是的
Yes, it is obvious.
你为何不去伦敦过新生活
Why don’t you go to London, make a new life?
如果我去伦敦 我知道我会变成怎样
If I went to London, I know what I should become.
我会变成莱姆有些人已经称呼我的
I should become what some already call me in Lyme.
亲爱的伍德拉夫小姐 – 我很脆弱 我怎会不知道呢
My dear Miss Woodruff– – I am weak. How should I not know it?
我有罪
I have sinned.
你无法想像我所受的苦
You cannot imagine my suffering.
我只在睡觉时才能安乐
My only happiness is when I sleep.
我醒来时恶梦就开始了
When I wake, the nightmare begins.
这是…
This is–
我怎么是我
Why am I born what I am?
我怎么不是费里曼小姐
Why am I not born Miss Freeman?
这种问题最好不要问 – 我的意思不是…
That question were better not asked. – I did not mean–
嫉妒是可以理解的 – 不是嫉妒
Envy is understandable. – Not envy.
而是不理解
Incomprehension.
你得帮我 – 我没有能力帮你
You must help me. – It is not in my power to help you.
我不…我不相信
I do not– I will not believe that.
你想要我怎么做
What in heaven’s name do you want of me?
我要把我十八个月前的真正遭遇告诉你
I must tell you what really happened to me 18 months ago.
我求你 你是我唯一的希望
I beg of you, you are my only hope.
我明天下午会在安德克立夫崖等你
I shall be on the Undercliff tomorrow afternoon and the next afternoon.
我会等你
I shall wait for you.
我得走了
I must go.
我会等你
I shall wait.
大卫
Davide?
我不是大卫 是麦克
No, it’s not Davide. It’s Mike.
你在干什么
What are you doing?
看你
Looking at you.
到床上来
Come back.
快到床上来
Come back. Come.
你喜欢我的望远镜吗
Do you approve of my telescope?
很精致
It is most elegant.
我用它来搜索美人鱼
I use it to keep an eye out for mermaids.
给你
Here.
很高兴你来访
I’m delighted you dropped in. It was time we met.
多塞特郡最好的白兰地
The best brandy in Dorset.
我留着给从伦敦来的访客 分享美好生活的滋味
I keep it for visitors from London who share a taste for the good life.
祝你健康 医生 – 祝你健康
Your good health, Doctor. – Yours.
要抽雪茄吗 – 谢谢
Care for a cheroot? – Thank you.
我知道你是…科学家
I understand you’re a– a scientist.
在寻找化石
A seeker after fossils.
我对古生物学很有兴趣
Paleontology is my interest.
我想这并不是你的兴趣
I gather it is not yours.
当我们更了解生者时 才会有时间去追踪死者
When we know more of the living, it will be time to pursue the dead.
是的 我最近听说的 一个本地居民的范例…
Yes, I was introduced the other day to a specimen of the local flora…
让我更加同意你的说法
that rather inclines me to agree with you.
就我所知 是一个非常奇怪的个案
A very strange case, as I understand it.
她姓伍德拉夫
Her name is Woodruff.
是的 她很悲惨
Ah, yes. “Poor Tragedy.” I’ll tell you something.
我们知道关于海滩化石的事
We know more about your fossils out there on the beach…
都比那位女子的内心世界还要多
than we do about that girl’s mind.
有一位名叫哈特曼的德国医生
There’s a German doctor called Hartmann…
将忧郁症分成几种不同的类型
who has recently divided melancholia into various types.
第一种他称为“天生的”
One he calls “natural”…
意思是某人生来就具有悲伤的气质
by which he means that one is born with a– a sad temperament.
第二种他称为“偶发的”
Another he calls “occasional”…
意思是发生于偶然的场合
by which he means springing from an occasion.
第三种他称为“难解的忧郁症”…
And the third class he calls “obscure melancholia”…
意思是他不知道是什么原因造成的
by which he really means “poor man, he doesn’t know what the devil it is that’s caused it.”
但她经历过一段伤心事 不是吗
But she had an occasion, did she not?
算了吧
Oh, come now.
