是吗?谢谢,真是太好了
They don’t call them twp for nothin’.
傻就对了
Good God.
天啊
Thomas, I’m not altogether happy…
托马斯,我很不乐意看到
about you carrying this equipment for the English.
你们俩替英国人扛设备
Are you suitably rewarded?
给了合理的报酬吗?
I don’t know, sir, but I’ll put it down.
我不知道,先生。我这就放下
– Morning. – Morning.

We’re for the historical measurement.
我们前来观赏历史性的测量
Have you met the Reverend Jones?
见过Jones牧师吗?
N-N-No, no. How do you do?
没有。你好
You’ll do your best now, I’m sure, hmm?
我相信你们会尽力做好的,是吧?
– Well? – What’s the result?
怎么样?结果如何?
Please. We have hours of calculations ahead of us.
拜托,我们还得计算几个小时
I’m afraid you’ll have to be a little patient, but, uh, we should know this evening.
恐怕你们要耐心些,不过呢,我们晚上就能知道结果
Now, excuse me, gentlemen.
对不起,先生们
Oh. Thank you.
谢谢
Please be careful.
请小心些
– And how do you know later? – Well, we’ve made measurements with those two hills,
– 接下来怎么做? – 我们已经测量了那两座小山丘
and we already know the height of Newton Beacon and Whitchurch Hill.
我们已经知道了 Newton Beacon 和 Whitchurch Hill 的高度
– But how were they measured? – The same way. By comparing them with other hills.
– 之前是怎么测量的? – 同样的方法,通过与其它山峰的比对
But who measured the first hill?
但是谁测量了第一座山峰呢?
Well… God, my boy. God!
哦,得啦
That night, the pub did big business…
那天晚上,小酒店做大生意
as all gathered to hear the result.
所有人都来听取结果
All except Reverend Jones, of course,
除了Jones牧师,当然了
who wouldn’t step into such a den of iniquity.
他是不会步入这个罪孽之地的
– Same again? – No, I wish to change my bet.
– 还是照旧? – 不是,我想换赌注
– You can’t do that. – Well, then, I wish to place another one.
– 你不能那么做 – 那,我想再押一个
– Feeling any better? – No.
– 感觉好些了吗? – 没有
No, I’ve got a shocking headache. I think I should lie down.
我头疼欲裂,我想躺一会儿
Do you, um, want me to tell them then?
要我去告诉他们结果吗?
That’s a splendid idea, although it really should be me. On the other hand,
这个主意太棒了!其实应该是我去的。
this might be a good chance for you to get practice talking to the natives.
不过这是个好机会,你可以锻炼一下在本地人面前讲话
– You don’t know when it might be handy. – Mmm. Yes, of course.
– 可能意想不到的简单。 – 是啊,当然
– 980 feet.
980英尺
Objection “substained.”
反对驳回
I’m not takin’ any bets under a thousand feet.
我不接受任何小于1000英尺的投♥注♥
– Traitor. – Traitor?
– 叛徒。 – 叛徒?
Are you sure you haven’t got any English blood in you?
你真的没有英国血统吗?
– Any result? – No!
– 有结果了吗? – 没有
They’re not going to like it very much, are they?
他们不会太喜欢这个结果的,是吧?
No. All the same, these figures are science.
不会。不过数字是科学的
And what is science, Mr. Anson?
什么是科学的?Anson先生?
I always forget that one, don’t I?
我老是忘记,是吧?
– Oh, come on. – Um, science is dispassionate.
– 得了。 – 嗯,科学是理性的
Exactly.
对啦
Oh. Evening.
晚上好
– Well, Mr. Morgan, with your permission.
– Morgan先生,可以吗?
Gentlemen. Um, we have now…
先生们,现在
Completed the, uh, survey of, um,
我们完成了
Ffynnon Garw…
对富农山的测量
and, um, I have to inform you that it is…
我要告诉你们的高度是
984 feet.
984英尺
– What?
– 什么?
Now I-I-I realize that this may be a disappointment to you,
我知道你们会很失望
um, but I would ask you to remember that it is just a measurement…
但是请记住,这只是一次测量
and in no way should detract from the beauty of, or indeed your affection for,
这丝毫不会有损它的美丽,或者对你们的影响
this, uh, uh…
这座,呃
H-Hill. Thank you.
土丘。谢谢
– Hill?
土丘?
A result? Tell me. Do they have a result?
结果?告诉我,有结果了吗?
It’s a… hill.
是土丘
A hill.
一座土丘
Perhaps it would have been different if there hadn’t been a war,
要不是战争的话,事情可能会不一样
but this was 1917, and people were exhausted by loss.
但是在1917年,人们受够了失去的伤痛
Those that were allowed to stay manned the pits,
那些留下来采矿挖煤
mining the coal that would fuel the ships.
为舰船提供燃料的人
Twenty-four hours a day they labored.
