So we decide to open up our own little stand,
所以我们决定开一家自己的小店
hot dogs and orange juice, in Arcadia.
一家在阿卡迪亚卖♥♥热狗和橙汁的小店
And it went okay. I mean we weren’t going gang-busters.
生意也还算过得去 我们并没有大卖♥♥特卖♥♥
There just weren’t enough people in Arcadia.
因为阿卡迪亚的人实在是太少了
Meanwhile, one town over is San Bernardino
与此同时 北面就是这个小镇 圣贝纳迪诺
and we want to relocate, but we got no money for a new stand.
我们想搬到这 但没有足够的资金买♥♥一家新店
And that’s when my brother here
然后我弟弟有办法了
comes up with one of his brilliant ideas. Tell him, Dick.
他想出了一个棒极了的主意 告诉他吧 迪克
Well…
就是…
He says, why don’t we move the stand we’ve got.
他说 “我们为什么不直接把现有的店搬过去
Put it on a truck. Genius, right.
运到卡车上拉过去” 太天才了 对吧
Only there’s one little problem.
只是还有一个小问题
On the road between the two towns, there’s an overpass.
连通两个小镇的路上有一座天桥
And the building won’t clear.
我们的店没办法通过
Now I figure that’s it, we’re done for.
我当时就想 就这样吧 我们算了吧
But then Dick says, “Why don’t we saw the building in half?”
但是迪克却说 “为什么不把店锯成两半呢”
Saw it in half…
锯成两半
Come on.
别卖♥♥关子啊
So we’ve moved the restaurant we’re setting up shop.
于是我们把店搬了过去 又盖了起来
But now we want to do a few tweaks,
但我们想做一点改进
because now it’s 1940.
因为是1940年嘛
And drive-ins are all the rage.
汽车餐馆正风靡一时
I mean, they are the hottest thing going,
简直是当时最火的了
and I say, “Dick we gotta get in on this.”
然后我就说 “迪克 我们得改成这样”
And Dick says, “Okay”.
然后迪克说 “好”
And two months later we open for business…
两个月后 我们开张了
McDonald’s famous barbecue.
麦当劳著名的烤肉开卖♥♥了
27 item menu.
菜单上有二十七种食物
Uniformed waitresses bring your food right to the car.
穿着制♥服♥的女服务员直接把食物拿到车旁
And it goes gang-busters. We’re going great guns.
生意简直火爆极了 我们卖♥♥得都要上天了
But then sales start to level off.
但是接下来 生意开始下滑了
The drive-in model as we learned,
我们学来的汽车餐馆模式
has a few builtin problems. Tell me about it.
有几个内在的问题 说来听听
For starters, there’s the customer issue.
首先 是客源的问题
Drive-in’s tend to attract, shall we say,
可以说 汽车餐馆吸引来的
a less than desirable clientele.
并不是很理想的客户
Teenagers. Hot rodders and hooligans.
青少年 都是开着改装老爷车的小流氓
Juvenile delinquents in blue jeans.
穿着牛仔裤的少年犯
And then there’s the service.
然后还有服务的问题
It takes forever and a day for your food to arrive.
等待食物的时间无比漫长
And when it finally does… It’s usually wrong.
终于等到了… 通常也都不对
Yeah. The carhops are too busy dodging gropes to remember
是啊 侍者们都忙着躲避咸猪手以至于记不住
that you wanted strawberry phosphate, not cherry.
你要的是草莓味汽水 而非樱桃味的
Well, that’s if they remember at all.
好歹她们还记得是汽水
And then, there’s the expenses. The huge payroll.
然后还有费用的问题 巨额的工资单
Due to the large staff required.
因为需要大量员工
Dishes constantly getting broken or stolen.
碟子不断被打碎 要不就是被偷
Tremendous overhead.
巨大的开销
So one day, Dick has a realization.
所以一天 迪克突然意识到
He sees that the bulk of our sales are only in three items.
我们卖♥♥得最多的只有三种食物
Hamburgers. French fries. Soft drinks.
汉堡 薯条和软饮料
Eighty-seven percent.
共占百分之八十七
So we say to ourselves let’s focus on what sells.
所以我们对自己说 专注于真正卖♥♥价的商品吧
And that’s exactly what we do.
然后我们也正是那么做的
Brisket gone. Tamales gone.
牛胸肉不卖♥♥了 玉米粉蒸肉也不卖♥♥了
But we don’t stop there.
但我们并没有止步于此
We look at everything.
我们把每一种都考虑了一遍
What else don’t we need?
