山脊形同玉女峰 好 好
A mountain the shape of a woman’s back. Good, good.
-喂 杰佛 -马铎 你好
-Hello, Geoffrey! -Madox, hello!
-欢迎你来观光 -谢谢 我叫杰佛·基夫顿
-Welcome to the expedition. -How do you do? Geoffrey Clifton.
终于见到你们 太好了
Splendid to finally meet you all.
这位是丹蒂 这位是考古学家伯曼
This is Dante D’Agostino and Diggy Bermann, our archaeologist.
这位是埃及学专家沙里夫
-Beautiful plane. -This is Sharif Al Fouad, Egyptologist.
-这位是我太太凯瑟琳-幸会
-And this is my wife, katharine. -Hello.
我们是你的新弟♥子♥
We’re your new apprentices.
欢迎加入国际沙丘俱乐部
-Welcome to the International Sand Club. –
-为国际沙丘俱乐部干杯 -我去拿杯子
-To the International Sand Club. -I’ll get cups.
-飞机很雄伟 你看过了吗? -看过
-Marvelous plane. Did you look? -Yes.
是凯瑟琳父母送的结婚礼物
Isn’t it? A wedding present from katharine’s parents.
我们命名为亲王之熊
We’re calling it Rupert Bear.
-你好 我叫杰佛·基夫顿 -我叫艾马殊
-Hello. Geoffrey Clifton. -Almasy.
我们终于可以把旧飞机扔掉了
We can finally consign my old bird to the scrap heap.
基夫顿太太 我介绍你认识
Mrs. Clifton, I’d like to present…
-艾马殊伯爵 -幸会
-Count Almasy. -Hello.
杰佛把你的论文给我看过 我在沙漠中拜读
Geoffrey gave me your monograph and I was reading up in the desert.
-非常叹服 -过奖了
-Very impressive. -Thank you.
我一直想结识能写长篇巨着 而少用形容词的作者
I wanted to meet the man who could write a long paper with so few adjectives.
妄加修饰 于事无补 描写事物加上形容词
Well, a thing is still a thing, no matter what you place in front of it.
例如 大车 慢车 司机驾驶的车
Big car, slow car, chauffeur-driven car.
-还有破车 -都依然是一辆车子而已
– Broken car. -It’s still a car.
-可破车的用途就大不同嘛 -“爱”字呢?
-Not much use, though. – Love?
有浪漫的爱 有纯情的爱有反哺的爱
Romantic love, platonic love, filial love.
肯定大相径庭吧
-Quite different things, surely. -Uxoriousness.
我有的都是畏妻的爱
That’s my favorite kind of love. Excessive love of one’s wife.
你们把我难倒了
-Now there you have me. –
-他们是旅客吧-绝对不是
-They’re tourists. -Absolute rot.
他们夫妇是皇家地理学会 鼎力推荐来的?
They’re highly recommended by the Royal Geographic Society.
她娇艳欲滴 博览群书
She’s charming and has read everything.
-而他是个出色的飞机师 -我们用不着多一个飞机师
-He’s meant to be a ruddy good flier. -We don’t need another pilot.
他能在空中绘制全程地图
He can make aerial maps of the whole route.
不可以事事在空中探索的
You can’t explore from the air, Madox.
要不然人生太简单了
If you could explore from the air, life would be very simple.
准备
Contact.
准备好了
Contact.
我试试把床移开吧
I should try and move the bed.
我希望你能欣赏美景
I want you to be able to see the view.
是寺院景色 幽雅圣洁
It’s good. It’s a view from a monastery.
-我早已看到了 -你怎可以看到的?
-I can already see. -How?
别靠窗子
-How can you see anything? -No, no, not the window.
光线教我受不了
I can’t bear the light anyway.
我可以一直远观沙漠
I can see all the way to the desert.
我移♥动♥你啦
I’m turning you.
我战前作过探测 绘制地图等
Exploring before the war, making maps.
我眼里有沙子吗? 你在替我清除耳朵里的沙吗?
Is there sand in my eyes? Are you cleaning sand from my ears?
不是沙 是吗♥啡♥引起的反应
No sand. That’s your morphine speaking.
我在景色中可以见到我的妻子
I can see my wife in that view.
你记起更多的事情了吗?
Are you remembering more?
-我可以抽根烟吗? -你疯了吗?
-Could I have a cigarette? -Are you crazy?
你干嘛如此坚决要把我救活?
Why… Why are you so determined to keep me alive?
因为我是个护士
Because I’m a nurse.
漂亮
Bravo.
旧式的番茄
We have an old-fashioned tomato
长岛的甘薯
A Long Island potato
可是我们没有香蕉
But yes We have no bananas
今天没有香蕉吃了
We have no bananas today
-下一位 -凯瑟琳
-Next! -katharine!
