现在不行
No, you can’t.
在多塞特郡狩猎得如何 查尔斯
How goes the hunting in Dorset, Charles?
猎犬如何
And how go you for hounds?
我可以给你一对诺森伯兰郡最好的猎犬 真正的天使
I could offer you a brace of the best Northumberland.
你知道是谁饲养的猎犬吗
Real angels. Do you know who their grandpapa was?
是托纳多
Tornado.
你记得剑桥的托纳多吗 – 记得 还有我的脚踝
You recall Tornado at Cambridge? – Yes. So do my ankles.
他挺喜欢你的 他一直很喜欢你
Aye, he took a fancy to you. Always– Always bit what he loved.
这个主意多好啊 查尔斯
What a profoundly good idea this was, Charles.
敬亲爱的老托纳多 愿他的灵魂安息
To dear old Tornado. God rest his soul.
愿他的灵魂安息
Rest his soul.
好极了
Bravo.
排骨需要配红葡萄酒来消化
Port is essential to wash down the claret.
红葡萄酒需要配潘趣酒来消化
As claret was essential to wash down the punch.
潘趣酒需要配香槟来消化
As punch was essential to sluice the champagne.
接下来呢
What follows?
接下来呢
What follows?
然后去驱车兜风一下 这是最不可或缺的
A little drive round town follows. That most essentially follows.
汤姆 我亲爱的老家伙 你是个他妈的好家伙
Tom, dear old fellow, you’re a damn good fellow.
你也是 查尔斯老兄
Yes, so are you, my Charley boy.
我们都是他妈的好家伙
We’re all damn good fellas.
我们走吧 先生们
On we go, gentlemen.
我们要去哪里
Where are we going?
所有他妈的好家伙去夜晚狂欢的地方
Where all damn good fellows go for a jolly night out.
我们去凯蒂汉弥顿那里 愿上帝祝福她
We’re going to Kate Hamilton’s. Bless her heart.
主教的儿子要去玩乐 查尔斯
The bishop’s son has hit it, Charley.
但不要告诉他的老爸
But not a word to his old man.
哦… 嘿嘿…
Oh, oh! Hey, hey, hey.
站稳
stand firm.
来吧 先生 走好…
Come along, sir. Be upstand–
喔 他就位了 – 白旗升起 他们出发了
Ah, he’s at the post. – Right. Right. They’re off.
稳定 稳定 就是这样
Steady. Steady. There he goes.
下移 他在跑道上 脱离跑道了
Moving down. At the rails. At the rails.
天啊 哦 – 耶
Oh, my God! Oh! – Yay!
我想查尔斯今晚哪里也去不成了
I don’t think our dear Charley is going anywhere tonight, old boy.
你
Do you?
蒙塔吉先生给史密森先生的信
This come from Mr. Montague, for Mr. Smithson.
多谢
Thank you very much.
查尔斯先生
Mr. Charles.
查尔斯先生
Mr. Charles.
先生
Sir.
你有信 先生
A letter for you, sir.
蒙塔吉先生派专人送来的
Special messenger just come from Mr. Montague.
端茶来
Uh, bring me some tea.
恩迪科特家庭旅馆 爱塞特
我们之间不可以有更进一步的联♥系♥
什么事 山姆
What is it, Sam?
我想要你给我意见 先生
I’d like your advice, sir.
关于什么
On what subject?
我想做生意…在适当的时候
My ambition is to go into business, sir, in due course.
做生意 – 是的 先生
Business? – Yes, sir.
哪种生意
What kind of business?
布料和男性服装用品
Drapers and haberdashers.
我看中了一家小店
I’ve set me heart on a little shop.
那需要很多钱吧
Would that not be a somewhat costly undertaking?
280英镑 先生
£280, sir.
你有多少钱
And how much do you have put by?
积蓄了三年才30英镑
Thirty pounds, but that’s three years’ saving.
我在想你能否帮我 先生
So I was wondering if you could help me, sir.
我认为这不太切合实际 山姆
I can’t say it sounds a very practical idea to me, Sam.
我非常希望能够成事 先生
I’m very enthusiastic about the idea myself, sir.