一天24小时不停工作
Corners were cut. Coal was hacked hastily,
只为开采更多的煤炭
and those who survived the trenches died for the coal.
从战地生还,却又为开采奔命
It was a sad time.
那是个伤痛的时节
Our friends had been taken, our sons, our husbands.
我们的朋友、儿子和父亲,离我们而去
A once-close community was slowly bein’ destroyed.
曾经紧密的社区慢慢松垮
How could we face those who survived if they returned to find no mountain?
我们将如何面对那些生还的人,归来后发现失去了大山
While they had fought the Germans, we had lost the mountain to the English?
当他们与德国人浴血奋战时,我们在英国却丢了大山
Our village had been ruined, and now they were takin’ our mountain…
我们的村庄已经破败,现在他们又来夺走我们的大山
and our Welshness.
还有我们的威尔士精神
– Meeting in the village hall.
– 村礼堂集♥合♥!
Meeting in the village hall!
村礼堂集♥合♥!
Reverend Jones…
Jones牧师
is assembling a meeting in the village hall.
在村礼堂召集♥会♥议
– Now! – What does that old coot think he’s gonna do?
– 就是现在。 – 老傻瓜想干啥?
– Raise the mountain? – He’s gonna organize an official complaint.
– 把山抬高? – 他要发起一个正式申诉
Come on, boys. Were you comin’?
来吧!你来不来?
A complaint?
申诉?
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
谢谢!谢谢!
Look, I propose a petition…
我起草了一份诉状
demanding the inclusion of Ffynnon Garw…
要求富农山
as the first mountain in Wales,
这座威尔士第一山
to be included on all of His Majesty’s maps.
出现在所有皇家地图上
And who’s gonna read this petition? Huh? Who’s going to agree?
谁会看这个诉状啊?谁会同意呢?
– I don’t think I need any advice from you, Mr. Morgan.
你不用给我任何建议,Morgan先生
I haven’t finished yet.
我还没说完
I don’t want Ffynnon Garw to be on the map…
我不想让富农山出现在地图上
because we begged for it, because we… we pleaded.
是因为我们乞求了,或者是恳求了
No! If Ffynnon Garw has to be a thousand feet,
不!如果富农山需要1000英尺
then I say let it be a thousand feet!
那就让它有1000英尺高好了
Twenty feet! That’s all we need!
只不过就差20英尺而已
A 20-foot tump and we have our mountain.
一个20英尺高的土堆,就可以成就我们的大山
– I’m not sure how legal that is. – Yes. Or ethical.
– 我不确定这是不是合法。 – 还有道义上的
“Legal”? “Ethical”?
合法?道义?
How legal was it to say that a thousand feet is a mountain…
大山必须1000英尺,这个有多合法啊?
and 984 isn’t, huh?
984英尺,就不是了?
Do we call a short man a boy or, or, or a small dog a cat?
我们会叫一个矮个子,小子,或小狗,或者小猫吗?
– No!
不会!
This is a mountain… our mountain…
这是一座山,我们的山
and if it needs to be a thousand feet, then by God, let’s make it a thousand feet.
如果需要1000英尺,以上帝的名义,那就让它有1000英尺吧
I would prefer it, Mr. Morgan,
Morgan先生,我觉得
if you did not take the Lord’s name in vain.
你最好不要乱用神的名义
Ye-Yes, Ivor, go on. Have a go.
好,Ivor,接着说吧
– Uh… Morgan the Goat…
呃,Morgan山羊
Sorry, Morgan.
对不起,Morgan
Morgan has a point.
Morgan的话有道理
I have visited mountains that are topped by ancient burial chambers,
我去过那些顶上建有古老墓室的山脉
and it is that full height which is measured.
测量时是算在高度内的
I see nothing wrong with adding to Ffynnon Garw.
增高富农山我觉得没什么不对的
– In Rhondda Fawr,
在Rhondda Fawr
there’s a huge coal tip above the village, and that’s on the maps.
村子上面有一座大煤窑,这就上了地图
Am I the only one that thinks this smacks of sharp practice…
是不是只有我一个人,觉得这样极端的行为
of cheating?
是骗人的吗?
What do we do? Lower one part of Ffynnon Garw to raise another?
我们打算怎么做?在富农山上挖一块升一块?
Take it from your garden if it makes you feel better.
如果你乐意可以挖自己的花♥园♥嘛
Yes! Yes! It would make me feel better.
是的,是的!我会觉得好一点
I would be happier…
我会更高兴地看到
if the mountain was raised by toil, by sweat,
如果是用我们的勤劳和汗水,去增高山峰
by work, by sacrifice.
用工作,用奉献
Yes! Take the earth from our own gardens.
对!用我们自己家花♥园♥的泥土
– That would make me feel better. – You’re just making it impossible.
– 我会感觉好一些。 – 你越说越离谱
No, Mr. Morgan, I am not!
没有,Morgan先生,我没有
J-Johnny.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!