– But don’t think for one minute…
不过想都别想
that you can sell beer on the Sabbath.
在安息日售卖♥♥啤酒
Though I must say I don’t see what I could usefully do in a place like this.
虽然我必须承认,在这里我做不了什么有用的事情
Oh, it’s easy for you.
对你来说很简单
You can do anything. You’re an educated man.
你啥都能做。你是个受过教育的人
Well, I’m not really qualified to do very much.
我没有那么能干
I could teach, I suppose.
我或许可以教书
Oh, dear. Sorry. No, I…
天,抱歉
I was, um…
我
I was going to ask you something personal; it was probably indiscreet.
我打算问你一些私人问题,可能比较轻率
I don’t mind.
我不介意
Well, I just, uh… You know, I-I-I…
你知道的,我
I know even less about you than I d… I did about, um,
我对你的了解,比你对我的少
M-Miss Elizabeth.
Elizabeth小姐
Miss Elizabeth. I couldn’t keep that up for long.
Elizabeth小姐,我受不了了
Well, there’s nothing very special about me.
好吧,我没有什么特别的
I’m the kind of girl you usually don’t notice.
我是那种你通常都不会注意到的女孩
I scuttle in with a tray of tea, bow my head and scuttle out.
我匆忙端来一杯茶,低头离开
– I’d notice. – No, you wouldn’t.
– 我注意到了。 – 不,你不会
Not usually.
通常不会
So, can I ask you something personal?
那,我能问你一些私人问题吗?
How come you aren’t in France?
你为啥不在法国?
Well, I-I-I was. Um, I w… I was, uh…
我去过
I-I went out with the, uh, first wave in 1914.
1914年的第一批就去了
I was at Verdun.
我当时在Verdun
I came back like Johnny.
我就像Johnny那样回来了
Oh.
I’m sorry.
我很抱歉
But you’re all right now. You just need some lookin’ after.
但你现在好了,你只是需要有人照顾
– What on earth? – All right, boys. I’ll see you up there.
– 怎么啦? – 好了,孩子们,我们上面见
We’ve got the miners now too.
我们把矿工们也叫来
Looks like a carnival.
简直是嘉年华
I feel terribly responsible. I…
我感觉责任重大
I hope your Mr. Garrad’s ready. We’ll have a mountain for him to measure before tea time.
希望Garrad先生准备好了。他得在下午茶之前测量一座山峰了
Tea wallah!
来杯茶!
I-I-It’s Anson, George.
是我Anson,George
Oh, Anson. Morning.
哦,Anson,早啊
Um, I-I just thought I might, uh, pop up the hill.
我想也许该上趟山
It seems the, uh, the villagers have made a little, tiny alteration to the height.
貌似村民对山的高度进行了小小的修改
I thought I might, uh, measure it. Nothing much better to do, so…
我想我该去量一下。反正也没啥可做的
Capital. Good for you. You could probably use the fresh air.
对你有好处,可以去呼吸一下新鲜空气
Well, that’s what I thought. Yeah.
是啊,我也这么想
Umm, y-you don’t want to join me?
你不想一起来吗?
– Where? – Eh, up the hill.
– 去哪? – 呃,上山
Oh, good God, no, no, no.
哦,天呐,不了
I’ll stay here if you don’t mind. Lots of paperwork. Scads to catch up on and such.
你不介意的话,我就在这,有很多报告要写,这个那个的很多事情
Absolutely.
确实是
All right. Say, you don’t want me to open up a window or anything?
好,你不想要我开一扇窗什么的吗?
Um, I’m not sure that I can rely on Mr. Garrad.
呃,看来是不能依靠Garrad先生了
But, um, the thing is, I-I will need an assistant. I…
不过,我需要一个帮手
– You wouldn’t, um… – Me?
– 你可以吗? – 我?
Wh-Why not?
为啥不呢?
Well… I’ve never been to Abyssinia…
嗯,我从没去过阿比西尼亚
or to Aden… or Sebastopol,
还有亚丁,或者Sebastopol
and I can’t speak with a posh accent for long.
我很久没有讲时髦英语了
Well, I-I-I think we can get over that.
哦,我想我们能克服的
I’m just a maidservant.
我只是个女佣
Well, I-I don’t think the word “just” could apply to you about anything.
『只是』这个字对你完全不适用
– Was that a compliment? – Yes. Yes.
– 这是赞美吗? – 是啊,是啊
And n-now I’m going to blush, so, um,
我要脸红了啦
w-would you help me… please?
请你帮忙可以吗?
– Since you said please, and you’re blushin’, yes, I will. – No!
既然你说了请,又脸红了,那我就答应了
Good. Then, uh,
好,那么
prepare the engineer’s transit, please.