她是第一位被抛弃的年轻女子吗
Is she the first young woman to be jilted?
不是的 她属于第三种:
No, no. She belongs to the third class.
“难解的忧郁症”
“Obscure melancholia.”
听我说
Listen to me.
我告诉你一个秘密
I’ll tell you in the strictest confidence.
十个月前我被叫去看她
I was called in to see her, oh, 10 months ago.
她自己一个人以裁缝为生
She was working as a seamstress, living by herself.
她无故哭泣
Well, hardly living– weeping without reason.
失眠 无法说话
Unable to sleep, unable to talk.
很显然是得了忧郁症
Melancholia as plain as the pox.
我看得出只有一种方法可以治疗她
I could see there was only one cure–
就是叫她离开这里
to get her away from this place.
但她不肯离开
But no, she wouldn’t have it.
她宁愿去过她所知道的悲惨生活…
She goes to a house that she knows is a living misery.
去投靠一位将仆人当成奴隶的女主人
To a mistress that doesn’t know the difference between a servant and a slave.
而且她不会离开
And she will not be moved.
这真令人费解 – 完全不会
But it’s incomprehensible. – Not at all.
哈特曼对他的一位病人 有些非常有趣的说法:
Hartmann has something very interesting to say about one of his patients.
“就好像她的折磨已经变成她的喜悦”
“It was as if her torture had become her delight.”
她没有对任何人透露她的心事吗
And she has confided the true state of her mind to no one?
她没有
She has not.
如果她肯呢
But if she did–
我是说 如果她能对别人倾诉呢
I mean, if she could bring herself to speak–
她就会痊愈
She would be cured.
但她并不想痊愈
But she does not want to be cured.
我那时担任家庭教师
I was working as a governess…
在托柏特家
at the Tabots.
他名叫瓦格纳
His name was Varguennes.
他发生船难之后被带到我主人家里
He was brought to the house after the wreck of his ship.
他受伤很严重
He had a dreadful wound.
他的身体从臀部到膝盖被撕裂了
His flesh was torn from his hip to his knee.
他虽然痛苦万分
He was in great pain.
却决不哀嚎
Yet he never cried out.
连最小声的呻♥吟♥都没有
Not the smallest groan.
我佩服他的勇气
I admired his courage.
我照顾他
I looked after him.
我那时不知道男人 可以兼具勇敢和虚伪
I did not know then that men can be both very brave and very false.
他很英俊
He was handsome.
从来没有一个男人
No man had ever paid me the kind of attentions he did, as he was…
像他这样注意到我
recovering.
他说我很美
He told me I was beautiful…
他不明白为何我还没结婚
and that he could not understand why I was not married.
如此之类的
Such things.
他会和我说笑
He would mock me.
舒畅
Lightly.
我乐在其中
I took pleasure in it.
当我不给他吻我的手时…他说我冷酷
When I would not let him kiss my hand, he called me cruel.
我也以为自己冷酷
A day came when I thought myself cruel as well.
而你不再…冷酷
And you were no longer… cruel.
瓦格纳康复了
Varguennes recovered.
他离开去了韦茅斯
He left for Weymouth.
他说他会在那里等待一星期 然后…航行到法国
He said that he would wait there one week and then… sail for France.
我告诉他我决不会跟他走…
I told him that I would never follow him…
我不能
that I could not.
但在他走了之后…
But after he had gone…
我的寂寞是如此之深…
my loneliness was so deep…
我感觉我会溺死在其中
I felt I would drown in it.
我跟着他
I followed him.
我去他住的旅馆找他
I went to the inn where he had taken a room.
我一眼就看出那不是体面的地方
It was not a respectable place. I knew that at once.
他们叫我直接上去他的房♥间
They told me to go up to his room.
他们看着我
They looked at me.
他们在笑
They smiled.
我坚持要人去找他来
I insisted he be sent for.
他似乎…很高兴见到我
He seemed overjoyed to see me.
他…表现出情人该有的样子
He was all that a lover should be.
我整天都还没吃东西
I had not eaten that day.
他带我去私人雅座点餐
He took me to a private sitting room, ordered food.
不过…
But…