盯住他!
Pick him up! Pick him up!
混♥蛋♥! 我的意思是,法官大人 射得好
Son of a bitch! I mean, your Honour, that was a hell of a shot.
现在我实习当见习律师,拿取额外的两个学分
I’m currently doing an “externship” for two extra credits as a clerk.
– 是胡克斯特拉滕法官。 – B.J.胡克斯特拉滕?
– Judge Hookstratten. – B.J. Hookstratten?
那比名列首百分之五的高材生更加出众
That’s more impressive than being in the top five percent.
我不知道华尔街有什么职位给你
I don’t know what kind of offers you’ve had from Wall Street…
我是班里的头五名
The top five, sir. In my class.
不是头百分之五。对不起,我只想…
Not the top five percent. I’m sorry, I just…
麦克迪尔先生,我们给你年薪六万八千元
Mr. McDeere. We’ve just offered you $68,000 a year…
芝加哥著名的律师行的职位
from arguably the leading law firm in Chicago.
你还要到别处吗?
Is there somewhere else you have to be?
我午餐时间有工作
I’m on lunch break from work.
我知道你有很多选择
I know you’ve had a lot of offers.
我们有一百二十七个客户是“财富五百”里的公♥司♥
We have 127 clients that are Fortune 500 companies.
我们愿意给你七万四千元
We’ll offer you $7 4,000…
首年初级律师只需要二千小时
…for a 1st-year associate is only 2,000 hours.
不是一般的二千七百小时。我们想你工作时自在一点
Not the usual 2,700. We want you to have a life outside the office.
如果你是湖人队球迷,我们在大球场有个包厢
If you’re a Lakers fan, we have a box at the Forum.
我知道全国很多公♥司♥都想以高薪招揽你
I know firms from all over the country are offering you everything.
以你的野心,只有一处适合你
With your ambition, there’s only one place for you.
那就是我们的公♥司♥
And that’s with our firm.
先谈一下我们的实力
Let’s start talking about what’s in the package.
我们的合伙人包括一个前州长,两个众议员…
Our partners include an ex-Governor, two Congressmen…
一个前农业部长
a former Secretary of Agriculture…
先生,要放下你的大衣吗?
May I check your coat, sir?
米奇·麦克迪尔先生,是吧?我是拉马尔·奎因
Mr. McDeere, right? I’m Marc Quinn.
请进来
Come on in.
介绍你认识奥利弗·兰伯特,他是我们的高级合伙人
I’d like you to meet Oliver Lambert. He’s our senior partner.
– 你好 – 这位是罗伊斯·麦克奈特
– How do you do, sir? – This is Royce McNight…
– 我们的行政合伙人。 – 你好
– our managing partner. – How do you do, sir?
– 要喝点东西吗? – 不用了
– Care for a drink? – No, I’m fine.
米奇,坐吧
Take a seat, Mitch.
– 厌倦了面试吧? – 不是的
– Tired of interviews? – No, sir.
– 只是不知道该说什么 – 对律师来说是罕见的
– Just don’t quite know what to say. – Unusual for a lawyer.
有很多情况会令我结舌的
I can get tongue-tied in any number of situations, sir…
但经常都跟我太太有关
but it’s usually with my wife.
可介意形容其中一个跟你太太的情况?
Would you mind describing one? With your wife.
我第一次看见她,我们吵架时…
The first time I saw her… Any time we argue…
她走进房♥间里…
Whenever she walks into a room…
你其他的家人呢?
And the rest of your family?
我父亲在煤矿遇难去世了
My father was killed in the coal mines.
母亲再嫁后住在佛罗里达
My mother remarried and lives in Florida.
– 兄弟姐妹? – 没有
– Brothers and sisters? – None.
米奇,希望你不会 认为我们唐突,但是…
Mitch, I hope you don’t think us intrusive, but…
家庭安定对于我们特别重要
stability in the family has a special importance for us.
