I was just kind of a prick. I think he was too. I was unteachable.
我并不是有意在课堂上搞乱子
I don’t think I was actively unpleasant in class.
你可是个讨厌鬼
You were pretty unpleasant.
-够了 贝特西 贝特西 -是真的
Okay, Betsy. Betsy. Really.
噢 我那时挺享受的 挺享受的
Oh, I loved it. I loved it.
-贝特西 这是…-她挺享受的
Betsy, this is… She loved it.
他是个可爱的讨厌鬼
He was pleasantly unpleasant.
这条引语很棒 如果你需要的话
That’s a great quote, if you want to quote something.
嗯 那我就不得不连着那个老师也一起采访下了
I’m gonna have to interview the teacher as well though.
呵呵
Hmm.
明早我有个公共电台采访 得巨早无比地起床
I have to be up unconscionably early for this public radio interview,
所以我们差不多该走了
so we should probably get going.
这就意味着 我也得早起
That means I have to get up early too.
见鬼的你想干啥就干啥 好么
You can do whatever the fuck you want. You know?
睡懒觉也没关系
You can sleep in if you want to.
好啦 那我们送你们回酒店
Well, we’ll get you back to the hotel then.
-结♥帐♥吧 -我来付吧
Check. You know what, I will get the check.
我来 请让我来买♥♥单
I’ll get it. Please, this one is on me.
-其实是詹恩买♥♥单 -不 这次我买♥♥单
Well, it’s on Jann. No, no. It’s on me.
-詹恩是谁 -他老板
Jann? Jann’s his boss.
不 这一单我来付 就是 很高兴认识你们
No, this one is on me. It was just so nice to meet you guys.
-《滚石》先生 -嗯
Mr. Rolling Stone. Yeah.
艾拉妮丝·莫莉塞特”你得知道”
能关下窗吗 冻死了
Can you close the window? It’s fucking freezing.
抱歉 不行 这是我们的中西部低温吸烟之旅
No, sorry, I cannot. This is our hypothermia smoking tour of the Midwest.
低温吸烟之旅 我喜欢
Hypothermia smoking tour. I love that.
-谢了 -听上去像是戴夫会说的话
-Oh, thank you. -Sounds like something Dave would say.
不是吗
Doesn’t it?
-谢了 女士们 -小事儿
Thanks, ladies. Yeah, sure.
-是啊 非常感谢 -嗯 你们明天什么计划
Yeah, thank you so much. Sure. What are you doing tomorrow?
-哦 -还没想好
Oh. I’m not sure yet.
那 你想的话 可以给我们打电♥话♥ 我们在这儿呢
Well, give us a call if you want. We’re here.
好的 会的
Okay. Will do.
-再次感谢你们过来 -非常感谢
Thanks again for coming. Thank you so much.
-认识你很高兴 朱莉
Nice to meet you, Julie.
-再见 贝特西 再见 -再见 戴维
Bye, Betsy. Bye. Bye, David.
-很开心 -是啊 是不错
That was fun. Yeah, it was nice.
-好了 我饿了 -还饿
All right, I’m hungry. Still?
实际那个状况可吓人了
Yeah, it’s terrifying when it’s happening.
是吗 可那是什么感觉
Really? How does it feel though?
人们争相涌入 一长条队伍都想要给你留下好印象
People fighting to get in. A big line of people wanting to impress you.
告诉你吧 我觉得有那么一群读者
I tell you what. I think that having an audience…
我是指非常非常漂亮的姑娘
Like, really, really pretty girls…
都关注着你 而且喜欢你说的话
Who are all paying attention to you and kind of like what you’re saying,
从相当原始的本能层面上 就很叫人满足
that’s gratifying on a fairly, I think, just simple mammal level.
是啊 是什么原因呢
I know. Why is that?
我觉得是因为漂亮姑娘的注意
I think pretty girls are what we most dream and despair of ever having,
正是我们最梦想 最极度渴望得到的
like, pay attention to us.
她们在那儿 坐在前排 给你使着眼色
There they are in the front row making eyes at you.
我觉得我女朋友爱上你了
I think my girlfriend is in love with you.
-扯谈 不 她没有 -不 真的
Come on. No, she’s not. No, really.
我真这么觉得
I think she is.
我感觉她喜欢你的作品多过我的 这让我不太爽
I think she likes your writing better than mine. That’s kind of annoying.
-我们给她打电♥话♥吧 给她打电♥话♥ -什么
Let’s get her on the phone. Get her on the phone. What?
不
No.
不 我不清楚 她…
No. I don’t know. She’s…
她多半已经睡下了
She’s probably sleeping anyway.
来嘛
Please.
-喂 -嗨
Hello? Hi.
-你还好吗 -还好 额 我吵醒你了吗
How’s it going? It’s, uh… Did I wake you up?
不 我还醒着看呢 在看《无尽的玩笑》
No. I’m up reading Infinite Jest.
很好看啊 噢 不错
Pretty amazing. Oh. Good.
听着 我这边有个人想跟你说几句
Listen, I’m here with somebody who wants to talk to you.
-稍等一下 -她叫什么来着
Can you hold on a second? What’s her name again?
