但当我看到你的车在停车场时,他却有点紧张
But when I spotted your car in the parking lot, it made him kind of edgy.
埃弗里不太清楚我在哪里
Avery didn’t exactly know where I was.
可能以为你跟别个女人一起
Probably thought you were with another woman.
– 我去了看雷 – 雷?
– I went to see Ray. – Ray?
– 是的 – 就是那样,这么久之后
– Yeah. – Just like that. After all this time.
你说得对,我很愚蠢
You’re right. I’ve been stupid.
我在周六可以跟你去
I’d have gone with you on Saturday.
我没有想起
I know. God, I just wasn’t. . .I wasn’t thinking.
情况怎样?
How’d it go?
他想令我好过一点
He tried to make it easy for me.
他好吗?
Is he OK?
他一定要得到假释
He’s gotta get that parole.
你可想试一件事? 我们把书本弃掉
Do you want to try something? Let’s put the books away.
假装回到我们以前那间简陋的公♥寓♥,身无分文
Pretend we’re back in our old beat-up apartment, broke…
在口袋里找遗下来的钱
and we find some money we forgot in pockets.
– 叫薄饼外卖♥♥ – 喝啤酒
– We’ll send out for pizza… – …drink beer.
看 “巨星搜索” 。谁晓得日后会如何?
Watch “Star Search”. Who knows where it will lead?
– 你的老婆 – 她在克利夫兰
– Your wife. – She’s in Cleveland.
她说谎
She lies.
– 你不接电♥话♥的吗? – 你不敲门的吗?
– Don’t you answer your phone? – Don’t you knock?
你的秘书呢?
Where’s your secretary?
– 出去了 – 她留下了一支点着的香烟
– Out. – She left a cigarette burning.
她是那样的,一小时后回来预约吧
She does that. Come back in an hour and make an appointment.
– 干嘛要烦?我们都来了 – 我很忙
– Why bother? We’re here. – I’m busy.
– 忙什么? – 我在修脚甲
– Doing what? – I’m getting a pedicure.
关你何事?
What’s it to you?
这将会令你很糟糕
This is gonna turn out badly for you.
但我们可以做得没有痛楚。干嘛要查问有关死了的律师?
But we can make it painless. Why the questions about dead lawyers?
什么死了的律师?
What dead lawyers?
谁雇用你那样做?
Who hired you to do that?
好吧…
OK… OK.
让我想一下
Just let me think.
他是…乐坛天王
His name was Julio lglesias.
不…
No! No!
真好!
Great! Just great.
你还想问他几条问题吗?
You wanna ask him a few questions now?
(华盛顿税务学会)
我认为这是一份周详的建议书。我觉得它很高明
I think this is a carefully balanced proposal. I think it’s high-minded…
而且也很公正
and I think it’s fair-minded.
即是说,它有一些令所有人不快的东西
In other words, it’s got something in it to offend everyone.
若你们想探讨我的看法 ,我们从引书的第一页开始吧
If you want to follow along with me, we begin on page 1 of the Introduction.
翻阅1986年税局条例,第7046段…
We’ll review Section 704b of the lRS Code of 1986.
(本地私♥家♥侦♥探♥在办公室中枪死亡)
(午饭时坐穿梭车到映照池,林肯纪念堂)
(是时候要谈一下了,联邦密探韦恩·塔兰斯)
依据联营公♥司♥合伙人的利益,除非…
…in accordance with partners’ interests in the partnership, unless…
这些分配符合经济效益,而这些利益…
those allocations satisfy the economic effect most easily satisfied…
借着作出安全储备,就像容易达致…
by taking advantage of the safe harbour provisions set forth…
兄弟,走下梯级到池那边
Brother, go down the steps towards the pool.
兄弟,拿着吧
Here you go, brother.
“围墙之声”
‘Voices from the WalI”.
– 埃迪·罗马克斯是谁杀的? – 坐到长椅上那个男人旁边
– Who killed Eddie Lomax? – Sit next to the man on the bench.
