你是说如果我们吵架,我也不用架长途车程
You mean if we fight, I don’t have far to drive.
对了
Exactly.
她从酒店打出两个电♥话♥
She made two phonecalls from the hotel.
一个给她的父母,一个给孟菲斯学校委员会
One to her parents and one to the Memphis School Board.
她好像有点勉强。我不想失去这个年轻人
She seemed a little reluctant. I’d hate to lose this young man.
– 我相信她会让步的。 – 科津斯基和霍奇斯又怎样?
– I think she’ll come around. – What about Kozinski and Hodges?
– 你跟芝加哥的人谈过没有? – 谈过
– Have you spoken to Chicago? – I have.
情况不妙,我们要想个办法
It’s not good. We’re gonna have to do something.
那些开心的面孔是我画的
I drew the happy faces.
孟菲斯在哪里?
Where’s Memphis?
– 就是这间? – 看来不一样
– Is that it? – It looks different.
比他们寄来的照片还更漂亮
It’s prettier than the pictures they sent.
“米奇和艾比,我们给你们暂时布置一下。”
“Mitch and Abby, we’ve furnished the house for you temporarily.”
“只是想你们感觉在家一样。希望你们不会介意”
“Just a few things to make you feel at home. Hope you don’t mind.”
艾比?
Abby?
– 不错吧? – 你的呢?
– Not bad, huh? – Where’s yours?
– 别起来 – 放心吧
– Don’t get up. – Don’t worry.
– 米奇·麦克迪尔 – 迫不及待上班吧
– Mitchell McDeere. – A tad eager, are we, Mr. McDeere?
(马丁·科津斯基)
你在干嘛?警卫说你六点半就来了
What are you doing? Dutch says you’ve been here since 6:30.
– 我要全力应付执业考试 – 很好,本所没有人落过榜
– Thought I’d jump start the bar exam. – Good. No associate ever fails.
– 我带你去你的新办公室 – 沃利·哈德逊,合约问题
– I’ll show you your new office. – Wally Hudson, Contracts.
这有助你考执业试。公♥司♥从没有人不合格的
Here to help with the bar exam. No one at the firm has ever failed.
第一天是四小时的道德规范选择题
The first day’s a 4-hour multiple choice on ethics.
先看最初的六课。星期三八点四十五分见吧
Look at the first 6 chapters. I’ll see you Wednesday, 8:45.
这间公♥司♥从没有初级律师考执业试不合格的
No associate of this firm has ever failed the bar exam.
明白
No kidding.
– 肯·库里…家庭问题 – 迈克·艾伦…遗嘱及财产问题
– Ken Curry, Domestic Relations. – Mike Hill, Wills and Estates.
妮娜,他妈的!不要…
Nina, fuck! Please.
– 对不起,我可以帮你吗? – 其实是我来帮你
– I’m sorry. Can I help you? – Actually, I think I’m here to help you.
我是埃弗里·托拉尔,你的指定导师 我们去吃午饭吧
I’m Avery Tolar, your designated mentor. Let’s go to lunch.
– 午饭?现在还没有… – 还没有到中午,我知道
– Lunch? But it’s not even- – Not even noon. I know.
这是工作午餐,来我的办公室,我先放下这个
It’ll be a working lunch. Come on up to my office while I drop this off.
营业额就是一切。即使你在想着客户的时候
Billing is everything. The hours you spend even thinking about a client.
我不管你是在交通挤塞时,还是在剃须或是坐在公园长椅
I don’t care if you’re stuck in traffic or shaving or sitting on a park bench.
– 我的专长是… – 替离岸机构设立有限公♥司♥
– Now, my particular field- – is forming limited partnerships
主要是在开曼群岛
for offshore corporations, mainly in the Cayman islands.
好,我想你翻阅我上次替客户桑尼·卡普斯做的一宗案例
Good. I want you to review the last one I did for our client Sonny Capps.
去年赚了一千四百万,付了百分之四的税,他十分愤恨
Made $1 4 million last year, paid 4%/ in taxes and resents every buck, but…
但他给了我们四十万律师费,所以别令他不快
…he paid us $400,000 in fees, so don’t make him unhappy.
