你应该回帐篷里去
You should come into the shelter.
我没事 谢谢
I’m quite all right, thank you.
-你看 -你叫我看什么?
-Look over there. -What am I looking at?
你看到繁星有什么不对劲吗?
Do you see what’s happening to them, the stars?
有点紊乱 我正想重新组合
-They’re so untidy. I was trying to rearrange them. -No, no.
不 是那边
Over there.
再过几分钟 繁星也会消逝的
In a few minutes, there’ll be no stars.
空气中满布漠漠尘沙
The air is filling with sand.
-情况很糟是吗? -是的
-This is not very good, is it? -No.
-我们会安然无恙吗? -是的
-Will we be all right? -Yes.
是的
Yes.
绝对的
Absolutely.
你这样强调 反而令我不安
“Yes” is a comfort. “Absolutely” is not.
我告诉你一些关于风的事情吧
Let me tell you about winds.
摩洛哥南部起了一阵旋风
There is a, a whirlwind from southern Morocco,
阿尔及利亚人
the Aajej,
持着刀保护自己
against which the Fellahin defend themselves with knives.
突尼斯又起了一种基布利旋风
And there is a, a Ghibli from Tunis.
基布利旋风?
-A Ghibli? -A Ghibli.
风势席卷
Which rolls and rolls and rolls and produces a…
无可抗拒
-a rather strange nervous condition. –
然后刮起哈麦丹风
And then there is the, the Harmatten,
是一种红色风暴 水手称之为漆黑一片
a red wind, which mariners call “the sea of darkness.”
风势刮得红沙乱舞
And red sand from this wind…
直吹英国南岸
has flown as far as the south coast of England,
引起绵绵阵雨
apparently producing…
大家以为鲜血从天而降
showers so dense that they were mistaken for blood.
你瞎编的
Fiction!
我们在南岸有一间屋 倒没见过鲜血从天而降
We have a house on that coast and it has never, never rained blood.
全是真的 你的朋友许诺图很清楚
No, it’s all true. Herodotus, your friend.
我的朋友
-My friend. -Your fri…
是他写的
He writes about it…
他还写过
and he writes about…
沙漠暴风
a, a wind, the Simoon,
有个国家视为妖气
which a nation thought was so evil,
奋而迎战
they declared war on it and marched out against it.
全军还披上战衣
In full battle dress.
而且高举手中剑
Their swords raised.
我要从你那边出去 快点
katharine, katharine, I need to get out your side, quickly.
外面有辆车经过
A car! Let me out!
好的 对不起
Of course. I’m sorry.
现在打瞌睡简直
Ridiculous to fall asleep!
不可饶恕
Unforgivable!
糟糕! 快发照明弹!
Damn! The flare!
停下! 在这儿!
Stop! Over here!
这儿
-Here!
停下!
-Stop! –
马铎!
-Madox! –
马铎!
Madox! Madox!
我们的轮迹不见了
Our tracks have disappeared.
马铎会计里程 很快就会折返
Madox will calculate how many miles. He’ll soon turn around.
可以把你的画
Could I askyou, please, to…
贴在我的书里吗?
paste your paintings into my book.
我很想拥有那些画
L… I should like to have them.
我会感到不胜荣幸
I should be honored.
还有人
-The others!
-老天 -快点
-Oh, God. -Quick!
真可怕 我们要把他们救出来
Oh, how awful! We’ve got to get them out.
快去把另一把拿来
Quick! Get the other shovel!
我问还剩多少水是胆怯吗?
Am I a terrible coward to ask how much water we have left?
桶里还有少许 散热器里还有些水可以喝
A little in our can. We have, uh, water in the radiator, which can be drunk.
你并非胆怯而是讲究实际
And, uh, that’s not cowardly at all. It’s extremely practical.
快点!
We, uh… oh, come on! Come on!
还有一棵我从未见过的植物
There’s also a plant I’ve never seen it,
但是你切下一个心形
but I believe you can cut a piece the size of a heart from this plant,
明早就会布满美味的液体了
and the next morning it’ll be filled with a delicious liquid.
找那颗植物 切下一个心形吧
Find that plant, cut out its heart.
在这儿
Here.
车窗在这里
Here’s the window.