麦克迪尔先生,很感谢你到来
I appreciate your coming, Mr. McDeere.
我叫你米奇吧
I’ll call you Mitch, if I may.
我叫沃利斯。丹顿·沃利斯
My name is Voyles. Denton Voyles.
是司法部人员
I’m with the Department of J ustice.
埃迪·罗马克斯发生了什么事?
What happened to Eddie Lomax?
我们调查了本迪尼-兰伯特&洛克律师行四年
We’ve been investigating Bendini, Lambert & Locke for 4 years.
从没有律师活着离开你的公♥司♥
No lawyer’s ever left your law firm alive.
有两个想离开就死了。两个准备离开的
Two tried to leave. They were killed. Two were about to try.
你知道发生了什么事
You know what happened.
我们相信你家里被装上偷听器
We have reason to believe that your house is bugged.
你几个电♥话♥和办公室也被人偷听
Your phones are tapped. Your office is wired.
他们可能跟踪你。我们交谈时,他们可能也在华盛顿
They may follow you. They may be here in D.C. as we speak.
– 你是否说我的生命… – 你知道,你的生命危在旦夕
– Are you saying my life is… – Your life, as you know it, is over.
你的律师行是唯一法律代表…
Your law firm is the sole legal representative…
芝加哥莫鲁图犯罪家族,也称为黑♥手♥党♥、黑帮
of the Morolto crime family in Chicago, known as the Mafia. The Mob.
– 我不相信 – 他们经营合法生意…
– I don’t believe it. – They set up legitimate businesses…
借贩毒、赌博和卖♥♥淫得来的肮脏钱
with dirty money from drugs, gambling, prostitution.
全都是调到海外的现金。你相信它吧
All cash, all moved offshore. You believe it.
因此你在开曼跟阿班克斯谈过
That’s why you talked to Abanks in the Caymans.
因此你叫埃迪·罗马克斯侦查,而令他遇害
That’s why you got Eddie Lomax asking questions that got him killed.
也许他们百分之三十的客户是合法的
Maybe 30%/ of their clients are legitimate.
他们聘用一个新丁,向他大洒金钱,买♥♥车,买♥♥♥房♥♥
They bring in a new rookie, throw money at him, buy the car, the house.
几年后,你的孩子们在私立学校念书
After a couple of years, your kids are in private school.
你习惯了过好生活时,他们便对你说出真♥相♥
When you’re used to the “good life”, they tell you the truth.
– 公♥司♥里每个合伙人…? – 公♥司♥里每个合伙人都知道
– Every partner in the firm–? – Every partner in the firm knows.
我们怀疑大部分的初级律师
We suspect most of the associates.
为何你们不提出起诉,把它一网打尽?
Why don’t you get indictments and bust it all up?
我们要找个内应
We have to have somebody on the inside.
我们要看到合约、客户银行记录、公♥司♥成立法规
We need to see contracts, clients’ bank records, articles of incorporation.
– 等一等,你以为我… – 你可以说不
– Wait a minute. You think l… – You can say no.
我们会捣破这间公♥司♥的。你会跟其他人一同入狱
We’re gonna break this firm. You’ll go to jail along with the rest.
这事会发生的,孩子。相信我吧
It’ll happen, son. Believe me.
– 为何我不能离开? – 科津斯基和霍奇斯试过了
– Why can’t I just leave? – Kozinski and Hodges tried to do that.
你考虑一下吧
You have to think this over.
与此同时,你和艾比要表现得一切如常
Meanwhile, you and Abby have to behave as if everything is normal.
别跟任何人讨论这件事,但要作个决定
Don’t discuss this with anyone. But make a decision.
你帮助我们,我们会令你物有所值
You help us. We’ll make it worth your while.
– 物有所值? – 你仍可以过好的生活
– Worth my while? – You can still have a good life.
你是说在保护证人计划之下?
You mean in a witness protection programme?
怎样?我要过着另一个人的生活?