看一下那宗交易。看你能否找到什么
Look at the deal. See if you can find anything.
– 麦琪,说我迟一点找他 – 我该留着这些吗?
– Madge, tell him I’ll call later. – Shall I save these for later?
– 麻烦你 – 你说“找到什么” 有何意思
– Could you please? – What do you mean by “anything”?
– 你认为我有何意思? – 我不知道,你才是风险专家
– What do you think I mean? – I don’t know. You’re the risk taker.
– 你以为我是指犯法? – 不,是你想 “扭曲” 它多少
– You think I mean breaking the law? – No, how far you want it “bent”.
– 尽力而为,只要不把它折断 – 即是说不要冒税局核数的险
– As far as you can without breaking it. – In other words, don’t risk an audit.
我才不管核数。他们最好不要赢
I don’t give a damn about an audit. They just better not win.
– 好的,托拉尔先生 – 午饭前先喝点东西吗?
– Yes, Mr. Tolar. – Something before lunch?
我该警告你,公♥司♥不喜欢在办公时间喝酒的
I should warn you. The firm frowns on drinking during office hours.
– 冰茶 – 孟买♥♥马丁尼加冰
– Ice tea, please. – Bombay martini on the rocks.
元老
Senator.
我可以来一些轻微的造♥反♥
I’m allowed a few minor rebellions.
– 麻烦你放在浴室里 – 亲爱的,我泡了茶
– Put that in the bedroom, please. – Hey, hon, I made some tea.
麻烦你,我从来没试过这么多人替我做事的
Please, I’ve never had so many people trying to do things for me.
艾比,这是南部。我们是用殷勤款待来烦你的
It’s the South, Abby. We encumber you with hospitality.
你想电♥话♥安装快速拨号♥吗?
Do you want your phone programmed for speed dialing?
除了我丈夫的办公室号♥码,让我看…
Other than my husband’s office number, let’s see…
我们有的,麦克迪尔夫人。律师行的安装工作都是我们做的。
We have it, Mrs. McDeere. We do all the installations for the Firm.

Oh.
– 什么引发你去念法律? – 记不起了
– What led you to law school? – I can’t remember.
你记得的,顾问
Sure you can, Counsellor.
我以前在一间薄饼店当送货员。一天店主收到税单
I was a delivery boy for a pizza parlour. The owner got a notice from the lRS.
他是个移♥民♥,对英语或者所得税都一窍不通
He was an immigrant, didn’t know English or about withholding tax.
他破了产,失去他的店铺
He went bankrupt. Lost his store.
那是我第一次想过要当律师
That was the first time I thought of being a lawyer.
即是说,你是个理想主义者
In other words, you’re an idealist.
税务律师不是理想主义者。他失掉店铺时,我也失掉工作
Tax lawyers are not idealists. When he lost his store, I lost my job.
– 它吓怕了我 – 因为失业?
– It scared me. – Being out of work?
不是,政♥府♥可以 “干掉” 任何人
No, the government can “do” anybody.
什么引发你念法律?
What led you to law school?
那是很久以前的事,我记不起了
It’s so far back I don’t think I can remember.
你记得的,顾问
Sure you can, Counsellor.
我以前替年轻律师和他们的妻子当球童
I used to caddy for young lawyers and their wives.
我看到那些修长棕色的腿,就知道我要做律师
I looked at those long tan legs and just knew I had to be a lawyer.
那些妻子也有修长棕色的腿
The wives had long tan legs, too.
埃利斯,再来一杯马丁尼
Ellis, another martini, please.
– 那么我们都不是理想主义者 – 但愿不是这样
– So, we’re not a couple of idealists. – Heaven forbid.
我去告诉奎因太太你们来了
I’ll let Mrs. Quinn know you’re here.
– 你肯定是今天吗? – 他是那样告诉我们
– Are you sure it’s today? – That’s what he told me.