非常
Very.
我会考虑
Well, I’ll think about it.
我会很乐意考虑
I’ll certainly be happy to think about it.
现在去收拾行李吗 我们要去莱姆
Now, pack, would you? We’re going to Lyme.
去莱姆 先生 – 是的
To Lyme, sir? – To Lyme, yes.
爱塞特 爱塞特
Exeter. Exeter.
从这里换车到 埃克斯茅斯 韦茅斯和莱姆
Change here now for Exmouth, Weymouth and Lyme.
到莱姆的马车吗 先生
Carriage to Lyme, sir?
我们在这里过夜 快下雨了
I think we’d better stay the night. It’s going to rain.
我们在西普旅馆投宿
We’ll put up at the Ship.
我去伸展一下双腿
I’m going to stretch my legs.
我该叫晚餐吗 先生
Shall I order dinner, sir?
我到了之后再决定
I’ll decide when I come in.
要房♥间吗 先生
A room, sir?
不 我…
Eh, no. I–
我要找你们一位房♥客… – 伍德拉夫小姐
I should like to speak to one of your– a Miss Woodruff.
喔 那位可怜的小姐
Oh, the poor young lady, sir.
她昨天早上不慎在楼梯滑倒
She was a-coming downstairs yesterday morning, and she slipped, sir.
摔伤了脚踝
She turned her ankle terrible.
我想叫医生 但她不愿意
Well, I wanted to ask a doctor, but she won’t hear of it.
我想找她…有点公事
I have to see her on a– a business matter.
你是律师吗
Ah. A gentleman of the law?
是的
Yes.
那你必须上去 – 谢谢你
Then you must go up, sir. – Thank you.
贝蒂安
Betty Anne!
带这位先生去伍德拉夫小姐的房♥间
Take this gentleman to Miss Woodruff’s room.
请进
Come in.
有位先生找你 小姐
A gentleman to see you, miss.
我路过爱塞特
I was passing through Exeter.
我去找医生来看你好吗
Had I not better go at once and fetch a doctor?
他也只会建议我做我已经在做的事
He would only advise me to do what I’m already doing.
你不痛吗
You’re not in pain?
不痛
No.
幸好这不是发生在安德克立夫崖
At any rate, be thankful it didn’t happen on the Undercliff.
没错
Yes.
请坐
Do sit down.
伍德拉夫小姐 拜托…
Miss Woodruff, please.
我不该来的
I should not have come.
我并不是想…
I meant not to.
我以为再也见不到你了
I thought I should never see you again.
喔 莎拉
My dearest Sarah.
我是…第一个吗
I was… the first?
是的
Yes.
你为何说了那个法国男人的谎话呢
Why did you lie to me about the Frenchman?
我不知道
I don’t know.
他确实存在吗
Does he exist?
是的 他的确存在
Oh, yes, he exists.
我的确跟随他去了韦茅斯 去了旅馆
I did follow him to Weymouth, to the inn.
当我接近时 我看见他和一个女人出来
As I drew near, I saw him come out with a woman.
我能看出她是哪种女人
The kind of woman one cannot mistake.
他们走了之后…我就离开了
When they had gone, I walked away.
那么…你为什么说…
But then… why did you tell–
我不知道
I don’t know.
我无法解释
I cannot explain.
现在不能
Not now.
我必须解除婚约 – 全是我的过错
I must make myself free. – I ask nothing of you.
我来的时候就知道了
I am to blame. I knew when I came here.
是我希望那样做的
I wished it so.
这样就行
I wished it so.
莎拉…
Sarah.
多么甜美的名字
It is the sweetest name.
我一直在想像这一天
I have long imagined a day such as this.
我一直在期待
I have longed for it.
从我见到你的那一刻我就迷失了
I was lost from the moment I saw you.
我也是
I too.
我必须去莱姆…
I must go to Lyme…
去见她 去告诉她
to see her, to tell her.
你必须给我一天时间
You must give me a day’s grace.
你会等我 不是吗
You will wait for me, won’t you?
我会回来找你
I shall come back for you.