How? I live somebody else’s life?
去个偏僻的地方?一天我开动汽车时它就爆♥炸♥?
Some nowhere place? One day I start my car and it explodes?
– 不必那个样子的 – 我不大要什么生活
– Doesn’t have to be that way. – I don’t need much of a life, Voyles…
– 但却要属于我的 – 你现在有吗?
– but it has to be mine. – Is that what you got now, son?
你要回到研讨会了。塔兰斯会代表我们谈判
You oughta get back to the seminar. Tarrance negotiates on our behalf.
你绕过纪念堂回去吧
Why don’t you wander back past the Memorial?
你可以在孟菲斯任何时间找我,你有我的手提电♥话♥号♥码
You can call me in Memphis any time day or night. You have my mobile.
让我弄清楚这件事。我从律师行偷取档案,
Let me get this straight. I steal files from the firm,
交给联邦调查局,指证我的同事,送他们进监狱
pass them to the FBI, testify against my colleagues. Send them to jail…
– 他们把你拖下水了 – 泄露享有特权的资料
– They suckered you into this. – …Reveal privileged information
违反律师与当事人之间的信任,令我吊销律师资格
that violates attorney-client confidences, get me disbarred…
再在公开法庭上指证黑♥手♥党♥
then testify in open court against the Mafia.
– 米奇,可惜… – 我问你一个问题
– Unfortunately, Mitch – Let me ask you something.
你们是发疯了吗?
Are you out of your fucking mind!?
他们要多久才发现埃迪·罗马克斯的狱友是雷·麦克迪尔?
How long before they find out Lomax’s cellmate was Ray McDeere?
他们知道后,你认为他们会怎样对他?
And when they do, what do you think they’ll do to him?
– 无论何处,他们谁也抓得到 – 你们可以做什么?
– They can get to anyone anywhere. – What can you do?
你的哥哥快将被假释,是吗?
Your brother comes up for parole soon, doesn’t he?
你跟我们合作,我保证委员会会很感激你
You cooperate with us, I’ll guarantee the board will be grateful.
否则…你也明白那些假释聆讯是怎样吧
Otherwise… You know what those parole hearings are like.
可以是模拟两可的
It could go either way.
不要回家,送我回公♥司♥
Forget about home, driver. Take me to the firm.
– 麦克迪尔先生,你不能进去 – 马上找所有的人!
– Mr. McDeere, you can’t go in. – Call everybody. Right now!
– 我在说长途电♥话♥,我有两… – 马上!
– I’m on overseas. I’ve got two… – Right now.
我刚与联邦调查局聊过
I just had a little chat with the FBI.
– 他们没有威迫你吗? – 没有
– They didn’t try to coerce you? – No.
– 他们没有给你钱? – 没有
– They didn’t offer you money? – No.
– 他们要你再联络他们吗? – 为什么?
– They want you to recontact them? – What for?
– 他们究竟要什么? – 那些秘密档案
– Exactly what did they want? – The secret files.
是谁最后用过那些秘密档案? 罗伊斯?
Who had those secret files last? Royce?
你用过?罗伊斯?
You have them, Royce?
– 我给了你的 – 没有
– I gave them to you. – No.
他们还说霍奇斯和科津斯基是被谋杀的
They also suggested that Hodges and Kozinski were murdered.
那些混♥蛋♥!
Those sons of bitches!
我们该提出控告。这简直是骚扰!
We ought to build a case and sue. This is pure harassment!
就是那样?
And that was it?
就是说了这些?
That was everything that was said?
据我记忆… 它不是一次连续的谈话
As far as I can remember… It wasn’t a sequential conversation.
– 夹杂着叫喊,大多是我的 – 米奇!
– There was yelling, mostly by me. – Mitch!
我们经常都跟政♥府♥对抗
We’re always doing battle with the government.
要不是司法部就是税局.我们每次都打赢他们!
If it isn’t the Justice Department, it’s the lRS. We beat them everytime!