皇帝要
“The king insisted that he would find some way…
证明他的妻子
“to prove beyond dispute…
艳压群芳
“that his wife was fairest of all women.
我要把你藏在我们睡的房♥里 坎尼洛说道
“‘I will hide you in your room where we sleep,’ said Candaules…
是埃德洛
-said Candaules.” -Candaules.
坎德洛才对
“Candaules.”
坎德洛
Candaules.
坎德洛对盖斯说 皇后每晚都有这种习惯
Candaules tells Gyges that the Queen has the same practice every night.
她脱掉衣服 放在椅子上
She takes off her clothes…
椅子就在通往她房♥间的门口
and puts them on the chair by the door to her room.
你空闲时
“‘And from where you stand,
站起来也可以看到她
you will be able to gaze on her at your leisure. “‘
那个晚上正如皇帝所言
And that evening, it’s exactly as the king has told him.
她走近椅旁
She goes to the chair,
把衣服逐件脱掉
removes her clothes one by one,
盖斯果然看到她一♥丝♥不♥挂♥
until she’s standing naked in full view of Gyges.
她的美艳令他意想不到
And indeed, she was more lovely than he could have imagined.
皇后抬头一望
But then, the Queen looked up…
看到盖斯躲在阴影里
and saw Gyges concealed in the shadows.
她尽管一言不发 但却颤抖了
And although she said nothing, she shuddered.
翌日
And the next day,
她把盖斯召来加以折磨
she sends for… for Gyges and challenged him.
-她听完他的话对他说 -要他人头落地
-And hearing his story, this is what she said. -Off with his head!
她说 你该
She said, “Either you must submit to death…
因偷♥窥♥我而死
“for gazing on that which you should not,
否则就杀掉侮辱我的丈夫
“or else kill my husband who has shamed me…
取他的皇位而代之
and become king in his place.”
于是 盖斯就武装夺位
So Gyges kills the king,
娶了皇后 统治利西亚廿八年
marries the Queen and becomes ruler of Lydia for 28 years.
讲完了
The end.
要我转动啤酒瓶吗?
Shall I spin the bottle?
杰佛 你要把这故事引以为戒
So, Geoffrey, let that be a lesson to you.
该丹蒂了
– D’Agostino! -D’Agostino!
你睡了吗?
Are you asleep?
是
Yes.
不是 昏昏欲睡而已
No. I’m dropping off.
走开!
Go away!
滚!
Go! Go!
喂
Buon giorno.
-汉娜? -什么事?
-Hana? -What do you want?
我碰到你的朋友玛莉
I met your friend Mary.
她叫我来看看你怎么样了
She said I should stop and see if you were all right.
我们是邻居嘛 在满地可我们的家只隔两条街
Apparently we’re neighbors. My house is two blocks from yours in Montreal.
在卡伯特 是洛里埃的北部
Cabot, north of Laurier.
你早
-Bonjour. -Bonjour.
给你的
For you.
我本来也想邀功的 其实是玛莉送给你的
I’d like to take credit for it, but it’s from Mary.
我叫大卫加纳 但从没人叫我大卫
My name is David Caravaggio, but nobody ever called me David.
老是连名带姓的叫我 取笑我
Caravaggio they find too absurd to miss out on.
糟糕! 我真是笨手笨脚!
Oh, shit. Stupid hands.
让我来吧
Let me do that.
是新鲜的
They’re fresh.
我很久没吃过鸡蛋了
I haven’t had an egg in…
你有留意到小鸡吗?
Have you noticed there are chickens?
在意大利 有小鸡却没有鸡蛋
In Italy, you get chickens but no eggs.
在非洲 鸡蛋倒多着呢 可是没有小鸡
In Africa, they’re always eggs but never chickens.
-真是匪夷所思 -你去过非洲?
-Who’s separating them? -You were in Africa?
对 我去过
Yes, I was.
我的病人也去过
So was my patient.
我想逗留一阵子
Look, I’d like to stay for a while.
我有事要做
I have to do some work here.
我会说本地的语言 要游击队放下武器
I speak the language. There are partisans to be disarmed.
我们要他们解除武装
We embrace them and see if we can relieve them of their weapons,
我们躲藏时
you know, while we hide.
我做过贼 所以军队认为我精于此道
I was a thief, so the army thought I’d be good at it.
-那你是会开枪的了-不
-So you can shoot a pistol? -No.
你这样子会有困难吗
Do you have a problem with those?
不
No.
你走前我该去看看他们
-I should look at them before you go. -Look.
这地方一望无际 我不会滋扰你的
It’s a big place. We needn’t disturb each other.
我睡马棚好了
I’ll sleep in the stable.