– 克伊? – 发生了…
– Kay? – There’s been…
马丁·科津斯基和乔伊·霍奇斯死了
Marty Kozinski and Joe Hodges were killed.
我们大约二十分钟前听到的。你们在烧烤聚会时见过他们吗
We just heard about 20 minutes ago. Did you meet them at the barbecue?
– 发生了什么事? – 我们不清楚
– What happened? – We’re not sure.
他们在开曼的一艘船上准备潜水时发生爆♥炸♥
They were diving off a boat on Grand Cayman when there was an explosion.
拉马尔?
Lamar?
Marty是…他的双胞胎女儿,比我们的儿子大一个月
Marty was… His twin girls are a month older than our son.
我很难过
I’m very sorry, Lamar.
有一件事,奥利弗想我告诉你
By the way, Oliver wanted me to tell you…
你不用担心学生贷款
…you shouldn’t be burdened with a student loan.
什么?
Excuse me?
明天把文件带回去,公♥司♥会代你还款
Bring the papers by tomorrow. The firm will repay it for you.
– 克伊很害怕。 – 什么?
– Kay was scared. – What?
– 她是难过。 – 难过和害怕是不同的
– She was upset. – “Upset” and “scared” are different.
– 她是害怕。 – 怕什么?你那么了解她吗?
– She was scared. – Of what? Do you know her that well?
也许不是。但最近我经常跟她在一起
Maybe not. But I’ve spent a lot of time with her lately.
他们拥有两匹马
They have their own horses. Two of them.
两匹马都是夸特马
Quarter horses.
加起来就是半匹马?
Does that make half a horse?
对不起
Sorry.
轻轻抹去我们眼中的泪水
And gently wipe away every tear from our eyes.
因圣父、圣子和圣灵之名。阿们
In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
让我们祷告
Let us pray.
主啊,你时常诚心而快捷地施予怜悯
Lord, our God, you are always faithful and quick to show mercy.
我们的弟兄Marty突然而剧烈地离开我们
Our brother Marty was suddenly and violently taken from us.
求你快帮助他,怜悯他
Come swiftly to his aid. Have mercy on him.
并借着
And comfort his family and friends…
十字架的力量和保护
by the power and protection of the cross.
我们向上主祈求,阿们
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.
让我们在上主的安宁中离去吧
Let us go in the peace of Christ.
我去跟奥利弗道别,好吗?
I’m just going to go say goodbye to Oliver. OK?
– 我会来找你 – 好的
– I’ll catch up with you. – All right.
– 麦克迪尔夫人?我是埃弗里·托拉尔 – 是你
– Mrs. McDeere? I’m Avery Tolar. – Oh.
我最近这么少见我的丈夫就是因为你
You’re the reason I see so little of my husband these days.
他一定是世上最具野心的男人
He must be the most ambitious man in the world.
– 其中一个吧。 – 不,我是说每天舍得留下你
– One of them. – No, I mean… leaving you every day…
为了去工作
…just to go off to work.
我肯定你应付得来的
I’m sure you can manage.
告诉我怎样吧
Just tell me how.
你熟识他们吗?那两个去世的人?
Did you know them well? The men who died?
熟识
Yes.
你一定很难过了
You must be overwhelmed with grief.
麦克迪尔夫人,人们有不同的方法哀悼的
People grieve in different ways, Mrs. McDeere.
艾比?
Abby?
过来一会
Come here a second.
“放弃了等候。跟带信人分享那碗狗粮吧”
“Gave up waiting. Share bowl of kibble with bearer of note.”
该死
Shit.
– 他在里面? – 是的,托拉尔先生
– Is he here? – Yes, Mr. Tolar.
糟透的建议书,重新草议调回离岸资金的部分
Hell of a proposal. Just redraft this part on repatriation of offshore funds.
– 明天我就要 – 明天?我要多一个星期
– I need it tomorrow. – Tomorrow? I need another week.
不可以,你和我明天要飞去开曼见卡普斯先生
Can’t have it. You and I fly to the Caymans tomorrow to see Mr. Capps.
– 但是有执业考试! – 你回来时就有了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!