本迪尼-兰伯特&洛克只是孟菲斯市的一间公♥司♥,有四十一位律师
Bendini, Lambert & Locke is just a small Memphis firm, 41 lawyers…
但我们是个大家庭,所以我们很小心
But we’re a large family. So, we’re careful.
现在,先生…
Now, sir…
你有什么想问吗?
Do you have any questions for us?
你们心目中可有安排?
Do you have an offer in mind?
它包括分红制、低息按揭
It includes a bonus schedule, a low-interest mortgage…
让你可以买♥♥一间屋,乡村俱乐部会籍
so you can buy a home,country club membership,
– 我们租借一辆新的梅赛德斯奔驰给你 – 颜色由你来挑选
– We’ll lease you a new Mercedes. – You pick the colour, Mitch.
拉马尔!你没有留心,颜色由他太太选
Lamar, you haven’t been paying attention . His wife picks the color.
– 我在这里拆开它? – 当然了
– Do I open it here? – Of course.
除非你知道里面有什么
Unless you can tell us what’s in it.
有那样薪酬条件的律师也不用打开那个信封了
A lawyer worth that offer shouldn’t have to open the envelope.
麦克耐特先生,你是公♥司♥的行政合伙人,是吗?
Mr. McKnight, you are the managing partner of the firm, is that correct?
兰伯特先生对于我的聘用可曾给你指示?
Did Mr. Lambert give you instructions regarding my employment?
他有的
He did.
麦克耐特先生,你一向都依照兰伯特先生的指示做吗?
Mr. McKnight, do you usually follow Mr. Lambert’s instructions?
反对。含糊、不明确
Objection. Vague, ambiguous.
反对有效
Sustained.
那些指示究竟是什么?
What precisely were those instructions?
你是炙手可热的,我要在形成争相竞夺之前
You were in demand and I should make certain to obtain your services…
保证得到你的加盟
before a bidding situation developed.
你又怎样得到保证呢?
How did you go about making certain?
我贿赂了一个哈佛的文员得到你最高薪酬条件的数目
I bribed a clerk at Harvard for the exact amount of your highest offer.
然后,增加了20%
and then added 20%.
我们公♥司♥给你的那封信是我们唯一发出的一封
Mitch, the letter you got from our firm was the only one sent out.
我们对你志在必得
We want you.
你现在要走了,我丈夫很快就回来
OK. You have to leave now. I’m expecting my husband.
管他呢
The hell with him.
过来
Come here.
木须肉、四川牛肉、烧鸭
Moo Shoo Pork, Szechuan Beef, Mandarin Duck…
小王店的
…from Wong Boys.
– 还有美酒 – 什么事?
– It’s even got a cork. – What’s going on?
还记得那间在孟菲斯的律师行给我的信吗?
You remember the letter I got from that firm in Memphis?
– 孟菲斯? – 我也那么想,直至提出条件
– Memphis? – That’s what I thought. Till their offer.
– 有什么条件? – 他们没有说
– What was the offer? – They didn’t say.
就在里面
It’s in there.
– 还封着的 – 我靠猜测
– It’s sealed. – I guessed.
– 什么? – 我猜测很了得的
– What? – Yeah, I’m a good guesser.
第二年还会加薪百分之五
Plus a five percent increase the second year.
– 为什么? – 为什么?
– Why? – Why?
– 你是帮哪一方的? – 你的一方
– Whose side are you on? – Yours.
还有分红,低息按揭
Plus bonuses, plus a low-interest mortgage.
– 周围有草地的房♥子? – 他们要我们去孟菲斯看看
– As in home with grass around it? – They want to fly us to Memphis.
豪华轿车也不外如是
Been in one limo, you been in them all.
米奇
Hey, Mitch.
先会见初级律师们,然后在私人宴会厅跟合伙人吃午饭
Associates first, then lunch with the partners in our private dining room.
他是我们的头号♥招聘对象
He’s our number one draft pick and…
而且纽约和芝加哥的大律所也向他招手
he’s being romanced by the big boys from New York and Chicago.