请准备工程经纬仪吧
– The what? – I’ll show you.
– 啥? – 我给你看
This is extraordinary.
太了不起了
When Morgan gets a bee in his bonnet…
Morgan的奇思妙想
Let’s keep the hands up.
加油啊
You know, I think they’re going to succeed.
我觉得他们会成功的
– Hello, hello.
你好
We’ll have a mountain for your map.
我们的大山要上地图了
Oh, indeed, I think you will. I… I just hope you can finish it today.
确实,会的。但愿今天能完成
We lost a lot in the rain, but we still have a chance.
因为下雨损失不小,不过我们还有机会
– Well, perhaps you should cover it with turf. – Turf?
– 好,也许应该在上面盖上植被。 – 植被?
– He means sod. – Sod? We’ll need good sod.
– 他是说草皮。 – 草皮?我们要好的草皮
A lot of good sod.
很多好的
This is an outrage!
暴行啊!
How dare you?
你们怎么敢?
Have the council been informed? Does anyone have written permission?
委员会知道吗?有书面许可吗?
I mean, look at this. It’s madness!
看看这个呀,简直疯狂
– Stop actin’ so English.
– 别像个英国人似的
– Go on up there. – Right, then, boys. Carry on.
– 搬上去吧。 – 孩子们,加油
Come uppa! Come uppa! That’s it. That’s it.
驾!驾!对了
Absolutely everyone climbed Ffynnon Garw that day,
那天每个人都登上了富农山
except Davies the School, of course,
除了Davies教书的以外,当然咯
and Johnny, who was happy to help down in the valley,
还有Johnny,他情愿在村里帮忙
but too fearful to go up Ffynnon Garw again.
再也不敢上富农山了
Thank you, Johnny.
谢谢,Johnny
I’ll take that.
我来吧
There’s not much daylight left for a measurement.
日光不够测量的了
Well, stop standing around and help.
好,别站着了,来帮忙
Come on.
来吧
Look, I’m terribly sorry about the motorcar.
我对汽车的事情很抱歉
I covered it with tarpaulin, but I don’t know. The wind, uh, must’ve…
本来上面有防水帆布,但是不知道,是不是风…
W-Would that be this tarpaulin by any chance?
不会正好是这块帆布吧?
– Yes. – That’s all right, Mr. Williams.
– 是这块。 – 没关系,Williams先生
I wouldn’t have missed this for the world.
没有它,我也很好。
It’s Johnny. It’s Johnny!
是Johnny啊!
It was touch and go to finish…
就在即将完成的时候
while there was still light for Mr. Anson to measure.
光线还够Anson先生做测量
And there are many who still say we would’ve succeeded,
还有不少人说我们不会成功
but fate had one more trick up her sleeve.
但命运还是玩弄了一个把戏
Reverend Jones!
Jones牧师
Later, when we all talked,
事后,当我们谈起的时候
we realized that Reverend Jones had climbed Ffynnon Garw five or six times that day,
我们才意识到,Jones牧师那天爬山爬了有5到6趟
enough to make a young, fit man stiff,
这足够让年轻人都精疲力尽
and definitely too much for a man of 82.
更不用说一个82岁的老人了
Yes. We didn’t know that either,
是的,我们也不知道
but Reverend Jones was 82.
Jones牧师已经是82岁了
And we thought he was just in his 60s.
我们还以为他只有60多
Morgan!
– Morgan the Goat!
Morgan 山羊
– He wants me? – Yes.
– 他叫我吗? – 是的
Come closer.
靠近些
Take my hand now.
抓着我的手
I know I can count on you.
我知道我能指望你
What’s he saying? What’s he saying?
他在说什么?
What’s he saying?
他在说什么?
Get Jones the J.P.!
把治安法官Jones叫来
The sergeant verified death,
警官核实了死亡
but Jones the J.P. Would have to consecrate the ground…
但是治安法官Jones,得为牧师立下的遗嘱
before the Reverend Jones could have his dyin’ wish.
进行土地确认仪式
This plot of earth at the summit of Ffynnon Garw…
这块位于富农山顶的土地
is duly consecrated to receive the mortal remains…
正适合接收我们
of our dear friend and spiritual leader,
亲爱的朋友和精神领袖的躯体
the Reverend Robert Jones.
Jones牧师
So you’ll be takin’ the first train out in the morning?
那你准备乘坐早晨的第一班火车离开了?
Yes. Yes, I’m afraid we will.
是的
Fair is fair.
只能这样了
We had a damn good fight, didn’t we? If it wasn’t for the reverend…
我们尽力了,是吧?要不是牧师
If it wasn’t for the reverend, it wouldn’t have been built in the first place.
也不会有这里了