早,Jones牧师
I see God’s in His heaven and all’s well with the world.
我看到上帝和他的天堂,万物安好
– Have you no shame? – No!
– 你羞耻吗? -不!
I can’t think where I’ve left it.
我忘了把羞耻放哪儿了
When does a hill become a mountain?
啥时候土丘会变高山?
I think it must be a comparative term. I mean,
我觉得那是一个很长的过程
you take the Himalayas of India.
想想印度的喜马拉雅山
There they have mountains of 10,000 feet which are referred to, I believe, as foothills.
那些一万英尺的山峰,哪怕是从山脚算起
But take our mountain. That isn’t a foothill!
但是我们的山!连山丘都不是
Well, again, placed in the Alps, it wouldn’t even be considered a hillock.
好,再看看阿尔卑斯,从来就没被当做是山丘
– But it isn’t in the Alps! It’s here! Here in Wales! – Oh, quite.
– 这不是阿尔卑斯,这是在威尔士! – 哦,小声点。
So who… who decides on British maps?
那谁,谁能决定上英国地图?
Mr. Davies, now this in confidence.
Davies先生,说点悄悄话
– They’re saying… – What, the English?
– 他们说… – 什么?那些英国人?
Yes! They’re saying that it must be over 1,000 feet.
是!他们说必须超过1000英尺
Really! I’d imagined 5,000 was the standard.
是吗!我还以为5000是个标准呢
But how high is Ffynnon Garw?
富农山有多高呢?
Is it over a thousand? Over two thousand?
有1000吗?有2000吗?
A thousand? I’d always imagined it was a few hundred.
1000?我一直以为只有几百
Oh, dear. Oh, and I thought you were an educated man.
天呐!我还以为你是个有教养的人
Oh, dear. Oh, dear.
天呐!天呐!
The first mountain in Wales.
威尔士第一山
Yes, it is something we have boasted about since time immemorial.
是啊,我们自古以来就引以为豪
We didn’t have the biggest mountains of the North…
我们没有北方最高的山脉
nor the beautiful mountains of mid-Wales,
也不是威尔士中部漂亮的
but we could claim that we lived in the shadow of the first mountain…
但是我们可以说,我们生活在
inside the Welsh border.
威尔士第一山下
These mountains have defeated every invader.
这些山脉击败了每一个侵略者
This is where the Britons fled…
这是英国人逃离的地方
when they were invaded by the Romans, the Angles,
那时候被罗马人、被盎格鲁人、
the Saxons, the Vikings, the Normans.
被萨克逊人、维京人、诺曼人入侵
Oh, yes, they all invaded this island of Britain,
是,他们都侵占了不列颠岛
but they’ve never taken the mountains from us.
但是他们从没能夺走我们的山脉
They’ve never taken ancient Britain.
他们从没有打败过古英国人
My God. Those last stretches are steeper than they look.
天,最后那段路比看上去的要难走
– Yeah. – I hardly think that your pedometer reading…
我不觉得看计步器
will be much use.
会有啥用
Uh, well, not much, but, uh, nevertheless…
没太大用,除非…
So, can you see either of our checkpoints from here?
从这儿能看到我们的勘测点吗?
Uh,

n-no.
不行
But I can see those two men again.
不过我又看到那两个人了
Rather ominous. Reminds me of surveying Abyssinia in ’88.
倒霉,这让我想起88年在阿比西尼亚的勘测了
Come on, boys.
来啊,孩子们
Any more bets? This may be your last chance.
还有下注的吗?最后的机会了
2,300.
2,300.
For Williams the Petroleum. Good man, good man.
Williams,加油的。好人啊好人
Right, Anson.
到了,Anson
Oh, uh, well,
好吧
same as you, I imagine.
和你一样吧,我觉得
Mmm, yes. More or less.
是啊,差不多
Good.
好!
The very men we need. Mr. Garrad, sir.
他们来了,Garrad先生
Settle our bet. How high is our mountain?
见证的时刻到了。我们的山有多高?
I’m sorry. I can’t say yet.
对不起。还不好说
We’ve only just done the first recce.
我们只是完成了初步测量
You must have some idea.
肯定有一些感觉的
Well, nothing accurate as yet, I’m afraid.
哦,恐怕不够精确
– Good night. – Night.
晚安
Uh, look.
好吧
I may be wrong, but after 25 years of doing this sort of thing, I doubt it.
也许不对,不过根据我25年来干这行的经验
I would say about 930 feet.
我估计是930英尺
Gentlemen.
先生们
– 930?
– Come in.
请进
– Mr. Anson! – Oh, Mr. Morgan.
Yes. Perhaps you can help.
帮个忙
Do you know, um, who those two gentlemen down there in the street are?
你知道街上那两个是谁吗?
They’ve been following us all day.
他们跟了我们一整天
Thomas Twp and Thomas Twp Too. Local farmers.
是托马斯和托马斯二,本地农民
They’re not quite with it… touched.
他们不是很…正常
– Stupid. Twp.
傻乎乎的
That’s Thomas Twp on the left and his brother, Thomas Twp.
左边那个是托马斯,还有他兄弟,托马斯
– Sorry? – Oh, he’s Thomas Twp Too.