你清理窗子 我处理车门 小心你的手
Clear the glass. I’ll clear the door. Mind your hands.
不必害怕了 我们在这儿
-It’s okay. We’re here.
来吧
Come on, clear it quickly.
坚持住
Hang on. Coming.
行啦 帮他们出来吧
-I’ve got it. I’ve got it. -Help them out. Here.
凯瑟琳
katharine.
有水了
Water.
杰佛并不是在开罗
Geoffrey’s not in Cairo.
他并不是一个风趣浪漫的人
He’s not actually a buffoon.
那架飞机也不是结婚的贺礼
The plane wasn’t a wedding present.
那是英国政♥府♥的
It belongs to the British government.
英国人要整个北非的航♥空♥地图
They want aerial maps of the whole of North Africa.
所以我认为他是在埃塞俄比亚
So I think he’s in Ethiopia.
你不必指望他突然赶回来了
In case you’re counting on his sudden appearance.
你们这段婚姻
And the marriage.
也是虚构的吗?
Is that a fiction?
不 并非虚构的
No, the marriage isn’t a fiction.
谢天谢地
-Oh, thank God. –
谢天谢地
Thank God.
是马铎
Madox. It’s Madox.
你书里的K是我吗?
Am I k. In your book?
一定是吧
I think I must be.
第一章
Chapter one.
他坐下来 反抗市政♥府♥的命令 把巨人族的枪
“He sat in defiance of municipal orders astride the gun Zamzammah…”
我读不下去了 文气不顺 难以卒读
I can’t read these words. I can’t read them. They stick in my throat.
因为你读得太快了
Because you’re reading it too fast.
-我不同意 -读基普林的小说要慢条斯理
-Not at all. -You have to read kipling slowly.
要感受到他写作时的字字推敲
Your eye is too impatient. Think about the speed ofhis pen.
你要这样分句 他坐下来 逗号♥
What is it? “He sat, comma,
反抗市政♥府♥的命令 逗号♥
“in defiance of municipal orders, comma,
把巨人族的枪放在她那砖造的
“astride the gun Zamzammah…
他怎么写的?
on her brick…” What is it?
砖造的站台 在旧祭坛对面
“Brick platform, opposite the old Ajaib-Gher.”
那幢奇异的房♥子 逗号♥
“The wonder house, comma,
土人称之为拉合尔省会博物馆
as the natives called the Lahore Museum.”
那尊大炮还在博物馆外面
It’s still there, the cannon, outside the museum.
大炮是溶掉金杯和金砖铸造的
Made of metal cups and bowls taken from every household in the city as tax,
家家户户交出金器当作交税
then melted down.
熔了金器 制成大炮 后来他们向我的人♥民♥发炮
Then later, they fired the cannon at my people,
逗号♥ 也就是那些土人
comma, the natives.
句号♥
Full stop.
你究竟反对什么?
What exactly is it you object to?
反对这位作家还是他的写法?
The writer, or what he’s writing about?
其实我真正反对的是
What I really object to, Uncle,
你喝光了我的炼奶
is your finishing all my condensed milk.
你这本书的字里行间 无论我读得多么慢
And the message everywhere in your book, however slowly I read it,
也是暗示印度最好由英国统治
that the best thing for India is to be ruled by the British.
汉娜 那孩子和我竟求同存异
Hana, we have discovered a shared pleasure, the boy and I.
-为了本书各持己见 -为了炼奶
-Arguing about books? -Condensed milk.
真是匪夷所思
One of the truly great inventions.
我去拿另一瓶吧
I’ll get another tin.
我也不喜欢你那本书 老是写男人的
I didn’t like that book either. It’s all about men.
太多男人了 就像这所房♥子
Too many men. Just like this house.
你喜欢他 是吗? 你的声音都变了
You like him, don’t you? Your voice changes.
不会
No, I don’t think it does.
反正他对我满不在乎
Anyway, he’s indifferent to me.
我认为不是吧
I don’t think it’s indifference.
汉娜刚对我说 你对她做的菜
-Hana was just telling me, you’re indifferent… -Hey!
满不在乎
To her cooking.
我对什么都满不在乎
Well, I’m indifferent to cooking.
并非特别对汉娜做的才这样
Not Hana’s cooking in particular.