No, she didn’t. Yeah.
我会的 我一定会
I will. I definitely will.
唔…
Um…
嘿 我在想 等我回到纽约后
Hey, I was wondering. When I get back to New York,
如果我想了解下比如戴夫在大学里的情况
if I have any questions about what Dave was like in grad school or something,
-我能写邮件问你吗 -当然 只要戴夫同意
can I e-mail you? Sure, if it’s okay with Dave.
我相信戴夫不会介意的
I’m sure it’s fine with Dave.
-太好了 能给我留个邮箱吗 -当然 额 可以
That’s great. So can I take your e-mail address then? Sure. Uh, yeah.
-那就太好了 谢谢
Oh, that’d be great. Thank you.
你就写在你的书上吧
You could just write it on your book.
-多谢 -看得清吗
Thank you so much. Can you read that?
看得出写的是字母 没问题的 多谢
I can see that it is letters. But, no, I’ll be fine. Thank you so much.
没事儿
Sure.
-你直接喝水龙头放出来的水 -对
-So, do you drink out of the tap? -Yes.
好吧 不错
Okay, great.
你在…你在干什么
What are you… What are you doing?
什么
What?
我看到你在跟贝特西调情
I saw you hitting on Betsy.
调情…我只是…我在跟她说话而已
Hitting on… I was… I was talking to her.
戴维 我看到了
David. I saw you.
你跟她要了地址
You got her to give you her address.
不 不 我跟她要了邮件地址
No, no, no. I got her to give me her e-mail address.
只是以防写你这篇文章时有问题想问
In case I had questions about the piece that I am writing about you.
-是吗 好吧 -是的 真的
Really? Okay. Yeah, really.
-好吧 老实说 -什么
Well, I’ll tell you what. What?
我不希望她跟你走太近
I don’t want her talking to you.
-我不会联♥系♥她的 -听着…
-I won’t contact her. -Look…
我跟你说过 读研究生那会儿 贝特西跟我约过会
I told you that Betsy and I dated during grad school.
最起码…看着我…最起码…你还没看着我
The least… Look at me. The least you could… No, you’re not.
最起码 你要对我表示尊重…
The least you could do is show me the respect…
别在我面前勾搭她
of not coming on to her right in front of me.
戴夫 我很抱歉看起来会是这个样子
Dave, I’m sorry if it looked that way.
那并不是我的意图
That was not my intention.
我怎么会去跟一个住在圣保罗的人发展关系呢
And why would I want to get involved with somebody who lives in Saint Paul?
我不知道
I don’t know.
你不是已经跟一个住在洛杉矶的人确定关系了嘛
You’re already involved with somebody who lives in Los Angeles.
好吧
Okay.
你们还好吗
Are you okay?
嗯 一切都好 谢谢
Yeah, everything’s fine. Thank you.
好吧
Okay.
离她远点 行不
Stay away from her, okay?
做个好人
Be a good guy.
我错过什么了吗
What’d I miss?
你错过了一切 其实没有啦
Everything. Nothing. Everything?
一切 有点夸张了吧
That seems like a gross exaggeration.
不 不 不
No. No! No!
不 不 不
No! No! No!
不
No!
9块5 谢谢
9.50, please.
-我来吧 -没事 我账户里的钱管够
I got it. It’s all right. My expense account will pay for it.
嗯 我的也能 说了让我来
Yeah, so will mine. I said I got it.
谢谢
Thank you.
嘿 额…
Hey, um…
晚安
Good night.
-所以你是在调情吗 -莎拉 我当然没有
Were you flirting? Sarah. Of course I was not flirting.
他就…对我火山爆发了
He just… He went completely crazy on me.
嗯 戴维 你确实经常这么干 知道吗
Well, you do that, David, you know?
你自己都意识不到
You’re not even aware of it.
抱歉我…我♥干♥什么了
Sorry, I do… What do I do?
你就是情不自禁地会去勾搭人
You’re compulsively flirtatious.
好吧 现在连你都站在他那边了
Okay. Well, now you’re taking his side.
-我没有 -你有 听着 我…
I am not. Yes, you are. Listen, I…
我太累了 好吧
I think I’m just really tired, okay?
我得挂了
I gotta go.
戴维
David?
戴维
David?
早啊
Good morning!
-嗨 -这个早上过得好吗
Hi. And how are we this morning?
我坐前面吧
Think I’ll sit up front.
喔 好的 让我先把东西拿走
Oh. Okay. Let me just, um, move my stuff.
好了 坐吧
There you go.
好了
Okay.
怎么
What?
你没想到把停车位置记下来
You didn’t think to write down where we parked the car?
不 没有 行不
No. I didn’t. Okay?
