sit down.
我们在你们这个年纪的时候
But when we were your age,
从没想过未来会发生什么
We didn’t think any of this was going to happen.
我们觉得未来的日子
We’d have been fine making chairs
就是在这个狭小的车间里制♥造♥椅子
Out of a tiny garage for the rest of our lives.
做能让你自己开心的事
Just do what makes you happy.
它们可能会赚钱 也可能不会
You may make some money at it, you might not.
只要做自己开心的事 无论什么都不重要
Don’t matter either way if you’re doin’ what you love.
你呢 珍妮特
And what about you, Jeannette?
你现在做的是你自己一直喜欢的吗
Is this what you’ve always wanted to do?
实际上… 不是
Uh… no, actually.
我曾经学过政♥治♥学
I was once a political science major.
我一直想写一些有所影响的文章
I was very eager to write stories that actually matter.
你的文章影响了我
Your stories matter to me.
谢谢
Thank you.
我也不知道 我就是觉得…
I don’t know, it’s just…
我最后不应该是现在的处境
This is not where I thought that I was gonna end up.
可能你还没走到最后
Well, maybe you’re not at the end yet.
珍妮特的爸爸正在研发一种技术
Jeannette’s dad is developing a technology to burn
让低劣的沥青煤炭更有效地燃烧
Low-grade bituminous coal more efficiently.
听起来真棒 你♥爸♥爸现在在哪
Well, isn’t that nice. Where is your dad now?
抱歉 失陪一下好吗
I’m sorry. Would you excuse me for a second?
好了 感觉怎么样
There. How’s that feel?
好丑啊爸爸 我看起来像个魔鬼
It’s so ugly, daddy. I look like the demon.
听着 你一点都不丑 知道吗
Hey, there’s nothin’ ugly about you, you hear me?
我保证 有一天你会发现这些伤疤
One day, I promise you, you’re gonna look at this
在诠释着你有多坚强
As just another sign of how strong you are.
你姓沃尔斯 你是我的小山羊
You’re a Walls, mountain goat.
我们不是普通人
We ain’t like other people.
我们的肚子里燃烧着火焰
We got a fire burnin’ in our bellies.
这些该死的伤疤就是证据
And that there is goddamn proof of it.
现在…
Now…
这个刀就是专门用来捕获魔鬼的
This knife is specially designed to hunt demons.
它非常的锋利
It’s very sharp.
没看到魔鬼前不要拿出来
Don’t take it out unless you see him.
你晚上的时候可以拿着它
You can borrow it for the night.
所有的魔鬼都是一样的
You know, all monsters are the same.
它们就会吓唬人类
They like to frighten people,
但当你直视它们的时候
But the minute you stare ’em down,
它们就会闪躲逃跑
They turn tail and run.
我爱你 小山羊
I love you, mountain goat.
我父母住在下东区
My parents are squatting
一间废弃的楼里
In an abandoned building on the lower east side.
珍妮特…
Jeannette…
他们住在那之前流浪了三年
They were homeless for three years before that,
很难想象他们怎么抚养的我们
Which is pretty much how they raised us.
我爸爸根本就不懂
My dad is not developing
让沥青煤炭充分燃烧的技术
A technology for bituminous coal,
但他会告诉你一切
But he could tell you anything
那些你想知道的事
That you want to know about it.
他是我见过最聪明的人
He is the smartest man that I know.
他也是个酒鬼
He is also a drunk,
他总是半途而废 有时很无情
Never finishes what he starts, and can be extremely cruel.
但他拥有着常人没有的梦想
But he dreams bigger than anyone I’ve ever met.
他只做真实的自己
And he never tries to be somebody that he’s not.
他也一直这么要求我
And he never wanted me to, either.
抱歉 我得走了
I’m sorry, but I have to leave.
去吧
Go.
准备好去抓魔鬼了吗
You ready to go get that demon?
我们走
Let’s go!
我出去透透气 你们聊吧
I’ll go get some air. Leave you to it.
爸爸
Hey, dad.
你还记得那年
Do you remember when those grape-pickers
加利弗利亚的葡萄采摘员罢♥工♥
In California went on strike,
葡糖酒庄老板不得不卖♥♥掉所有东西
And the vineyards had to sell everything
一磅葡萄才五美分吗
For a nickel a pound?
你装了一车 满满的
You stuffed the car so full
我们都看不到窗外了
We couldn’t see out the windows.
布莱恩两周后在他口袋里还发现了几个
Brian found some in his pocket two weeks later
都变成葡萄干了
That had turned into raisins.
还记得那次 你让我把动物园的猎豹当宠物养吗
Or when you let me pet that cheetah at the zoo?
她在舔你手上的爆米花黄油
She was lickin’ that popcorn butter off your hand.
其他父母简直想把我的脑袋砍掉
Those other parents wanted to chop my head off.
他们只是嫉妒
They were just jealous.
还记得你自己做的背带吗
Remember when you made your own braces?
真是个伟大的杰作
They were a goddamn feat of engineering genius.
是一个衣架和橡皮筋做的
It was a hanger and a rubber band.
还好很管用
Well, by god, it worked.
多么伟大的发明
Look at those gorgeous choppers.
妈妈说你最近不怎么说话
Mom says you haven’t been talkin’ lately.
我想花点时间去思考
Sort of takin’ some time to think.
给你
Here.
这是什么
What’s this?
你从八年级开始写的每一个故事
It’s every story you’ve written since eighth grade.
我想也许你能为我继续写下去
Thought maybe you could start addin’ to it for me.
我花了一生的时间
I spent my whole life
在野外寻找那些魔鬼
Huntin’ for those demons in the wild.
而其实它们
And the entire time
就藏在我的身体里
They were hidin’ inside my own belly.
这真让人难过
Sad state to spend your life in,
我一生都在害怕面对自己
Bein’ afraid of your own self.
我知道…
I know it…
孩子们都很不好过
Wasn’t easy on you kids.
我对自己的一生很后悔
Got a lot to regret about my life.
爸爸…
Dad…
永远不要忘记
Never forget
你是多么的漂亮 小山羊
How beautiful you are, mountain goat.
多么的聪明…
And smart…
有创造力 坚强
And creative and strong…
你太坚强了
You’re so strong.
任何小女孩都没有你这么坚强
No little girl should ever have
你背负着自己父亲的重任
To carry her daddy on her back.
你一点都不像我 小山羊
You ain’t like me at all, mountain goat.
你无所畏惧
You’re not afraid.
我像你
I am like you.
能像你我很高兴
And I’m glad.
我们一起度过了很多快乐的时光 不是吗
We had some good times, didn’t we?
玻璃城♥堡♥始终没有建成
Never did build that glass castle.
是的
No.
但我们至少一起快乐地计划过
But we had a good time plannin’ it.
感恩节快乐
Hi! Happy Thanksgiving.
感恩节快乐 真香啊
Happy Thanksgiving. Something smells good!
自♥由♥作家的工作如何
How’s life as a freelancer?
我正在慢慢适应
I’m still gettin’ used to it.
是吗 你还想回到没钱的日子吗
Yeah? you like bein’ poor again?
行了 布莱恩
Thanks, Brian.
小心点抱我的孩子
Careful with my child. Hey.
莫林…
Maureen…
我喜欢这个新家
I like the new place.
加利弗利亚怎么样