所以我们要向他推销我们这间孟菲斯的小公♥司♥
So, we have to sell him on our little firm here in Memphis.
同时…他要设法避免尴尬了
Meanwhile, he’s gonna try not to be embarrassed
我想提醒你们,他即将在哈佛以荣誉成绩毕业
while I remind you that he’s about to graduate from Harvard with honours.
– 公♥司♥里没有人离了婚? – 公♥司♥里没有人离了婚
– No one’s divorced in the firm? – No one’s divorced in the firm.
– 不可能的。 – 也没有单身汉
– Impossible. – No bachelors either.
– 女人呢? – 曾经有一个
– What about women? – They had one once.
– 只有一个? – 穿着四英寸高跟鞋的爱丽丝·克劳斯
– Only one? – Alice Krauss hobbled on 4″ heels.
厉害的踏高跷行动
Affirmative Action on stilts.
全白人、全男性、全已婚?
All white, all male, all married, huh?
– 这到底是什么? – 他来了
– What the hell is this? – There he goes.
这里跟北部不同。我们是比较庄重的
The pace is different from the North. We’re stately by comparison.
殷勤但不好管闲事。我们互相保守秘密
Courteous and not as gossipy. We keep each other’s secrets.
– 我喜欢那样 – 你喜欢它什么?
– I like that. – What do you like about it?
所有的,这是个大家庭,像你说的
All of it. It’s a family. Just the way you said.
我在波士顿的一间私立学校教了数年
For the last few years I’ve been teaching in Boston at a private school.
– 你有工作吗? – 拉马尔进了法学院后就没有了
– Do you work? – Not since Lamar was in law school.
– 工作不会被禁止的。 – 被禁?
– Working isn’t forbidden. – Forbidden?
– 工作…公♥司♥的主意. – 它怎可以被禁?
– Working… by the firm. – How could it be forbidden?
不是,我在十四个月内生了两个孩子,又有很多家务
It isn’t. Two babies in 14 months and I had all the work I could handle.
– 你有计划生孩子吗? – 可能在几年后吧
– Do you plan to start a family? – Maybe in a couple of years.
– 公♥司♥鼓励生育的。 – 他们怎么做?
– The firm encourages children. – How do they do that exactly?
– 怎样? – 怎样?
– Hey, how about it! – How about it.
好吧,那 “爱之船”乐队 那秘制排骨
OK, OK. The Love Boat band, the secret recipe ribs…
– 它们也许有点老套 – 我不介意老套,我喜欢老套
– They’re a little square maybe. – I don’t mind square. I like square.
– “古怪” 我就介意 什么意思, “古怪” ?
– ‘Weird” I mind. – What do you mean ‘weird”?
有一个说法: 公♥司♥不 “禁止” 我去找工作
Here’s a quote: The firm does not forbid me to take a job…
他们也鼓励生育,怎会那样?
and they encourage children. Ask me why.
– 因为他们喜爱孩子。 – 因为孩子带来稳定
– Because they love kids. – Because children promote stability.
– 想听多一些吗? – 不用,你说得对
– Want to hear more? – No, you’re right.
管它的,我从栏杆跳下去好了
Don’t pay any attention. I’m just gonna throw myself over the rail.
– 我的意向是无须解释的 – 好吧
– My will is self-explanatory. – OK, OK.
艾比,这些都是好人
These are nice people, Abby. These are nice people.
我比你的看法好一点。你适应一下吧
OK, I’m more impressed with it than you are. You grew up with it.
可知道在这里年薪九万六千元是什么?
Do you know what $96,000 a year is here?
即是在纽约的十五万,你可曾想过我会有六位数字的薪金?
It’s a 150 in New York. Did you ever think I’d make a six-figure salary?
– 当然有 – 你有?
– Absolutely. – You did?
而且你的家人只是离这里几小时路程
Your folks are only a few hours away too.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!