抱歉 我搞砸了 行了吧 我是个傻♥逼♥
Sorry. I fucked up. All right? I’m a fuckup.
不是人人都能像你这样厉害的
Not everybody can be as brilliant as you.
-你什么情况 -你♥他♥妈♥什么情况
What is with you? What the fuck is with you?
我必须说出来 你有点…
I gotta say, there’s something…
可以说是惺惺作态
basically false about your approach here.
-什么意思”惺惺作态” -对 我认为 唔…
What do you mean “false”? Yeah, I think it’s, uh…
我认为这是你社交策略的一部分
I think it’s part of your whole social strategy.
哪方面
In what way?
你还是觉得你比别人聪明
You still feel you’re smarter than other people.
-噢 是吗 -没错
Oh, really? Yeah, yeah.
但你表现得像是身在少儿棒球比赛里
But you act like you’re in a kids’ softball game,
你留着劲儿不发力 好让小孩们…
but holding back his power-hitting to try and make it more competitive…
不会被你比下去
for the little ones, you know?
-我几时这样过了 -现在就是 过去三天里也是
When? Here. Now. The past three days.
这就是你的社交策略之一
It’s part of your social strategy.
-你这人很难搞 你知道不 -多露骨啊
You’re a tough room, you know that? It’s so obvious,
你那种藏着掖着聪明才智 来跟…
the way you hold back your intelligence to be with people who are, uh,
比你年轻 或者不如你机灵的人接触
younger than you or not as agile as you.
-要真这样我不就是个大混♥蛋♥了么 -呵呵
That would make me a real asshole, wouldn’t it? Well.
我并不觉得作家就比其他人聪明
I don’t think writers are smarter than other people.
可能还是他们的愚蠢更引人入胜些
I think they may be more compelling in their stupidity.
或是他们的困惑
Or in their confusion.
但我相信我变得越来越聪明的 真正原因之一…
But I think one of the real ways I have gotten smarter…
恰在于我不认为我比别人聪明那么多
is I don’t think I’m that much smarter than other people.
没错哈
That’s right.
别人会有许多地方要比我聪明得多
There are ways in which other people are a lot smarter than me.
而且我得告诉你 那…
And I gotta tell you, it…
-那让我感到有点孤单 -什么
It makes me feel kinda lonely. What?
我跟你说起过的那些事里 有万分真实的一些东西在
There’s been certain stuff I’ve told you that’s been really true.
-要很勇敢才会说出来 -不不不 那是当然
-I think it’s been brave of me. -No, no, no. Absolutely.
我自己也写过很多这种东西 我有足够的经验知道…
I’ve written enough of these pieces to know…
-你可以有一百种方式来写这篇文章 -你说得没错
you can write this up a hundred different ways. You’re right.
而其中九♥成♥的写法里 我的形象会是个碉堡的混♥蛋♥
Ninety of which I’m gonna come across as a monumental asshole.
而现在看起来 你的解读是
And now it seems to me like your read on this is,
“喔 戴夫为了这个采访
“Wow. What an interesting persona Dave is adopting…
装出来的形象真耐人寻味啊”
“for the purposes of this interview.”
不 我不是这个意思
No, that’s not what I’m saying.
如果我们是通过电邮来交谈
If we had done this by the mail,
如果我能去图书馆 如果我可以查找些资料…
if I had access to my library, if I could look stuff up…
对我来说理想化的方式是
My dream for this would be for you to write it up,
你写完以后把文章发给我…
send it to me…
-让我自己把引用部分重写一遍 -对呀
-and let me rewrite all my quotes. -Right.
不过显然 你绝不会同意的
Which, of course, you’ll never do.
但 如果我在一间屋子里
But if I’m in a room…
独自一人 时间充裕 我可以变得极其聪明
by myself, alone, and I have time, I can be really smart.
没错 我是觉得自己聪明
Yes, I think I’m bright.
有才华 我不是要搞得很虚伪的样子…
I think I’m talented. I’m not trying to sound disingenuous…
-哦 你没有吗 -我不是傻瓜
-Oh, no? -I am not an idiot.
没错 我是可以跟你聊得很有深度
Yes, I can talk intelligently with you about stuff,
但我跟不上你的节奏
but I can’t quite keep up with you.
-得了 这就完全是胡扯了 -噢 相信我
-Okay. That is such bullshit. -Oh, believe me.
我不是在装作一副”啊呀 我刚从…
I am not doing some sorta like, “Aw, shucks.”
乡下过来 我不是什么真正的作家
I’m just in from the country. I’m not a real writer.
我就是个普通人”的样子 我没在跟你胡诌鬼扯
“I’m a regular guy” thing. I’m not trying to lay some shit on you.
可是你刚刚又来了一次
But you did it again though.
你表面恭维我 实际只是屈尊俯就