– 什么? – 哦,是托马斯二
– He is. – Or is it the other way round?
– 是吗? – … 也可能正好相反
W-Well, whichever. Tha-That’s fine. It was just they were, um…
好,管它呢,反正就那样了
– We were beginning to get a bit worried. – Oh, quite harmless.
– 我们有些担心了。 – 哦,没事的
Now I think I can safely say…
我想我可以肯定地说
I’m speaking on behalf of all of my patrons… villagers to a man…
我代表所有的顾客…村民…
when I say I feel… we feel…
向您说出我们的想法
that your Mr. Garrad’s done a pretty shoddy job measuring Ffynnon Garw,
Garrad先生测量富农山峰做得很不好
which is, to any trained eye, a mountain.
专业的一看就知道那是座山
– Beg your pardon? – Oh. Accepted.
– 对不起… – 接受道歉
No, no, no, no. I mean… Sorry. I-I’m not quite following what you…
不不不,我是说对不起,我没明白你什么意思
930 feet, man?
930英尺?伙计
I hope he doesn’t intend sticking to this obviously euphonious measurement.
希望他不会再继续这次和谐的测量
No, th-th-the thing is, Mr. Morgan, we haven’t really measured, um, your mountain yet.
不,其实,Morgan先生,我们还没有真正开始测量你们的…山
We’ve merely made a preliminary reconnoitre, which has a very approximate figure.
我们只是进行了初步的勘测,得出的一个近似估值
– All the way to the top. – That’s it?
– 一路上山顶。 – 就这样吗?
– Yep. – Well, no wonder they bloody got it wrong.
– 是。 – 哦,怪不得错得离谱
And then finally, um, we’ll make measurements using… this.
最终,测量要用到的是… 这个
Uh, b-but to use this thing,
呃,但为了用这个
which we call the transit,
我们叫做经纬仪的
we have to be able to clearly view the summits of Newton Beacon and Whitchurch Hill.
我们需要清晰地看到 Newton Beacon 和 Whitchurch Hill 山顶
– But they’re not mountains. – No, they’re not mountains, Mr. Morgan. They’re not.
– 那两个不是山啊 – 是,Morgan先生,他们不是
But Her Majesty’s Ordnance Survey of 1887…
但是皇家地形测量局在1887年
established their heights and the distance between them…
确定了它们的高度,以及它们之间的距离
and the distance between them and Ffynnon Garw.
以及它们与富农山之间的距离
And, and, and, um, given those measurements,
得到了这些数据
we, we should be able to ascertain the true height of Ffynnon…
我们就可以弄清富农山的真实高度
Uh, this elevation.
呃,海拔
Ah, so you’re saying it probably isn’t 930 feet.
啊,所以说,它可能不是930英尺咯
Well, I’d be very surprised if today’s measurement was accurate, yes.
是啊,要说今天的测量精确,那才怪呢
Ah, good. Well, I’ll see you in the bar then.
好啊,一会儿酒吧见
Yes, yes, yes. You should bear in mind, Mr. Morgan,
好的,好的。请记住,Morgan先生
that your, uh, mountain… whatever… may very well be more than 930 feet.
你们的那座山——随便吧,很可能不止930英尺
– Yes! – But it may also be less.
– 就是! – 但也可能更低。
Less?
更低?
– No!
不可能!
All this fuss. Over what?
大惊小怪。为了啥?
Is it a hill? Is it a mountain?
丘?还是山?
Perhaps it wouldn’t matter anywhere else, but this is Wales.
在其它地方无关紧要,可在威尔士
The Egyptians built pyramids. The Greeks built temples.
埃及人造金字塔,希腊人建神庙
But we did none of that because we had mountains.
可我们什么都不用做,因为我们有山
Yes, the Welsh were created by mountains.
是啊,大山造就了威尔士人
Where the mountain starts, there starts Wales.
有山那会儿,就有威尔士人了
If this isn’t a mountain…
如果不是这座山
Well, if this isn’t a mountain, then Anson might just as well redraw the border…
好嘛,如果没有这座山,Anson就会重新划定边界
and put us all in England, God forbid.
把我们都划归英格兰,天理不容啊
Good morning, Thomas, and Thomas.
早,托马斯和托马斯
– Good morning. – Good morning. – What can I do you for?
要帮忙吗?
We’ve come to see the men who are measuring the mountain.
我们来见测量大山的人
Well, uh, hello.
你们好
This is Mr. Garrad, and, um, my name’s Anson.
这是Garrad,我是Anson
And as you can see, we are terribly busy.
你们瞧,我们忙坏了
This is my brother, Thomas Twp, and I am Thomas Twp Too.
这是我兄弟,托马斯,我是托马斯二
We’ve no learning, and most people say we’re twp.
不知道为啥,人人都说我们傻
But we’re not so twp as to not know that we’re twp.
但我们还没有傻到不知道自己傻
Well, how novel. It was very nice to meet you.
多有诗意啊,能见到你们太好了
We would like to know how you intend to measure the mountain.
我们想知道你们怎么测量这座山
We would like to watch, and we’d be happy to help carry your rule.
我们想看看测量,我们很乐意能帮忙抬东西
Really? Well, thank you. That’s splendid.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!