-莎拉 -好的 莎拉
It’s Sarah. Yeah. Sarah.
莎拉 嗨 我是戴夫 华♥莱♥士♥
Sarah, hi. It’s Dave Wallace.
很高兴通过电♥话♥认识你
Nice to meet you telephonically.
我也很高兴通过电♥话♥认识你
It’s nice to meet you telephonically as well.
-戴维还乖吗 -我来问问他
Is David behaving himself? Let me ask him.
你乖吗
Are you behaving yourself?
她在问这个
She’s asking that?
我谨慎认为他挺守规矩的
I’m reasonably sure that he is.
不过我并没有24小时盯着他
I don’t have eyes on him 24-7.
莎拉 好吧
Sarah? Okay.
-今晚你在做什么呢 -别问她这个
What are you doin’ tonight? Don’t ask her that.
噢 哇 你是开玩笑的吧 噢天哪
Oh, wow. You’re kidding me. Oh, my gosh.
真的 很棒啊
Yes. It’s awesome.
看到哪里了
What part are you on?
-369页 -哇 已经看了不少了啊
369. Wow, you’re really far along.
-是啊 看得停不下来 -哦 谢谢
I know. I can’t put it down. Oh, thank you.
-要谢谢你 -我是说 这话很动听
Really, thank you. I mean, that’s very flattering.
-那他妈是怎么回事 -怎么了
What the fuck was that about? What?
你跟他在电♥话♥上聊了半小时
You were on the phone with him for half an hour.
没有半小时吧
It wasn’t a half hour.
有 25分钟 好吧 我计时了呢
It was. It was 25 minutes. Okay? I timed it.
只是让你打个招呼的
You were only supposed to say hello.
-戴维 -戴维 我们得出发了
-David? -David, we gotta go.
额 地陪在等着呢
Uh, the escort’s waiting.
嘿 抱歉
Hey. Sorry.
一堆垃圾节目看得停不下来了
I got totally, like, sucked in with this orgy of crap.
同时有台在放《鹰冠庄园》《夏威夷神探》
There’s a simultaneous broadcast of Falcon Crest, Magnum P.I.
和《霹雳娇娃》
and Charlie’s Angels.
-好吧 -完美的大放送
Okay. A perfect storm of shit.
-我马上就出来 好吗 -好
I’ll be out in a second, okay? Okay.
现在就打电♥话♥订购 可免费获得健身教程视频…
Call now to order and get this free workout video…
配备完整指导 以及16课时的下班后训练
with complete instructions and 16 ab-work exercises.
再加我的20分钟有氧运动 一站提供你所需的一切
Plus my 20-minute aerobic workout. That’s everything you need.
-你先进去 -你绕那边
Here, go in. Can you go around?
-好的 当然 -谢谢
Yeah, yeah. Sure. Thanks.
你就穿成这样去
You’re wearing that?
去一个电台采访 额 是啊
For a radio interview? Uh, yes.
嗨 戴夫 戴夫·华♥莱♥士♥
Hi. Dave. Dave Wallace.
我知道你是谁
I know who you are.
这是我的抄写员 博斯韦尔先生
My amanuensis… Mr. Boswell.
-博斯韦尔先生 你好 -干得漂亮 你好
-Mr. Boswell. -Very clever. Hi.
走这边
Right this way.
我们用数码录音 希望你不介意
We record digitally. I hope that’s okay.
我只能给是或不的回答吗
So just yes or no answers?
-很好笑 -嘿
That’s very funny. Hey.
-怎么了 -你要是敢把我写得劣迹斑斑
What? Hey. You do a really mean job with this,
-如何 -我有20年时间可以报复你
Yeah? I got, like, 20 years to get you back.
-记住啊 -你不会有事儿的
You remember that. You’re gonna be fine.
今天的嘉宾是大卫·福斯特·华♥莱♥士♥
My guest today is David Foster Wallace,
在文坛冉冉升起的新星…
who has burst on the literary scene…
他的小说《无尽的玩笑》
with his 1,079-page,
长达1079页
three-pound, three-ounce novel,
重达三斤
Infinite Jest.
杰伊·麦金纳尼称之为
Jay McInerney called it
“冯内古特般柔滑的骨架…包裹在
“something like a sleek Vonnegut chassis…”
后千禧年版本的左拉之中”
wrapped in layers of post-millennial Zola.”
大卫·福斯特·华♥莱♥士♥ 欢迎来到我们的节目
David Foster Wallace, welcome to our show.
谢谢 很高兴能来这里
Thank you. I’m glad to be here.
我们开始吧 你曾说过
All right. Now,
你把自己视作 我来引用你的原话
you have said you saw yourself as, quote,
“一个异常害羞与无比自大的结合体”
“a combination of being incredibly shy and being an egomaniac too.”
我想我还说过”爱出风头”这个词
I believe I said “exhibitionist” also.
意思是
Meaning?
我认为害羞基本就意味着内敛到…
I think being shy basically means being self-absorbed…
很难有别人能在周围的程度
to the extent that it makes it difficult to be around other people.
难是对你来说还是对别人来说
Difficult for you or difficult for the other people?
额 我想应该两者皆有吧
Ah. I suppose a little bit of both.