还有哪些是我们不需要的
Turns out quite a lot.
事实证明还有好多
Carhops.
侍者们
Walk up to a window, get the food yourself.
走到窗边 自己拿食物
Dishes… All paper packaging.
盘子 全都采用纸袋包装
Disposable. Cigarette machines, jukeboxes.
用完即丢 自动售烟机 自动点唱机
Drive out the riff-raff.
把地痞流氓赶走
Creating a family friendly environment here.
创造一个适宜家庭的舒适环境
But that’s not enough. Alright.
那也还不够 好吧
Our whole lives we’d piggybacked off other people’s ideas.
我们这一生都在借用其他人的想法
We wanted something that wasn’t just different.
我们需要的不仅仅是与众不同
It had to be better. It needed to be ours.
我们要更优秀 要独一无二
And that’s what brings us to the biggest cut of all.
这让我们做了一个最重要的缩减
Which was?
什么
The wait. Orders ready in 30 seconds.
出餐时间 要在三十秒内出餐
Not 30 minutes. Mecca.
而非三十分钟 令众人喜欢
We looked at each other one night.
我们面面相觑了一晚上
You thinking what I’m thinking?
我们想到一起了吧
We’re going to have to tear down, rebuild.
我们必须要拆除 重建
Reconfigure. Rethink the whole damn thing.
重新配置 重新思考整个项目
We’re talking about shutting down
我们考虑将一个蒸蒸日上的店铺
a thriving business for months.
关闭整改几个月
People are going to think we’re crazy.
大家会觉得我们疯了
We were crazy.
我们当时的确疯了
And you are going to love how we did it.
你一定会为我们的做法拍手称赞
Dick, you gotta tell him.
迪克 你来告诉他
The tennis court?
网球场吗
He brings me out to this tennis court.
他带我去了一个网球场
And he’s drawn this line,
精确地在地面上
the exact dimensions of our kitchen.
画出我们厨房♥的格局
Sink on the right. Extruder on the left.
水槽在右边 挤出器在左边
Bagging and hood. Hood.
装袋和打包 打包
Garnish Garnish.
配菜区 配菜区
This is burger finish. Got it.
这里是汉堡成品区 好了
And this is burger slide.
这里放汉堡滑道
We could just move those.
这些都可以移走
Okay. Multi mixer, soft drinks.
好了 多轴搅拌器 软饮料
We bring out our whole staff and we have them go through
我们把所有员工都叫了过去 模拟工作场景
the motions, making pretend burgers and fries.
让他们假装制♥作♥汉堡和薯条
Alright Steve, anticipate that.
好了 史蒂夫 你要预想到这点
You gotta keep the tray level.
把托盘平举
And Dick is running around with this stick
迪克就拿着棍子走来走去
marking where all the equipment should be.
标记各种设备的位置
Tuck in. Tony are you going to skip the pickles
食材塞好 托尼 等到实战的时候
when we’re really doing it?
你会不会忘记放腌黄瓜
They do it over and over, hashing it out.
就这样翻来覆去 发现并解决问题
Choreographing it like some crazy burger ballet.
就像编排疯狂的汉堡芭蕾舞一样
What’s going on over there?
那边什么情况
Yes!
正确
No!
不对
No!
不对
Everybody stop! Stop!
全部停手 停下来
Garnish one. Garnish two.
一号♥配菜 二号♥配菜
You’ve got pickles, you’ve got onions.
你们要放腌黄瓜和洋葱
It’s a goddamn hamburger.
你做的是汉堡
Come on, clear off. Let’s clear off.
好了 全部清场 大家清场
It’s time for the pink chalk.
这次用粉色粉笔
And then root beer, orange.
这里放根汁汽水和橙汁
See all this open space here now?
看到这边的开放空间了吗
We’ve rearranged the fry situation.
我们把炸薯条换了位置
So now it’s stage left. The deep fryer stage right.
现在放在操作间左边 油炸机在操作间右边
Begin! That’s great.
重新开始 很好
Come on, guys. We’re pretty tied up here.
大家加油 我们很赶时间
Watch out, it’s the timing of the lazy-Susan.
小心 主要是旋转台的时间控制
Those are finished burgers. You can’t…
这边是汉堡成品 你不能…
Hold it.
暂停
I still think there’s a third version.
我还是坚信有更好的方案
What do you want to move? I want to move everything.
你想移♥动♥哪台设备 所有的
Back to stage left, please.
大家请回到操作间左边
We got it all drawn.
都画出来了
This is better.
这样更好
Is that alright?
可以吗
I think so.
应该没问题