That has provided us with much amusement.
我们对此也有很大的兴趣
Sorry?
什么
Herr Vanger has little love for Wennerstrom either.
亨利·范耶尔对温纳斯壮也心存芥蒂
Have him call me.
请让他打给我
But, he’d like to meet in person,
不过他想见面谈
If possible. Up north. In Hedestad.
如果方便请北上 来赫德史塔
That’s not gonna be possible.
那不太可能
Herr Vanger is far too old to make a trip to Stockholm,
亨利·范耶尔身体老迈 无法来斯德哥尔摩
Please. If you’d be so kind as to consider.
拜托 望您认真考虑
Hedestad is lovely in winter.
赫德史塔的冬季很美
I’ll call you back on this number. Okay?
稍后我回你这个号♥码 好吗
Usually when I wake up in a cold bed, it’s at home.
通常在自己家 我醒来才会感觉床很冷
I’m Sorry. What are you doing?
对不起 你干什么呢
Writing the press release.
写声明稿
Saying…
内容是…
You’re taking over as publisher.
你将接手发行管理工作
You’re sorry for any nuisance Wennerstrom was caused.
向温纳斯壮诉讼造成的不愉快致歉
I can’t be reached for comment.
我暂时无法发表意见
Are you giving up? Just stepping aside.
你要放弃吗 暂避风头罢了
This makes me sick.
你真让我难过
First time in Hedestad? And the last.
头回来赫德史塔吗 也是最后一次
Oh, don’t say that. It’s lovely in the spring.
可别下定论 这里春天很美
You said it was lovely in winter.
你说这里冬天很美
Well, this is unseasonable.
今年气候反常
I’ll be on the 4:30 train back to Stockholm.
我赶四点半的火车回斯德哥尔摩
Unless we get snowed in … I’m joking.
除非我们被大雪所困 开个玩笑
You’ll be home tonight, if that’s what you wish.
今晚你可以回家 假如你执意如此
Welcome. Come inside.
欢迎 里边请
It’s warm.
里面暖和
How do you do?
你好
So…
好了
What do you know about me?
你对我有什么了解吗
That you used to run one of
您曾经掌管
the biggest industrial firms in the country.
全瑞典最大的产业集团
Used to. That’s correct. Right, I didn’t mean to…
曾经 说得对 我不是有意…
My grandfather forged the
我的祖父锻造钢轨
tracks the 4:30 train will take you home.
让你坐上四点半那趟火车回家
We stitched this country together. We made the steel
我们曾经冶炼钢铁 把全国连在了一起
and milled the lumber that built modern Sweden.
加工木材 铸就了当代瑞典
And what our most profitable product now is?
那如今我们利润最高的又是什么
Fertilizer.
化肥
I’m not obsessed with the declining health of the company,
我不纠结于公♥司♥的每况愈下
but I am with the settling of accounts
但有些事我必须有个了断
and the clock is ticking. I need your help.
时间紧迫 我需要你的帮助
Doing… Doing what?
帮…帮什么
Officially, assisting me with my memoirs.
明面上 帮我整理回忆录
But what you’d really be doing…
但真正要你做的是
is solving a mystery. And by doing what you do so well.
解开一个谜团 依靠你的强项
Your recent legal mishap of yours notwithstanding.
尽管最近你官司缠身
You’d be investigating thieves, misers, bullies,
你要调查窃贼 吝啬鬼 恶棍
the most detestable collection of people you’ll ever meet …
最为可憎的各色人等
my family.
我的家族
Would you like to sit?
坐吗
I could possibly clear a place if necessary.
要是需要我给你腾块地方
Did you make it? Have you something for me?
弄好了吗 有我的吗
I’m on welfare; I don’t administer it.
我是领救济金的 又不是发救济金的
This isn’t enough.
这钱不够
No, ‘thank you’
不来句谢谢吗
This is Harriet.
这是海莉
The grandaughter of my brother Richard.
我哥哥理查德的孙女
Richard, was a Nazi of the first order,
理查德曾是个纳粹头子
joining the Nationalist Socialist Freedom League
17岁那年加入了
when he was 17.
瑞典国家社会自♥由♥联盟
Isn’t it interesting how
真是可笑
fascists always steal the word “Freedom”.
纳粹党人总会采用”自♥由♥”一词
The 4:30. Yes. Okay…
噢 四点半了 没事
Anyway, Richard died a martyr to the Nazi, ’cause in 1940,
总之 1940年理查德成了纳粹的殉道者
missed all the real excitement,
错过了之后的”大事件”
but not the opportunity to regularly beat his wife Margareta…
但对其妻玛格丽塔的家庭暴♥力♥却一点没落
and their son, Gottfried.
还有他们的儿子戈弗里
Now, Gottfried, Harriet’s father, was what people used to call
戈弗里就是海莉的父亲 过去常被人称作
a GoodTimeCharlie. They’re still called that.
“寻欢查理” 人们还在这么叫
Are they? Okay.
是吗 挺好的
He was a charmer, a ladies man, and a drunk.
他相貌英俊 有女人缘 嗜酒成性
In other words, a born salesman,
另一角度来说 也是天生的推销大王
which is what he did for the company,
主要就他对公♥司♥的贡献而言
traveling around, taking clients out to dinner and so forth.
四处奔波 带着客户花天酒地这套
Well, Somebody has to do it. That’s right.
总得有人做这些 没错
Anyway, he died in 1965.
不管怎样 1965年他还是死了
Drowned. Drunk. Here on the island.
淹死的 酒后 就在这个岛上
His wife Isabella,
他妻子叫伊莎贝拉
who was pretty much useless as a parent before,
之前就没个当妈的样子
became even more so after his death,
丈夫死后愈加不可收拾了
which is when I began looking after their children,
也就从那时起我开始照顾他们的孩子
Martin, who runs Vanger Industries now that I’m retired, That’s right.
马丁在我退休后接管了范耶尔企业 明白
I’ve been with him, and Harriet.
我们曾住一起 还有海莉
She was bright and curious, a winning combination in any person.
敏而好学 栋梁之材
And beautiful. Yeah.
而且漂亮 是的
Something happened to her?
她发生了什么事
Someone in the family murdered Harriet.
家族里有人把她杀了
And for the last forty years has been trying to drive me insane.
40年了 我被折磨得近乎疯癫
It was September 24th, 1966. A Saturday.
那是1966年9月24日 一个星期六
Harriet was 16.
海莉16岁
My brothers, along with their wives,
我的一干兄弟携妻带子
children and grandchildren,
还有孙子孙女
had all gathered here
齐聚这里
for our loathsome annual board meeting and dinner.
参加那无聊的年度股东盛宴
It was also the day the Yacht Club held its Autumn parade.
那天正好也是游艇俱乐部秋季游♥行♥的日子
Harriet and a couple of
海莉和几个同学
school friends had gone into town to see it.
进城去观看
She returned a little after two o’clock.
她是两点多一点回来的
She came to the parlor. She asked if she could talk to me.
然后她来到客厅 问我是否有空谈谈
I honestly don’t remember what I was doing
坦白讲 我都忘了当时在做什么
that I thought was more important,
当时认为是挺重要的事
but I told her to give me a few minutes.
于是对她说等几分钟
It was during those few minutes, that something else occurred.
可偏在那几分钟 就出了事
The accident had nothing to do with Harriet
事情和海莉没有直接关系
and yet, everything.
却又环环相扣
It was chaos as everyone put down what they were doing.
混乱迫使每个人都放下了手头的事情
Police, an ambulance, fire brigade,
警♥察♥ 救护车 消防队
reporter, photographer and onlookers quickly arrived from town,
记者 摄影师 看热闹的从城里蜂拥而至
just as those of us on the island,
我们岛上这帮人
the family, hurried to the bridge from our side.
家族的人 也从自己这里冲向了桥边
The driver of the car, a man named Aronsson,
那个司机叫做阿朗松
was pinned and severely injured.
被卡在车内 伤势严重
We tried desperately to pry him
我们拼命想用手把他弄出来
out with our hands, since metal tools could spark.
因为金属工具可能溅出火星
It was an hour after the crash, Harriet was in the kitchen.
车祸发生一小时 海莉还在厨房♥
Anna herself saw her.
安娜亲眼看到了她
We finally got poor Aronsson out of his car
最终我们把可怜的阿朗松从车里弄了出来
and off to the hospital,
送去了医院
Just as we from our side slowly drifted back to the house.
在我们慢慢悠悠返回房♥子之时
The sun was down, the excitement over,
夕阳西下 风平浪静
we sat down to dinner.
我们坐下开始用餐
It was then, that I noticed Harriet wasn’t there.
可就在那时 我注意到海莉并没在场
And she wasn’t there the next morning. Or the next.
第2天早上她也没有出现 第3天也是
Or the next forty years.
她这一消失就是40年
What was she going to tell me?
她那时要和我说什么
Why didn’t I make time for her?
我♥干♥嘛不给她挤出点时间
Why didn’t I listen?
为什么不听听她说什么

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!